successful bondng of roof & rear quarter by nightonfire
Started on: 07-17-2013 06:09 PM
Replies: 10 (590 views)
Last post by: nightonfire on 07-10-2014 08:41 PM
nightonfire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey evveryone,

I am looking for examples of members here who have been able to bond the roof & rear quarter of the fiero. What materials were used, fiberglass? Type or types of bonding agents? and the process?
Photos or thread links would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jetsnvettes2000

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here ya go look at all the pics really close! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...3/HTML/000125-3.html

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 07-17-2013).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ended up doing the same thing. I also swear by the 3M 8115. It is the top quality adhesive and is used by manufacturers when welding is not an option.

The main difference is that I had to make a few extra cuts for the IMSA body to fit.

nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey "Jets"

I checked it out and going to go through it again. Hope you dont mind answering a few questions
nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nightonfire

1015 posts
Member since Feb 2004
IMSA & Jets

So as far as the roof/rear panel you can use standard fiberglass & resin, or do you need a special resin?

Also, what type of "bondo"material did you use for filling/leveling?

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by nightonfire (edited 07-18-2013).]

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nightonfire:

Hey "Jets"

I checked it out and going to go through it again. Hope you dont mind answering a few questions

Fire away! I will try to help as much as I can.
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jetsnvettes2000

3311 posts
Member since Dec 2009

IMSA & Jets

So as far as the roof/rear panel you can use standard fiberglass & resin, or do you need a special resin?

Thanks!

You can use standard glass and resin for the surface, but I would reccomend using the 3m 3118 glue to do the bond of the 2 structures. make sure all the paint is off and the bonding surfaces are clean and paint free, also rough 80 grit paper would be good. the seam itself dig a channel in the fiberglass between the two panels kinda like if you cut a plate in half. Make the trough about 2 inches wide on each side of the seam tapering down lay in glass and resin in layers getting wider with each layer till you have it higher than the panels. let it cure overnight and sand smooth! then.......let it sit a few days to allow for shrinkage. after that a bit of bondo and sand and done fill prime and paint!
nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jets-

thanks for your reply,

I will definitely be using the 3m 8115 to bond the seems!
nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jets & Imsa

How many tubes did you need for the seam itself. I will have to also raise the rear roof panel just a bit to level it out.

thanks
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jets & Imsa

How many tubes did you need for the seam itself. I will have to also raise the rear roof panel just a bit to level it out.

thanks

If I remember right I used one tube, but also remember you have to dig a channel to lay the fiberglass in so don't forget that part and you will be doing mud work yet too along with fill primer and more sanding !
nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMSA- pm sent
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock