High heat dynamat alternative? by IanT720
Started on: 10-10-2013 10:00 AM
Replies: 16 (1160 views)
Last post by: IanT720 on 04-27-2016 09:42 PM
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, when I first did my 3800sc swap I ripped out all the insulation. Needless to say I didn't like the heat/noise etc... Now with the swap dropped out and my turbo plans, I'd like to pretty much wrap the whole engine bay. I know the Lowes stuff works for sound, but what is good for heat? Also I like the asthetic appeal too. Thanks!

------------------
1987 Fiero GTX 3800 Turbo... My Build, ST3 Cam, Lowered, Wheels, and pics enjoy!//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-10-2013 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lizard Skin.
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The next time my engine comes out that's what i'm doing. It's not cheep as you need to buy/rent a gun too but i don't think there's anything that compares to it.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a carbon fiber welding blanket. It looks great, and can withstand a lot of heat.
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Lizard Skin.

I was looking for something reflective to brighten up the engine bay too, thanks tho
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-10-2013 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IanT720:
I was looking for something reflective to brighten up the engine bay too, thanks tho

You can paint it after it dries.

Or, cut a big piece of aluminum or steel sheet (or diamondplate if you wish), to fit the firewall area, similar to what fieroguru did for his swap here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../000123-15.html#p571

You can spray Lizard Skin, or other spray/brush-on insulation/deadener on the back of it, and on the firewall itself that the panel will cover. It'll look much better, and should provide plenty of insulation.
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now what I used on the interior was this which works as good, if not better than dynamat:
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
Much less expensive for the same results, but I have never tried it in the engine bay.

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 10-10-2013).]

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have used a product from Second Skin Audio (Damplifier Pro) on the interior of my car and it would likely work in the engine compartment also. The first set had a silver foil and the second shipment was black foil so you may want to check on what they currently supply.

The web address is http://store.secondskinaudi...Hx54CFR9M5QodpwE5sQ.

I have also used the firewall foil blanket supplied from West Coast Fiero on two cars and was quite satisfied with it.

Nelson
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
West Marine Acoustical Foam #216858, it is engine bay insulation for marine applications with inboard engines. It comes in a 54x32 bulk roll with a retail price is 117.99 last time I purchased it... If you only insulate to the double firewall tube, then 1 roll will cover 2 firewalls.
http://www.westmarine.com/w...rorView#.UlcvBhBWmJs

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXOPIE:

Now what I used on the interior was this which works as good, if not better than dynamat:
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
Much less expensive for the same results, but I have never tried it in the engine bay.

Doing the same thing myself. Got a similar brand at Home Depot for $16 a roll. Sticks like MAD.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the rolls of insulation, will it have a proper cabin insulating effect if placed on the interior? The backside of the firewall? If my point is to keep engine heat out of the cab, but I dont plan to remove my engine or wiring harnesses?
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

With the rolls of insulation, will it have a proper cabin insulating effect if placed on the interior? The backside of the firewall? If my point is to keep engine heat out of the cab, but I dont plan to remove my engine or wiring harnesses?

The insulation in the engine bay helps keep the firewall metal from being heated up (my smooth firewall panel will be 150 to 175 degrees after a drive). Putting the insulation inside the car, allows all the metal to heat up and the heat will be transferred to all other connected metal as well. Placing insulation only on the interior helps to some degree, but it won't be as effective as insulation in the engine bay.
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guy's sorry for the long awaited reply... I did buy the stuff from West Marine, and I was extremely pleased with it! The roll I received was very high quality, adhered fantastic, and looks exactly how I wanted. Im planning on a top mounted turbo over the transmission so I beefed up that area, I covered both firewalls, heavily covered the drivers side (turbo location) did around the passenger side where the coils would be, and still had extra! Still not finished trimming but you get the idea.. Here are some pictures...

------------------
1987 Fiero GTX 3800 Turbo... My Build, ST3 Cam, Lowered, Wheels, and pics enjoy!//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

mrstan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2016 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrstanSend a Private Message to mrstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

West Marine Acoustical Foam #216858, it is engine bay insulation for marine applications with inboard engines. It comes in a 54x32 bulk roll with a retail price is 117.99 last time I purchased it... If you only insulate to the double firewall tube, then 1 roll will cover 2 firewalls.
http://www.westmarine.com/w...rorView#.UlcvBhBWmJs

can this stuff go in to a normal 2.8 with engine still in there? I fear starting installing and getting half in and find out I am screwed...
mrstan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2016 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrstanSend a Private Message to mrstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mrstan

95 posts
Member since Sep 2015

Originally posted by tesmith66:

Doing the same thing myself. Got a similar brand at Home Depot for $16 a roll. Sticks like MAD.

did you put this in your engine bay or did not do it? I am wondering if you did and if it came out ok for you?

Stan
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2016 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did not put it in the engine bay. I think it would get too hot for it there.
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2016 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just use the West marine stuff. And it was very difficult cutting it to fit with the engine out. I think it's impossible to do it with the engine in. Btw... In my garage with a floor jack and hand tools, I can drop the cradle in an hour. It's really not hard at all.

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock