Turn key swap- installs?? by BAD88GT
Started on: 10-12-2013 01:38 PM
Replies: 13 (501 views)
Last post by: BAD88GT on 10-13-2013 08:57 PM
BAD88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2013 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BAD88GTSend a Private Message to BAD88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello. Does anyone still offer turn key engine swaps?? I picked up a very clean '86 GT that I want to have done up this spring. I'm located in Idaho, but would just have the car transported if more than 10 hrs away from Idaho Falls....
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2013 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What do you want to swap, 4.9, N*, 3800, LS? engine? Do you have the engine for the swap?
What transmission are you going to use?

Jack

------------------
WARNING: Surgeon General said it's okay to smoke 3800s

BAD88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2013 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BAD88GTSend a Private Message to BAD88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probly 3800SC II/III w/5spd getrag, or auto since it seems to be the most affordable. I would want to have it cammed with roller rockers, smaller pulley, headers, and intercooler at the least. I don't have any of the parts. My car is a 4spd Muncie so I guess it would be most affordable to stick with a standard? Don't wanna spend more than $8-9k really but that may be hard I know.. Depends on how funds look come spring-summertime, and If I come across a turn-key done right for the right price just might go that route since I'd really like another '88.... I'd really like an lsx swap since I've already had 2-3800sc's and one 3400 turbo, but those engines are $$$$

[This message has been edited by BAD88GT (edited 10-12-2013).]

mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2013 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Joe Sokol Is your best bet for this area of the country. I'm in Idaho also, and have met Joe a couple of times at Fiero Fest. He mainly specializes in 4.9 and LS4 Swaps, but he has a 3800 in his shop and I believe he said he would do the swap. He does great work and is very trustworthy. Try and get in touch with him and see what he could tell you.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/088008.html

https://sites.google.com/site/fierokingcustoms/our-company
BAD88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2013 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BAD88GTSend a Private Message to BAD88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh cool Thanks!!
NoMoreRicers

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2013 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This could be a good start!

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/067206.html

Richard is a great guy!

You could take the bus to Roseburg and drive it home.

Sure it's an 84 but the price is right. The swap was done by the reputable Mike Gonzales.

Just a thought.
BAD88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2013 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BAD88GTSend a Private Message to BAD88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NoMoreRicers:

This could be a good start!

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/067206.html

Richard is a great guy!

You could take the bus to Roseburg and drive it home.

Sure it's an 84 but the price is right. The swap was done by the reputable Mike Gonzales.

Just a thought.

Hmmm. Good deal but man it would need a lot of body work and cleaning... That'd be a good car to auto-x!

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2013 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BAD88GT:

Probly 3800SC II/III w/5spd getrag, or auto since it seems to be the most affordable. I would want to have it cammed with roller rockers, smaller pulley, headers, and intercooler at the least. I don't have any of the parts. My car is a 4spd Muncie so I guess it would be most affordable to stick with a standard? Don't wanna spend more than $8-9k really but that may be hard I know.. Depends on how funds look come spring-summertime, and If I come across a turn-key done right for the right price just might go that route since I'd really like another '88.... I'd really like an lsx swap since I've already had 2-3800sc's and one 3400 turbo, but those engines are $$$$

If going with cam, IC, ect then go with the 65E trans or if u wanna keep it stick then go with the F23. I perfer the 65E myself for modded 3800s. No very many of us out there doing turn key swaps and those of us that do have a waiting list. For what u are looking to spend h can pick up a nice swapped car already done.

BAD88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2013 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BAD88GTSend a Private Message to BAD88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

If going with cam, IC, ect then go with the 65E trans or if u wanna keep it stick then go with the F23. I perfer the 65E myself for modded 3800s. No very many of us out there doing turn key swaps and those of us that do have a waiting list. For what u are looking to spend h can pick up a nice swapped car already done.

Yeah, I've been watching ebay. There was one about a month & 1/2 ago that I bid around $10k on and still got out bid :-( I'll probly just keep waiting. The last one I bought off ebay last yr was a red '88gt 3800sc II/auto. I ended up bidding over 8k and was not a very well done swap. I'm a little more weary now...

What I'd REALLY like is a Turbo 3800....!

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2013 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BAD88GT:

Yeah, I've been watching ebay. There was one about a month & 1/2 ago that I bid around $10k on and still got out bid :-( I'll probly just keep waiting. The last one I bought off ebay last yr was a red '88gt 3800sc II/auto. I ended up bidding over 8k and was not a very well done swap. I'm a little more weary now...

What I'd REALLY like is a Turbo 3800....!

For what u r looking to spend u can have a nice modded 3800 swap done the way u want it since u already have a nice car for it to be installed in. That is the down side to buying an already swapped Fiero..they usually arent exactly what they are said to be...
BAD88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2013 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BAD88GTSend a Private Message to BAD88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

For what u r looking to spend u can have a nice modded 3800 swap done the way u want it since u already have a nice car for it to be installed in. That is the down side to buying an already swapped Fiero..they usually arent exactly what they are said to be...

Yeah good point. I thought about doing it myself, but I don't want a yr long project.
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2013 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The downside to a turn-key swap is that if something goes wrong you won't know how to fix it. You local autozone is not going to be much help either. You are forever going to be dependent on the person who did the swap for technical support. 3800SC is a failry common swap, but at some point you are going to end up reverse engineering the swap to be able to work on it.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2013 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

The downside to a turn-key swap is that if something goes wrong you won't know how to fix it. You local autozone is not going to be much help either. You are forever going to be dependent on the person who did the swap for technical support. 3800SC is a failry common swap, but at some point you are going to end up reverse engineering the swap to be able to work on it.

This is a very good point....Thats why I really like doing swaps for locals incase there is ever an issue I can go take a look at it cause trying to figure out an issue over the phone is no fun. But also I can say if a swap is done right and pre-catiions are taken the owner will not have many issies to have to figure out. When I do a swap for someone I look at every little thing thinking if a issue could arise from the way I am doing something. Of course learning over the years and many swaps comes into play also.
BAD88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2013 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BAD88GTSend a Private Message to BAD88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I never had any issues other than my 3400 turbo was set-up on mega squirt which was new to me, and the turbo was mounted all half-assed. The eBay cars just weren't done to my expectations as far as wiring neatness, exhaust fitment/set-up, etc. The '88 GT 3800sc I had paid quite a bit for had the pcm just flopping around behind the glove box not even mounted and there was something very wrong with the cradle mounts or something causing it to lurch to the right or left on hard accel and deceleration. Kinda scary.....Plus the exhaust was not done as stated, Ventilation didn't work right, etc, etc,... Fixed most things I could, sold it locally losing a few grand.....
As long as they are wired right, and the mounts are made correctly. I can't see much difficulty elsewhere.

I'll either have my current car done right, or do it myself if I don't come across an already finished right car....

[This message has been edited by BAD88GT (edited 10-13-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock