What are some cool mods for 87 gt. Apparance or performance by FieroGT-987
Started on: 12-09-2013 07:39 PM
Replies: 16 (757 views)
Last post by: Big Paul on 12-12-2013 04:24 PM
FieroGT-987

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2013 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wanting to know if there are any mods under $200 that you have done or heard of. I know i wont get big performance gains, but anything would be nice. And are tere any neat mods for the interior or exterior and where could i do this or can i do it myself? Thanks a lot
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
BlackEmrald

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2013 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In that pirce range, you are very limited. But a good place to start is http://www.tlg-auto.com/ they have lots of great parts and several in that price range.

All the really cool stuff is quite a bit more expensive, though.
no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2013 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TLG is awesome. I've bought a few things from them & am very happy. Their customer service is top notch, as is the quality of the items I've purchased.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2013 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can BARELY get faux carbon fiber or wood grain trim panel appliques for that price. I'm afraid if you want to get serious about modifications, you need to add at least a grand to that as a good starting place and go up from there.

You can go with some of TLG's stuff as mentioned as plenty is within that price range.

Some other cheap appearance modifications are;
- Light bezels or covers (like third-brake light covers)
- Sylvania Silverstars for your headlights are a good cheap upgrade.
- Window tint, tinted/smoked/ windows/lights (depends on what your car looks like and what you want it to look like).
- Search Craigslist for some cheap 5x100 wheels - like Scion 5x100s or similar pull-offs that you can bore the center hubs on to fit the Fiero hub. Sometimes can get for under $200 if you play cards right.

Cheap or free performance (mainly non-formance) mods;
- Remove your intake silencer/separator in the driver's rear quarter and add straight pipe. Makes for louder intake and "psssshhhhhhh" sound on de-accel. For sound only.
- EGR cover from a later model GM V6 car. Can simply pop off and stick on the Fiero EGR. Something different.
- Clean your main chassis and engine electrical grounds, and add an additional strap from engine to chassis somewhere. Some owners have reported smoother idle with this modification but depends on condition of electricals.

There's other little things but I'm afraid if you want to go beyond that you're looking at either serious money or time invested.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$200.... Save it up for when you need something for it, I cant tell you how many times I bought a fun upgrade for my car and than needed the money for something else after I bought it.
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/066792.html
LED Side marker kit - $55

These in your gauge cluster - 20 for $7.50

LED License Plate Bulbs - 10 for $10

Make your own floor mats ~$20

Save $100 more and buy some rims off of ebay that are like new.

LED Floor Lighting that Stays on while you drive - $35

LED Door Projectors from TLG - $70

-Good Luck!

------------------
My Car - 87' GT 3800sc
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/121571.html#p0

gen2muchwork

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGT-987:

Just wanting to know if there are any mods under $200 that you have done or heard of. I know i wont get big performance gains, but anything would be nice. And are tere any neat mods for the interior or exterior and where could i do this or can i do it myself? Thanks a lot

could buy yourself compound and a buffing wheel and shine it up real nice, or change a bunch of vital fluids, or buy a tire or two or maybe a shortened shift arm.

I vote for the wheel if you need it. shiney cars make me happy.
S-toon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for S-toonSend a Private Message to S-toonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engine.
Without having to tear into it, I have bought, MSD Cap & Rotor, MSD Ignition Coil, and Red STI wires all from the Fiero Store just so that it all matches up red with the engine, it really does make it look a lot better. Also a CRX Cold Air Intake, also just makes it look better, but that's just my opinion. All this less than $200
Bit dirty but heres a pic.

Interior.
Buy some nice seat covers, or look around for some nice seats that you can put in. Also, I have redone my whole interior black with Krylon Vinyl and Fabric spray paint. But theirs many colors if you like another color. This really changed the look of the inside, looks way better!
I also did the Cavalier Digital Dash, looks really cool! I would say for all in interior was around $200.
Don't have pics of the blacked out interior but heres one of the digital dash.

Exterior.
I found some nice 17" Enkei (DM5) rims on craigslist, $225. Just look around.
Front spoiler, (Skitime) that you can make from a spare front aero bumper, I bought one for $30 and added some driving lights $20 just like how he has them. If you buy some plasti dip you can also change the look of your car as you like, for example I have notchback and I blacked out the roof, and plasti dip the rims black, and front mouth lol and it really changed the way the car looked!

Suspension.
Poly kit, was $100 and that's as much as you need to spend if you do it yourself.
Kyb shocks and struts, around $150.
Lowering.
Cut the front springs, (I cut 2 coils off mine, to lower (free), and don't forget to raise your front bump stop. Might have to pay a friend a few bucks to reweld or if you can weld your self well then it will be free.
DIY coil overs, also around $150-160, this is for the springs and sleeves. can lower or keep stock height but why when they look better lowered right.
Just take your pick on what you want to buy first, and on your next $200 just buy the rest to finish it all up, so if you can only spend $200 at a time, just buy the parts in sets, like how I have listed and when you have them all, just install all at once (I mean this for the suspension). If you do all the work your self, it shouldn't be more then what I have listed, I did all the work myself.

Heres pics of front with added spoiler with driving lights, I know the paint is messed up, the black is plasti dip.

Here is a side shot of the car, showing the plasti dip roof, also the rims, that got plasti dip cus they were gray but I thought they would look better black. and you can see how its lowered.

Hope that helps you some!
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-10-2013 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A new set of tires will cost more than that. And if your car hasn't had them replaced in a very long time, it's probably nearly that time.

Check all your ball joints, shocks/struts, bushings, etc…

Replace the worn things. Fixing issues in the suspension and new tires will make it feel like a totally different car.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you can weld and grind, for a set of new exhaust gaskets, you can free up 9 rwhp by grinding off excess casting from the exhaust manifolds and a few more by cutting the cross-over pipe open where the 2 become one and grinding away the D-crimp restriction.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, since the paint is already messed up you could always do a front hood vent. So long as you already have something you can use to cut the hood it should be less than $200 considering all you really need is some Evercoat Vette Panel Adhesive/Filler and some Evercoat SMC Panel Bonder. You just measure out where you want the vent. Make your cuts. Flex the panel down and brace it. Bond a scrap piece of SMC on the side after cutting it to fit. Then fill and sand. Hit it with some primer and if you want add some screen over the opening. Then whenever you do a repaint on the car the vent will already be done rather than getting it painted and then having to pay to get the hood repainted again after. That's a rather easy "appearance" mod that is also functional.

Something like this:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...110502-1-080541.html

Although you don't have to go as extremem as that. If you search "hood vent" on the entire forum plus archives you will see a myriad of different threads where people have asked to see what others have done. Then you could look for something you like or come up with a idea of your own.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 12-10-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
CarverToo

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarverTooSend a Private Message to CarverTooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, slight diversion: What is the significance of the twin stripe over the wheel in pic above?

- I know, been out of it for a while. Thanks

Back to topic at hand...

[This message has been edited by CarverToo (edited 12-11-2013).]

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CarverToo:

OK, slight diversion: What is the significance of the twin stripe over the wheel in pic above?

- I know, been out of it for a while. Thanks

Back to topic at hand...

its the new version of racing stripe also known as competition stripes ..... considered '' IN ''

EDITED : for spelling

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 12-11-2013).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-11-2013 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:
its the new version of racing stripe also known as competion stripes ..... considered '' IN ''

"New" ?

Not really. And they're just called "fender stripes" generally.
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:
"New" ?
Not really. And they're just called "fender stripes" generally.

OHHH my bad ......you are right

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 12-11-2013).]

Big Paul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2013 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would have to say to start driving it and then wait for something to go wrong. Or start fixing smaller things. It might not have any problems now, but things will break. There isn't a whole lot of worthwhile mods to do with $200, but if your radiator goes out, calipers start sticking, alternator dies, tie rods go bad, steering column breaks, clutch hydraulics go bad, sunroof leaks, headlight motors stop working, catalytic converter gets clogged, old coolant pipes burst, battery dies, shifter assembly cracks, clutch starts slipping, shocks and struts wear out, bushings wear out, egr solenoid malfunctions, steering rack goes bad, headlights burn out, parking brake gets stuck, sensors stop working, or anything else along those lines wear out you will be glad that you have that $200 on hand. (All of these went wrong on my car btw)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock