Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Interesting morning - Talked with a Fiero Engineer (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Interesting morning - Talked with a Fiero Engineer by solotwo
Started on: 06-20-2013 12:08 PM
Replies: 74 (2712 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 01-20-2016 11:32 AM
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello everyone. Say I had an interesting morning this morning. Long story so.. here goes, I received a call from MI Blood for a platelet donation, which is strange as I had just donated 17 days ago. Anyway there is a cancer patient that needs platelets bad and I am a match. They asked if I could come in asap, that was Wednesday of course I could not I was working. So I told them Thursday at 8:00 AM.

Now to the story. As I am getting out of my car another gentleman my age is getting out of his Canyon and says "nice Fiero, what year, 1986?" We started chatting and before we walked very far he mentions he was an Engineer for GM and work at the Fiero plant. So we are talking about the plant the car etc and the lady that checks us in is getting impatient. LOL.
I find out he was in charge of the interior and the exterior body panels. Unfortunately we didn't have enough time for me to ask a thousand questions.
He is retired now and lives in Rockford which is just north of Grand Rapids, as you who live in Michigan know. He gave me is card. So I plan on contacting him again. He said the 89's were great looking and Pontiac had the tooling and everything ready to go for the 89 model year. I mentioned the video I saw on the forum where the engineers were working on the prototype. He says he was more than likely in the video. He also made a point to tell me what all the Fiero engineers knew, the Fiero is a very safe car. He said they were using some high strength steel in the frame rails.

Wow what a way to start a normally dull Thursday.

Steve W.
NE Grand Rapids, MI

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 07-25-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cool story... too bad GM put their eggs in the Camaro/Firebird basket.... sigh...

Oh well, we have a unique car.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have any questions, give them to me as I will be getting with him again.
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should invite him to be an honorary member of the Forum

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[Changed topic title per OP's request]
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you!
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by TXOPIE:

That is a good idea. I'll run it past him.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Invite him to the 30th

SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty neat. Ask him if he remembers the DGP Fiero. I have had workers at the plant remember it when they seen it. Rick B

tebailey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh ya, there is a car in that picture.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are still a few people still around and they are great for info that you will never read about. Often the lower level and mid level people will say more than the head people have or will at times.
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great random encounter!
RAREW66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero engineers are most fun and informative to talk to. Most of them had a lot of pride put in to their work and usually say that the Fiero was their favorite project.

Keep after him, you never know what new information might come to light.

Fred
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also if you get to know him you may ask if he has any thing left from the program as many times good paperwork and even parts pop up. That is how my 1990 Fiero Emblems were discovered.

I know that Fred and I have met people with lot of documentation too that helps fill in the part of the story GM never told.
SuperchargedV6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My buddy's father passed away and am still waiting for his blue prints and documents from MTD of the Cradles he worked on. The family still hasn't gone through his stuff since he passed 5 years ago but they remember seeing them. Rick B
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RAREW66:

The Fiero engineers are most fun and informative to talk to. Most of them had a lot of pride put in to their work and usually say that the Fiero was their favorite project.

Keep after him, you never know what new information might come to light.

Fred

He is real nice to talk to. He emailed me and told me he has a couple of books that I can look over. So I will gladly read these.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 06-21-2013).]

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by TXOPIE:

How does that work?
robiwon1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2013 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for robiwon1Send a Private Message to robiwon1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great story! I grew up in Pontiac, on West Beverly right across from where Fiero's were loaded onto the transports. I could stand in my front yard and watch them. My dad worked at Fischer Body before the Fiero moved in. He transferred to Lake Orion to Cadillac. My neighbor who lived across from us stayed at the Fiero plant and became an engineer and worked on the prototype Fiero's. I remember he had driven home the convertible and the 4-seater at various times. Don't know whatever happened to him though. His name was Bond, John Bond.

When you see him or talk to him again, ask if he knew John.
FieroFanatic13

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2013 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've actually had a little luck in this area as well. I had an email exchange with one of the engineers who worked on the Fiero Convertible prototype back in the day. Pretty cool.
jsmorter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2013 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jsmorterSend a Private Message to jsmorterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey supercharged V6 did you work at MTD?
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2013 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anybody know how many engineers worked on the Fiero? Sounds like a lot.
PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2013 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You would be surprised at the man power it takes to produce a vehicle. You can thank a lot of that to the idiots in washington.
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

He is real nice to talk to. He emailed me and told me he has a couple of books that I can look over. So I will gladly read these.

Ask him if the Fiero really was designed, originally, with a 2 inch chop, lower than the production model?
Cordially,
Kevin

FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kevin:

Ask him if the Fiero really was designed, originally, with a 2 inch chop, lower than the production model?
Cordially,
Kevin

Not to pick, but it wouldn't have been a "chop" if it'd had been designed that way, lol.

That said, this is the original prototype that was pitched to GM management back in the late 70's:

[This message has been edited by FieroFanatic13 (edited 06-23-2013).]

SuperchargedV6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jsmorter:

hey supercharged V6 did you work at MTD?

No just my buddies dad. Rick B

nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroFanatic13:

Not to pick, but it wouldn't have been a "chop" if it'd had been designed that way, lol.

That said, this is the original prototype that was pitched to GM management back in the late 70's:

I've never seen that pic before, wow it looks fantastic for a notchie!!

FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nitroheadz28:

There are more pics of the prototype out there. I may have more somewhere myself. The running red mule prototype actually had a "Subaru" badge on the rear deck to throw people off, lol...
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did the cancer patient get the platelets? "LOL."
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Does it look so good because the roof is (approximately) an inch or two lower? Of course the first production run of Fiero's have a slightly higher roof design? Correct? Inquiring minds want to know.

Cordially,
Kevin
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

... he mentions he was an Engineer for GM and work at the Fiero plant.

I would have asked him if he have anything to do with designing the clips for the electrical connectors and, if he said "yes" i would have kicked him in the balz .....
nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kevin:

Does it look so good because the roof is (approximately) an inch or two lower? Of course the first production run of Fiero's have a slightly higher roof design? Correct? Inquiring minds want to know.

Cordially,
Kevin

Thats one of big points, as a result the windshield is laid down further and it appears more sleek. Other things being the lack of bumper pads and the side scoops give it a much more sporty look compared to the production coupes. The wheels are pretty damn cool as well!
PFF
System Bot
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thats one of big points, as a result the windshield is laid down further and it appears more sleek. Other things being the lack of bumper pads and the side scoops give it a much more sporty look compared to the production coupes

It may sacrilege but, I was never too fond of bumper pads.

[This message has been edited by 92wastheyear (edited 06-24-2013).]

nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 92wastheyear:

It may sacrilege but, I was never too fond of bumper pads.

Neither was I, when I first learned of Fieros I thought the bumperpads looked terrible. Its taken a few years but the coupes have grown on me- I still dislike the bumperpads though. Now the 88 coupes looked SO much better to me.
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Neither was I, when I first learned of Fieros I thought the bumperpads looked terrible. Its taken a few years but the coupes have grown on me- I still dislike the bumperpads though. Now the 88 coupes looked SO much better to me.

I like the Aero nose...and like you I appreciate the 88

retroman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting... I wonder what became of all that '89 tooling. I hope it's hiding in a warehouse somewhere waiting to be uncovered.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks like the back edge of the front fender is higher on the prototype than on the production models. Maybe thats what gives it the lower looking roofline.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by retroman:

Interesting... I wonder what became of all that '89 tooling. I hope it's hiding in a warehouse somewhere waiting to be uncovered.

I doubt it. When scrap was high they more than likely scrapped the metal dies.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 06-25-2013).]

FieroGT42

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

It looks like the back edge of the front fender is higher on the prototype than on the production models. Maybe thats what gives it the lower looking roofline.

I think so too. It looks like the windshield glass is much more curved toward the sides as well.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can send me all your bumperpads
robiwon1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robiwon1Send a Private Message to robiwon1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would love to see someone make that nose. That is the mule that was in the very first picture I ever saw of a Fiero. I think it was in Road and Track Sports and GT Cars issue in '83. It was a series of B&W pictures of the car on a test track, I would guess the car was silver at the time.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock