Jeff's 3.4L almost ready by Grantman
Started on: 04-18-2013 02:07 PM
Replies: 16 (714 views)
Last post by: Grantman on 08-04-2013 12:23 PM
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2013 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Getting close. Few more things to do and it will be ready to swap. No build thread, there are very good ones already available (which I studied over and over). This project wouldn't be at this point without many great folks on here with detailed builds and photos and to many people who were great to deal with for parts and suggestions.
General info: enlarged TB neck (Dawg's method), 56mm TB by Steve Monroe, ported exhaust, ported Y-pipe, 260 cam, stock lifters, mild head port and gasket match, EGR delete, dodgerunner belt tensioner, RD starter jig, 4T60 trans. Sinister chip.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2013 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very clean! I like the intake without the sticker.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2013 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice

Hope Jeff enjoys his 3.4L as much as I do!
Midn1ght Driv3r

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2013 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Midn1ght Driv3rSend a Private Message to Midn1ght Driv3rEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great so far! You did all of the stuff i wanted to do to mine. Hopefully everything goes well with the rest of the project!
Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2013 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It will look a lot more cluttered once I get the wiring on it, vacuum lines etc. Need to drop the 2.8 to grab those items to transfer yet (including upper plenum bolts which are missing in the picture). I'm waiting for someone to flame me for using the fram filter. Figured since I need to change the oil and filter so soon with the new cam no sense in buying a better one. Did add ZDDP to the crankcase and pre-oiled.
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2013 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Grantman:

General info: enlarged TB neck (Dawg's method), 56mm TB by Steve Monroe, ported exhaust, ported Y-pipe, 260 cam, stock lifters, mild head port and gasket match, EGR delete, dodgerunner belt tensioner, RD starter jig, 4T60 trans. Sinister chip.

That sounds to me to be a sensible, moderate, and well-thought-out combination that should provide you years of year-round service, just as my own 3.4L engine swap, completed on New Year's Eve of December 2006, has done for me.

[This message has been edited by project34 (edited 04-19-2013).]

JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2013 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man I wish I had a 4T60 transmission.

------------------

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/087461.html

Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2013 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks project34. Headers would be nice but those cost by themselves what I've got invested in all the other mods. Getting the engine to trans bracket welded tomorrow.
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2013 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're welcome, Grantman.

However, before you spend any more money on yours, I've one question regarding your 3.4L engine swap project: Why do you say, "Getting the engine to trans bracket welded tomorrow"?

I ask becuase I don't recall any welding being necessary or desirable with my own 3.4L engine swap, which has served me well since December of 2006.

Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2013 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the bracket is necessary because of the 4T60 portion of the swap. If I used the stock 3 speed automatic with the 3.4 the existing bracket works. But to use the 4 speed a bracket has to be made. If you look on the spacecoast thread for the 4T60 swap you'll see a bracket that they used. part of it is a stock bracket, but a piece needs to be welded onto it. pretty slick really.
Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2013 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
update: motor is out. picture of man in engine compartment still needs to be taken. I didn't lift it by the trunk latch, that's there as a precaution. I used the 4 X 4 under the frame method. worked great. next up is to transfer stuff to the 3.4 and put it in. Other than cutting one of the front cradle bolts and cutting holes in both sides of the frame to get the rears out this went pretty smooth.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT Fastback
1979 Naked Honda Goldwing

PFF
System Bot
GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2013 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You wouldn't want to sell that stock muffler would ya?
Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2013 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to use it. Bought it from someone who had never used it. Paid $60 for it! Guy has to get lucky at least once buying parts.
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2013 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Grantman:

Now all you'll need is a custom-made "Fiero 3.4L" decal atop the intake manifold of your Fiero's 3.4L engine swap.

At one time, a gentleman by the user name of "Mailmule" made a black one for me, and did a commendably good job of it.

It very much looks "factory stock" atop an unengraved 2.8L intake manifold on a a 3.4L engine swap.

I've no idea if Mailmule still produces such custom-made "Fiero 3.4L" decals for unengraved Fiero intake manifolds, but for your purposes, that might well be worthwhile checking out further. He struck me as a good guy who produced quality work.
Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2013 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this is what I wanted to do but the fellow who use to engrave plenums isn't anymore and everyone around here wanted way too much.

But I did buy a decal for the bumper from FieroSails, Paul McKibben, which a lot more people will see. I know Paul could do a 3.4 decal for the plenum if I decided to go that route.

Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know I'm slow. finally at a point to put the motor back in. no hurry on this and as we all know you decide to replace this and that while the motor is out so it takes longer.

Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update. Finally got around to see if it will start this morning. had to bypass the Neutral safety switch so I'll be looking for one of those.
FIRED UP ALMOST AT THE TURN OF THE KEY!! Is there a better feeling than having something all apart putting it together and having it start on the first turn??? Especially for somone who hasn't had a car engine apart in decades. Granted after running for 15-20 minutes at 2,000 rpm to break in the new cam the coolant light was starting to come on and when I let it idle it was idling too fast but heh those things can be taken care of.
still need to hook up the brake cables and put in a new NS switch and adjust the shifter, the cable is too long the way it is right now.
------------------
1986 Fiero GT Fastback
1979 Naked Honda Goldwing

[This message has been edited by Grantman (edited 08-04-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay