Bought an 85 GT, have a question. by Thunder1295
Started on: 11-02-2014 05:41 AM
Replies: 15 (339 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 11-05-2014 02:28 PM
Thunder1295

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 05:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunder1295Send a Private Message to Thunder1295Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello everyone one, I owned 2 Fiero's back in the 80's, had a 1984 SE that I put over 300,000 clicks on, traded it in for an 88 with the 4 banger in it, reason like the 5 speed found
the 4 speed always revving high on the highway, I ended up putting 430 clicks on the iron duke and never touching the motor. Anyways my question is on this 85 GT with the V6 in it there are 2 pipes coming out of the trunk, engine side going into the engine compartment and not hooked up to anything, no idea what that can be, maybe someone can explain what they are.
Picking her up today but have to fix the tranny line under the drivers door first, leaking big time.
Thxs for the help and looking forward to reliving a bit of my passed and what better way then starting with a Fiero.
Jim

[This message has been edited by Thunder1295 (edited 11-02-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 05:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pretty sure you are talking about cooling pipes for the coil and alt. They come from the fan on the passengers side of the trunk.
Thunder1295

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 05:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunder1295Send a Private Message to Thunder1295Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So does it just blow air onto them to cool it? thats it?

[This message has been edited by Thunder1295 (edited 11-02-2014).]

Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's it. It's just a basic drum fan that flows cool air from the trunk over the electrical components most likely to fail due to heat.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome, Thunder!
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep. If you look under the passenger side trunk carpet you will see a blower fan motor. It blows it along a tube (which is formed by the sheet metal in the truck) and into those metal tubes you are seeing.
Thunder1295

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunder1295Send a Private Message to Thunder1295Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thxs for info, that answers my question. now to go get her and make it back I hope..lol
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2014 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That rear fan is kind of useless. Pull it out and check the metal behind it. chances are that you'll find cancer back there. You can remove the rear fan without consequence.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2014 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carcenomy:

It's just a basic drum fan that flows cool air from the trunk over the electrical components most likely to fail due to heat.

The air that the fan blows is drawn from the area behind the wheel well, not from the trunk itself.

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

That rear fan is kind of useless...You can remove the rear fan without consequence.

Arn, that might be your opinion, but not one shared by many (most?) who have the factory V6 in their '85-'87 Fieros. That plus the fact that you no longer even have the V6 back there.

And Thunder1295... please don't start two different threads on the same topic.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-03-2014).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
johnyrottin.....the duct is actually plastic and lays along the shelf at the front of the trunk
Arn...the fan is very beneficial with the old style alternator on the pre-88's. If its not working, alternator life is decreased dramatically. It was eliminated in the 88's because the CS series alternators run much cooler.
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Olejoedad, it is also beneficial to the ignition coil and ignition control module. Along with the CS alternator of 88, they also moved the exhaust away from the ignition coil and distributor and shielded the exhaust. That combination of changes allowed for the elimination of the engine bay fan. I know you knew that but just didn't post it.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 11-04-2014).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are correct....I knew that......
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 87 GT has the fan and cooling tubes My 88 GT does not. I have replaced the 88's GT alternator 3 x while the 87 is still running the original alternator. Use your own judgment as to its benefits.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Arn, that might be your opinion, but not one shared by many (most?) who have the factory V6 in their '85-'87 Fieros. That plus the fact that you no longer even have the V6 back there.

And Thunder1295... please don't start two different threads on the same topic.

When I had my v6 I disconnected the rear fan. Under it was cancer which I had to cut and fix. It is intended to blow air at the coil and the alternator, however, I moved my coil to the firewall. The alternator did fine. You'll find that the later cars did not have the blower. 88's I believe none had it.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

When I had my v6 I disconnected the rear fan. It is intended to blow air at the coil and the alternator, however, I moved my coil to the firewall. The alternator did fine. You'll find that the later cars did not have the blower. 88's I believe none had it.

The fact that 88's didn't have the blower/fan has no bearing on what can or should be done to stock '85-'87 V6 Fieros. This has been addressed many many times in this forum and twice in this thread alone!

Originally posted by olejoedad:

...the fan is very beneficial with the old style alternator on the pre-88's. If its not working, alternator life is decreased dramatically. It was eliminated in the 88's because the CS series alternators run much cooler.

Originally posted by fierofool:

...it is also beneficial to the ignition coil and ignition control module. Along with the CS alternator of 88, they also moved the exhaust away from the ignition coil and distributor and shielded the exhaust. That combination of changes allowed for the elimination of the engine bay fan.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock