Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  need advice FAST- do I buy 87 gt auto or 85 gt stick? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
need advice FAST- do I buy 87 gt auto or 85 gt stick? by FieroFanatic13
Started on: 04-13-2014 01:07 PM
Replies: 86 (1328 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 04-25-2014 10:30 PM
oldbikeracer

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would go for the 87GT automatic. Sure the automatic is a slug but it will merge with traffic and cruise the speed limit and above with no problem, The low mileage is worth a lot. You also will not have the usual clutch slave cylinder and or transmission problems with the automatic. The stick shifts are also slugs, remember they have less than 150 hp. The automatic is a great cruiser and you will simply look better in it. I know because I have an 87GT automatic and I look good in it. Your choice but also consider the repaint of the stick shift. Let us know which way you go and your driving impressions of the car you chose. Good luck on it.
IP: Logged
mkiker2089

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mkiker2089Send a Private Message to mkiker2089Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please don't change the red one. Part of the appeal to it is the ORIGINAL condition. Stick shifts are easy to find so just keep looking.

Of course I'd also say buy an auto and drive. People act like their testicles will fall off or something. Autos are great cruisers.
mkiker2089

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mkiker2089Send a Private Message to mkiker2089Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mkiker2089

124 posts
Member since Nov 2012

Originally posted by oldbikeracer:

I would go for the 87GT automatic. Sure the automatic is a slug but it will merge with traffic and cruise the speed limit and above with no problem, The low mileage is worth a lot. You also will not have the usual clutch slave cylinder and or transmission problems with the automatic. The stick shifts are also slugs, remember they have less than 150 hp. The automatic is a great cruiser and you will simply look better in it. I know because I have an 87GT automatic and I look good in it. Your choice but also consider the repaint of the stick shift. Let us know which way you go and your driving impressions of the car you chose. Good luck on it.

Repainting does add money but it opens the door to making it his own as well and guarantees it'll look good.
FieroFanatic13

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As of this moment I am picking up the 87 GT auto this weekend. I can't pass on it because of the amazing low 21,000 miles and how crazy gorgeous it is overall in spite of the front end being repainted at some point. The interior looks virtually new! And it ran out great as well. Plus, NEW brakes last summer too. Just a nice car.

Now...I'm already planning mayhem, lol. The fact that is ISNT all original paint may play into my preferred 88 GT look: I am considering having the silver painted to match the upper medium red it and them since it needs new tires for sure I may get out the black powder coated Beretta GTZ wheels I have in the garage. Thinking I'll like that look...
FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroFanatic13

3521 posts
Member since Jul 2006

Originally posted by mkiker2089:

Please don't change the red one. Part of the appeal to it is the ORIGINAL condition. Stick shifts are easy to find so just keep looking.

See my post above. The 87 is not all original paint, so I don't feel bad about
making it my own. I'll have to have the passenger rear quarter panel touched up due to some small marks from something in the first owners garage bumping it anyway so the shop will have the red paint already mixed up. I prefer the monochrome paint scheme on the '88's plus I have a set of near perfect 16 inch Beretta GTZ wheels in a black powder coat that I want to use on her and they wouldn't go well with the gray ground effects.
mkiker2089

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkiker2089Send a Private Message to mkiker2089Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroFanatic13:

See my post above. The 87 is not all original paint, so I don't feel bad about
making it my own. I'll have to have the passenger rear quarter panel touched up due to some small marks from something in the first owners garage bumping it anyway so the shop will have the red paint already mixed up. I prefer the monochrome paint scheme on the '88's plus I have a set of near perfect 16 inch Beretta GTZ wheels in a black powder coat that I want to use on her and they wouldn't go well with the gray ground effects.

Why spend extra on it due to condition and paint and change it anyway? It's not logical.
FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Why spend extra on it due to condition and paint and change it anyway? It's not logical.

I'd be keeping all of the original medium red paint and only changing the ground effects to match. Perfectly logical to me, as it's how I want it and Im not worried about keeping it "original" I guess.
FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroFanatic13

3521 posts
Member since Jul 2006

Originally posted by no2pencil:

If that's a problem then perhaps 30 year old cars should not be for you. They will break, & you need to either do the work, or be able to afford to get it done.

Just my opinion, nothing more.

I mean, when you know what can't happen, that sort of eliminates the competition out of the gate, no?

I'm not even sure where you were coming from here. I mention how much a SWAP will cost and you start talking about how it's old and the car might break and that costs money so maybe its not the vehicle for me? Lost me there I guess....

[This message has been edited by FieroFanatic13 (edited 04-14-2014).]

no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not even sure where you were coming from here. I mention how much a SWAP will cost and you start talking about how it's old and the car might break and that costs money so maybe its not the vehicle for me? Lost me there I guess....

Sorry... I should have a timer before I jump online after I've woken up.

What I was meaning is that swaps are not terribly difficult, & as far as $800, that's an relatively small price compared to things that break.

FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

Sorry... I should have a timer before I jump online after I've woken up.

What I was meaning is that swaps are not terribly difficult, & as far as $800, that's an relatively small price compared to things that break.

OK, gotcha. Yeah that part makes sense. Its just that PLANNING to do a swap when buying makes the purchase price that much higher in essence. That's where I was coming from!
canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As you get older you will appreciate an automatic. Price-wise automatics cost more than standard transmissions when Fiero's were new. Also, standard transmissions can be more problematic due to the clutch having more linkages. I've also read that clutch pedal assemblies had problems with the steel bending. My vote would be for an automatic plus the low mileage would be a clincher for me. Let us know how you make out and Good Luck with your new acquisition!
PFF
System Bot
FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will definitely report back once I've acquired a Fiero! Appreciate all of the response here just what I was looking for! -Gary
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Because that maroon looks better without the silver. I have an 87 that maroon color and I have seen nice 88's and yes martha it looks different. I like it.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002
I dont recall a real nice GT in the area. Must be up by you. Gee nice carpet, trunk gasket, trunk carpet, I bet the doors shut nice. I bet the console fits nice and the dash isnt cracked. Probably has nice dew wipes. I have never seen a "new" Fiero before. I like the idea of the low mileage.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Okay I can buy an all original 21k mile 87 GT with auto for $4300 or a nicely repainted 77k mile 85 gt 4 speed for $3500. I WANTED a manual but the 87 auto is a 2 owner (1st was lady til 2011, 2nd is middle aged gentleman) medium red with tan interior beauty...

Any thoughts???

EDIT FOR PICS:

$4300 87 GT with Auto Trans and 21k miles:

$3500 85 GT with 4 speed and 77k miles:

Wow looks like mine, but has better paint and interior. Nice car.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002
FYI, If you purchase the 87 I have a Dealers Manual/order book for 1987 if you need any information.
FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

I dont recall a real nice GT in the area. Must be up by you. Gee nice carpet, trunk gasket, trunk carpet, I bet the doors shut nice. I bet the console fits nice and the dash isnt cracked. Probably has nice dew wipes. I have never seen a "new" Fiero before. I like the idea of the low mileage.

I'm certainly not tellin' where it is until I have the keys, lol! But I AM picking it up this weekend and I can bring it down to let you take a look at it this summer!

[This message has been edited by FieroFanatic13 (edited 04-15-2014).]

FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroFanatic13

3521 posts
Member since Jul 2006

Because that maroon looks better without the silver. I have an 87 that maroon color and I have seen nice 88's and yes martha it looks different. I like it.

Indeed!
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think that color would look great in the mono paint scheme. Paint the body side moulding, mirrors, ground effects all marron.
FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think that color would look great in the mono paint scheme. Paint the body side moulding, mirrors, ground effects all marron.

I'm not to sure about the moldings but I'm on board with doing the ground effects and mirrors!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by canfirst:

As you get older you will appreciate an automatic...

That about sums it up... Automatics are for old people!

I'm 58 and love my 5-spd Formula.
PFF
System Bot
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
go with the manual you'll regret it,
also you might be into the fastbacks, what I wanted aswell but i settled for a notch and love it.
your paying for a low milage car, which decreases in value very fast anyways if you want to drive and enjoy it, the 77K is not very high aswell.
GT sounds better to me.

[This message has been edited by FieroCanada (edited 04-17-2014).]

fierobug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobugSend a Private Message to fierobugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations! You've done well young grasshopper! I found an 87GT auto low mileage fiero 2 miles down the road and still think its Christmas every time I drive it and work on it. Of course, I would like an 88 5spd 3800sc too. That most likely won't happen anytime soon. You are going to have a great time with that car. Your a lucky man Charlie Brown!

------------------
FIEROBUG!!!!!!!!!!

FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobug:

Congratulations! You've done well young grasshopper! I found an 87GT auto low mileage fiero 2 miles down the road and still think its Christmas every time I drive it and work on it. Of course, I would like an 88 5spd 3800sc too. That most likely won't happen anytime soon. You are going to have a great time with that car. Your a lucky man Charlie Brown!

I just LOVE the idea of the interior having that "new car" feel- and this car DOES have that feel- and couldn't pass up this 21k original mile, lady owned car...Looking forward to bringing it home tomorrow! I'll post up pics of it as soon as I can!

[This message has been edited by FieroFanatic13 (edited 04-17-2014).]

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sooooo have you got your new car?
FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sooooo have you got your new car?

Since today is the same day I posted that I was getting it tomorrow that'd be a "no," lol!
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is FieroFanatic13 a clue to the current inventory count or the number of Fieros owned or ?

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 04-17-2014).]

FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

Is FieroFanatic13 a clue to the current inventory count or the number of Fieros owned or ?

LOL. Over the past 14 years, yes. Currently? Zero. But that will be rectified on Saturday morning! 13 is simply my favorite number.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Since today is the same day I posted that I was getting it tomorrow that'd be a "no," lol!

LOL. Over the past 14 years, yes. Currently? Zero. But that will be rectified on Saturday morning! 13 is simply my favorite number.

I'm confused - yesterday, tomorrow was today; now today isn't until tomorrow?

I was intrigued by the thread title - now even more so considering the number of Fieros you've had.
I'm reluctant to solicit others' opinions - I might feel guilty if I don't follow their advice...
FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm confused - yesterday, tomorrow was today; now today isn't until tomorrow?

Um, I posted on the 17th that I was picking up the car tomorrow and he asked if I had it yet later on the 17th. So....

I was intrigued by the thread title - now even more so considering the number of Fieros you've had.
I'm reluctant to solicit others' opinions - I might feel guilty if I don't follow their advice...

And I'm not sure what you mean on this comment? I was asking for opinions on the two Fieros based upon the pics and info I had. Not sure where you were coming from with this?

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So when do we get to see more of it?
PFF
System Bot
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Um, I posted on the 17th that I was picking up the car tomorrow and he asked if I had it yet later on the 17th. So....

Ok, lol - just teasing. Since you posted on the 17th that you were picking it up on the 18th, I was looking for pictures. The pick-up date apparently is tomorrow the 19th so we'll be checking for news then! Hope all goes well!

And I'm not sure what you mean on this comment? I was asking for opinions on the two Fieros based upon the pics and info I had. Not sure where you were coming from with this?

I don't really mean anything exactly - more just musing on my tendency to decide on things without asking others' opinions. Maybe I should rethink that ... Anyway, I was thinking that someone new to Fieros might be inclined to poll the community for preferences more than a 'seasoned' Fiero addict, but there's absolutely no reason not to ask what others think.

FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't really mean anything exactly - more just musing on my tendency to decide on things without asking others' opinions. Maybe I should rethink that ... Anyway, I was thinking that someone new to Fieros might be inclined to poll the community for preferences more than a 'seasoned' Fiero addict, but there's absolutely no reason not to ask what others think.

Nice.
oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you get the car?? How do you like it ?? Let us know.
FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by oldbikeracer:

Did you get the car?? How do you like it ?? Let us know.

I did pick it up yesterday but haven't posted due to the holiday weekend. Very happy with it! Not perfect but that gives me more room to make it how I want it without feeling bad about not keeping it all original. The interior alone is fun to stare at, lol!

[This message has been edited by FieroFanatic13 (edited 04-20-2014).]

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

That about sums it up... Automatics are for old people!

I'm 58 and love my 5-spd Formula.

Wrong again dog breath! LOL I had an 88 5 speed up til last year and I am 63!
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002

I'm not to sure about the moldings but I'm on board with doing the ground effects and mirrors!

I was in the process of doing that to my 88 and it looked great. Unfortunately I haven't found any spray cans that are the same color as the 87 Maroon. Or those ugly mirrors would be painted by now and I would be working on the moldings and the ground effects.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 04-20-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wrong again dog breath! LOL I had an 88 5 speed up til last year and I am 63!

So is 62 the cut-off age for driving a manual tranny then, you old fart. I guess I've got four more years to go.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So is 62 the cut-off age for driving a manual tranny then, you old fart. I guess I've got four more years to go.

At what age does "old fartism" set in? I'm 62 and am still in my teens.......
Just saying'

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey you young PUNK I still prefer manual over auto. But my car came with it. LOL Any way pay attention, the car he got was like new and it just happen to have an auto.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock