Made new tail lights by racingfortheson
Started on: 03-08-2014 11:45 AM
Replies: 18 (854 views)
Last post by: racingfortheson on 03-11-2014 11:06 PM
racingfortheson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I'm very cheap and think thing are a lot of the time over priced. I also didn't like the dated stock style tail lights on my GT. I looked everywhere for a different style that wouldn't cost me $300 or more. so I did this for $75. Yes $75 and could have been cheeper but the lights I used $17.50 each and the 4 pigtails where $5. They are trailer lights off a big rig that I found online and got them from a local Big Truck Assy Shop. The outside glows and the middle has red led's that are way bright.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
Here is an Ebay listing for some http://www.ebay.com/itm/281...id=p3984.m1423.l2648

So I took my light apart and figured out where I wanted to space the lights out the new lights. I drilled pilot holes with my drill and then put a 4" hole saw in my drill press. I held it in my hand and pushed up so I could control how much and where the force was applied.

I then placed the colored cover over the back panel and cut away everything I need to so the lights would sit flush.

Make sure that you don't cut any of the mounting tabs off on the back side. (You can also see how I fixed a broken one a while back with new clip and JB Weld)

I painted the front Flat black and then made some studs with 1" long bolts and some epoxy.
[/URL]

Then fabed up a quick bracket and used some washers. (I know the bracket isn't perfect. I plan on making a better one later)

Put everything back to gather and here is a look. The camera flash made the lights off show up more then they really do. They really kinda disappear behind the lens.

I'm going into town today to get some kind of plug for the wiring. I have the two middle ones as brakes and the outside as blinkers. I will post a video of the lights working asap.

[This message has been edited by racingfortheson (edited 03-08-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the first time I've tried to post pics Looks like I failed.

Got IT!!!!!

[This message has been edited by racingfortheson (edited 03-08-2014).]

AstroBDean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AstroBDeanSend a Private Message to AstroBDeanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those look very nice.
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did the same mod about 4 years ago with a slightly larger tail light. My build thread . I have had no problems at all but I sure like the brighter LED you used. Command Electronics now has a replacement LED bulb for the bayonet style tail lamps. I think I will order a few and see how they work. I am not sure if the replacement bulb they list is a dual element from both running and brake light though.

Your lights look great

Dr. W.

------------------
Is your Fastback GT's trunk seal shot? My Gen IV replacement GT trunk seals with miter double bonded corners are now in production. $95 shipped to the US (contact me for international shipping rates) More info can be found here GT Trunk Seal Project

bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
YES !!!!!
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks very nice!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by racingfortheson:

So I'm very cheap and think thing are a lot of the time over priced. I also didn't like the dated stock style tail lights on my GT.

I'm sure a few '86-'88 Fiero GT owners shed a tear or two at the thought of you destroying what appeared to be good condition stock tail lights (as they're getting harder to find).

However, what you did looks pretty good. Makes me wonder what notchie tail lights (which are still quite plentiful) would look like with a similar conversion.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I'm sure a few '86-'88 Fiero GT owners shed a tear or two at the thought of you destroying what appeared to be good condition stock tail lights (as they're getting harder to find).

However, what you did looks pretty good. Makes me wonder what notchie tail lights (which are still quite plentiful) would look like with a similar conversion.

Yes I did, I am crying as I type, why of why did you destroy a perfectly good set of light to do that? couldn't you have just, ah never mind everything must change for the children's sake, kids don't care.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 03-08-2014).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need to jump 2 pin, C7 H8 both white wires, on C500 to make brake lights flash when turn signal are on.
Then wire stop lights to turn wires in back.
Ignore stop wires.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The inner lenses are not hard to find as they are rarely damaged unless in an accident, I have 6 sets of them in my basement. It's the outer lenses that are hard to find and those are left untouched with this mod.

Dr. W.

------------------
Is your Fastback GT's trunk seal shot? My Gen IV replacement GT trunk seals with miter double bonded corners are now in production. $95 shipped to the US (contact me for international shipping rates) More info can be found here GT Trunk Seal Project

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 03-08-2014).]

racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by infinitewill:

The inner lenses are not hard to find as they are rarely damaged unless in an accident, I have 6 sets of them in my basement. It's the outer lenses that are hard to find and those are left untouched with this mod.

Dr. W.

You are right. That was the plan. I love the "PONTIAC" on the rear and this mod keeps it. I also like just the outside lights being the blinkers and inside being the stop lights. If they both come on it is blinding. I couldn't be happier.

O, so here is how I told care of the wiring. i just got to sets of trailer wire plugs for $5 a set.

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I love the "PONTIAC" on the rear and this mod keeps it.

Well, give us a picture of the full show then... with everything lit up!

(Picture taking hint for this shot - Place the camera on something solid so it won't move when you trip the "shutter", and try not using a flash.)
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like them, looks good!

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo.
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project, Super Duty 4 swap

racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, give us a picture of the full show then... with everything lit up!

(Picture taking hint for this shot - Place the camera on something solid so it won't move when you trip the "shutter", and try not using a flash.)

I'll have to do it in the day, because they are so bright that the rigs make it look like the whole thing is lit. May try a video.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I also like just the outside lights being the blinkers and inside being the stop lights. If they both come on it is blinding.

Could cause problems for wiring this way with only red lights, like cops could stop you or failing inspection.
Is why notchies are wired so when turn is on then no stop light on that corner.
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Could cause problems for wiring this way with only red lights, like cops could stop you or failing inspection.
Is why notchies are wired so when turn is on then no stop light on that corner.

I don't know how laws are where you are, but they will pass no problem here in my town. The lights are also DOT lights with DOT numbers made into the lens, so no worries here.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to LOL a little a the "sentimental" replies from people thinking you had ruined a set of tail lights! :-D I too have had a lot of "extra" inners over the years (many of which I have given away to others for various projects).

Nicely done - I may have to try finishing my reworking my tails again someday!

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used Rodney's brighter bulbs however there are now LED replacement bulbs as well

Dr. W.

------------------

racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2014 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Worst part is the fact that I can't drive the car cause my seats are still getting rebuilt.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock