Help me select a yellow paint by craigtbone
Started on: 07-28-2014 11:24 AM
Replies: 53 (1635 views)
Last post by: craigtbone on 11-10-2014 08:34 PM
craigtbone

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigtboneSend a Private Message to craigtboneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As the repairs proceed after being rear-ended it turns out that the rear clip, deck lid and bumper facia will be replace. The front bumper facia also will be replaced. The shop will paint all of these parts. That is close to half the surface area of the car.

The Fiero started life in the Medium Red (burgandy) color. My long term plans were to paint it yellow so this is the logical time to do that.

I have collected some photos of yellow Fieros and I like primary yellow the best so far. Please help me pick just the right yellow and post or point me to any photos of yellow Fieros.

Any thoughts on yellow color codes that you like are most helpful and welcomed.

Your help is most appreciated.

Craig T.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
vizzionn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vizzionnSend a Private Message to vizzionnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im gonna paint my 88 here soon also its already yellow but the paint is chipping off , im thinking of paiting it with the velocity yellow that the 2014 corvettes have on them dont know the paint code but shouldnt be hard to find tho
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine was Corvette Competition yellow.......WA9804.
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I opted for PPG Ferrari 'Giallo Modena' yellow, PPG #4305.

I've seen a few that were Corvette yellow, and while eye-catching, were slightly too harsh to my eye (sorry, Phil!). The Giallo Modena is a bright yellow without the harshness, but it's more yellow than the OEM stock Fiero 'banana yellow' color that looked faded even when new (IMHO).

The Giallo Modena is also proven to look good on cars that have similar body lines to ours, so it's got that going for it, too...

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com

1988 Fiero Formula - Automoda convertible
repainted PPG Ferrari 'Giallo Modena' yellow
1988 Fiero 4-cyl Coupe - Dad's car, the Indy 'clone'
(soon to be back on the road after a 6 year rest)

[This message has been edited by LZeitgeist (edited 07-28-2014).]

Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been trying to get around to painting my 85 GT a yellow color but have been too busy. My opinion here but I can't stand medium/darker yellows. ( like what you see School buses painted) I prefer a much lighter yellow. I guess you could call it "daffodil", " pastel" or maybe "chiffon" yellow. Or, as my wife & friend call it, "gay yellow". Anyhow, I have a pic of the actual color and shade but need someone to post for me. It is a newer VW Beetle color. Thanks, Kit
Asphalt Risin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Asphalt RisinSend a Private Message to Asphalt RisinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mazda "lightning" Yellow

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

I have been trying to get around to painting my 85 GT a yellow color but have been too busy. My opinion here but I can't stand medium/darker yellows. ( like what you see School buses painted) I prefer a much lighter yellow. I guess you could call it "daffodil", " pastel" or maybe "chiffon" yellow. Or, as my wife & friend call it, "gay yellow". Anyhow, I have a pic of the actual color and shade but need someone to post for me. It is a newer VW Beetle color. Thanks, Kit

Yeah, in my book, if a yellow has ANY orange in it whatsoever (like School Bus Yellow, etc.) it's right out, don't care WHAT kind of car it's going on. Yuck! (Just my humble opinion.)
craigtbone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigtboneSend a Private Message to craigtboneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great info folks. Keep it coming!

And photos are always enjoyed!!!

Craig T.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1998 Viper Yellow, it's one of the brightest yellows out there, especially on a bright sunny day. Extra clear coat gives it a very wet look:

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mercedes-Benz Designo color "Yellowstone"...

------------------

www.yellowfiero.com Pictures Modifications

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 07-28-2014).]

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Corvette millennium yellow.

Probably one of the best yellows I've seen. It's deep enough that it doesn't look faded like most yellows, but it's still bright enough that it's eye catching.
PFF
System Bot
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's mine...

------------------

FieroTony

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

GM: WA9414

Was going to re-paint my Fiero this year but funds got dispersed to other projects. Darn wives (and kids)!!
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want something different and call attention the right way then consider the 2002 Lexus Solar Yellow. You can see good pictures of an example car here: http://gtcarlot.com/colors/car/21570378-18.html Not egg/school bus tone like most GMs and not too light like the stock Fiero yellow. I used it on my 2nd Fiero which I sold. Sorry, can't post pictures.

[This message has been edited by Alex4mula (edited 07-29-2014).]

zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LZeitgeist:

Here's mine...

That's absolutely beautiful! Did Pontiac make convertible fiero's? Or is that just a custom job that people do?
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

That's absolutely beautiful! Did Pontiac make convertible fiero's? Or is that just a custom job that people do?

Thank you!

It's a specific type of convertible conversion kit made by a company called Automoda - roughly three dozen or so were made back in the early 90's, and I was able to purchase a previously-uninstalled kit and have V8Archie, Rob and Kris install it on my Formula about 10 years ago.
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LZeitgeist

5662 posts
Member since Dec 2000
Here's another pic...

..and one with the top up.

[This message has been edited by LZeitgeist (edited 07-29-2014).]

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like Corvette "Millennium Yellow".

------------------

The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gene Smith painted his a light Yellow. Said it was then the New Bug Yellow. Looks good. I am work now so I cant post a pic.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DONT EVER pick a color from a photo or a car online. Look for a real car the color you like and get the code for it. If you notice Cal Kids car looks like 3 completely different yellows in his group pics. My personal favorite yellow is a subtle one used on 55-56 Chevy called Harvest Gold...(yes it is really a yellow, I call it a Canary Yellow).

Again this is a photo, but you get the idea. This is the Harvest Gold on my Dodge.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most of us don't follow Professional guidelines when taking pictures of Yellow Cars, which are know to be very difficult. In really bright sun light mine is almost impossible to get a good shot of. Roger is correct that it's much better to see the car in person before making a decision. Below is an explanation from a Professional Photographer on why Yellow Cars are hard to photograph:

Photographing a yellow-painted car, especially bright yellow,
requires you to change your strategy a bit. By the numbers:

YELLOW CAR ADVISORY #1: You cannot (repeat: CANNOT) shoot your yellow car out in midday sunlight. All you're likely to get is bleached-out top surfaces and murky/ orangish lower areas... gen'rlly makin' a mess of your gorgeous yellow paint job. If you insist upon shooting your yellow car out in the sun, you MUST time your photo session for either dawn or dusk... with the (low, unobstructed) sun at your back, and with your car properly rotated so that the sun's rays are illuminating all of your car facing your camera (in a 3/4 view pose, that means the sun MUST BE illuminating both the side AND the front of your car).

YELLOW CAR ADVISORY #2: Here's a piece of concrete advice: park your car on white concrete, so that you'll benefit from the upward-reflected sunlight and skylight; this strategy often works splendidly with yellow cars.

YELLOW CAR ADVISORY #3: Shoot your yellow car in the shade: although you can photograph your yellow car in direct dawn or dusk sunlight (i.e., near-horizontal sunrays) and get good results, your best game plan may be to take all of your photos (listen carefully!): at mid-morning or mid-afternoon, entirely within the "clean" shade of a building or other solid obstruction (not, repeat NOT in the uneven/splotchy shade of a tree, and NOT in your garage), on clean pavement, and use your flash on every single shot of 1) your entire car, 2) your engine, and 3) your cockpit.

But don't take my word for it: here's a hotlink to side-by-side comparative shots of Shaun Goodwin's yellow roadster... one shot in the bright midday sun and no flash, the other in 'clean' shade, with flash. Look at 'em and judge for yourself which is the loser, which is the winner. And incidentally, Shaun's ad for his Shell Valley Cobra didn't elicit much interest with that first photo; when he replaced his photo on CobraCountry with that gorgeous image on the right, he sold his Cobra. That's what good photography will do for you.

Now once more: for your YELLOW car: schedule your shoot for mid-morning or mid-afternoon, move your car entirely into clean shade of a building... or a mountain... Ayers Rock, Rockefeller Center or The Great Pyramid of Giza... and on clean pavement, preferably white concrete. And use your flash on every single shot.

Am I clear on each of those points?

If you follow those three simple guidelines, you're almost certain
to capture superb, richly-colored images of your yellow car!

Note that my advisory on yellow cars really applies to any pastel
or light-colored car. It just happens that yellow is often the most
problematic if you don't have these tips to guide you.
PFF
System Bot
craigtbone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigtboneSend a Private Message to craigtboneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All of these photos show the type of yellow that I am looking for (except the pastel ones), primary yellow, no orange and no hints of green. I certainly agree though that it is not possible to accurately show a color on a computer monitor.

Thank you all for the photos. But don't stop now!! More photos always a treat.

Craig T.
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Agreed completely with Roger - one reason I was able to be so positive that I wanted Giallo Modena was because I'd seen yellow Ferraris in person a number of times, and the lines and angles of the cars were similar. I just knew it was the right one for me, but I wouldn't have based a multi-thousand-dollar decision solely on pics. Heck, my car looks a different color in each one of the pics I posted too, and there's also an infinite number of possibilities for the color settings on your monitor.

I'm with Craig - post more pics, people!

------------------

R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

I like Corvette "Millennium Yellow".

Agreed.... That is the color of my IMSA

------------------
Paul

My IMSA Build: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789315
HHP Adjustable Sway Bars: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/036556.html

Pegasus88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pegasus88GTSend a Private Message to Pegasus88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Honda S2000 "Spa Yellow" also known as "Indy Yellow Pearl" on mine. Very bright!
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pegasus88GT:

Honda S2000 "Spa Yellow" also known as "Indy Yellow Pearl" on mine. Very bright!

Whoa - sharp!

------------------

Pegasus88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pegasus88GTSend a Private Message to Pegasus88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LZeitgeist:

Whoa - sharp!

Thanks!!! It was only a year ago that I was trying to answer the same question: //www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin...1352&style=printable
craigtbone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigtboneSend a Private Message to craigtboneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I visited the body shop yesterday and told the owner that, based on some recommendations from the PFF, I was considering Corvette Millennium Yellow. His face lit up and he said that is his favorite color. He has a corvette in that color and he said it would be an honor to paint my Fiero that color!

He also said he would paint a sample for me to see the actual color.

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigtbone:

I visited the body shop yesterday and told the owner that, based on some recommendations from the PFF, I was considering Corvette Millennium Yellow. His face lit up and he said that is his favorite color. He has a corvette in that color and he said it would be an honor to paint my Fiero that color!

He also said he would paint a sample for me to see the actual color.

Hell, tell him to just give you the keys to his Corvette, you want to see how it looks in traffic !
craigtbone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigtboneSend a Private Message to craigtboneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hah! That is just what I did. Not sure why he said no. Hmmm....
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Craig.... seeing as you live in media i have a really good hookup for paint that you might want to consider using. shoot me a PM and ill tell you about it, its going to sound to good to be true but it is and it will save you a lot of money and get you a great paint job.
PFF
System Bot
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigtbone:

All of these photos show the type of yellow that I am looking for (except the pastel ones), primary yellow, no orange and no hints of green. I certainly agree though that it is not possible to accurately show a color on a computer monitor.

Thank you all for the photos. But don't stop now!! More photos always a treat.

Craig T.

Still waiting for someone to host my pic, for crying out loud.
Kit
my-fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 06:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for my-fieroSend a Private Message to my-fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hyundai vivid yellow paint (color code: ia)

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Factory yellow.

It makes the car.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A friend painted his GT the Yellow that was introduced on the New Bug when it came out a few years ago. Here it is at The Fiero Factory being dropped off to get a new heart.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 08-11-2014).]

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some of the pictures above are pretty good, thought some of them the colors are so far off, that in one the ground looked purple! This will not help you in choosing a color. Honestly, even the best photo someone could take and post really is not that great to go on.

The best think you can do, is hit a couple car dealerships, and even parking lots at the mall. Drive around and find that exact yellow that you are looking for. All you need to do si snap a picture of the VIN# and any paint shop can match the color with just that information. No color code needed. (as long as it is the original paint of course )

A photo, and even worse, small paint chips they show you at the paint shop are not a good representation of what the actual car will look like when painted.

Here is a really good example of what I mean. have a look at all of these cars, all painted the same color, and yet most are night and day differences. Some look orange, some bright yellow, and others pastel.

Good luck! And DO NOT TAKE THE CAR TO MAACO! ! ! !
cyrus88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I usually don't like yellow color, but today I saw a sweet Jeep Wrangler Sahara with yellow paint. Wow, it was beautiful.
craigtbone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigtboneSend a Private Message to craigtboneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The repairs and painting are finally completed. I posted this photo elsewhere in the forum but I wanted to close the loop on this thread.

The painter called it "Corvette Yellow #56", but he orders it specially mixed with no black added.

[This message has been edited by craigtbone (edited 10-12-2014).]

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice! It is about the most true yellow, judging from the picture, that I can say that I have seen.
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice!

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock