Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  I need to convince my parents that a Fiero is right for a first car (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
I need to convince my parents that a Fiero is right for a first car by 8bit88
Started on: 01-02-2014 11:45 AM
Replies: 132 (3020 views)
Last post by: doublec4 on 02-24-2015 11:19 PM
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now there is a thinking man, buying a car with a Fiero future in mind! Me likey!!!!!
IP: Logged
MFord1993

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MFord1993Send a Private Message to MFord1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a fiero as my first car 5 years ago, and I'm going to warn you, one is not enough. My first one was great, but it left something to be desired, apparently that something was 11 more. But in all seriousness, your first car is greatly going to affect what cars you like. I didn't expect to like Fieros when I was 14, now I'm obsessed. My parents let me get a $600 fiero that was road ready because, as my mother said, "He's just going to wreck it anyways." Guess what happened, I hit an inanimate object, in the high school drop off,16 days after I got my license, totaled. All of my close friends have hit inanimate objects. 9/10 times you're going to be doing something stupid. You're a young guy and you're going to think you're invincible. But you're not. My parents told me that, but I was 16, and I was invincible and knew everything. What car you have isn't going to change that. But what car you have will make the difference whether you walk away or not.

Fieros do give you a more connected driving experience. After driving one for a few years, abs/traction control in newer cars will drive you nuts. I bought a 98 s10 a few years later, and I had to pull the abs fuse, it drove me crazy! Especially in the snow. Hopefully your parents let you get one though. Its like nothing else!

------------------
Current Vehicles;
1984 Fiero SE (Saved from Crusher, 47k original miles)
1985 Fiero GT "Red GT" (3.4 rebuilt from a 95 Camaro)
1988 Fiero "Black Fiero" (Mid 3800sc swap/ restoration)
1988 Fiero GT "The GT" (Original silver, currently winterized)
1989 Olds Cutlass Cierra "Grandpa"

8bit88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry that i haven't really kept up with the thread much, but I really appreciate all of the support I am recieving! I would probably consider a Honda or Toyota if my grandpa hadn't worked for GM for many years (made doors at a Saturn plant). Sadly HOA in my neighborhood tries to limit vehicles that don't run or are "in restoration phase" so getting one to fix is not an option, besides that my family has neither the tools (as many Allen wrenches and drill bits as possibly needed) not the experience (i come from a family of teachers and computer scientists) to fix a car. If anything my enthusiasm and abundance of knowledge is driving them away from me getting one, despite my protestations, but my theory is that if I maintain this thread long enough that i can have serious leverage on top of my previously mentioned advantages.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still havent found what their main concern is about a Fiero. ..?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

Now, what about your SECOND car? What is to stop you from saving your money and buying a Fiero as a second car/educational project? Jonathan

Excellent point
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This was my first car...'77 Triumph TR7. $1500, and a whole lot of work! Tough to find parts and those it had needed to be replaced frequently. Finally blow up the stock engine and so I dropped in a fully rebuilt Toyota 3TC engine (out of a Corolla) with a 15 psi boost turbo (275 hp). My friends parents owned a body shop, so I changed it from 5 different rattle can reds to a properly painted with all required body work - they did it all for me for only $800. Interior was immaculate. Concord deck with additional spectrum analyzer/equalizer.....ahhh youth...until I hit a fence and it took fire crews 2 hours to cut me out of it.

Sometimes the dream car of a youth is best held back for a few years until you gain experience. Make the mistakes on the beater (Honda Civic, Hyundai Accent, etc...the ones your parents prefer)...eventually you can move on to the Fiero...

(this pic was just before I changed the rims...)
8bit88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today, i cracked open my copy of Fiero by Gary Witzenburg (BTW i have the complete edition) and saw the prototype 2+2 Fiero, looked really cool, but sort of defeats the purpose of getting a sports car (or economical commuter car that just happens to be fun to drive), what's everyone else's opinion, and do you think it is at all possible to replicate it (perhaps TFF could do it)
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 8bit88:

Today, i cracked open my copy of Fiero by Gary Witzenburg (BTW i have the complete edition) and saw the prototype 2+2 Fiero, looked really cool, but sort of defeats the purpose of getting a sports car (or economical commuter car that just happens to be fun to drive), what's everyone else's opinion, and do you think it is at all possible to replicate it (perhaps TFF could do it)

The only point of the 2+2 was to demonstrate the strength of the Fiero's spaceframe concept.
When you saw in person it was apparent it would be a b*tch to get in and out and sit in back.

Now maybe a limo version... (obviously "seemed" like a good idea at the time)

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 01-30-2014).]

Slowbuild

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlowbuildSend a Private Message to SlowbuildEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hate to dash your dreams...but the fiero is not an ideal starter car. It is a very inexpensive play car. It is hard to work on, but let's say you and a buddy hit the bar, you both pick up fine looking chicks and then have no way to get them back to your place....a young man must think ahead!!

Seriously though, my experience is that Fiero takes a considerable amount of money and/or time to keep on the road.

I just bought a '94 Integra GSR, lowered/rims with a few fixable issues for 650 bones. Cheap and unbelievably easy to work on compared to the Fiero. Now that's a car I wish I had as a teenager!! I guess I'm a 41 yr old teen again now ha ha.

I hate to give up my 3.4T Fiero, but such is life. It is a ton of fun to drive!!

If you do go Fiero, please take your time and get an '88. I'm not a hater on the early years, but the '88 is just a better car imho.

Chay
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slowbuild:

...let's say you and a buddy hit the bar, you both pick up fine looking chicks and then have no way to get them back to your place....

...sounds like your buddy is walking...
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-31-2014 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:
...sounds like your buddy is walking...

And I'm sure bars are full of 15 year old kids looking to get a piece of the action, in rural Alabama.
PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never had a car that was EASIER to work on. After 5 Fieros, I have worked on just about everthing possible on them. I can remove and replace just about every part with a modest selection of hand tools. Some things require jack stands, a floor jack, and an engine hoist but those are the only things I don't carry with me. I changed a fuel pump on the side of the interstate once in about an hour.

Check my sig link to see my 85 stripped to the bone.

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Some things require jack stands, a floor jack, and an engine hoist but those are the only things I don't carry with me. I changed a fuel pump on the side of the interstate once in about an hour.

How did you change your fuel pump without jack stands? Dropping the tank isn't that difficult, but I'm not crawling under a car without jackstands for any reason!
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 03:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

And I'm sure bars are full of 15 year old kids looking to get a piece of the action, in rural Alabama.

lolololo rofl.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-01-2014 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How did you change your fuel pump without jack stands? Dropping the tank isn't that difficult, but I'm not crawling under a car without jackstands for any reason!

Must have been in a 4x4 S-10 with a Fiero body on it.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-01-2014 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

I've never had a car that was EASIER to work on. After 5 Fieros, I have worked on just about everthing possible on them. I can remove and replace just about every part with a modest selection of hand tools. Some things require jack stands, a floor jack, and an engine hoist but those are the only things I don't carry with me. I changed a fuel pump on the side of the interstate once in about an hour.

Check my sig link to see my 85 stripped to the bone.

My del Sol is far easier to work on, than my Fiero is. Any mid-90s Honda car is probably going to be easier to work on, for most things. Timing belt and similar more major things will be a bit more difficult of course. But not necessarily cheaper. But a car that's in good running condition shouldn't be too bad either way, since it should mostly be maintenance items that need changed; and if they've been done recently, you won't need to do them for quite some time.
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I got my jack stands when I went home for my fuel pump. I was about 20 miles from home and my wife came to get me. Safety first.

I did a write-up on the incident but I didn't put very much detail in the thread: "Someone stole my catalytic converter!"
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-1-084364.html

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 02-01-2014).]

Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I got my jack stands when I went home for my fuel pump. I was about 20 miles from home and my wife came to get me. Safety first.

ok...that makes more sense...thought your pump died, you pulled over and then changed the pump. I was impressed that you had all the tools AND a fuel pump in the trunk ready to go lol.

I did an engine swap on my Jeep in a snowy parking lot once...that was a fun weekend
8bit88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found so Fieros for sale locally that look pretty good
An '88 V6 $1500 needs fuel pump and some other stuff
And an '84 2m4 with 42k miles $3100
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Found so Fieros for sale locally that look pretty good
An '88 V6 $1500 needs fuel pump and some other stuff
And an '84 2m4 with 42k miles $3100

I wouldnt buy an 84 just because.
id try and find a 85 up
Vernon8360

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are your parent's concerns, specifically? If you don't know the answer to that question, how are you ever going to be able to address them? You can't solve a problem until you identify it. Otherwise you going to just toss "solutions" against a wall to see what sticks and not address the issues directly. Hint: ask them directly; "what are your concerns about me having a Fiero?" After you ask the question, keep your mouth shut and listen, very carefully, to their answers. Once you have identified and understand the issues then, and only then, will you be able to address each and everyone of their concerns.
PFF
System Bot
8bit88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Concerns with me having a Fiero are
1. Age (can't help that at all, besides getting a newer one)
2. It's small and sporty (trying to combat that with safety)
3. I can't drive yet
4. No one in my family has the tools nor the experience to work on cars, and being as old as the Fiero is it will need careful attention

------------------
My Fieros (FM4)
'88 GT 600HP G8 engine, lowered, racing modifications
'88 GT Minor street modifications, Police paint scheme
'88 GT "Banana Boat" minor street modifications
'88 GT Silver, stock
'88 GT Red, Body Kit, Racing modifications, orig. engine

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Concerns with me having a Fiero are

4. No one in my family has the tools nor the experience to work on cars, and being as old as the Fiero is it will need careful attention

Strike #4 off the list of rational arguments. Here's almost all the tools you will ever need to work on a Fiero:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/093476.html

As for experience, if they don't have experience to work on a Fiero, they don't have experience to work on any other car either. Every car will need work. EVERY CAR!! What other car can you buy that comes with a wealth of knowledge that even comes close to comparing to what has been recorded on THIS website? Not only in archived threads that are there to search and read anytime but also the near-instant, near-real time, chatroom like responses that can be had almost 24-7 on Fiero questions or pretty much ANY topic?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As for experience, if they don't have experience to work on a Fiero, they don't have experience to work on any other car either. Every car will need work.

Truth, your only option is for them to buy you a new car under warantee. So when shops work on it hopefully the warantee pays, because it will cost aloooot more to fix things. If its accident damage being fixed, they can get estimates of the insurance premium before buying any car.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 03-13-2014).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007

2. It's small and sporty

This one's not small

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-13-2014 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:
Truth, your only option is for them to buy you a new car under warantee. So when shops work on it hopefully the warantee pays, because it will cost aloooot more to fix things. If its accident damage being fixed, they can get estimates of the insurance premium before buying any car.

Well, you also have to be a little careful with that too. Most warranties won't cover maintenance items. And depending on the options you get on the new car, some of those can be pretty costly. Depending on where you live, some of those items can wear a lot faster, too. Warranty also won't cover damage due to animals or such. Having comprehensive coverage on insurance will help with that, but your insurance premium goes up too. And then there will be a car note, and more expensive insurance. And the insurance is going to be a lot more for a brand new car anyway, as the car's value is going to be a lot more than an 25 year old car.
8bit88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since my grandfather worked in the polymers division of the Saturn factory in TN I have to get a GM car. I've looked at my options and the Chevy Spark and Cruze just don't interest me (just another cheap econobox) so I made up my mind to get an older car. My dad once owned a Geo Storm (not a Gsi) and recommended it to me, but after some searching I found that they are dying off rather quickly. This leaves me with two big choices (any other suggestions would be nice) the Fiero (i'm on the forum so i'll give you 1 guess on which one i want most) and the Saturn SC series. I'm trying to get a low budget sporty car so any other suggestions are welcome.
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a brand new Saturn SL1 in 1992 when I was leaving the Army. I liked that car. I don't remember any nagging problems. I traded it in 95 for a new 240SX. I always liked the looks of the Saturn SCs but they have more of a "cute" look rather than a sporty look like the Fiero. That's all I have to say about that.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, you also have to be a little careful with that too. Most warranties won't cover maintenance items. And depending on the options you get on the new car, some of those can be pretty costly. Depending on where you live, some of those items can wear a lot faster, too. Warranty also won't cover damage due to animals or such. Having comprehensive coverage on insurance will help with that, but your insurance premium goes up too. And then there will be a car note, and more expensive insurance. And the insurance is going to be a lot more for a brand new car anyway, as the car's value is going to be a lot more than an 25 year old car.

You got that right.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007

Since my grandfather worked in the polymers division of the Saturn factory in TN I have to get a GM car. I've looked at my options and the Chevy Spark and Cruze just don't interest me (just another cheap econobox) so I made up my mind to get an older car. My dad once owned a Geo Storm (not a Gsi) and recommended it to me, but after some searching I found that they are dying off rather quickly. This leaves me with two big choices (any other suggestions would be nice) the Fiero (i'm on the forum so i'll give you 1 guess on which one i want most) and the Saturn SC series. I'm trying to get a low budget sporty car so any other suggestions are welcome.

IMO the Fiero is as trustworthy as a Storm or Saturn, and I have an SL daily driver, I like them. The Storm is hard to find at all. Both are more "economy car" than a Fiero IMO. I would think the Fiero would be safer in a crash than the Geo, and probably the same as the Saturn. If they recommended those two and dont like Fiero then I dont understand their reasoning. Maybe they think 80s is too "old"?
mkiker2089

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mkiker2089Send a Private Message to mkiker2089Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just jumping in at the end with some thoughts.

A Fiero is NOT a good first car. You need something for the school runs that you don't care about. Most people do total their first cars. That's just a sad fact in life. If you don't you will wreck it or ding it up. Fiero's are rare enough as it is.

As for getting one as a project, that's a different story. HOA won't care if the car is in the back out of site or if they are really anal get a shed for it.

Your first car should be a cheap chevy. Drive the heck out of it as I know you will and never, I repeat ever, get into the habit of doing anything with the handbrake of a fiero other than securing it for parking.
PFF
System Bot
mkiker2089

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mkiker2089Send a Private Message to mkiker2089Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mkiker2089

124 posts
Member since Nov 2012

. And the insurance is going to be a lot more for a brand new car anyway, as the car's value is going to be a lot more than an 25 year old car.

The flip side is that insurance on a 25 year old car is worthless anyway unless you get expensive "agreed value" coverage. Totaling isn't based on damage but value despite the fact that 90% of the time people assume otherwise. Going by that some insurance companies would consider a burnt out headlight to be totaled as they may just look at age and say it's worthless. Yes, I'm exaggerating but the point is the same.

On my cars I have minimal coverage as I know damage will be out of pocket anyway.

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mkiker2089:

The flip side is that insurance on a 25 year old car is worthless anyway unless you get expensive "agreed value" coverage. Totaling isn't based on damage but value despite the fact that 90% of the time people assume otherwise. Going by that some insurance companies would consider a burnt out headlight to be totaled as they may just look at age and say it's worthless. Yes, I'm exaggerating but the point is the same.

On my cars I have minimal coverage as I know damage will be out of pocket anyway.

Check out Liberty Mutual Better Car Replacement. It's what I have. If you total your car, they give you the value of a car one year newer and 10K miles fewer. That's the best policy I could find that had ZERO restrictions. I even get a discount for using The Club.

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-14-2014 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It goes by cost vs. value. Yeah, any major damage is going to result in a totalled car almost every time, with a Fiero. Total coverage on a Fiero is worthless, yeah. Liability is all you need on one. And anything under $500 you're going to pay for anyway. Anything between $500-1000, you're still going to pay $500 for, and anything over $1000 is almost certainly going to be a write-off.

Now, I know it's a hard concept for people to grasp, but it's pretty simple: pay attention when driving, react appropriately, and don't drive like an idiot. It's not hard to avoid making an insurance claim on a Fiero. Keep it maintained, drive well, and keep the rodents away from it, and you shouldn't have any problems.
mkiker2089

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkiker2089Send a Private Message to mkiker2089Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Check out Liberty Mutual Better Car Replacement. It's what I have. If you total your car, they give you the value of a car one year newer and 10K miles fewer. That's the best policy I could find that had ZERO restrictions. I even get a discount for using The Club.

I'm all over that. I'm going to get a 56 Chevy and wrap it around a telephone pole so they have to buy me a 57.

In all fairness even that's a crock on older cars. the value they have in the books is going to get you a clunker.

To me the rule is simple. Insurance; be it life, auto, health, whatever; is there to make money. They make more from you than they will EVER pay you. Hence why they still exist rather than being in a bankruptcy court. I prefer to pay expenses as they come up or use a credit card and at least manage finances.

To me the only value of insurance is liability and that's only to force the other guy to pay.

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-14-2014 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Since my grandfather worked in the polymers division of the Saturn factory in TN I have to get a GM car. I've looked at my options and the Chevy Spark and Cruze just don't interest me (just another cheap econobox) so I made up my mind to get an older car.

I haven't driven a Spark, but I had a Cruze Eco for a couple years, and it was still pretty fun to drive, even being an econo box. The Sonics aren't too bad either. The 45+ MPG I could get with it on the highway was nice too, but you're a kid, so long trips driving on the highway are probably not in your near future. A J-body might be a good car to look at.
Fadingaway

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FadingawaySend a Private Message to FadingawayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My first car was a 1990 chrysler lebaron, after a few months of ownership I decided I didnt care for the car and didnt wish to keep it running. I promptly sold it for 800 $ and bought my fiero a week later for that much. I got lucky though i met 2 of its 3 owners (siblings) and it was a first car for the both of them 1984 SE automatic. That car was nothing but reliable to me I had the occasion coolant leak, and I wrecked the passenger side tire into a curb twice and bent the spindle both times but I learned alot I picked up about 30 $ worth of tools from the local auto parts store 10 $ ratchet set screwdrivers 5 $ and a 15 $ jack I had alot of fun adventures Running around finding parts for the car. It opened up a new path for me in life I met s very knowledgeable mechanic because of the car that opened up alot of doors for me and taught me everything I asked about. A good first car, no I agree with some people there are things you need to learn about driving before jumping into a fiero because you WILL wreck it. But if you're dead set on having one there is no price tag on the value of experience of owning a fiero I say go for it but think about and dwell on all of the advice you have been given it will be well worth it in the end.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just jumping in at the end with some thoughts.

You need something for the school runs that you don't care about. ...you will wreck it or ding it up. Fiero's are rare enough as it is.

Your first car should be a cheap chevy. Drive the heck out of it as I know you will ....

A decent point.
Get a 3800SC car, and it can donate its engine to your future Fiero
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

In all fairness even that's a crock on older cars. the value they have in the books is going to get you a clunker.

They don't go by the value in a book. They will accept an appraisal and comps. That's why I save every listing of whole Fieros on ebay and print the ones that sell for more than what I paid. I have a nice stack of proof of what a similar car actually costs in today's market.

mkiker2089

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkiker2089Send a Private Message to mkiker2089Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

They don't go by the value in a book. They will accept an appraisal and comps. That's why I save every listing of whole Fieros on ebay and print the ones that sell for more than what I paid. I have a nice stack of proof of what a similar car actually costs in today's market.

We'll will have to just disagree on this one. I haven't had an insurance claim in 20 years so I can't imagine a premium low enough to merit full coverage even if I total my car today. My truck, forget about it. A 1985 S10 isn't worth much more than an 84. I bet if you add up the costs of the full coverage you'll find yourself in the red.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock