Passive Keyless Entry/Push Button Start advice by Fiervette
Started on: 11-17-2014 01:26 PM
Replies: 17 (1287 views)
Last post by: Taijiguy on 12-09-2014 10:19 AM
Fiervette

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FiervetteSend a Private Message to FiervetteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want to put Passive Keyless Entry (PKE) and push button start (PBS) on my LS1 Fiero. I am looking for recommendations of what system to buy. I have done a search and can't find anything posted on this forum in the last 4 years. Since this technology is rapidly evolving, the systems discussed in these older posts are now discontinued. I have looked and see cheap Ebay Chinese systems start about $120. Much more appealing looking systems cost up to $700 or $800. I am probably looking to spend in the $350 range. I will disable the steering lock and use the security features of the PASSKEY system built into my OBD-II PCM, in addition to the security features and alarm of the PKE/PBS system.

Does anyone have any recent experience with one of these systems? It doesn't have to be a Fiero. In fact, use on anything early LS or 3800 equipped might be more relevant to me.

Any advice other than "DON'T DO IT, your car will be stolen" is welcome. If somebody really wants your car and has a tow vehicle, you can't stop them.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.advancedkeys.com/

I have AK-104B system installed on my car since March of 2012 and haven't had any problems with it. I would highly recommend it.
NeoNot

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2014 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NeoNotSend a Private Message to NeoNotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMHO it is hard to beat a Viper system.
For the price you are listing you could get a complete security system plus remote start and auto doors, installed at my local audio stores.

Most of the keyless entry systems around here include remote start and run $150 installed.
Check with your local car audio store and see what they offer and if they have a special running on them right now.
With winter approaching this is one of the times these systems go on sale around here.
Our local shops will run a buy a remote start system and get a free install, etc.....
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2014 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I personally have these installed in 2 of my Fieros.
It works great and has more features than you can shake a stick at:

http://www.innovativeigniti...m/#!gsm-31-rfid/cw16
KentsOkay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2014 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentsOkaySend a Private Message to KentsOkayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I work for a major electronics seller that rhymes with Rest Rye, installing car audio and convenience systems. I would strongly recommend a professionally installed Viper/DEI system. I get people in with fleabay remote starts they haphazardly cobbled together with t taps and duct tape, asking for me to "just take a look, I installed it correctly but I think there is a loose wire!". Don't be that guy. A system that does what you want will be more than previously stated, but a lifetime warranty good throughout the US is worth it in my opinion.

That's my two cents.

Fiervette

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2014 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FiervetteSend a Private Message to FiervetteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I appreciate the advice everyone has given.

I have been looking at the both the Innovative Ignitions and the Advanced Keys systems. They are about the same price for a non-GSM connected system. Innovative Ignitions has the GPS/GSM Bluetooth systems, but I don't know if I want to pay extra for those. I don't think that I want to track my car and it is a stick so I can't start it remotely. The Bluetooth sounds cool, but I often lock my phone in the car, so that defeats the purpose.

Although there have been 2 recommendations for Viper, I don't see that they offer a system with the features I am looking for. My car already has an aftermarket Keyless entry. I am not looking for remote start. My car is manual, and I would not be able to use that feature anyway. I am not especially concerned about a security system, although all of the recommended system have one. I am looking for PASSIVE keyless entry (just approach the car) and (KEYLESS) push button start. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I can't find a Viper system with either of those features. If there is one, a specific model recommendation would be helpful. If Viper does have a system with those features, I would definitely consider it because that company is much better established and has an excellent reputation. They just don't seem to have what I am seeking.

I do also appreciate the professional advice, but I will install this myself. My car has been custom wired by ME when I installed the LS1 V8 engine. I have cheat sheets on how I wired it, but I don't plan on making a full schematic that would be needed by an installer. I don't want to put some technician in that position of guessing how it currently works.

I am leaning toward the Innovative Ignitions PKE-100-U.

I do have another question, how/where did you mount the start switch?
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2014 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I mounted my start button in the center console by the radio before my dash swap

And after my dash swap:

KentsOkay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentsOkaySend a Private Message to KentsOkayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't know how much work you had into the car, with that in mind definitely do it yourself haha. Here's the passive entry module: 2102T http://www.amazon.com/Direc...ansmit/dp/B0096DLZLK
KentsOkay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentsOkaySend a Private Message to KentsOkayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

KentsOkay

25 posts
Member since Feb 2014
Did you want remote start as well? If not, all you need should be in that kit, then some relays and switches for your PTS.

http://www.manualslib.com/m...cs-2102t.html#manual

[This message has been edited by KentsOkay (edited 11-24-2014).]

KentsOkay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2014 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentsOkaySend a Private Message to KentsOkayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WHEELIE

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2014 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WHEELIEClick Here to visit WHEELIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to WHEELIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check out the " digital guard dog" it is made for harley motorcycles but should be simple to wire into a car.
Wheelie
PFF
System Bot
omninate

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2014 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for omninateClick Here to visit omninate's HomePageSend a Private Message to omninateEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:
I have AK-104B system installed on my car since March of 2012 and haven't had any problems with it. I would highly recommend it.

Where in the Fiero did you position the antennas for this system?
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2014 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to install this one after I finish my swap, as part of the dash build-

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0...oliid=I309BMSSS3EO09

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2014 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I made a custom start button at http://www.autoloc.com/products/buttonbuilder/

22mm button and Glows "Fiero" when the car is turned on.

They have the "Fiero" on file now for future orders:

I placed it where it belongs...replacing the key core:
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by omninate:

Where in the Fiero did you position the antennas for this system?

One is in the left upper corner of the rear window and the other is in the left lower corner of the windshield. The bypass antenna is just above the VIN number plate. You can PM me if you have more questions.
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXOPIE:

I made a custom start button at http://www.autoloc.com/products/buttonbuilder/

22mm button and Glows "Fiero" when the car is turned on.

They have the "Fiero" on file now for future orders:

I placed it where it belongs...replacing the key core:

Just curious, what did you do to handle all the other functions of the ignition switch?
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The system from Innovative Ignitions handles them.
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ah, I gotcha, that post slipped by me. So you replaced their pushbutton with the one you showed. Nicely done.

I'm building a custom dash anyway, so I'll end up blanking and smoothing the key area on the column when I do mine.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock