Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Chris Cook's Quarter Window problems / Review [Lots of Pictures & Video] (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Chris Cook's Quarter Window problems / Review [Lots of Pictures & Video] by JohnWPB
Started on: 04-14-2014 04:28 PM
Replies: 93 (5149 views)
Last post by: vette7584 on 05-03-2016 08:40 AM
Flyboygt86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2015 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Flyboygt86Send a Private Message to Flyboygt86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a set of Chris's gt windows on my car and every body that looks at it thinks they are original
IP: Logged
lou

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2015 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for louSend a Private Message to louEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

Voice your opinions but try not to drive the few vendors we have away is my opinion.

We all wish everyone was as consistent as Rodney, but not everyone provides excellent products and service like he does and his wisdom is as sound as his products.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2015 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

Keep ripping on vendors and they go away.

Rodney, I've bought your products. I like them, and I will continue to purchase products from you in the future. You are a valued vendor here, and much appreciated.

However, I've got to somewhat disagree with your quoted comment. Vendors who supply the Fiero community shouldn't expect a free pass when shoddily made parts are supplied and/or when unacceptable customer service is offered up.

Yes, private communication is the best route to take when an issue develops, but what if that doesn't resolve anything?

I see nothing wrong with this thread. Vendors need to acknowledge when they screw up, or face the consequences.

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Well now I have irrefutable evidence that they were 100% NOT THE RIGHT SIZE.

The (replacement) windows got here a few days ago, and I got a chance to have a look at them, and directly compare them to the windows that I thought were too small.

Guess what, they WERE too small. .. they are not even close!

I installed both of the replacement windows on the car this evening, and they fit perfectly this time. There are NO gaps anywhere around the window.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-14-2015).]

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2015 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In all fairness, I have to say that the windows from Chris are of excellent quality. They are as close to stock as you are going to be able to by other then some shelved OEM windows.

The problem was never with the quality, as I have seen them on many cars. The problem was the fact that a mistake was made with the pair that I had, and I just wanted it rectified. When Maaco purchased replacement windows from Chris, it was quite clear that there was indeed a problem with the original ones that I had ordered.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2015 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For anyone that is subscribed to this thread.... there are new Quarter windows in the works!
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2015 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chris Cook has made an effort to produce quarter windows that look acceptable and they succeed in that regard. They are repros, not exactly like the OEM windows and the inherent dimensional stability of his process can vary. The contour is also different . Add in possible installation error and you have a window that looks pretty good but not perfect.
The trick is to use a quart of water with a few drops of Joy and a few drops of alcohol in it. Put the tape on the window , spray a light coat of the positioning solution on a perfectly clean frame and watch all sides to perfectly center it, while you press the window in place. If you want the original appearance this is the closest that you will get. I believe that Chris makes his windows out of Lexan and heat forms them.
In short Chris is not General Motors and is making his windows using a different process that allows production in small lots. With careful application, you can achieve a good result and have a window replacement where there would otherwise be nothing that looks close to original.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2015 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
The trick is to use a quart of water with a few drops of Joy and a few drops of alcohol in it. Put the tape on the window , spray a light coat of the positioning solution on a perfectly clean frame and watch all sides to perfectly center it, while you press the window in place.

Great advice, however, that "trick" will not make the windows a 1/2 inch larger, or fix the missing "rolled edge"

It kinda helps to read the whole thread first when posting about something, espeicallyTHIS POST, and have a look at the photo that pretty much explains everything.

Chris Cook has made an effort to produce quarter windows that look acceptable and they succeed in that regard.

Have a look 3 posts ago, where clearly praise the quality of Chris's windows:

Originally posted by JohnWPB:....... the windows from Chris are of excellent quality..........

the inherent dimensional stability of his process can vary.

If by "dimensional stability" you mean the wrong size, then yes, these were the wrong size. I PM'd Chris, he said they were the right size, I emailed him photo's, measurements, a video, he still insisted they were the correct size. In my next email, I told him that I compared the size of them to 20 other Fiero's at Daytona. Some OEM, some of Chris's windows, and all of them were around 1/2 inch larger. I also clearly told him I did not want a free replacement, that I just wanted, my exact words were "a steep discount" on a replacement pair. I think I was about as fair as a customer could possibly be. The fact is that I was shipped something that was the wrong size, and I still offer to PAY (with a discount) for replacements! He never responded to that email, the next couple, or the next couple of PM's before I finally created this thread over a month later.

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2015 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just installed a set of Chris Cooks windows last week and as I said they are not OEM perfect but they look good. Like all companies defects can happen. I am just surprised that the error was not acknowledged and corrected. The problem is not the basic design of the window (as most fit decent) but poor customer service from a guy who does not accept responsibility for defects. Sounds like another finger pointing Spec Clutch outfit to me. BTW, in the past, I've experienced the same problem with his windows so the fault is not yours. The set last week fit better.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2015 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We installed a set on 'Tyler's Toy' during the build, and they fit perfectly! I got the name of who made them, and ordered a set from him when I was ready. They just did not fit. The set that Maaco bought to replace them fit perfectly.

So Yes, defects and machine problems do come up, and that is expected. When it does happen, a good person or company will stand behind their product and work to remedy to correct it. Chris in no way would do anything, and actually completely denied that there was any problem to begin with, and then just terminated communication.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2015 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

We installed a set on 'Tyler's Toy' during the build, and they fit perfectly! I got the name of who made them, and ordered a set from him when I was ready. They just did not fit. The set that Maaco bought to replace them fit perfectly.

So Yes, defects and machine problems do come up, and that is expected. When it does happen, a good person or company will stand behind their product and work to remedy to correct it. Chris in no way would do anything, and actually completely denied that there was any problem to begin with, and then just terminated communication.

If this is the case then the man is a weasel. Only a weasel would not offer to replace or at least take the windows back and measure them up. We need to deal with another supplier that stands behind the product.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2015 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If this is the case then the man is a weasel. Only a weasel would not offer to replace or at least take the windows back and measure them up. We need to deal with another supplier that stands behind the product.

I actually never asked him to outright replace them. I know things happen, what it is like as a small vendor ect, and that it was probably a mistake. Knowing that, I asked to PURCHASE a new set from him, and just asked for a steep discount. I still have the original PM's we exchanged in my in/out boxes here on the site.

The way it is looking, Slammed will offer a better product here soon, that should, from conversations and posts, match the original OEM shape and curves. We will have to wait and see, but I am keeping my fingers crossed in the mean time!

PFF
System Bot
LT4SS

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2016 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT4SSSend a Private Message to LT4SSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have delam problems with the Chris Cook GT sails (non-tint)? I purchased a GT that had a set of them installed less than 1 year prior to my purchase, and both driver and passenger side have delam already. Tried to reach out to Chris and he said it was an installation error. I'm kinda stuck because I didn't make the purchase (or install) myself....but the delam bothers me. Rest of the windows look good....
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2016 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LT4SS:
Tried to reach out to Chris and he said it was an installation error.

Interesting.....it seems that that is his answer to everything. The coating on your windows delaminated because of installation error, and my windows were physically a half inch too short due to installation error hahaah.

vette7584

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2016 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vette7584Send a Private Message to vette7584Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ill post tll mine, hope it turns out better. good luck guys!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock