How Screwed Am I? by DKcustoms
Started on: 01-21-2014 02:23 PM
Replies: 9 (541 views)
Last post by: DKcustoms on 01-22-2014 08:53 PM
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Originally I was going to title this thread, "Should I be Worried?" but then I removed the cooling fan in the trunk, and well, you be the judge.

I apologize ahead of time for some of the blurry pictures, I don't have a smartphone yet and the GoPro was just too far away.

Driver side, near the taillights

Trunk Bottom

Passenger Side

Passenger Side after Removing the Blower Fan

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That doesn't look too bad, certainly fixable. The question now is the condition of the rails on the other side.

I recently repaired mine and they looked worse than that.

Bob

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/131025.html

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 01-21-2014).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, could be alot worse. The "sheet metal" in those areas is less important than the structural supports, but its also a sort of barometer for what you may find elseware. Keep looking.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats all pretty repairable. Myself on replacement panels in stuff like that, I prefer using thin aluminum sheet metal. Its a lot easier to conform to shape. After repairs, i coat it with paintable rubberized undercoating. After a day, its dry enough to paint over it. I removed the blower in all 3 of my cars with no ill effects.
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have fixed much worse. To me looks like a good 2 weekend project and done.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here in the great salt state of Michigan, that's showroom new.
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not bad at all, on my 87 I have a giant hole on that whole corner.... However the frame rails are perfect and no other rust!

------------------
1987 Fiero GTX 3800 Turbo... My Build, ST3 Cam, Lowered, Wheels, and pics enjoy!https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
reach up into the wheel well and feel for the rail. its just outboard of the coil spring. you don't want any or very little as in surface rust on your hand or falling out. Thought the trunk areas don't look that bad should be fixable.
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya, you'll need to investigate more. Pull the wheel, then the wheel well liner and inspect the frame rails running from the rear bulkhead up over the wheel and to the rear end. My first GT looked like this and she went bye bye....only because I had a donor chassis. If you search, somebody made/makes replacement rails but it's a lot of work to replace them. Hopefully it's just your trunk that's in need of repair.

hmmm can't get the picture to show up correctly....

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 01-22-2014).]

DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, I'll be pulling the wheels and liner the next chance I get.
Fingers crossed...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock