True value of my '86 GT by Brent7088
Started on: 03-27-2014 01:12 PM
Replies: 3 (162 views)
Last post by: jaskispyder on 03-27-2014 02:09 PM
Brent7088

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brent7088Send a Private Message to Brent7088Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am looking to either pawn or sell my 86 GT 2.8 auto.

The car has approx. 50K miles and the following:

- engine and transmission in great shape
- newer tires (less than 100 miles on all 4)
- newer "DIY_Stu" dew wipes installed 3 years ago
- plugs and wires changed 3-4 years ago
- battery less than 2 years old
- oil pan replaced 2-3 years ago
- (2) E-brake cables replaced 3-4 years ago
- Interior is in great shape - no holes or rips in seats
- sunroof (non-leaking)
- all power options working (windows, etc.)

On the minus side:

- needs repainted (fading)
- engine has that infamous "idle hunting" issue (easy fix from what I understand)
- AC needs recharged
- subwoofer missing
- headliner needs replaced
- trunk seal may need replaced (does not leak however)

I was just looking for opinions as to what I could realistically get out of this if I pawned it or sold it outright. I really don't want to sell it though; I'd rather pawn it, but a pawn shop unfortunately will not be so generous. I emailed one pawn shop around my area and they said they would not be interested due to "having problems in the past with this model" (whatever that means). A title loan is really not an option at this time due to my current unemployment status (they require proof of income).

Any opinions are welcome as to what I could get out of this, either selling it or pawning it. Thank you in advance.

[This message has been edited by Brent7088 (edited 03-27-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$2K? Maybe...

The paint is an issue. Does it have any rust issues in the trunk or rear frame? Why was the oil pan replaced?

The reason I say $2K, is because it will cost about $2K or more for a good paint job..... so then you have $4K into a 86 Fiero with an auto tranny.

But, I am not in the market for a Fiero.... sorry.

Brent7088

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brent7088Send a Private Message to Brent7088Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for your reply. Yea, I was actually thinking around $2K myself.

There really are no issues of rust that I am aware of. The carpet in the trunk area is in great shape, and I assume there is no rust underneath that since the trunk seal never leaked. The oil pan was replaced due to an oil leak. I didn't know if it was the gasket or the pan itself, so to be on the safe side I replaced it with a Dorman pan.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It isn't water from the top that is the problem in the trunk. It is the salt spray from the tires that eats the trunk, from the bottom. Pull back the carpet and check out the corners of the trunk. If they are rusted, the top frame rails could also be rusted (out).

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock