Help me select a yellow paint by craigtbone
Started on: 07-28-2014 11:24 AM
Replies: 53 (1638 views)
Last post by: craigtbone on 11-10-2014 08:34 PM
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Best Yellow for a Fiero IMHO

IP: Logged
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMHO Competition Yellow 2009 MX-5 Miata Paint Code (A6Y)...but if you notice...I have no yellow cars...just saying!

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 10-12-2014).]

KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2014 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sorry...what was the question again?
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2014 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LZeitgeist:

I opted for PPG Ferrari 'Giallo Modena' yellow, PPG #4305.

I've seen a few that were Corvette yellow, and while eye-catching, were slightly too harsh to my eye (sorry, Phil!). The Giallo Modena is a bright yellow without the harshness, but it's more yellow than the OEM stock Fiero 'banana yellow' color that looked faded even when new (IMHO).

The Giallo Modena is also proven to look good on cars that have similar body lines to ours, so it's got that going for it, too...

Is this the color known as Ferrari "Fly Yellow"? Does it have more white in the pigment?
craigtbone

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2014 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigtboneSend a Private Message to craigtboneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kurt, that is a magnificent color. More of a blue-ish yellow I would call it.

Solo, would you by chance be able to get any more photos of your friend's GT with the yellow lace wheels? I have not been totally happy with my black lace wheels, the pattern does not show real well in black. But the yellow lace jumps out.

Craig T.
mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2014 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigtbone:

Kurt, that is a magnificent color. More of a blue-ish yellow I would call it.

Solo, would you by chance be able to get any more photos of your friend's GT with the yellow lace wheels? I have not been totally happy with my black lace wheels, the pattern does not show real well in black. But the yellow lace jumps out.

Craig T.

I took this picture of it on the Hot Rod Power Tour but did not get a good shot of wheels

[This message has been edited by mrfred8 (edited 10-14-2014).]

LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I opted for PPG Ferrari 'Giallo Modena' yellow, PPG #4305.

I've seen a few that were Corvette yellow, and while eye-catching, were slightly too harsh to my eye (sorry, Phil!). The Giallo Modena is a bright yellow without the harshness, but it's more yellow than the OEM stock Fiero 'banana yellow' color that looked faded even when new (IMHO).

The Giallo Modena is also proven to look good on cars that have similar body lines to ours, so it's got that going for it, too...

Originally posted by Rick 88:

Is this the color known as Ferrari "Fly Yellow"? Does it have more white in the pigment?

Yes, it is sometimes incorrectly identified as 'Fly Yellow' - reasons for this nickname (and sources for the confusion) vary. http://www.ferrarichat.com/...iallo-fly-color.html

Reading through the thread I linked to, it is claimed that the color known as 'Giallo FLY' is actually somewhat closer to schoolbus yellow - there is more orange in it than there is in 'Giallo Modena'.

Because of the variations in the etymology, I would not order it as 'Fly Yellow' in a paint shop - if you order Ferrari 'Giallo Modena' ('giallo' being Italian for 'yellow' and Modena referring to the town in Italy identified by the crest from which the color is taken) there will be no confusion whatsoever.

I watched them mix it in the paint shop, and yes, there is some white, as well as 3(?) different yellow tints added to the mix.

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com

1988 Fiero Formula - Automoda convertible
repainted PPG Ferrari 'Giallo Modena' yellow
1988 Fiero 4-cyl Coupe - Dad's car, the Indy 'clone'
(soon to be back on the road after a 6 year rest)

[This message has been edited by LZeitgeist (edited 10-16-2014).]

craigtbone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2014 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigtboneSend a Private Message to craigtboneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for posting that photo mrfred8. I keep trying to turn my monitor but I still can't see the wheels any better. By the way, you posted a photo of a yellow Fiero a few posts back. Is that yours and is it Corvette yellow?

The yellow painted GT lace wheels are intriguing me. I sure would love to see some more photos of yellow Fieros with yellow wheels but probably not too many of them. How about other same color car & wheel photos?

The original Fiero wheels (have I heard them referred to as turbine pattern wheels?) never quite excited me. I am thinking that they might look good painted. Has anyone painted those? Photos please if you got them!

Craig T.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2014 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of my favorite Yellow GTs:

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2014 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice choice on the Corvette yellow!

I have one painted just like that:

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2014 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's one that pushes the "yellow" limit.

1970 Pontiac "Orbit Orange"
It's darker than a pure yellow with a hint of orange in it. Like a cross between yellow and orange. I think it's amazing in person.
PFF
System Bot
GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2014 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, it is sometimes incorrectly identified as 'Fly Yellow' - reasons for this nickname (and sources for the confusion) vary. http://www.ferrarichat.com/...iallo-fly-color.html

Reading through the thread I linked to, it is claimed that the color known as 'Giallo FLY' is actually somewhat closer to schoolbus yellow - there is more orange in it than there is in 'Giallo Modena'.

Because of the variations in the etymology, I would not order it as 'Fly Yellow' in a paint shop - if you order Ferrari 'Giallo Modena' ('giallo' being Italian for 'yellow' and Modena referring to the town in Italy identified by the crest from which the color is taken) there will be no confusion whatsoever.

I watched them mix it in the paint shop, and yes, there is some white, as well as 3(?) different yellow tints added to the mix.

The Stinger is painted this color.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/128333.html (Minus the GTO nose.)

Jeff
wmorse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2014 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wmorseSend a Private Message to wmorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SBMI (School Bus Manufacturers Institute) Yellow

craigtbone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigtboneSend a Private Message to craigtboneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will give this another try in case someone with photos missed this...

The yellow painted GT lace wheels are intriguing me. I sure would love to see some more photos of yellow Fieros with yellow wheels though probably not too many of them. But if anyone does have any photos please post them! How about other same color car & wheel photos?

The original Fiero wheels (have I heard them referred to as turbine pattern wheels?) never quite excited me. I am thinking that they might look good painted. Has anyone painted those? Photos please if you got them! By the way, what size are the turbine wheels?

Craig T.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock