t-top mystery by Michiganman
Started on: 08-25-2014 08:19 PM
Replies: 32 (1513 views)
Last post by: GTMN on 07-13-2015 10:24 PM
Michiganman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichiganmanSend a Private Message to MichiganmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have t-top glass that the po says came from a fiero he cannibalized. The glass is 2 inches bigger (front to back) than my c&c fiero tops. Was there a bigger kit available for the Fiero?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sounds like he confused "fiero t-top" with "firebird t-top" .....
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The kits and factory tops were all the same accept for the one piece and two piece gaskets.

The glass is one size fits all.
Indyellowgt

Feedback score:    (35)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya know... I was saw a pic years ago of a ttop Fiero that had glass that went beyond the seals and all the way to the roof line,meaning there was no rear molding.. it had the front
Molding,then glass all the way back to the rear clip... It was shrugged off by some Fiero guys that I know. I lost track of the car and don't know what ever happened to it..
While I agree that all the ttop cars had the same set up,I'm willing to believe that there are possibly some 'proto' glass/roofs out there..
Not only would the P seal have to be relocated,the center bar,and glass bars would have to be longer as well... interesting,,,
I know fieroparts.com here in Maine got the actual ttop assembly straight from C&C years ago.. was quite a piece of history to look at...
Post up some pics of the glass,or better yet find a ttop car and see if that bad boy looks like it could drop in there.....

[This message has been edited by Indyellowgt (edited 08-25-2014).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Indyellowgt:

Ya know... I was saw a pic years ago of a ttop Fiero that had glass that went beyond the seals and all the way to the roof line,meaning there was no rear molding.. it had the front
Molding,then glass all the way back to the rear clip... It was shrugged off by some Fiero guys that I know. I lost track of the car and don't know what ever happened to it..
While I agree that all the ttop cars had the same set up,I'm willing to believe that there are possibly some 'proto' glass/roofs out there..
Not only would the P seal have to be relocated,the center bar,and glass bars would have to be longer as well... interesting,,,
I know fieroparts.com here in Maine got the actual ttop assembly straight from C&C years ago.. was quite a piece of history to look at...
Post up some pics of the glass,or better yet find a ttop car and see if that bad boy looks like it could drop in there.....

I saw that car too. It was a green (I think) 88 GT. Was for sale in the mall, here.
Those roof panels are probably two of... maybe four in existence.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Raydar

40712 posts
Member since Oct 1999
Edit - The car was for sale in the Mall. The seller was curyan910.
I don't know who the buyer was.

Here are some pics.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-25-2014).]

Strappado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StrappadoSend a Private Message to StrappadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that doesn't look too bad. wonder how well it seals?
AL68

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL68Send a Private Message to AL68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw an 88 coupe at a u-pull-it earlier this year that looked like that. The glass was gone, no rear bar & the rear seal looked like someone modified a garage door bottom seal to fit it.
I thought someone tried to fit Firebird glass on it.

I grabbed a few of the remaining t-top plastic pieces, the dome light assembly had a cover that fit over it after the corners were cut off.
Maybe an aftermarket kit?

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2014 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be curious if the car had the RPO code for T TOP.
Indyellowgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2014 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work,Raydar!
I don't know about you,but that looks A THOUSAND TIMES BETTER THAN STOCK!

Where did that glass come from ?!?!?!?!
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2014 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could the have taken a Mustang top and them put the side part from the Fiero on the glass some how?

The back gasket looks like something non production but it works.

I to am curious on what they used for the glass.

I know the last T top that was installed was just like all the other kits. and the early prototyped was just like the last kit. The only deviation was the gasket on the factory cars.
PFF
System Bot
Michiganman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2014 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichiganmanSend a Private Message to MichiganmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I get my t-top car back from painter I will set the "mystery" glass on it to see if it would fit with the rear trim removed.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nice work,Raydar!
I don't know about you,but that looks A THOUSAND TIMES BETTER THAN STOCK!

Where did that glass come from ?!?!?!?!

Thanks! I liked the way they looked, too.
Looks like they had a different kind of wind seal instead of the fabric P-seals as well. I'm specifically looking at the rolled... whatever it is, between the header trim piece and the weather seal. I don't recall that being on the "normal" installation.

IIRC, one of the other pics posted on his album (it's still on Photobucket) showed a C&C emblem.
I suggested in the original owner's thread that he might want to contact Tim at fieroparts.com and see if he knew anything about the odd design, but he was more interested in just selling it.
In retrospect, I wish I would have bought it, but it was too far away and I generally don't buy cars sight-unseen.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-04-2014).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
maybe a modified glass from camaro/firebird. Glass is the same, but the locking attachment was used from a Fiero
Indyellowgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Thanks! I liked the way they looked, too.
Looks like they had a different kind of wind seal instead of the fabric P-seals as well. /Snip/ He might want to contact Tim at fieroparts.com and see if he knew anything about the odd design, but he was more interested in just selling it.
In retrospect, I wish I would have bought it...

I remember telling Tim about it,and he immediately discounted it...
I know I have two ttop cars and I have never liked the way the rear moldings and P seal looks in the back.. even the front moulding is hokey...unfortunately, the ttops have that aftermarket sunroof look to them.. not seamless.. but that larger glass would certainly help that... as long as you don't wind up with a leaker,rattler and a whistling roof in the wind... uhhh wait,they do that anyways!
Indyellowgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Indyellowgt

1950 posts
Member since Dec 2000

Originally posted by Michiganman:

When I get my t-top car back from painter I will set the "mystery" glass on it to see if it would fit with the rear trim removed.

Hey,Michiganman. That would be excellent.. please share with us your findings..
If it isn't too much trouble,maybe you could get us some dimensions of the glass,some pics from different angles and any other info about them so we can all go into junkyard mode and start scouring for this glass!

What color are you getting your car done in? So nice to have a freshly painted rig.....
Mark
Michiganman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MichiganmanSend a Private Message to MichiganmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey,Michiganman. That would be excellent.. please share with us your findings..
If it isn't too much trouble,maybe you could get us some dimensions of the glass,some pics from different angles and any other info about them so we can all go into junkyard mode and start scouring for this glass!

What color are you getting your car done in? So nice to have a freshly painted rig.....
Mark

I will measure and photograph with comparison pics of my known Fiero t-top glass.
I'm painting my car "1980 trans am metallic gold" (can't remember what GM calls it)

Indyellowgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice! Thanks!
Post up pics of the car too. Should look sweet!
Michiganman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichiganmanSend a Private Message to MichiganmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car back from paint today. Here are comparison pics of t-tops. The mystery t-top is 22" wide across bottom edge. 24-1\2" across top. Dimension from window to center spine is same as the stock '87 t-top.
PO is still positive the t-tops in question came from a fiero. ??????????????????????? Whuddayathink?

http://s255.photobucket.com...photos/library/t-top

P.S. busy putting the trim back on. Paint turned out good.
Indyellowgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm pics don't wanna work for me..
Hopefully we can get a shot of the glass and your freshly painted ride up.
Thanks for sharing! Kinda stoked about this glass...
Michiganman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2014 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichiganmanSend a Private Message to MichiganmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PO is sure the ttops came from a fiero. Anyone else have a suggestion before I let this thread die?
PFF
System Bot
FieroScott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2014 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroScottSend a Private Message to FieroScottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks like a T-Top Glass from a Dodge Daytona, and they removed the rear plastic trim on the Fiero to make it fit.

------------------
88 Red GT 5sp T-Top CJB #1139
88 Yellow Formula 5sp
87 Black GT 5sp
87 Med. Red SE Auto T-Top
86 Black GT 4sp T-Top (Black Knight)
84 IRM (Prototype) Turbo Fastback T-Top
Dr Pepper Go Kart
2008 Red HHR SS
2008 White Trailblazer 3-LT

Michiganman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2014 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichiganmanSend a Private Message to MichiganmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Sure would like to find out so I can sell them.
AL68

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL68Send a Private Message to AL68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's an 84 with 38k on Craiglist now with no rear trim, glass all the way back to the painted top.

Owner says he has paperwork, maybe has info on the T-tops?

84 fiero

edit - fixed link

[This message has been edited by AL68 (edited 11-11-2014).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The header trim looks to be wider than the C&C standard Fiero t-top piece. I wonder if this is from another company, or an early version of a C&C top, maybe a few prototypes exist.... It would be nice to see the paperwork.

(I was taking about the CL list, btw).

Also, I wonder if C&C went with smaller panels for ease of storage in the vehicle.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 11-10-2014).]

ardenQ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ardenQSend a Private Message to ardenQEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To clear up some confusion the ttop kit was from C&C and was their earlier kit made for fieros. I installed it back in the day.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool, you found the thread
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ardenQ:

To clear up some confusion the ttop kit was from C&C and was their earlier kit made for fieros. I installed it back in the day.

Cool! I never believed that the longer glass pieces were anything other than an early kit designed for the Fiero.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You better keep an eye on that Fiero. There are 2 other gentalmen looking for their long lost love...

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/092410.html Sold this car a while back... looking for an update on it, if you're on here by curyan910
GTMN

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2015 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMNSend a Private Message to GTMNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found this pic from the Chicago Tribune from July 1984

I think it answers where the longer tops came from.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2015 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTMN:
I think it answers where the longer tops came from.

Cool. Still from C&C.
Apparently they revised the design some time after '84.
Interesting. I'll bet those are a b!tch to find parts for.
PFF
System Bot
GTMN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2015 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMNSend a Private Message to GTMNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, no kidding, good luck trying to replace seals on those.
GTMN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2015 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMNSend a Private Message to GTMNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

GTMN

355 posts
Member since Sep 2005
Here's the news clip that was with the photo.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock