Alternator went out in my GT. by RockDork
Started on: 01-12-2014 11:02 PM
Replies: 17 (642 views)
Last post by: RockDork on 01-19-2014 12:00 PM
RockDork

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RockDorkSend a Private Message to RockDorkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are they a universal GM part or is it an alternator exclusive to the Fiero? How much could I expect to pay for the part along with current labor rates?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are not a universal part, but it is not unique to the Fiero either. There are tons of different alternators with different clocking and pulleys, but finding one for the Fiero is not difficult.

If you have a manual transmission it's easy to do it yourself. It drops right out. If you have the auto it's trickier that you have to disconnect part of the suspension to get it out from below.
RockDork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RockDorkSend a Private Message to RockDorkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, mine is an auto. will it somewhat easy for my mechanic to find a new one through an auto parts store?
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought mine at the local O'Reilly's... I think it was $90 or so, with a lifetime warranty. This was several years ago.

I have an auto and yanked my alternator out through the top. Disconnected the blower tubes, the dogbone, and stuck a scissor jack between the engine and rear bulkhead - not the recommended method but the engine mounts were very squishy (shot) so it worked. It was daily driven then and I needed it replaced quickly. Just so happened that the dirty method proved most expedient.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 04:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RockDork:

Yeah, mine is an auto. will it somewhat easy for my mechanic to find a new one through an auto parts store?

Off the shelve part and about an hour to change not rushing things...
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had them rebuilt. A small factoid: My 87 GT, bought new, I'm still running the original alternator (145,000 miles) My 88 GT bought in 1996 has gone through three. (?) The 88 has had an engine swap or two, the last one (75,000 miles ago) (3.4 L) has had two alternators.
88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have changed my alternator twice--its an auto--didn't have to remove part of the suspension at all--I DID remove the passenger rear wheel though so I could access the bolts easier
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or, since you're going to replace you could upgrade to the later CS series alternator, which is electrically superior and is slightly smaller to boot. You can find "Wombats" write - up in the Ogre's Cave . Lastly, when you get to the auto store you need to ask for an alternator for an 88 GT. Thanks, Kit
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
and to change the wiring connection to match the 88. also covered in the article in ogre's cave.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There was a recent discussion about dropping the rear cradle bolts to create room to change the front spark plugs. I wonder if this technique would be helpful for changing alternators, too?

Jonathan
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As mentioned, it is an off the shelf part still. I went into Auto Zone 3 years ago and bought mine, was under $100, and they had it in stock.
PFF
System Bot
RockDork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RockDorkSend a Private Message to RockDorkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for all the advise guys.
AL68

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL68Send a Private Message to AL68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

There was a recent discussion about dropping the rear cradle bolts to create room to change the front spark plugs. I wonder if this technique would be helpful for changing alternators, too?

Jonathan

I changed the alternator on my 86 GT auto a month ago, it would not come out of the right wheelwell opening even with the tie rod loose, had to lower the rear of the cradle to get enough room.
I think it was hitting the lower part of the aluminum alternator bracket.
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Totally unnecessary to lower the cradle . I have two GT's that are both auto's. The trick is to unbolt the alternator, set it down on the cradle, unbolt and remove the alternator bracket, then take out the alternator. This has always worked for me and I have replaced many.
Kit
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If given the two options, I'd lower the cradle. Sounds much easier.

Jonathan
AL68

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL68Send a Private Message to AL68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was looking at removing the bracket but it was easier & faster to put on jackstands & loosen the two cradle bolts.
StoicMe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StoicMeSend a Private Message to StoicMeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I changed the alternator on my 86 SE auto several years back, some brilliant soul on here suggested unbolting the alternator and splitting the case, then removing the two halves. Split new alternator, insert halves and reassemble. This worked like a charm, and was certainly easier that disassembling brackets or suspensions. Four little bolts and it splits in half. Just make sure you stick an paperclip or some sort of pin in the little hole to capture the spring on the brushes.

[This message has been edited by StoicMe (edited 01-17-2014).]

RockDork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2014 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RockDorkSend a Private Message to RockDorkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again for all your help. So glad I have you guys to bounce off of. Lotsa good advise here!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock