Installnig an LED flasher questions by 2.5
Started on: 04-12-2013 10:32 AM
Replies: 15 (1205 views)
Last post by: tshark on 03-15-2014 12:29 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2013 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When one installs LED tailights or blinkers, you need an LED flasher to sense the resistance change right? On a Fiero do you just find the factory flasher and replace it with one for LEDS? Do you place one LED flasher in line to front blinkers and or inline to rear blinkers? (Totalling 2 per car?) (4 per car?)
Do you need both?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 04-12-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2013 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For example this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400....l2649#ht_3248wt_958

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 04-12-2013).]

mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2013 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just don't forget to change the blinker fluid to the LED type.

------------------
--Jeff aka mrfred8
- 88 Yellow GT
- 86 Silver SE (3800 in progress)
Fieros For Sale

LT188GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2013 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A link to the proper fluid.
http://kalecoauto.com/index...ath=9&products_id=22

Originally posted by mrfred8:

Just don't forget to change the blinker fluid to the LED type.

yellowstone

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2013 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LT188GT:

http://kalecoauto.com/index...ath=9&products_id=22

Awesome site!
LT188GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2013 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And what did you buy from them??

Originally posted by yellowstone:

Awesome site!

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2013 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And what did you buy from them??

You guessed it: http://kalecoauto.com/index...ath=6&products_id=10
NoMoreRicers

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2013 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the great tips guys. I just maxed out one of my credit cards on that website. I didn't realize how many great parts they had! You guys are a great source of reliable information!
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2013 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A link to the proper fluid.

DO NOT use that fluid! Spend the extra cash and good a brand name product that you can trust. A good friend of mine's sister's father tried that blinker fluid last year and it ruined his car! Just a couple days after using it, every blinker on the car stopped working. Pep Boys quoted him like $680 to flush the entire turn signal system, to get it all working again. To this day, he has to manually flip the turn signal lever continuously up and down to signal that he is making a turn.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 04-13-2013).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-13-2013 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys for ignoring an otherwise reasonable question, and attempting to run the thread into the ground with nonsensical replies and a bunch of links to an irrelevant site.

2.5, a quick search in forum and archives led me to this https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...020825-2-021241.html thread which seems to provide the best info. Yes, you do need to change the flasher to an electronic variable load unit. Any local parts store should have one you could use to replace the thermal load unit in the Fiero. Some are also adjustable to change the blink rate. You may also need to replace the 3rd brake light bulb as it can cause a bad ground, it seems.
J Gunsett

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2013 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have selected the correct flasher if you are going to use LEDs. Here is how I installed my LED bulbs front and rear, hope it helps.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~jgunsett/LED.html

Jack
PFF
System Bot
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2013 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll kind of go off of what Dobey has said above, but add that if you go to your local parts store and they do not know what you are talking about (since we know that can happen quite frequently) go to the "ricer" parts section of the store. Since the import crowd is heavily invested in electronic adjustable flashers, these are now usually stocked in those portions of the store since they're so frequently accessed. If you go into your local Pep Boys (if you have one) or Autozone you'll see this.

This is if you're not wanting to wait on buying something off of eBay.
CheshireGrin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2013 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CheshireGrinSend a Private Message to CheshireGrinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not sure if its the cheapest you will find but here is a link to the one from TLG
http://www.tlg-auto.com/Fie...le_p/fieroled026.htm
Best of luck
Ryan
J Gunsett

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2013 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have LEDs in your turn/parking and brake lights the TLG flasher will not work unless you install the load resistors. I did not want to install the load resistors so I used the LED flasher the 2.5 calls out from Ebay. But the TLG flasher does work well as the Emergency 4 way flasher.

Jack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. So one flasher replacing the stock one ill take care of it, it seems.
It would be nice to have it adjustable speed if I can find one.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If anyone is interested, I may have found a solution. I had purchased the LED switchback from TLG, and had the dim indicators when the parking lights were on. I tried both the flasher from TLG and the flasher shown above from both summit racing and another place. TLG recommended using ballast resistors. Summit racing recommended diodes on the hot wire for each indicator in the dash. I hadn't done either of those things, but I did check for bad grounds and for issues with the third brake light. Last night, I installed LED side markers and an LED 3rd brake light. Suddenly, the issue with the dim indicators is resolved. As part of the process, I did have to fix the RR marker plug to get that LED to work, so that may have been the issue, dead bulb.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock