Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Possible 16 inch OEM style aluminum rims (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Possible 16 inch OEM style aluminum rims by Rodney
Started on: 06-19-2012 08:57 AM
Replies: 66 (6520 views)
Last post by: Mickey_Moose on 03-06-2017 01:41 PM
RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2012 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

Only picture I have for now.

I know you don't want to hear it but that in a 17' would be pretty cool. Nothing but tiny cars use a 16 inch rim anymore.

[This message has been edited by RACE (edited 06-21-2012).]

IP: Logged
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2012 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know that they already make mesh 18 wheels in 5x100 in staggered fitments?

Condition: Brand New
Model: BBS Oldschool Mesh Style
Quantity: 4 wheels (1Set) Stagger Look
Wheel Size: Front 18 x 8 / Rear 18 x 8
Wheel finish: Matte Silver
Bolt Pattern: 5 x 100
Wheel Offset: Front +35 / Rear +35
Lip Size: Front 2" / Rear 3"
Please confirm fitment before purchasing
The lip size on the image will vary depending on the size of the wheel. (Not all wheels have the same size lip)

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2012 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its all about price point I suppose, you'd have to be very competitive.

Also would you offer custom color centers, or maybe they'd come bare- paint yourself, or maybe polished center "lace" area.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post06-21-2012 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

You know that they already make mesh 18 wheels in 5x100 in staggered fitments?

Condition: Brand New
Model: BBS Oldschool Mesh Style
Quantity: 4 wheels (1Set) Stagger Look
Wheel Size: Front 18 x 8 / Rear 18 x 8
Wheel finish: Matte Silver
Bolt Pattern: 5 x 100
Wheel Offset: Front +35 / Rear +35
Lip Size: Front 2" / Rear 3"
Please confirm fitment before purchasing
The lip size on the image will vary depending on the size of the wheel. (Not all wheels have the same size lip)

and yet no link
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2012 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not looking to make custom aftermarket rims in 17" or larger. I'm looking to make a rim that looks OEM and is slightly larger. 16" is the only size I would consider.

That's the same wavelength I'm on. I'd like to update the look subtly - if I wanted an immediately-noticeable difference, I'd buy a set of whatever custom wheels struck my fancy. I appreciate the stock look and fitment.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2012 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looks like the stock Pontiac 16 Trans Am GTA rims. I had them on my 89 TA GTA. I love those rims on other cars too, I put a set on a 79 Grand Am and they looked great. Similar to the Grand Nationals.

Rob
The Aura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2012 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you think they look close enough to stock to just put on the rear?
Staggered fitment with stock 15" on front (be you 88 or 84-87) and these 16" on the rear.
That way only one size would be needed.

[This message has been edited by The Aura (edited 06-22-2012).]

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2012 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Convert to 5x4.75" bolt pattern and you can mount the 16" 89/90 GT wheels...which were just Firebird wheels...

I'm running 16x8 Camaro wheels....255/55/16

George P Wood

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2012 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for George P WoodSend a Private Message to George P WoodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the idea. I have an 88 and have been shopping for stock looking rims that are 16" or 17".
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to add my log to the fire, I too would consider the 'upgrade', but as usual, cost and which offsets would be offered come into play - I personally would prefer the 88 pattern.

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 16" wheel will do fine if the price can be kept in line and that is Rodneys intent.

I spoke years ago to the Goodyear engineer that did the testing for the Fiero tire and wheel package and while the larger wheels may fill the wheel well better they found that the 205-55-16 and rear 225-50-16 were optimum for performance and and ride. Any thing larger lacked in other areas. He had a set of the prototype plastic 16" Fiero wheels on his 85 GT Pontiac gave him. I wish I knew were they were now.

For a stock style wheel the 16 will do fine as few people going to a 17-18 will want to look stock anyways.
PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had 16" wheels on my first daily driver - not an actual pic of my car - photoshop courtesy of 85SEnochie.

I was happy with the look and ride. I don't want to pay for a harsher ride so 17's are out for me. A stock looking 16" wheel would be something I would consider. Also on my list of possibles would be a BMW look wheel. I'm working on an '85 with stock suspension but a planned upgrade to '88 cradle.
------------------
Jonathan
23K mile '85 notchie w/ 88 cradle, '87 2.8/Getrag, Air, PW, PDL, PM - Still under construction
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121056.html
I'm not a mechanic but I play one in my garage - me
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely - Lord Acton
Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not - Thomas Jefferson
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants - Thomas Jefferson

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 06-24-2012).]

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
id vote for either 38 or 42 MM offsets, but if possible, like people stated before, just make the mounting surface of the rim to hub an extra 5-7MM thicker, and then they can be milled down to different offsets, but you have to bear in mind, that if you add too much to the mounting surface, longer lug studs would be needed.

*IF* i could afford new 16" rims for my two fiero's they would be on them right now, i have 18x7.5" rims on one fiero right now, and 17x7.5" rims on the other, i hate the ride of the lower profile tires, my 88 is lowered to make up for the 225/45/18's in front and 235/50/18's in rear (i have coilovers)

matthew
jaybeezi

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2012 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates on this?
urbex

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2012 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for urbexClick Here to visit urbex's HomePageSend a Private Message to urbexEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:
hardly.. tomany older cars on the road... including the imports..

True, but with a caveat - fewer and fewer "performance" tires available on 15s, and as other's have said, this holds true for 16s as well. I went through this recently looking for tires for my '96 Z28 with factory 16" wheels...finding drag tires (drag radials and slicks) are still plentiful, as well as tires like the BFG Radial T/A (and the cheaper generic brands in the same catagory), but trying to find something in the ultra high performance summer tires...choices getting slimmer and slimmer every year. I wanted G-Force KD, what's called the G-Force Sport now, and there is a total of ONE size in a 16" which was way too small for the Camaro, but would likely be OK for a stock Fiero. Nothing at all in the 15s. Same story with the G-Force KDW - not a single 15, and the 16s go to a max of a 225 width (stock Camaro was 245).

If you want meatier tires, you're looking at 17s minimum. This is even the case in off road/truck tires...17s are the new standard now, just like 14s were in the 60s/70s, 15s in the 80s, 16s in the 90s/2000s. If I want stock tires for my 14s on my 1960-whatever muscle car, sure, I can find them no problem. If I want any kind of performance tire, I'll be changing wheels whether I want to or not.

Sure, I agree, a 16" lace wheel would look damn good on the Fiero, and I wish Pontiac would have gone with 16s factory on the GT/Formulas....heck, if they would have gone to a 5x4.75 pattern factory, they could have used the 16" lace wheel straight off the Firebird GTA, or the Buick Grand Nationals.

But if I'm paying normal retail for new wheels, I'm buying something that I know I'll find tires to fit for years to come, and that means 17s now.
Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2012 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would there be the possibility of an all chrome / silver honeycomb style with the 16" fabrication?
SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2012 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is one that is 16" and on the early 90's Grand Ams. It is a nice alternative to the Indy wheels and look close to stock. Rick B

http://www.bing.com/images/...1866839851F9823541D5
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2013 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw these at power tour yesterday. They look great in person.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2013 06:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What I would give for repro 16" Hi-Techs in Fiero stud pattern and offset...
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates on this, Rodney?

Still hopeful.

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com

1988 Fiero Formula - Automoda convertible
repainted PPG Ferrari 'Giallo Modena' yellow

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LZeitgeist:

Any updates on this, Rodney?

Still hopeful.

I gave upon this. Too many said 16" was a waste of my time and I'm not really interested in 17" or larger. My interest was to provide a rim that was larger but still proportional to the car and factory 15" OEM rims.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LZeitgeist:

I'd love to have 16" OEM-style wheels on my '88 Formula. However, I'd personally only consider it if all the specs for the front and rear wheels matched the factory specs (except for the larger diameter). 2 different offsets, 2 different lip dimensions, just like stock. However, as has been said, there are a lot more pre-'88 Fieros out there than there are '88s, so even going with a single style should still be profitable.

In that we're talking about a stock looking wheel, I'd agree that stock specs are the way to go. If I was going that direction, this would interest me.

I'm not looking to make custom aftermarket rims in 17" or larger. I'm looking to make a rim that looks OEM and is slightly larger. 16" is the only size I would consider.

For my personal taste, I totally agree with Rodney on this. But, I know the trend is toward the larger diameter wheels. You won't see anything bigger that 16" on mine unless there is absolutely no other choice. Guess I just don't appreciate the look. I also don't like the ride those bigger wheels give to the vehicle and passengers. Let's face it, tires are part of the suspension, shorter sidewalls tend to transmit more road irregularities to the vehicle and folks inside. While I do understand these aren't limos, they still don't need a harsher ride. Generally speaking, large wheels = a harsher ride. Besides looking a little silly IMO, larger wheels are harder on suspension and steering components.

------------------
Ron
Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
C4 Corvettes had a different front and rear wheel for a number of years. One company that makes aftermarket OEM ZR1 Replica wheels, made a one size fits all and sold thousands of sets. I had them on both my C4s. They looked great. One of the pluses is people that like to rotate tires...can. I never rotate tires. I just buy 2 at a time when needed that way...and I always put the new 2 on the front steering wheels.
Erwin03

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2017 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Erwin03Click Here to visit Erwin03's HomePageSend a Private Message to Erwin03Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
how about BMW style 5 wheels? they are 16 inch.. or old wheels from bbs for mercedes? they would need adapters but they will match the oem look I think..
Or the meshwheels from jaguar, also 16"..
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2017 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know this is an old thread, but I installed some VOXX Monzas on my 85 SE V6, and they look great; 16 x 7 with 38mm offset...I then switched out the rear subframe for an 88....still looks great! Also, the steering is better- less kick-back....The tire companies make the two sizes I use because Mustangs used them for quite a few years, and the Lexus SC300 & 400 used the other size; 205/55 x 16 and 225/55 x 16. Although you can't get the extreme summer tires, there are a couple of max performance summer and quite a few all-season tires up to the extreme all-season. I like that my tires are slightly taller and fill the wheel wells better(Lowered approx 1") and, on a positive note, my (215/60 x 15) GT tire speed sensor makes the speedo exactly on the mark.

I think a 16 x 7 / 38-40mm offset would work for all cars....I'd post a pic but this site doesn't allow ME to.....

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2017 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

Why not just make two wheels. One for all rear's and then two diff for the fronts (84-87, 88).

Uh Rob that sounds like three to me.

Taste is a person thing. I would have to see what a one size solution looks like on the front of an 88 to decide.

Who is your target audience? I assume it's the enthusiast who is willing to pay for an upgraded wheel, (probably because they have upgraded brakes) and they want a stock like appearance. I think that sounds more like an 88 person to me. I don't mind the front wheels sticking out because we are stuck with that on aftermarket anyway.

I know spacers suck but could we use a higher offset wheels and spacers on the back?

Oh crap I just noticed this was a zombie thread... Nevermind.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 03-04-2017).]

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2017 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Uh Rob that sounds like three to me.

Taste is a person thing. I would have to see what a one size solution looks like on the front of an 88 to decide.

Who is your target audience? I assume it's the enthusiast who is willing to pay for an upgraded wheel, (probably because they have upgraded brakes) and they want a stock like appearance. I think that sounds more like an 88 person to me. I don't mind the front wheels sticking out because we are stuck with that on aftermarket anyway.

I know spacers suck but could we use a higher offset wheels and spacers on the back?

Oh crap I just noticed this was a zombie thread... Nevermind.

I have seen 88 wheels on a 86 and they were not too bad - not ideal, but better then having the earlier wheels on a 88.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock