Started on: 07-03-2013 07:04 PM
Replies: 56 (2039 views)
Last post by: jimbolaya on 10-28-2014 08:32 PM
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2014 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So the car is officially street legal. It's now time to find and fix the issues that come with having it on the road. The first issue is a code 32, EGR, and the second is a tachometer that redlines, when I am on the interstate, doing 55mph. I believe the tachometer is off.

Jim
IP: Logged
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I drove the car for 2 days to work. 70 mile commute. Engine ran fine. However, I got some slipping on the tranny as I was approaching home today. Sure enough it was low on fluid. I went to go buy some, and when I got back, I see a wet spot under the car that was not there. The car is leaking transmission fluid from somewhere. I don't know when I can look at it. The first phantom has reared it's ugly head.

Jim
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2014 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a stereo installed today, fixed a code 32 issue, and found and repaired a tranny fluid leak. It was a very productive day. Still trying to track down my faulty tach readings.

Jim

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2014 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good father son project!

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We installed Rodney's tensioner and eliminated the belt squeal. We added Rodneys altenator bracket support while we were at it. In addition, I ordered dew wipes today. Hopefully we will get then within 2 weeks so I can install them while on vacation. Sail panels seem to be the tough item for these cars. $175, for after market, is kind of expensive for a kid on a budget. I'm hoping to luck upon a pair in the junkyard. Actually there was a poor condition set back in December or January, but I just couldn't make it out there. That's my busy season at work.

Jim
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dew wipes are installed. Thanks to seajai here on the forum for a great product, and to Aland for helping us to install them. We also repaired all the interior vinyl the best we could with Gorilla glue. The glue holds well, but I found no useful way to not leave clamp marks in the vinyl. Still better looking than all the edges swollen and opened up. I found a set of headlight motors off an 89 Sunbird that were supposed to match the 87-88 Fiero motors. Unfortunately they did not. So still looking for those, and some sail panels. After that it just paint. We have fabricated some temporary sail panels out of some sheets of steel. I need to clean and paint them before installing. They aren't show quality, but the look much better than bare, and we will pull them when we get some stock panels. Gumbo has his license now, and has a very dependable, smooth running car for getting to work and school. Once again thanks to USFiero for blessing us with this car.

Jim
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

Dew wipes are installed. Thanks to seajai here on the forum for a great product, and to Aland for helping us to install them. We also repaired all the interior vinyl the best we could with Gorilla glue. The glue holds well, but I found no useful way to not leave clamp marks in the vinyl. Still better looking than all the edges swollen and opened up. I found a set of headlight motors off an 89 Sunbird that were supposed to match the 87-88 Fiero motors. Unfortunately they did not. So still looking for those, and some sail panels. After that it just paint. We have fabricated some temporary sail panels out of some sheets of steel. I need to clean and paint them before installing. They aren't show quality, but the look much better than bare, and we will pull them when we get some stock panels. Gumbo has his license now, and has a very dependable, smooth running car for getting to work and school. Once again thanks to USFiero for blessing us with this car.

Jim

Who is seajai? He makes sail windows or GT windows?

Sounds like a great project. Good job.
kyunderdawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jim, can you adopt a guy from KY? I've got a car to work on too. I'll be the son you never wanted.

Great project, ya'll. Keep at it.

Paul
Josh52894

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow, nice!!! If I have kids, they will all build fieros as their first cars....... or else......
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Who is seajai? He makes sail windows or GT windows?

Sounds like a great project. Good job.

seajai is the PFF user name of a guy here on the forum that makes dew wipes, not sail panels. Here's the thread. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...4/HTML/068262-2.html

Jim

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by kyunderdawg:

Jim, can you adopt a guy from KY? I've got a car to work on too. I'll be the son you never wanted.

Great project, ya'll. Keep at it.

Paul

Sure, if you'll do the dishes and laundry without being told.

Jim

PFF
System Bot
kyunderdawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

Sure, if you'll do the dishes and laundry without being told.

Jim

Trade doin' dishes and laundry for washin' the cars. I don't think I can stand to handle your tighty whities. Don't say you go commando either........it'd be more info than I needed.

[This message has been edited by kyunderdawg (edited 04-24-2014).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car has been running great. However, finding Gen II headlight motors has been a task. I still haven't found any. Bought some out of a Sunbird that were supposed to fit the bucket and they did not, so now I'm stuck with a $60 junkyard credit until they get some headlight motors at the yard. Thought I had some when PNP posted online they had an 89 firebird, but nope, it was an 86. I'm tempted to buy Rodneys rebuild kit for the Gen I, and then when I find the Gen II, just sell the Gen I motors.

Jim
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well our patience finally paid off. I finally found some 2nd Gen headlight motors when I picked up a 4T60 transmission at the PNP. AlanD helped me install the motors today. Next up is to install the 4T60 transmission in October. Happy day.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 10-28-2014).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2014 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We got the 4T60 transmission installed. I am monitoring it for a few days on short trips, and then I am going to take it on my work commute for a week or so, and get some mileage readings.

Jim
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2014 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How hard was the install?
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2014 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

How hard was the install?

Well if I hadn't gotten the wrong transmission the first time around, it would not have been that difficult. Read about my trials and tribulations here. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/000704.html The cliff notes version is DO NOT GET A TRANSMISSION OUT OF A CADILLAC ALLANTE!

If you do get the right transmission the first time around, I would think anyone can do it. Welding might stop someone. A gear selector arm, (it has to be shortened) and one bracket mount for the cone of the transmission (the cone is longer on the 4T60), but I know someone that did the welding for me. If you don't have a welder, or don't know someone that can weld, I'm sure you could find a shop that would do it for a small fee. They are the simplest of welds.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 10-28-2014).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay