Should I buy? by tthrock
Started on: 03-15-2014 04:32 PM
Replies: 25 (898 views)
Last post by: tthrock on 03-21-2014 12:04 PM
tthrock

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tthrockSend a Private Message to tthrockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am still trying to find a Fiero. Is this a good price assuming everything is in order.
1988 Black Fiero $3,500 (vin says its a Formula - but title doesnt, should it? - and doesnt say Formula on doors). vin stickers in engine area and front hood area and dash, and title all match.
Has all disc brakes, and spoiler and looks likes a Formula.
2.8, auto, 56k miles
Carfax show vehicle tiltle note of "vehicle noted as color Black" in 2012. I assume that means the color was changed, dont know. under carpet in trunk is black and cant see any indications of another color just by looking (didnt take apart). Dash is tan/brown looking, which seems odd for a black car. Dash looks good, not warped or cracked.
Paint, interior, look good. Trunk not rusted. tear in drivers seat, headliner a little saggy in one corner, breaks a little mushy, one headligt doesnt go up all the way. Sunroof seal looks ok for 26 yr old rubber, doesnt look like it leaks but that is where the headliner is sagging. Engine sound good at idle but hesitates when taking off. Owner has had it for about a year and a half, two years and never tagged it. He got it from Kentucky (traded a bass boat for it). It passed Ohio check we he titled in Ohio 2 yrs ago. He had it in his garage and said no fluids on the floor when moved. Have not seen under it yet. No modifications at all, not even a radio. Paint look to good to be 26 yrs old.
So is this the right car at the right price? It definitely looks good...
Most likely picking up tomorrow. Driving there and test driving, is over 3 hrs away...
Thanks for your input.
Tim

------------------
Tim
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Black 1988 Fiero Formula

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Title will not say 'Formula'.
zefferk

Feedback score:    (69)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zefferkSend a Private Message to zefferkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would. You can check the RPO codes under the front hood one the drivers side front wheel well. Print off the codes from www.fierosails.com and take with you. You can then check how the car originally came. It is definitely a formula as it is the only notchie in 88 with the V6. Black with Tan interior was a standard combo in 88. As long as there is no rust and the engine checks out, $3500 is a good deal for a formula with those low miles.

------------------
My Fiero...

88 Yellow CJB #182 of 1252 formula

tthrock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tthrockSend a Private Message to tthrockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info and replies. I am getting up at 6 AM in the morn to go "buy" the Fiero (long drive). Finally... I have wanted one since I was a kid (am 44 now). And have been reading about them allot in the last three+ years. I have went and checked out many of them in the last three years, but was dissapointed every time (rust, lied to by seller, transmission fluid leaking in to the coolant and etc...). I am hoping this is the one... Keep your fingers crossed for me. If I buy I will be on here much more. I am hoping my wife likes it so I can buy another and call it "hers" lol... And hope my 13 yr old likes it so I can buy another for "him" lol.... I can see how you guys get hooked. I cant stop thinking about them.
Thanks again to those who replied... I will update this post tomorrow letting you all know how it went. If all goes well this post will be updated with pictures. woot....
Cant sleep, anxious... I feel like a kid again. Wow - I feel. Finally something different from all the others days of my life... LOL...
tthrock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tthrockSend a Private Message to tthrockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am done. Specifically ask the seller if there was any rust in the trunk... He said no, no rust anywhere... Had him pull the carpet up and looked and said its solid... i drive three hours, the carpet is still up and a rust hole and a few spots on one side and spots on the other. plain as day. i said "rust" right where i asked you to look and you said there isnt any and there it is. he said yep but it is solid around the hole and on the other spots... geesh... bottom of the car was all rust though no parts looked completely rusted away that i could see. oil crud on the bottom of the engine, he said it doesnt leak. seen antifreze on the overflow and asked if he put antifreeze in it, he said yes it was a little low. the car had run for about 10 minutes while i was there and the antifreeze was barely viewable in the verry bottom tube in the overflow. the car had been repainted, not professionaly and they didnt take the panels or bumpers off to paint. looks ok though. I know these are old but this guy made it sound like it was almost perfect and it is far far from it. i know $3,500 wont buy a perfect Fiero but he could have been honest about it. wasted $40 on a carfax and around 80 in gas and spent around 7 hours on the road with the wife and three kids - torture... this is the 9th car i have checked out with every seller on CL flat out lying about the cars. of course it may not be as bad as i think. one of you mechanically inclined guys may be able to fix it easy enough. i have the car fax if anyone is interested. here is the car. i could not get him to go lower than $3,500 he said he will light it on fire and watch it burn before he takes less. he started out about 1.5 years ago at $5,000. http://chillicothe.craigsli.../bar/4343298413.html
Hate to say it but i may just stop at this point... the bug keeps biting me, then i go look at some cars and get so dissapointed. i really like the Formula's... to much rust in Ohio... or maybe i expect to much for only $3,500.

[This message has been edited by tthrock (edited 03-16-2014).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Long range buying can be hard, but you should be able to get all the photographs you want before starting your trip.....a picture of the trunk rust is much better than asking the seller about trunk rust. He is a little high for a car like that, but not much....Formulas are getting scarce and that is low mileage. If you are looking for rust-free, it's going to be south of the Ohio river valley....
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wait for the right one! I bought one after a long road trip. I got there and wasn't happy but I had time and money invested already. I figured I could fix it up anyway. Now it is just a parts car and a model for the iGTO bumper.
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An older (50-60ish) guy came to our meeting the week before last wanting to get our opinion on what his 88 GT 5 spd was worth. He's looking to sell it. I was going to take pictures of it last week for posting online but work was just too crazy.

The car had original black paint, Fiero bags and even the original radio in the trunk. He said it worked but he wanted a CD player. He wouldn't sell me the radio because he wanted the new owner to be able to put it back to original if they wanted to. He bought the car new right here in Orlando.

We told him the car might bring 4-5K if he waited a LONG time but if he wanted to sell it quick, 3-3.5K would be closer to reality.

The black paint showed a lot of swirls and scratches but still looked really good. It had no rust and was garage kept. The interior had very little curling of the edges of vinyl parts.

If you're up for a drive, it was a pretty nice car. I'll try to get pictures again tomorrow.

3/17 Edit *** I spoke to the owner today and will stop by his house tomorrow for some pictures.

[This message has been edited by 2002z28ssconv (edited 03-17-2014).]

dematrix86gt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
look for a texas , new mexico, or Arizona car. the interiors will be baked but the frames cant be beat. usually those states have rust free cars, mines a texas car
V8 Vega

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-16-2014 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8 VegaSend a Private Message to V8 VegaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't even look at a auto trans. Get a stick shift, their so much more fun. and better mileage and performance.
tthrock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tthrockSend a Private Message to tthrockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies all. I really apprecite it. I think I will do what I did last time I got really dissapointed - stop looking for awhile. My father said I am not the right owner for an old car because they will need constant work / repair... I guess he is right, I work a lot and have a wife and three kids at home. I seen a Fiero that had an SC II in it that had been completely rebuilt and painted but they wanted 7k for it, guaranteed the frame wasnt rusted out, all bushings and ball joints replaced, 2k over my max budget, I looked but didnt drive, wasnt fair to the owner to waste his time when I knew I wasnt going to buy. Awsome car though... I should have bit the bullet and bought it. It is hard to justify that much for a toy though, with the kids and all... I am so torn up about this. I have always wanted a V6, notchback and thought I was going to get te best one, Formula. I feel so rushed because I know they are dissapearing. I see so many being parted out on CL, and read about so many people that have three or more (you crazy hoarders lol). Less and less on the market. I dont know how to work on cars much (basic maintenance, minor mechanical repairs) but I cant get Fiero's off my mind. I was 15-16 when I seen my first Fero in 84-85, and always wanted one... Childhood memories, crazy huh... Sorry to rant so much, 44 years old and I thought a 3,500 car was going to make me happy, and it didnt work out. I need to grow up lol, but those cars make me feel like a kid again...
Thanks again for the replies guys... and to to guy talking about the GT above, I cant drive that far and am not wanting a GT, I like the notchies, they look different than everything out there, what I feel in love with the first time I seen one. Thanks anyway, pictures still good because someone on here would love to have an 88 GT. Perhaps they can sell me their V6 notchie and buy the GT...
PFF
System Bot
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fierobug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobugSend a Private Message to fierobugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TTHROCK ------ Don't know if your still considering but here is a fiero in syracuse, ny. This is craigslist rochester ny site. 3500 dollars. Automatic. Has picture.

1985 Fiero GT V6 - 77,000 Miles. Interior and exterior are in Excellent condition. This is a rare find. Not to many are currently on the road. Currently stored in a garage for the winter. Call Sean Corcoran at 315.863.5743 to discuss further or set up a viewing of the car.

•do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

------------------
FIEROBUG!!!!!!!!!!

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dont lose hope. I recommend buying from respected people on this forum.
Out in crazy world where everyone thinks every Fiero is "rare" and "they are plastic so they cant rust" its a crap shoot.

Here we are crazy in a good way.
louielouie2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for louielouie2000Send a Private Message to louielouie2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tthrock:

Thanks for the replies all. I really apprecite it. I think I will do what I did last time I got really dissapointed - stop looking for awhile. My father said I am not the right owner for an old car because they will need constant work / repair... I guess he is right, I work a lot and have a wife and three kids at home. I seen a Fiero that had an SC II in it that had been completely rebuilt and painted but they wanted 7k for it, guaranteed the frame wasnt rusted out, all bushings and ball joints replaced, 2k over my max budget, I looked but didnt drive, wasnt fair to the owner to waste his time when I knew I wasnt going to buy. Awsome car though... I should have bit the bullet and bought it. It is hard to justify that much for a toy though, with the kids and all... I am so torn up about this. I have always wanted a V6, notchback and thought I was going to get te best one, Formula. I feel so rushed because I know they are dissapearing. I see so many being parted out on CL, and read about so many people that have three or more (you crazy hoarders lol). Less and less on the market. I dont know how to work on cars much (basic maintenance, minor mechanical repairs) but I cant get Fiero's off my mind. I was 15-16 when I seen my first Fero in 84-85, and always wanted one... Childhood memories, crazy huh... Sorry to rant so much, 44 years old and I thought a 3,500 car was going to make me happy, and it didnt work out. I need to grow up lol, but those cars make me feel like a kid again...
Thanks again for the replies guys... and to to guy talking about the GT above, I cant drive that far and am not wanting a GT, I like the notchies, they look different than everything out there, what I feel in love with the first time I seen one. Thanks anyway, pictures still good because someone on here would love to have an 88 GT. Perhaps they can sell me their V6 notchie and buy the GT...

Hang in there! I recently saw a completely pristine '88 Formula for sale with 32k miles with an asking price of $5k. Deals are still out there, you've just gotta be vigilant.
fierobug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobugSend a Private Message to fierobugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't give up. I know what your talking about when it feels like being a happy kid again. I was when I got it and still am when driving or working on the old fiero. Find a forum member with one for sale like has been said and keep the faith. I'll keep my eyes out for you too. Good luck.

------------------
FIEROBUG!!!!!!!!!!

kymmee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kymmeeSend a Private Message to kymmeeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I feel your pain-a similar situation happened to me-I am also in Ohio. I was in the market for an Indy and went with my trailer to purchase one about 3 hrs away. I had several conversations with the owner and got a lot of pictures, but failed to get one picture of the carpet lifted up in the hatch area (lesson learned). I got there and that was the last thing I checked before getting ready to hand over the cash and load it up. There was rust and it was pretty significant. The owner about freaked out when I found it and he was pretty upset. Honestly, I dont think he realized it was there either.

I ended up getting another Indy from a forum member here that had zero rust, 10,000 miles less, was MUCH nicer, and for just a little more money. I was glad I waited and found what I really wanted. The car you want is out there, you just gotta be patient.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wen i was first looking I test drove one that was listed at $2k. It was not great cosmetically, and based on fluids had just came out of long term poor condition storage. Quite a few red flags told me the car was not well mainteined and seemed to being unloaded on anyone unsuspecting enough to bite. When I got back I pointed out things wrong and mentioned I didnt think I could pay $1000 for the car in the condition it is in. The guy replied, "its $2000." I took that to mean negotiations were over.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 05:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I seen a Fiero that had an SC II in it ...

I have always wanted a V6, notchback and thought I was going to get te best one, Formula. I feel so rushed because I know they are dissapearing.

The car with the engine swap is the one to get. The better engine really transforms the car and multiplies the fun factor by a lot. My experiences with the stock V6 lead me to say that it's the worst engine i've ever had in a car. It is engineered by the factory to run hot, give you problems and keep you running for parts or back to the dealer - either way GM makes more money. Cooked alternators, coils, pick-up coils that are a pain and require routine replacement, rusted exhaust manifold by (recall) design - all things that will turn your love for your car cold (in addition to the other crap like plastic radiator tanks, sagging door hinges, leaky heater cores, phantom wipers, slow windows and locks, faulty gas gauge, etc.). My 3800SC gives me better gas mileage and runs cooler than any stock 2.8 i've ever had . My V8 is just a beast that always brings a smile and gives mileage about the same as the stock 2.8 (with about 3x the HP).

Get a good car even if you have to spend more money and wait a little longer. Believe me, they are NOT disappearing that fast, but a bad one will nickel and dime you to death and leave you stranded. You better be willing to be a mechanic or don't buy a fiero (no lie). If you need to drive the car every day and can't or don't wanna do your own work, I'd look at a turbo MR2. That's my best advice. The most expensive car you will ever own is a cheap fiero .

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 03-20-2014).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldnt say Formulas are disappearing. In some ways if you wait, you are just waiting for someone to fix one up real nice and then sell it for about what they bought it for. Sometimes its nice to be on the good end of that deal

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:
The car with the engine swap is the one to get. The better engine really transforms the car and multiplies the fun factor by a lot. My experiences with the stock V6 lead me to say that it's the worst engine i've ever had in a car. It is engineered by the factory to run hot, give you problems and keep you running for parts or back to the dealer - either way GM makes more money. Cooked alternators, coils, pick-up coils that are a pain and require routine replacement, rusted exhaust manifold by (recall) design - all things that will turn your love for your car cold (in addition to the other crap like plastic radiator tanks, sagging door hinges, leaky heater cores, phantom wipers, slow windows and locks, faulty gas gauge, etc.). My 3800SC gives me better gas mileage and runs cooler than any stock 2.8 i've ever had . My V8 is just a beast that always brings a smile and gives mileage about the same as the stock 2.8 (with about 3x the HP).

Get a good car even if you have to spend more money and wait a little longer. Believe me, they are NOT disappearing that fast, but a bad one will nickel and dime you to death and leave you stranded. You better be willing to be a mechanic or don't buy a fiero (no lie). If you need to drive the car every day and can't or don't wanna do your own work, I'd look at a turbo MR2. That's my best advice. The most expensive car you will ever own is a cheap fiero .

A small displacement V6 designed for an economy sedan in the late 1970's would never be anyone's first choice for a 2 seat mid-engine car, but it appears that Paul has had a more negative experience with the motor than most. It's really not that bad. If you have overcome your 'Need for Speed' and like to live like a responsible adult, the 2.8 gets you around quite well, and with a very acceptable maintenance record. A lot of 2.8 Fieros were abused, I'll grant you that, but many well maintained ones have gone over 300,000 miles. The 2.8 has a lot going for it, like low price and durability, and with a 5 speed, it still is very enjoyable on a twisty road.

PFF
System Bot
tthrock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tthrockSend a Private Message to tthrockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So the general thing I am hearing from all your great replies... Don't be discouraged, keep looking, the right Fiero will come along.
Sound advice... I am keeping my fingers crossed for a Fiero Formula... I like the basic pointy front end, so might be able to find one that had a 4 cycl with an engine swap... How are the 4 cycl cars, any fun?
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So the general thing I am hearing from all your great replies... Don't be discouraged, keep looking, the right Fiero will come along.
Sound advice... I am keeping my fingers crossed for a Fiero Formula... I like the basic pointy front end, so might be able to find one that had a 4 cycl with an engine swap... How are the 4 cycl cars, any fun?

I had a 88 Base coupe 5 speed for 12 years, got a 87 with a 3800. WOW what a difference. Mind you I am no kid. In my youth just out of High School I bought a 69 Z/28 that was a year old. Back to the Fiero. The 3800 in my car is a stock 3800SC, which is more than enough. After driving the 2.5 for so long I find by just barely pressing on the accelerator, you are on the expressway at or above legal speed in a short period of time. Oh I hear you on the notchie. I still like the looks of it over my GT. I found after I bought my car which I did in haste, nicer cars where available for about a thousand more. So hang in there they are around. SAY Snapperhead has or had a gorgeous notchie for sale. Contact him. Look in the post about starting up the Fiero club again in Grand Rapids. He started the thread and also has a thread in the mall selling hitches.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...093580.html

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 03-20-2014).]

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Snapperhead says it is available.
Snapperhead

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

Snapperhead says it is available.

Thanks for the note. Here is the link

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/068657.html

Vince

------------------
Snapperhead Performance - Custom Hot Rods & Accessories
Stainless & Acrylic Deck Lid, Hood, Trunk & Door Sill Plate Mirrors - Vette Brake Swap Consentric Rings - Powder Coating Service - Hidden Trailer Hitch - PnP Trailer Hitch Wiring Harness - LED Reverse Lights

Threads:
Used Fiero Parts - Custom LED Back Up Lights - Hidden Trailer Hitch - Mirror Panels - Door Sill Mirrors - Vette Brake Swap Consentric Rings

Rides:
85 Fiero Gt, Green "Grasshopper", 86 Fiero GT, Blue, V8 " Snapperhead" 2013 Fierorama Best of Show Non-Stock, 87
GT Met Orange, 88 Formula White stock soon to be 4.9 met Blue like Snapperhead--- 10 Camaro, 99 K2500 Suburban,
04 Trailblazer

[This message has been edited by Snapperhead (edited 03-22-2014).]

tthrock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tthrockSend a Private Message to tthrockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
AW-Snap (lol) that green 85 looks nice. Whats it look like with the factory wheels? Got more pics. Some rust - frame? BIG question, would it be safe and reliable to drive 4 hrs home (your in MI I am in OH) (tired engine), would it pass Ohio inspection to get the title transfered (exhaust cat del), if all yes... We need to talk.
It is not a Formula but she looks good. Trying to get over the Formula (broken heart, lol)...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock