Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  My 1987 GT 3800SC/IC/E85/HC/XP track build thread. Going for low 11's (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My 1987 GT 3800SC/IC/E85/HC/XP track build thread. Going for low 11's by djlamp14
Started on: 10-27-2013 07:26 PM
Replies: 48 (2006 views)
Last post by: hercimer01 on 05-08-2014 05:43 AM
djlamp14

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for djlamp14Send a Private Message to djlamp14Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's 20% have not drove it at night yet.
IP: Logged
FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where the front trans mount bolts to the cradle will be a weak point. Me ( sbc V8) and my son (3800sc ser2 + ZZP) have pulled the mounting bolts right up through the cradle.
djlamp14

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for djlamp14Send a Private Message to djlamp14Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought cradle braces. Hopefully those will help plus I've got my hands on a rust free cradle.
djlamp14

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for djlamp14Send a Private Message to djlamp14Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Little update. Got the engine out. New cradle was sandblasted, cradle stiffener welded in. All holes or gaps in welded seams were finished. Started gutting the engine bay. Grinding off all the tabs hangin into the bay for a cleaner look. Also is starting to look like the bottom half of the trunk is gonna have to go. Waiting on some parts still to get it on all fours again. Was not expecting to find my flexplate cracked. Will replace with OE L36 one until I can afford a SFI unit. Still on the hunt for some 16x7+ rims. Got a few in mind. I have poly cradle mounts with all new hardware. Going to use stock suspension this year until I decide on that project.

2.8 is out. Buddys that helped in the background

WCF motor mounts

Anyone know if the driver side upper inner wheel well takes any load from the car? The panel with the hump for the fuel neck. I was thinking about cutting out the whole thing and patching something in place.

During the first coat on the cradle, it will match my engine table after a few coats. If I don't like it I'll paint it black.

Pain in the ass front cradle bolts! Seized to the bushings. Had to use a 4 1/2" cutting wheel and a sawsal to get the old cradle out! Rears came out with ease.

Pulley setup thanks to fierorog. Wont run the hbody sc tensioner if it has clearance issues.

junk pile keeps growing

[This message has been edited by djlamp14 (edited 05-06-2014).]

hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 04:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by djlamp14:

Going to carbon fiber hydro dip my filled valve covers

Defiantly post lots of pics and info on the carbon fiber details please.

Originally posted by djlamp14:

WCF motor mounts

I put WCF mounts in my 3.4PR 4T60 swap. The hardware is not grade eight and snapped off on the mounts.
Change the hardware out at least.

I put FieroX mounts in my 3800SC swap. They were grade 8 and over .100 thousandth steel. Fierorog is making them now and have heard good things about his products.

Is an IC required if you're running E85? Im in the 12s now and have the speed bug. I'm considering an E85 conversion.

------------------
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap
12.840@104.8 MPH Intense-Racing 1.9 rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.4 pulley, ZZP tune and 18 year old tires.

88 Coupe under construction

88 formula 3.4L 4t60 swap SOLD

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 05-07-2014).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 04:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
By the way. Nice coffee table
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 05:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You do not need an IC with E85. This type of intercooler between the intake and supercharger becomes a huge restriction and you are better off without it.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
10.91@133.1

djlamp14

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for djlamp14Send a Private Message to djlamp14Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely not needed for E85. I'm on the bridge just how much my IC helps as I have had two occasions of complete W2A IC failure. Once a pump failure second time was the pump kill switch was off. Both times it blew off the fill cap and all leaked out. I was beating on the car both times in the summer and still never saw KR with ~20* of timing and mid teens boost.. Shows just how much of a safety net ethanol will give you. If you can tune and you are aware of the things that come with a ethanol convert car make the swap.
What I said above about IC's kinda goes out the window when I used my ice box setup. I believe that is a gain along with the E85, With that I could get my FMHE, IC and blower very cold to the touch and in turn much colder intake air. This helped me take a tenth off my 1/4 mile.

I'll post pictures of the hydro dipping.

I'll also have to take a look at those mount bolts. Did you snap off the little studs on the single bolt mounts? Seems like it would take a lot to bust those off. Did you run a upper mount?

------------------
11.8@115mph 1/4 mile 1999 Regal GSX being demodded for swap into a 87 Fiero GT.
11 sec pass>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQT4X2eBlR8

[This message has been edited by djlamp14 (edited 05-07-2014).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 05:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, it was a combination of accidentally over torquing the studs on the mounts because the steel is so soft. and just plain engine torque. I was running a Fireostore dogbone up top too.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock