Nothing to see here....Please move along by ZACHMAN96
Started on: 08-09-2013 04:57 PM
Replies: 27 (952 views)
Last post by: ZACHMAN96 on 08-26-2013 07:59 AM
ZACHMAN96

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZACHMAN96Send a Private Message to ZACHMAN96Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been a while since i have posted. Been driving my Fiero more then I was hoping to. My other vehicle is splayed open in the driveway. Anyway I did wash my car just in time for the rain....Yeah!!! Then I decided to replace my wheels which were scraped up and starting to rust. So here is a couple before and after pics. I like em. But thats just me. What do you think? Before......

After.....And yes that is my dead lawn. Soil is lousy out here.

Also have a bad negative camber on the front drivers side. Been to two shops but still cant get it to spec. Its eating my new tire pretty quick. Need to tackle that...

Car will look better when I get the brush guard and winch installed!

[This message has been edited by ZACHMAN96 (edited 08-10-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Str8lineJKing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Str8lineJKingSend a Private Message to Str8lineJKingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good! A little too flashy for my taste. but still looks good against the blue of the car. And as a side note i hope you were joking about the brush guard and winch! lol

Check out my new to me Fiero! My First Fiero!
ZACHMAN96

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZACHMAN96Send a Private Message to ZACHMAN96Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought the car lowered on 17's. It was right down the street and covered in snow when I noticed it but I like the newer wheel/tire combos on most cars. This is 26 years old. 64k on the duke and runs like a top. Rides rough as hell but the new wheels eliminated that vibrating in the steering wheel that irritated me so im happy. Americas tires was impressed Just doing simple updates on an outdated car. I should have held out for a/c though.
Does anyone else get lousy mileage with the 4 banger? I cleared all my emission codes and my mileage actually went down. I applaud all those getting 30mpg. Im not even close.
Str8lineJKing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Str8lineJKingSend a Private Message to Str8lineJKingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't started driving mine out on the road for any long distances yet, so i cannot say for sure. I do know that i have the 4.10 4-speed so i do not expect alot out of it. I am sure however that i will have a blast driving it around town!
ZACHMAN96

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZACHMAN96Send a Private Message to ZACHMAN96Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why are all my rides automatics? My left foot feels neglected
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post08-10-2013 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tastefully done.
bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Zachman, nice to see you posting- I had wondered what had happened to you and your Fiero. I think it looks good. It does appear to be pretty low, but a good alignment shop should be able to fix you up. I've gone blue, too.

ZACHMAN96

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZACHMAN96Send a Private Message to ZACHMAN96Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bjc 350:

Zachman, nice to see you posting- I had wondered what had happened to you and your Fiero. I think it looks good. It does appear to be pretty low, but a good alignment shop should be able to fix you up. I've gone blue, too.

I don't know how many Fiero's you have, but everytime I see you posting a picture of one I am in awe. The cleanest out there. Wow!
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have four, but you know it always starts with just one! Few of us will catch Lucas who is on his 50th Fiero.
V8 Vega

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-10-2013 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8 VegaSend a Private Message to V8 VegaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As much as it rains there how on earth did the lawn die?
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ZACHMAN96:

Why are all my rides automatics? My left foot feels neglected

I had autos for years, my current ride is a 5 speed, but the PO broke third, so I have been skipping third.
I have a replacement, but I am not sure of the condition of it, so I plan on opening it up and checking it out.
Even in its present condition, the 2M4 is a pleasure to drive and feels so sporty compared to the auto.
If you can, get a manual car to build and drive, you won't regret it.
PFF
System Bot
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ZACHMAN96:
Does anyone else get lousy mileage with the 4 banger? I cleared all my emission codes and my mileage actually went down. I applaud all those getting 30mpg. Im not even close.

My 84 Duke/auto is low mileage (on the engine, not the car) and stock. I pull around 28 mpg for what I would call "normal" driving...but I live in the mountains, and the extreme climbs on some of these roads will kill the gas mileage quickly. Worst I have pulled was 20 mpg at Run For The Hills last year. For comparison...In the mid 90s, I had an 84 Duke/4.10 and I pulled 27 mpg...but I was young and stupid, so that was anything but normal driving.

"I cleared all my emission codes and my mileage actually went down." This begs the question...do you actually have an emissions issue? In the above examples, I am describing engines that are at the top of their game. With how little power a duke/auto actually puts to the ground, the loss of a couple HP can make a notable difference in economy.

Car does look good though. Personally, I would powdercoat those rockers black...but to each their own.
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back when my 84 was only a few years old, I drove 300 miles to and from my favorite camp ground, and I got 30+ MPG.
I drove 55 with the windows up, the cruse on, the air off, and only the vent supplying fresh air. The 2.5L through an auto tranny was OK,
but I expected better.
When I drove my normal style, the mileage was 25 to 26 MPG, but I was having more fun.

My present Fiero is an 86, but with an 84 motor I rebuilt a few years ago, it has a 5 speed manual and it is more fun, and I am still getting 26 to 28 MPG.
However, I am driving more aggressively!

Your mileage may vary due to anything!
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think your lawn needs a fresh coat of paint!
SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is one of those cars that you cannot say anything bad about. It looks so nice and everything blends so nicely. I rarely say anything about anyones cars so you hsould be proud Great job. Rick B
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it better now. The "before" wheels are the typical type that the Ricers/Honda guys put on .
As for the alignment, you might need to enlarge/round the hole in the upper control arm if the alignment guy still can't good enough numbers on that side. This also depends on the adjustability of your ball joint.
Kit
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Zackman-you have a PM.
ZACHMAN96

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZACHMAN96Send a Private Message to ZACHMAN96Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bjc 350:

Zackman-you have a PM.

PM to your PM
ZACHMAN96

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZACHMAN96Send a Private Message to ZACHMAN96Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ZACHMAN96

108 posts
Member since Mar 2012
So I may have found one reason my duke gets such poor gas mileage. I was wondering what the stock thermostat temp is. My gauge seems to only go up to 160 or so even on hot days. I check the local auto parts stores and it varies from 180 to 195. Mine is an 87. My manuals don't seem to be very helpful. If I am stuck in open loop, that could help explain my poor mileage. I don't know Fiero's very well but 160 seems low. Im confused
Str8lineJKing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Str8lineJKingSend a Private Message to Str8lineJKingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That would probably do it,, I am pretty sure that all of the Dukes' Thermostats were 195. Even though i have also heard that they go into closed loop at 135 or so degrees. But what do i know. I have only just started my Fiero Obsession. Good luck to you though.
ZACHMAN96

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZACHMAN96Send a Private Message to ZACHMAN96Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Str8lineJKing:

That would probably do it,, I am pretty sure that all of the Dukes' Thermostats were 195. Even though i have also heard that they go into closed loop at 135 or so degrees. But what do i know. I have only just started my Fiero Obsession. Good luck to you though.

I am hearing this from other forum members too and even a 1MPG gain for the price of a thermostat is more then worth it!!
Of course shedding 30 lbs of blubber couldnt hurt either!
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lol brushguard...

Yep thermostats were 195.

Here is some useful info about the cooling system on Fieros. Rodney Dickman has great stuff for sale as well.

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...th=22&products_id=88

ZACHMAN96

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZACHMAN96Send a Private Message to ZACHMAN96Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

lol brushguard...

Yep thermostats were 195.

Here is some useful info about the cooling system on Fieros. Rodney Dickman has great stuff for sale as well.

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...th=22&products_id=88

I have bought from Rodney before. Minor stuff. Sail panel clips and such. Very happy with his products.

The link you sent me does not apply to the 87-88 L4 engines as the fan is controlled by the ecm. I do know if 195 is the stock t-stat I am well under that, according to my temp guage. So I will pick up a 195 t-stat and see how much that helps.
ZACHMAN96

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZACHMAN96Send a Private Message to ZACHMAN96Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure how I got so off topic. I just wanted to see how you all felt about my new wheels and then I turned it all around to improving gas mileage on my little duke.
So to get it out of the way, a couple more pics of my wheels. I have to be careful because the spokes stick out a little beyond the tire unlike my other wheels so I end up a good foot from curbs when i park.

OK! done with wheels.
Onto gas mileage. I felt my engine was running in open loop and wasting gas becuase it never got warm enough to go into closed loop. Pulled my thermostat thinking it was set for lower then the oem 195 deg one. Nope it was a 195. Installed a new t-stat(probably the easist job on my engine so far) and drove for about 10 min and let idle for another 10 or so. I only have my stock gauge to go by but it did go up a bit.
Before i changed the t-stat. Air temp 77deg.....

And after.....

Doesnt look like much but that is about the highest I think I have seen the gauge read.
So I filled the gas tank and should have a pretty good reading in a couple days.

ZACHMAN96

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZACHMAN96Send a Private Message to ZACHMAN96Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ZACHMAN96

108 posts
Member since Mar 2012

Originally posted by CowsPatoot:

Car does look good though. Personally, I would powdercoat those rockers black...but to each their own.

I may have them powdercoated. Had them custom made by another forum member. Hard to read but at the back it says "MAVERICKS RIDE". Thats my beloved Golden Retriever. I thought he and I could take rides together but he doesnt like it. Figures. Anyway I thought the wheels actually tone it down some and I really dont have anything flashy on the car. Maybe someone could photoshop the rockers in black? I dont know the first thing about doing that.
ZACHMAN96

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZACHMAN96Send a Private Message to ZACHMAN96Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ZACHMAN96

108 posts
Member since Mar 2012

Originally posted by Stubby79:

I think your lawn needs a fresh coat of paint!

Maybe someone can photoshop a green lawn for me!
ZACHMAN96

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZACHMAN96Send a Private Message to ZACHMAN96Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought I would take a moment to see how many of you feel like parts are coming loose or flying off the car when driving on rough roads. I already know my brakes need attention, They make hideous noises with even light pedal pressure. When I had the car on the lift at an alignment shop, it was the first ime I had really had a good look at the underside of my car. Even though the major components were all secure, with the exception of the drivers side lower ball joint, I noticed quite a few loose or missing body panel fasteners. No wonder it sounded like I was losing a body panel or drivetrain part every time I hit a bump or pot hole in the road.
So my mission is to get underneath and check and/or replace every nut/bolt I can get a wrench on. It's smomewhat embarrassing to me to have people look at my car and Im thinking they like the look, when actually its some god awful noise my car is making that turns their heads.
I guess though that after 26 years things wear out and come loose. My rear speakers are a good example. They work part of the time and then I hit a bump and they stop working.
It is part of owning an older vehicle I guess. Thats why I love driving rental cars. It's probably the closest I will get to driving a new car of my own

Pardon my lack of intellect. After reading this I think I broke every grammer rule out there..........
ZACHMAN96

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZACHMAN96Send a Private Message to ZACHMAN96Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One happy camper here
Got my fuel mileage numbers in. Went from 20 mpg to 24.71 mpg and all I did was change my thermostat for $7.00!
That is a combo of city/highway, so very happy.
Perhaps a good tune up will net me even more. I hanvent done one since I bought it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock