Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Look what followed me home...

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version


next newest topic | next oldest topic
Look what followed me home... by DLCLK87GT
Started on: 09-23-2013 01:14 PM
Replies: 24 (872 views)
Last post by: weloveour86se on 09-29-2013 11:45 AM
DLCLK87GT
Member
Posts: 2679
From: South Jersey, USA
Registered: Feb 2009


Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it's an 88 base 4cyl auto. About the only option it has is AC but the best part is it's got 21516 original miles on it! bad news is that it won't run, not getting gas. That and it's been sitting outside somewhere for the past 25 years so the paint job is shot and the PO burnt a hole in the passengers seat....and the rear view mirror fell off on the way home ..but first things first, getting it to run again.



IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Chris_narf
Member
Posts: 626
From: Olathe, KS
Registered: May 2002


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've always really liked the beachwood interiors. Put some Mr. Mike's seat covers on and an engine swap and you'll be golden.

------------------
-Chris
'85 V6 SE 4sp (SOLD)
'88 GT - Series 3 SC3800 w/ 3.5" pulley, 1.8" rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.5" intake, 3.29 gearing. Installed and tuned by Sinister Performance
'99 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, owned since new
'03 Sentra SE-R Spec V (Prepping to sell)
'09 G37x Sedan w/ Premium & Nav (wife's car)
'13 G37xS Sedan (new daily driver)

IP: Logged
DLCLK87GT
Member
Posts: 2679
From: South Jersey, USA
Registered: Feb 2009


Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
for now I think I'll leave it as is and just drive/enjoy it...or actually my wife will ....she already laid claim to it. I've got 2 others that are projects (GT under the cover beside it) so I just need some help getting it running for her as is. Then we can start to modify it, she's already demanded power windows, locks and mirrors.

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 09-23-2013).]

IP: Logged
Boostdreamer
Member
Posts: 7175
From: Kingsport, Tennessee USA
Registered: Jun 2007


Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerClick Here to Email BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:

she's already demanded power windows, locks and mirrors.



Swap the entire door.

Jonathan

IP: Logged
DLCLK87GT
Member
Posts: 2679
From: South Jersey, USA
Registered: Feb 2009


Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by Boostdreamer:
Swap the entire door.
Jonathan


Exactly, already looking in the mall ....and it doesn't even run yet! The trick is going to be finding the inner Beachwood door panels. The doors themselves should be easy....
IP: Logged
TopNotch
Member
Posts: 3537
From: Lawrenceville, GA USA
Registered: Feb 2009


Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Change the oil, remove the spark plugs, squirt some oil in the cylinders, and try to turn it over with a good battery. Make sure you get some oil pressure just turning it over. The engine could be pretty dry from sitting.
IP: Logged
fierofool
Member
Posts: 11747
From: Auburn, Georgia USA
Registered: Jan 2002


Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageClick Here to Email fierofoolSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I picked up an 88 base coupe that had only been sitting for 4 years. Same thing. Wouldn't start. Fuel pump was dead. After replacing it, it still had no spray from the injector. It had a bad connection at the injector, so I cleaned that and had to tap on the injector while someone started it. The injector finally started to spray a little fuel, then more and more and it finally started. At least with the duke there's only one injector and it's very easy to access.

Sitting 25 years? Yeah, I'd squirt some Lucas Oil or Marvel Mystery Oil or some kind of lubricant into the cylinders. A little every day for about a week before trying to start it with the plugs removed. Cover that side of the engine with a towel so it doesn't blow the oil all over everything. Fire hazard, you know. Fortunately, unlike the V6, your oil will get to all parts of the rings because the piston sits vertical as opposed to 60 degrees.
IP: Logged
jaskispyder
Member
Posts: 21510
From: Northern MI
Registered: Jun 2002


Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
swapping the doors can lead to issues with door panel alignment. I always recommend swapping internals. That is a great time to clean everything up anyway. Also.... for the holes where the window cranks were, buy OEM map pockets. That is what I did and it looked stock. A lot easier than trying to find good door panels.
IP: Logged
pontiackid86
Member
Posts: 19600
From: Kingwood Texas..... Yall
Registered: Sep 2008


Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Click Here to Email pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by fierofool:

I picked up an 88 base coupe that had only been sitting for 4 years. Same thing. Wouldn't start. Fuel pump was dead. After replacing it, it still had no spray from the injector. It had a bad connection at the injector, so I cleaned that and had to tap on the injector while someone started it. The injector finally started to spray a little fuel, then more and more and it finally started. At least with the duke there's only one injector and it's very easy to access.

Sitting 25 years? Yeah, I'd squirt some Lucas Oil or Marvel Mystery Oil or some kind of lubricant into the cylinders. A little every day for about a week before trying to start it with the plugs removed. Cover that side of the engine with a towel so it doesn't blow the oil all over everything. Fire hazard, you know. Fortunately, unlike the V6, your oil will get to all parts of the rings because the piston sits vertical as opposed to 60 degrees.

That's what happened with that 88 Gt I picked up as well in ohio. Would not start, replaced the pump and still would not start... messed with the relay, started right up.
IP: Logged
weloveour86se
Member
Posts: 4289
From: maine
Registered: Feb 2011


Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Woo-Who!

Awesome. That looks like a great jumping in point. Low miles. Looks un-PO'd. That's un-Previous Ownered. Same as Momma's Grey Ghost 87, untampered with 25K miles on the odo. Congrats in the score.

Do you know how long it has been sitting? Maybe I missed this in your post. Did someone clean the interior or was it that way when you got it? Wonder what magical goodness the Fiero gods will bring under the seats!

I can't wait for the first ride pics!

ps. Dibs on the recall weather strip if you part hehe. kidding..
IP: Logged
Boostdreamer
Member
Posts: 7175
From: Kingsport, Tennessee USA
Registered: Jun 2007


Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerClick Here to Email BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:


Exactly, already looking in the mall ....and it doesn't even run yet! The trick is going to be finding the inner Beachwood door panels. The doors themselves should be easy....


You won't need new door panels if they are as good as they look in the pics. Just add map pockets to the doors to hide the crank holes. Done!

Jonathan

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DLCLK87GT
Member
Posts: 2679
From: South Jersey, USA
Registered: Feb 2009


Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by weloveour86se:

Woo-Who!
Do you know how long it has been sitting? Maybe I missed this in your post. Did someone clean the interior or was it that way when you got it? Wonder what magical goodness the Fiero gods will bring under the seats!
I can't wait for the first ride pics!
ps. Dibs on the recall weather strip if you part hehe. kidding..



That's it about an hour after we got it home, didn't touch it. I did a carfax on it and in 88-89 is had the first listing with 10k on it, i think it was for inspection, then nothing until 6 years ago when it was sold and the DMV listed the milage that it shows now 21516 so it hasn't run in at least 6 years. The kid i got it from got it from his buddy who bought it dead so who knows, could have died back in 89-90 and been sitting ever since. I got the little old lady who drove it to church story, then the fuel pump died, she had it replaced but then it died again and she just let it sit. All the original paperwork is in the console but nothing with recent dates. It's got a service sticker on the door but it's too faded out to read.

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 09-24-2013).]

IP: Logged
weloveour86se
Member
Posts: 4289
From: maine
Registered: Feb 2011


Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:
That's it about an hour after we got it home, didn't touch it. I did a carfax on it and in 88-89 is had the first listing with 10k on it, i think it was for inspection, then nothing until 6 years ago when it was sold and the DMV listed the milage that it shows now 21516 so it hasn't run in at least 6 years. The kid i got it from got it from his buddy who bought it dead so who knows, could have died back in 89-90 and been sitting ever since. I got the little old lady who drove it to church story, then the fuel pump died, she had it replaced but then it died again and she just let it sit. All the original paperwork is in the console but nothing with recent dates. It's got a service sticker on the door but it's too faded out to read.



Wow, cool. So any thoughts as to why it's not running? Or have you gotten that far yet?

IP: Logged
DLCLK87GT
Member
Posts: 2679
From: South Jersey, USA
Registered: Feb 2009


Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by weloveour86se:
Wow, cool. So any thoughts as to why it's not running? Or have you gotten that far yet?


It's not getting fuel for one reason or another. So far I’ve; replaced the pump relay, checked the fuse, checked the plug on the firewall and tried to jump the pump at the ALDL and no pump noise. I tried to crank it and the battery was weak so it barely turned over. Last night I put the battery on a charger, pulled the plugs and dumped in Marvel Mystery Oil. Tonight I'm going to unhook the fuel line at the TB and try it again to see if any gas comes out, if not the tanks coming out Saturday morning. I already got a new pump and yesterday I ordered from TFS the twin hose that connects the tank to the fill tube so I’m probably going to drop the tank Saturday regardless. Clean it out, replace the pump and clean & calibrate the sending unit. A couple things that I won’t have to worry about afterwards, especially since this is going to be my wife’s toy.
Edit to add; don't really want her doing the walk of shame.

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 09-25-2013).]

IP: Logged
n7vrz
Member
Posts: 521
From: Dixon Springs, TN
Registered: Dec 2010


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzClick Here to Email n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:


...... don't really want her doing the walk of shame.



You'll REALLY pay for that if it happens.

I would also replace the radiator cap. And the one on the thermostat housing. To me it would just be cheap 'insurance' because of sitting so long you don't know how flexible the gaskets will still be.
You might also think about doing a coolant drain/flush/refill. If you haven't already that is. If you haven't, you have no idea how old that stuff is.
Check the heater core housing for debris. Several threads have shown what can build up inside there. At least one caught fire.

IP: Logged
DLCLK87GT
Member
Posts: 2679
From: South Jersey, USA
Registered: Feb 2009


Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by n7vrz:
You'll REALLY pay for that if it happens.

I would also replace the radiator cap. And the one on the thermostat housing. To me it would just be cheap 'insurance' because of sitting so long you don't know how flexible the gaskets will still be.
You might also think about doing a coolant drain/flush/refill. If you haven't already that is. If you haven't, you have no idea how old that stuff is.
Check the heater core housing for debris. Several threads have shown what can build up inside there. At least one caught fire.


LOL, no kidding. I think AAA will be a must have. Once i can get it to run i'll go through it and change all the fluids, filters and probably start changing out the hoses too. Pretty much everything rubber will be dry rotted from sitting. Forgot to mention that i had to dissasemble the rear calipers in the PO driveway, they were frozen solid and she wouldn't budge. So that will be another thing on the to-do list. Not much good to get it running if it then wont stop!
IP: Logged
scott0999
Member
Posts: 894
From: WI
Registered: Sep 2010


Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for scott0999Click Here to Email scott0999Send a Private Message to scott0999Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if its been sitting for 25 years, the piston rings are junk. you will need to tear it down, hone the cylinders and re-ring it. thats sitting way too long for it to fix itself by oiling the rings alone.
IP: Logged
DLCLK87GT
Member
Posts: 2679
From: South Jersey, USA
Registered: Feb 2009


Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by scott0999:

if its been sitting for 25 years, the piston rings are junk. you will need to tear it down, hone the cylinders and re-ring it. thats sitting way too long for it to fix itself by oiling the rings alone.


Not necessarily. As long as there was no moisture in the motor it should be fine. And I’ve got no real idea how long this has been sitting. I'm just going by what Carfax shows, 1 report in 89 with 10k and 1 in 2008 with the 21k. Sometime in those lost 20 years it died and got parked. If however the motor is no good then I’ll just sell it (or part it). I don’t need another project. Some minor tinkering is fine but I’ve already got 2 major projects, don’t need a third. And FYI, My Formula (project #2) sat in a field under a pine tree for over 8 years. It's got almost zero rust, started up and runs like a champ. Just because 1 might have had that problem, doesn't mean they all do.
IP: Logged
weloveour86se
Member
Posts: 4289
From: maine
Registered: Feb 2011


Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So you tried cranking it and the motor turned?
IP: Logged
DLCLK87GT
Member
Posts: 2679
From: South Jersey, USA
Registered: Feb 2009


Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by weloveour86se:

So you tried cranking it and the motor turned?


The PO tried to start it right before we showed up to look at it, and again while we were there. The battery was dead so it only turned over once or twic, enough to tell me it wasn't locked up.
IP: Logged
scott0999
Member
Posts: 894
From: WI
Registered: Sep 2010


Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scott0999Click Here to Email scott0999Send a Private Message to scott0999Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:


Not necessarily. As long as there was no moisture in the motor it should be fine. And I’ve got no real idea how long this has been sitting. I'm just going by what Carfax shows, 1 report in 89 with 10k and 1 in 2008 with the 21k. Sometime in those lost 20 years it died and got parked. If however the motor is no good then I’ll just sell it (or part it). I don’t need another project. Some minor tinkering is fine but I’ve already got 2 major projects, don’t need a third. And FYI, My Formula (project #2) sat in a field under a pine tree for over 8 years. It's got almost zero rust, started up and runs like a champ. Just because 1 might have had that problem, doesn't mean they all do.


friend of mine dropped off an engine that was sitting for less than half of that and the rings are junk on it already. thats why when I saw 25 years I was like uhh. no way lol... you gotta admit that is a very long time and the rings will basically rust-weld themselves to the cylinder walls. I wish you the best of luck!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
weloveour86se
Member
Posts: 4289
From: maine
Registered: Feb 2011


Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:


The PO tried to start it right before we showed up to look at it, and again while we were there. The battery was dead so it only turned over once or twic, enough to tell me it wasn't locked up.


Cool so the motor turns freely. How does the tank smell? Furniture store-ish? Like varnish? All the rubber bits from our sending unit melted after sitting in gas all those years. Thick black sticky goo.





So have you took a quick wiff yet? Maybe just open the filler and stand there?
IP: Logged
DLCLK87GT
Member
Posts: 2679
From: South Jersey, USA
Registered: Feb 2009


Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by weloveour86se:
Thick black sticky goo.
So have you took a quick wiff yet? Maybe just open the filler and stand there?


BETTER!!! I dropped the tank today and yes, the gas smells like an antique store and not like gas should smell. Anywho, HERE'S MY PROBLEM!!!


And what I assume was the strainer...


And what was gas 10 years ago...

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 09-28-2013).]

IP: Logged
DLCLK87GT
Member
Posts: 2679
From: South Jersey, USA
Registered: Feb 2009


Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After dumping out a good 4 gallons of gas into a tank that I have no idea what to do with....I brought the tank to the local DIY car wash and blasted it out. WOW I couldn't believe the crap that came out of the tank. No rust, the tank seems pretty rust free but I'd guess the tank was close to full however many years ago it died, and the 8-9 gallons of gas evaporated down to about 2 gallons ( I put in 2 when I got it) and the tank is full of crap. It's so bad I might just look for a new tank unless you guys know of a good way to de-crud a gas tank?

Edit to add, I posted in the Tech section "best way to clean a tank" http://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/130384.html#p0

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 09-28-2013).]

IP: Logged
weloveour86se
Member
Posts: 4289
From: maine
Registered: Feb 2011


Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow nice ^^^^^. Sarcasm. But looks not so bad. IDK about washing a tank out as we just replaced ours with a known good one.

Check the fuel feed line while your there. Ours was gunked up so bad you couldn't get a puff of air through it. Once fuel gets past the filter it can't go back to the tank. Any gas that was in the line when parked has been sitting in there all these years. IDK but it seems like your right on top of things. More so then I ever was.

BTW Momma here just drove off in her 87 driveway cluttered car of 18 years. We been daily driving it and she runs great so far. Rides like a new car. Yours will too soon I hope!! Again congrats on the great find!! Have fun.
IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay



Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock