Project Hayleys Comet: The revival of a 86 gt by jetsnvettes2000
Started on: 03-16-2013 05:42 PM
Replies: 11 (720 views)
Last post by: jetsnvettes2000 on 10-11-2015 02:07 PM
jetsnvettes2000

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2013 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today 86soon3.4 and I picked up this little fella and brought it back to my house were it will be living from now on. I am going to fix it up a bit and give it to my daughter in 3 years when she turns 16.

It is a black over silver 86 gt

Here are some pics:

both books

Awesome rims

And the best parts :

Perfect tail lights

Perfect sail windows

Issues and other details:

Blown engine-------have replacement low mile engine in the parts car that came with this one I just need to get it home yet so yeah, two cars for the price of one.

Wipers pump motor comes on with door bell switch in pic above----easy fix

Bumper brace passenger side rusted out-----have replacement

Bad steering wheel--------need to find one if the one in the parts car sucks

needs 2 new front tires, dry rotted

Big issue but I can fix needs upper frame rails usual Fiero rot and trunk corner. HOW DO I GET THE REAR CLIP OFF WITHOUT REMOVING THE SAIL WINDOWS?????

clear crap on the top of car, it's black ill just sand and blend and re clear.

the drivers seat has a very small tear in the bolster I think I can just sew it and it will be perfect.

all in all not bad 2 cars for 1200 bucks

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dburger

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-16-2013 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DburgerSend a Private Message to DburgerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cool!
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2013 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anybody know if there is a thread showing the removal of the fastback clip without removing the sail windows? they are so perfect i would hate to break them. I know there are the studs under them that go into the pillar and the ones in the roof, I remember them from when I did the choptop but when I did that car the sail windows were broken out. I looked threw the archives and founds lots of ya I have done it but no this is how I did it.
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2013 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here's my baby, good luck restoring it and getting it running
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetsnvettes2000:
Does anybody know if there is a thread showing the removal of the fastback clip without removing the sail windows? they are so perfect i would hate to break them. I know there are the studs under them that go into the pillar and the ones in the roof, I remember them from when I did the choptop but when I did that car the sail windows were broken out. I looked threw the archives and founds lots of ya I have done it but no this is how I did it.

I unfortunately found much the same, initially.

For that reason, I left for you a photocopy of pages 6-1 through 6-11 (the "Rear Quarters" section) of GM's 1986 Pontiac Fiero Service Manual. As I'd mentioned in my call, that section is short on "tips", but long on "exploded" illustrations of the locations for various rear clip fasteners, some of which hopefully will be helpful to you.

More recently, I've located posts within two different threads on this forum which seem to underscore your trepidation about removing perfectly good quarter windows from a GT's rear clip.

However, these posts also provide some suggestions for either removing a fastback clip without removing its quarter windows, or removing a fastback clip with removing its quarter windows --- but in each case, doing so while not breaking those quarter windows:

• WITHOUT Removing Its Quarter Windows
    "I took off at least two fast back clips without taking off the Q windows. Taking off the Q window is almost a death sentance for the Q window. I found that taking off the inner trim from the rear first and working my way to the front/top by pushing down and in (towords the center of the car) seems to work best, and no tools needed to pry them off. No the Q pannels do not need to come off eather. You need to take off the side molding to get to the rivets under the molding(the half round black side moulding) There are two black aluminum rivets that hold the sides of the clip to the car and two plastic rivets that hold the Q pannels to the clip. Drill out the aluminum rivets with all the others, and the whole rear clip will come off in one piece, clip, Q windows and Q pannels."

Source: Rickady88GT's post within the archived thread, "Help me remove the Fastback clip!!!" ( https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...040223-2-041861.html )

• WITH Removing Its Quarter Windows
    '...has anyone removed the quarter windows from a fastback section without breaking them?"

"I have. Pulled out a set on an 86. I used a very small diamiter wire and cut it out. You use the same procedure as pulling a windshield."

Source: Response by Electrathon to question raised by whadeduck in the archived thread, "Bodywork Fix" ( https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-2-070022.html )
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again Allen! As you saw the car is in awesome shape besides the upper rear frame rails, I am going to try my best to remove the rear clip and document the hell out of it as I do so there are clear directions all in one thread with pics. I hope to have the fixes all done within a few weeks of starting them possibly within days. After all you guys on here know how fast I work once I get my head into the game. I cant wait to get this quick side project done and then paint up the car all nice and purdy for my daughter. I have many projects yet this summer including finishing the front end project for my chop and the 3 corvettes.
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2013 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks again Allen! As you saw the car is in awesome shape besides the upper rear frame rails, I am going to try my best to remove the rear clip and document the hell out of it as I do so there are clear directions all in one thread with pics.

You're welcome, Rob!

But hey, since one month ago, we've not heard boo from you regarding your "Hayley's Comet" project.

What's up with your "Hayley's Comet" project now?
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2013 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've just checked my brother's 86GT of which we have the sail windows removed. There are no fasteners underneath the sail windows that hold the clip on. BUT, there are strips of application tape that hold the window to a part of the body that doesn't remove with the clip and windows. You can see the remnants of the application tape in this picture.
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2013 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

I've just checked my brother's 86GT of which we have the sail windows removed. There are no fasteners underneath the sail windows that hold the clip on. BUT, there are strips of application tape that hold the window to a part of the body that doesn't remove with the clip and windows. You can see the remnants of the application tape in this picture.

Actually, that piece is attached to the rear clip, found that out when I did the chop on my 87. I think I figured out how to deal with the sail windows, after closer inspection they are basically almost falling off anyway so I can get a piano wire under them and remove them nice and safe.

Alan, I have not had a chance to work on the ol girl due to the nasty weather we have been having but, yesterday Steve and Chris came over and we got the parts car here so I now have the replacement engine here and ready I just need to remove it from the car and put it into the gt.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2013 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Actually, that piece is attached to the rear clip, found that out when I did the chop on my 87.

I didn't see any fasteners on his that attached it and it seems to move independently of the main clip body. Having it as a part of the clip strengthens that area for removal with windows attached.

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2013 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

I didn't see any fasteners on his that attached it and it seems to move independently of the main clip body. Having it as a part of the clip strengthens that area for removal with windows attached.

Right above your finger in your pic is the stud that goes into the b pillar that attaches the front of the rear clip to the frame, I think in my build tread someplace for the chop you can see how that center piece is apart of the rear clip, it is bonded not bolted or cliped into place and is not independent.
PFF
System Bot
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2015 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With newly rebuilt engine and other fixes this car is for sale. My daughter wants a truck so make me a offer of trade. 2,500 is what i put into it and loosing cash but she wants a truck so away it goes....

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock