Headliner by Klondike
Started on: 12-18-2013 11:41 PM
Replies: 11 (510 views)
Last post by: IMSA GT on 12-19-2013 09:17 PM
Klondike

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2013 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KlondikeSend a Private Message to KlondikeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, it finally happened, the headliner in my '88GT is drooping so low, I'm going to need to re-glue it some way, or just replace it with a "new" one. Any suggestions would be helpful in making a decision. Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2013 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello
if your headliner is oem you will not want to reglue it. You will find that it is dried and will tear like a dried leaf. Fierostore and other PFF members here sell these headliners and are very easy to change if you have patience and take your time. There are also some how to threads about this swap or upgrade. I did it myself and it only cost material glue and time.
regards
Danyel

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

bmac

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmacSend a Private Message to bmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm in a similar situation. My 87GT has never had a headliner since I've owned it and I want to purchase one. Where is the best place to buy? Is there a cheaper quality alternative to the fierstore? I'd like something a bit more economical. I saw that Russ sells recovering materials but I'm assuming thats intended for those who still have the acutal healiner board. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks to the OP for starting this topic!

Brian
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the material is just separating, you can get replacement headliner material from any good auto parts store and a spray glue. If the headlier board is broken, you can fix it but it is a little more labor intensive. You can remove the headliner and use a fiberglass resin on the back. It will stiffen it up and then you can replace the felt material if you need to. Here is a writeup from another member:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/090811.html
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
JoAnne Fabrics sells headliner material that is a great match.
Klondike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KlondikeSend a Private Message to KlondikeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for your comments, guys! Not only are y'all helpful, but your timely responses are much appreciated.....makes the PFF a great Forum!!

Klondike

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have this to sell if anyone is interested, non sunroof, its a Fierostore ABS, the fabric started to detatch mostly in the head coves as you can see. But its a backer that will never wear out, one could even possibly reglue this fabric to it, or their own fabric.

Dark Grey - asking $160 shipped

I also have an un-installed ABS non sunroof one in light grey (the pics are decieving of color), that has never been installed or cut. It is very slightly beginning to detach in the head coves, hard to see but it is.

Light grey - asking $200 shipped

PM if interested

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 12-19-2013).]

Klondike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KlondikeSend a Private Message to KlondikeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2.5 - PM sent....
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Theres 100 threads on installing new headliner. Its pretty ez. Use DAP Weldwood Contact Cement from the hardware store. Spray can crap is well....crap. May stay up for the winter, but soon as it gets hot outside, youll be wearing it again. I dont care if it says Super Spray Headliner Glue on the can, its still all crap. I know from 30 years of replacing them. I did ceilings on custom conversion vans, travel trailers and motorhome PLUS various cars.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
JoAnne fabrics for headliner material. A couple of yards is enough (to do it twice when you mess up the first time!).
Remove old material.
Unless the old headboard is completely falling apart, reinforce the BACK, that is the side facing up when installed, not the side that goes to the inside of the car, with a couple of layers of fiberglass mat and resin. OLnly doing the back means you have a nice soft face to glue the material to. If you reinforce the other side, every bump and mat joint will show through the material once it's glued in position.
I've used spray can stuff in the past and it's been fine but it was something like 3m super duper really REALLY strong stuff (forget the exact name!).
Lay material on the headliner board then fold back in half, apply glue to the headline half and material, when tacky, fold it over with a rolling motion to avoid getting creases in it.
When done, flod the other half back, repeat.
Leave plenty of overlap around the edges.
If you have a sunroof, when cutting the opening leave LOTS of overlap. It's surprising how much it takes to wrap into the opening. Better too much than 1/4 inch too little and have to redo it all.

Best way to remove glued on headliner material that I have found is to use an angle grinder with a flap sanding disk to 'GENTLY' grind it all off.

YMMV

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are some good threads found on this forum for doing the job that even have links to videos. I found my material through eBay but any good fabric store would have the right stuff. I suggest giving it a try as it still requires the same amount of work to remove and install the headliner. The only other thing I had to buy was the clips for the panel that goes to the sides of the windshield.
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

Leave plenty of overlap around the edges.
If you have a sunroof, when cutting the opening leave LOTS of overlap. It's surprising how much it takes to wrap into the opening. Better too much than 1/4 inch too little and have to redo it all.

This is the most important part when you have a sunroof. I screwed up and tried to be accurate with my cutting and came up VERY short so more is better.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock