Pull behind trailers. by notwohorns
Started on: 10-06-2013 01:16 PM
Replies: 25 (2191 views)
Last post by: winger1955 on 01-27-2015 12:10 PM
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2013 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking of getting a small pull behind trailer. I would like to see pictures of yours to get an ideal of what I should get. How do they pull, enough room?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2013 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I made one like this with a harbor freight trailer. Harbor Freight is now selling their version.

http://www.harborfreight.co...g-trailer-66771.html

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2013 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've always thought the small trailers pulled by motorcycles would be ideal for the Fiero. A mini pop-up camper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf8KvwcRWTc

http://theusatrailerstore.c...trailers/solace.html
AL68

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2013 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL68Send a Private Message to AL68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
for hauling or camping? I've always liked the old teardrop style camping trailers:
teardrop motorcycle trailer

you can get old style wood ones or newer/lighter aluminum ones

I just found some vids of the 2009 teardrod trailer meet:
Minden Nebraska 2009 Teardrop trailer meet

[This message has been edited by AL68 (edited 10-06-2013).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2013 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is one I built back in 2005, sold it when I moved to KY.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 10-06-2013).]

fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notwohorns:

I was thinking of getting a small pull behind trailer.
How do they pull, enough room?

Open trailer for hauling, closed, maybe a tent trailer? What's the purpose?

Any of the one purpose built to be towed by a small car or motorcycle would be light and tow well.
Many manufacturers mean there's a large variety of sizes and styles.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Here is one I built back in 2005, sold it when I moved to KY.

Paul,

I would give serious $$$ for a recreation of your old trailer. A perfect travel compliment.

Will

------------------
Is your Fastback GT's trunk seal shot? My Gen IV replacement GT trunk seals with miter double bonded corners are now in production. $95 + $15 flat rate shipping to the US (contact me for international shipping rates) or buy two and pay only a single shipping rate! More info can be found here GT Trunk Seal Project

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 10-07-2013).]

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by infinitewill:

Paul,

I would give serious $$$ for a recreation of your old trailer. A perfect travel compliment.

Will

Yeah, I wish I still had it... If I make it a habit to go to the LS Fest every year, then I will likely build another one (using 88 formula panels) so I can take another set of tire with me).

Building the fastback version isn't cheap - pretty much every GT body panel is used except the roof, doors skins and 1/4 panels. On the one pictured, I didn't keep any fiero structure in the center (just around the edges for panel mounting), so it was quite spacious inside:

DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’d like to make one of those someday. What did you do as far as the substructure; axel, suspension and what not?
Wondering what would be easier, making a trailer look like a Fiero or making a Fiero into a trailer??

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:

I’d like to make one of those someday. What did you do as far as the substructure; axel, suspension and what not?
Wondering what would be easier, making a trailer look like a Fiero or making a Fiero into a trailer??

I kept the perimeter structure so every panel attaches with the factory fastners in the factory location. Then I mounted this panel support structure to a 2x2 trailer frame and traler axle, then trimmed out the inside with 16ga sheet metal. So it was a hybrid of fiero structure and trailer frame.

Here are a few pics of the fiero structure:

If anyone wants a lot more pictures of the trailer build, I have them in 4 zipped files I can email you. So just PM me your email address if you want them.

This trailer was my inspiration and it was mostly fiero structure and very little trailer, but it doesn't have the storage capacity:

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 10-07-2013).]

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroguru

12128 posts
Member since Aug 2003
Here are a few more fiero based trailers:

PFF
System Bot
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hehehehe i own this trailer. course it still has the damage that was on it when delivered..........
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If anyone wants a lot more pictures of the trailer build, I have them in 4 zipped files I can email you. So just PM me your email address if you want them.

Yes please.
I’ve probably got all the extra Formula body panels in my garage to make one of those. All i need is the front frame structure and that might be coming soon too.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

For trailers like this, which is the best or most common way this is done? Trunk section added to front suspension, hood section added to cradle and strut towers, or body panels mounted on a pre-made trailer?
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

For trailers like this, which is the best or most common way this is done? Trunk section added to front suspension, hood section added to cradle and strut towers, or body panels mounted on a pre-made trailer?

I think there have only been 3 of these wedge trailers made, so I don't think there is a common or best approach to building one yet.

The red on grafted the whole front end to the rear trunk section after the front suspension. I think they also sectioned it down the center to make it narrower. One of the nice aspects of this style is you use the stock fiero suspension so its easy to find matching wheels and very little extra parts are needed besides the fiero parts. Since it kept a large portion of the fiero chassis, the panels attach like stock.

The red trailer was my inspiration for my trailer build, but I wanted to use the fastback panels and maximize the storage space. I used a trailer axle to free up storage space, but then finding matching wheels became a challenge (as the trailer had 5 x 4 1/2" pattern, had to find the same wheels in that pattern) and adapting FWD wheels to a trailer wheel flange was a little challenge as well. I kept enough of the outer fiero structure so the panels mounted like stock as well.

Russ544 made a white trailer like the red one and he used a slightly different approach as well.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-1-056586.html
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ughh, what follows in this post is my opinion...

If you need to pull a trailer, buy a truck. Any truck. If you want to take your Fiero somewhere and need extra carrying capacity, buy a truck and then trailer the Fiero. If you cannot afford this option then maybe you need to rethink your choice of vehicle.

My opinion.
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 04:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:

If you need to pull a trailer, buy a truck. Any truck. If you want to take your Fiero somewhere and need extra carrying capacity, buy a truck and then trailer the Fiero. If you cannot afford this option then maybe you need to rethink your choice of vehicle.

My opinion.

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 06:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:

My opinion.

You are entitled to your opinion.

Many of us who have built Fiero styled trailers do indeed have other means of transportation (including trucks). Most have built a Fiero styled trailer because we thought it would be cool. The same argument could be expanded to justify never driving a Fiero at all because there are much better cars out there for basic commuting or any other driving purpose, but there are some of us who still choose to daily drive a Fiero, because we want to, not because we have to.

I built my trailer to support taking my modified Fiero on the 2005 Hot Rod Power Tour for our honeymoon from WI to FL. Sure I could have easily trailered the Fiero (the other Fiero couple we traveled with did), or taken a more practical vehicle, but what fun is that. I would much rather road trip in a Fiero and the trailer allowed the wife to bring everything she though she needed for the 2 week trip. The Fiero that pulled it had a SBC/getrag with 282 whp and 317 wtq and 12" brakes on all 4 corners and was easily up to the task of pulling and stopping the trailer.

Snapperhead

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been working on one that uses a bumperpad front and a fastback rear. My approach is mocking it up with the Fiero panels to get a mold so I can then make a fiberglass trailer from it. Then I will bolt that to a custom trailer frame with torsion stub axles with the same wheel bolt pattern as the Fiero. This will give me a lot of luggage space and a sepperate space for a built in ice chest, battery and generator .

Now if I can just have the time to finish it.

Vince

------------------
Snapperhead Performance - Custom Hot Rods & Accessories
Stainless & Acrylic Deck Lid, Hood, Trunk & Door Sill Plate Mirrors - Vette Brake Swap Consentric Rings - Powder Coating Service - Hidden Trailer Hitch - PnP Trailer Hitch Wiring Harness - LED Reverse Lights

Threads:
Used Fiero Parts - Custom LED Back Up Lights - Hidden Trailer Hitch - Mirror Panels - Door Sill Mirrors - Vette Brake Swap Consentric Rings

Rides:
85 Fiero Gt, Green "Grasshopper", 86 Fiero GT, Blue, V8 " Snapperhead" 2013 Fierorama Best of Show Non-Stock, 87
GT Met Orange, 88 Formula White stock soon to be 4.9 met Blue like Snapperhead--- 10 Camaro, 99 K2500 Suburban,
04 Trailblazer

NEVERDONE

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well quit makin so many cool items and finish the trailer! As far as trailering a fiero on a trip.....whats the point in owning one and road tripping if youre just gonna trailer it? You get a fiero cause you love driving it. Sometimes you want a little extra room so yoj make accomodations. And if you need extra space why not look good too?!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can buy a ready made frame with wheels from Harbor Freight for under $200, then build what you want on it or simply buy a rooftop carrier and bolt it on.
PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My deal is that I've got a Fiero that will likely go to the scrap yard if I don't make a trailer out of it. To put it back on the road, it would need an engine, transaxle, interior, a rear clip, a rear bumper, new control arm bushings, and who knows how many little items on the punch list. I thought my step-son might like to work on it but he seems to have lost his interest in auto mechanics. I don't expect to be able to sell it at all. Who wants to come drag a 1987 space frame out of someone else's yard?

If I make a trailer, I'll get to do some auto body as I blend the front fenders into the rear clip. It will allow the old girl to remain useful. I will get to use some of my welding skills and I'll have a useful product that you don't see many of. Wouldn't that be rare! And at the end of my journey, I should be able to sell it fairly easily if I do a good job.
Snapperhead

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NEVERDONE:

Well quit makin so many cool items and finish the trailer! As far as trailering a fiero on a trip.....whats the point in owning one and road tripping if youre just gonna trailer it? You get a fiero cause you love driving it. Sometimes you want a little extra room so yoj make accomodations. And if you need extra space why not look good too?!

Lol so true. Its not that I don't already have a trailer I just want a cooler one. As far a why I use a trailer and not a truck and trailer. I love driving my Fieros and it sure is nice to have the extra space, you don't even know its back there when driving. It looks cool to me another custom thing that sepperates it from the others. We always go shopping when we go the the shows and cruises and need the space most of he time. Oh and in case I win a big trophy at a show I can still take it home. That's why I designed my hidden hitch and put it on all my Fieros.

I've towed my Fieros from time to time in the past for one reason or another to the shows, but I would rather drive it and leave the truck and trailer at home.

Vince

------------------
Snapperhead Performance - Custom Hot Rods & Accessories
Stainless & Acrylic Deck Lid, Hood, Trunk & Door Sill Plate Mirrors - Vette Brake Swap Consentric Rings - Powder Coating Service - Hidden Trailer Hitch - PnP Trailer Hitch Wiring Harness - LED Reverse Lights

Threads:
Used Fiero Parts - Custom LED Back Up Lights - Hidden Trailer Hitch - Mirror Panels - Door Sill Mirrors - Vette Brake Swap Consentric Rings

For Sale: 85 Fiero Gt, Green "Grasshopper", 87 GT Met Orange

Rides:
86 Fiero GT, Blue, V8 " Snapperhead" 2013 Fierorama Best of Show Non-Stock, , 88 Formula White stock soon to be 4.9 met Blue like Snapperhead--- 10 Camaro, 99 K2500 Suburban, 04 Trailblazer

larini74

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larini74Click Here to visit larini74's HomePageSend a Private Message to larini74Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're talking camper type, I think this is the ultimate tear-drop style camper. It's made in Canada.
http://www.safaricondo.com/en/caravanes_R1713
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by larini74:

If you're talking camper type, I think this is the ultimate tear-drop style camper. It's made in Canada.
http://www.safaricondo.com/en/caravanes_R1713

Thats a huge teardrop! I've always wanted to build a teardrop trailer and take the Fiero on a long road trip
winger1955

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for winger1955Send a Private Message to winger1955Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fieroguru's trailer is what i like. awesome fiero trailer. i have a harbor freight trailer the i pull behind my honda goldwing motorcycle. thanks for all the help with my future build. i am down to one fiero know..an 88 red 5 speed gt/wingless. i sold a custom black 87 gt and an 85 gt custom . i have owned fiero's for 14 years. thank's everyone.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock