Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  FYI - As of September 1st 2013 - Texas no longer enforces front license plate! :)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
FYI - As of September 1st 2013 - Texas no longer enforces front license plate! :) by TXOPIE
Started on: 09-29-2013 08:27 PM
Replies: 26 (538 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 10-05-2013 11:38 AM
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FYI...All Texans....FYI - As of September 1st 2013 - Texas no longer enforces front license plate!

Barbie never had a front plate, so there are no holes and there will never ever be!

So yea, no more tickets for it!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holes are needed to install the front license plate holder..?
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rbell2915:

Holes are needed to install the front license plate holder..?

No..
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MstangsBware

11509 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Originally posted by TXOPIE:

FYI...All Texans....FYI - As of September 1st 2013 - Texas no longer enforces front license plate!

Barbie never had a front plate, so there are no holes and there will never ever be!

So yea, no more tickets for it!

U sure cause from what I have read its just the oppisite..Front plates are required and enforced by tickets.
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some Articles on the subject:

See HB 625: http://www.statesman.com/we...-take-effect-sept-1/

http://www.dallasnews.com/i...-face-a-200-fine.ece

Pretty Much before September 1, 2013, you could not be fined for not having a license plate (either front or back). As of September 1, 2013, you can be fined up to $200 for not having both license plates.

[This message has been edited by craigsfiero2007 (edited 09-29-2013).]

TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I stand corrected and thanks...I was passed the information 2nd hand from a source which is usually reliable.
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was up for debate as of Sept but unfortunately it went the wrong way.
I just put a flip up plate holder on my car at the first of Sept.
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2013 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would assume it would be enforced more rather than less or not at all. My guess is that it's only a matter of time when other states go the way of California in using speed cameras to catch speeders, red light runners , etc and then automatically send a ticket to them in the mail. You can imagine how much the police agencies like this system as it doesn't require any people/personnel to enforce it. However, in order to make it work they must be able to get a pic of the license plates. (whether the car is coming or going) This is the main reason for the front plate enforcement.
Kit
dratts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2013 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been lucky so far. I've been driving with Idaho and now Washington plates on the rear only. I would have to either drill the body or glue them to the front bumper.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2013 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good so when I get back down there I wont need one on the mera or IMSA
cyrus88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2013 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Good so when I get back down there I wont need one on the mera or IMSA

Reading the other posts suggests that you would be making a $200 mistake.
PFF
System Bot
Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

I would assume it would be enforced more rather than less or not at all. My guess is that it's only a matter of time when other states go the way of California in using speed cameras to catch speeders, red light runners , etc and then automatically send a ticket to them in the mail. You can imagine how much the police agencies like this system as it doesn't require any people/personnel to enforce it. However, in order to make it work they must be able to get a pic of the license plates. (whether the car is coming or going) This is the main reason for the front plate enforcement.
Kit

Actually other states, such as Texas, have deemed that red light cameras are unconstitutional and have gotten rid of them. Hopefully, other states will go that route instead.

carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Songman:

Actually other states, such as Texas, have deemed that red light cameras are unconstitutional and have gotten rid of them. Hopefully, other states will go that route instead.

They're unconstitutional in MN as well... but if you have a Collector plate on your car you aren't required to run a front plate anyway, and as of 2008 the 1988 Pontiac Fiero qualified.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:
They're unconstitutional in MN as well... but if you have a Collector plate on your car you aren't required to run a front plate anyway, and as of 2008 the 1988 Pontiac Fiero qualified.

Many states have limits on miles drive a year on collector/antique tags.
Read state's rules before you get one.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Many states have limits on miles drive a year on collector/antique tags.
Read state's rules before you get one.

Have one... and yeah, there are rules... none of which are actually enforceable, unless you are extremely blatant about it...

In MN...

Collector Plates
  • At the time of application, owners must certify that they have one or more vehicles registered with regular Minnesota license plates.
  • Vehicles registered in any of the collector classes are restricted to operation solely as a collector item. These vehicles cannot be used for general transportation purposes.
  • May be displayed on any motor vehicle (except recreational) that is at least 20 model years old and manufactured after 1935.
  • Collector plates may be personalized. See the Personalized Plates section above for fees and restrictions.

I'm the 'Minnesota CARBON Collector', baby...

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 10-01-2013).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Have one... and yeah, there are rules... none of which are actually enforceable, unless you are extremely blatant about it...

Not too sure about that...

I have antique plates on my Indy and I'm ready to get rid of them and go back to regular ones... I park it on the street and I start getting nasty letters for having unregistered car because of the no front plate or inspection sticker, (although neither are required). And if I'm driving and cop sees it from the front, he's going to swing around to the rear for a look, and if he sees Antique he might do the right thing and do nothing...or he could decide to nit pick me for some ridiculous reason since he's already gone to the trouble to get behind me. It's not worth saving a few bucks on a tag.
VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

It's not worth saving a few bucks on a tag.

In Minnesota it is $40.00 a year for tags

To some that is more then a few bucks when you add the years together.

I alone have saved $1200.00 not buying tags on my 1949 Ford 1/2 ton pickup.

I have Collector plates on all 3 of my Fieros, and drive them when I want to, just not to work and back.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Songman:

Not unconstitutional. But there have been citywide referendums in several cities to have them removed. Houston lost their red light cameras a while back.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by VikingRedBaron:

In Minnesota it is $40.00 a year for tags

To some that is more then a few bucks when you add the years together.

I alone have saved $1200.00 not buying tags on my 1949 Ford 1/2 ton pickup.

I have Collector plates on all 3 of my Fieros, and drive them when I want to, just not to work and back.

I don't know how long you've had the '49 but I don't see how you get to $1200.

And I don't know how to put a price on being harassed by the man. I get pulled over way too much for no reason now, I really don't like adding to that.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 10-02-2013).]

carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have antique plates on my Indy and I'm ready to get rid of them and go back to regular ones... I park it on the street and I start getting nasty letters for having unregistered car because of the no front plate or inspection sticker, (although neither are required). And if I'm driving and cop sees it from the front, he's going to swing around to the rear for a look, and if he sees Antique he might do the right thing and do nothing...or he could decide to nit pick me for some ridiculous reason since he's already gone to the trouble to get behind me. It's not worth saving a few bucks on a tag.

Sounds like harassment of the owner of a properly registered car to me... filed a complaint?
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Florida does theirs starting at 30 years old. That being said, one more year and the 84's are in!!! I haven't been able to find any rules on their DMV site as of yet.
PFF
System Bot
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Florida does theirs starting at 30 years old. That being said, one more year and the 84's are in!!! I haven't been able to find any rules on their DMV site as of yet.

320.086 Ancient or antique motor vehicles; horseless carriage, antique, or historical license plates; former military vehicles.—
320.0863 Custom vehicles and street rods; registration and license plates.—
320.08 License taxes.—
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here is MI, they are very specific on when you can drive an antique plated vehicle. Basically... parades, service and for one month out of the year, you can drive it all you want. I would love to get antique plates on my '73 Intl pickup, but too much hassle to worry about a cop pulling me over for "driving too much".

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

too much hassle to worry about a cop pulling me over for "driving too much".

I agree. I don't need any more hassles with the PoPo
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2013 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The only ones who seem to enforce the front plate law from time to time here are the DPS troopers. Local PD doesn't seem to care. We are right on the border with the state of New Mexico which does not require front plates. That may be why it is enforced less............
VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2013 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't know how long you've had the '49 but I don't see how you get to $1200.

And I don't know how to put a price on being harassed by the man. I get pulled over way too much for no reason now, I really don't like adding to that.

I bought the `49 in 1976 and put Collector Plates on it in 1983. Todays registration fees are $40.00 a year. They were $50.00 in the mid to late 80`s. I used $40.00 a year for my number.

In 30 years of having Collector plates on many vehicles, I have yet to be bothered by "The Man" but, I do not use these for work cars. I do drive them on weekends and on summer evenings. Yup, I cross state lines as well.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2013 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by VikingRedBaron:

In 30 years of having Collector plates on many vehicles, I have yet to be bothered by "The Man" but, I do not use these for work cars. I do drive them on weekends and on summer evenings. Yup, I cross state lines as well.

Yeah I can see how it add up, but as I stated I already get pulled over way too much in my grocery getter for ridiculous things like going 60 miles per hour on a tollway where everybody is going 75+ There's one section where it inexplicably drops to 50 and everyone ignores that. I just came off probation for that citation. I don't need to be harassed about a tag on top of it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock