Started on: 06-12-2012 09:42 AM
Replies: 94 (6905 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 12-24-2015 11:54 AM
datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2012 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaymelk2:

[ ... snip ... ]
I don't think my x frame is doing much other than losing ground clearance which I want.
[ ... snip ... ]

That's what I was saying before.. the only thing good about that X frame that Chester got stuck with (and it was Chester's idea to being with not B&B) was to cap off the ends with A&N fittings and use them as coolant tubes (which actually works pretty well).

The rat has a lot of potential.. With the proper car and attention to detail, I'm positive that you can turn it back around into the way it was supposed to be, if not more.. wishing you the best of luck!

IP: Logged
jaymelk2

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2012 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My God...as much like a wet noodle as it is now I'd hate to think how it would be if they had just cut the top loose.

------------------
87 GT...SBC...Fast as hell

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My God...as much like a wet noodle as it is now I'd hate to think how it would be if they had just cut the top loose.

It must have had a terrible kind of 4-wheel-steering with the chassis twisting around while driving with a powerful V8 in there...

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-19-2012).]

jaymelk2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I'm done with her I plan on it feeling like it's carved from a block of steel.

------------------

datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2012 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

It must have had a terrible kind of 4-wheel-steering with the chassis twisting around while driving with a powerful V8 in there...

AFAIK, Chester never had the rat on the road under it's own power since he got it back from B&B... other than from the trailer to the garage I mean.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2012 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Any new pics ?
85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2012 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Have you consider welding a new roof back on the car ?
jaymelk2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2012 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For about two seconds I did...but I like a challenge!

------------------

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

For about two seconds I did...but I like a challenge!

"Challenges" usually end up costing big money.

It's OK if you went in knowing this, it's annoying when it bites you in the rear as a "surprise" !!!

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-22-2012).]

jaymelk2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was a challenge building my v8 car for 2300 too....but I got it done even though I was told I never could

------------------

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It was a challenge building my v8 car for 2300 too....but I got it done even though I was told I never could

Sorry, I must have missed that thread. Good luck with this one too!

PFF
System Bot
jaymelk2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2012 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry Sound...that was before Pennock days...I made some good buys...and am pretty handy with tools...car with a 372 hp 383 ran me right at 2300 when I was done...my only troubles to date are axles.
Thanks for the luck! I'll probably need it!!

------------------

jaymelk2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2012 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the Rat pulled apart the past few days. Checked out the rust...not too bad, and started scoping out where the chassis reinforcements will be going. Here are some update pics for all to see

------------------

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2012 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here are some update pics for all to see

hhummmmm

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

hhummmmm

Pretty oversized sig you have Danyel

jaymelk2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay...getting ready to throw this thing out the window. Can't seem to get PIP to work right. Exotisce, I'm gonna send them to you.

------------------

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No problem, fire away !
jaymelk2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2012 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Little update on The Rat...Got 1/4 inch gusset plated burned in ala Archie. Flex went from 11/16 from full compression to droop to just a hair over 1/8. Also there is almost no twisting flex now either.
Car is very stiff now but I still plan on adding a couple more plates...stay tuned for Rat updates...coming to a forum near you!

------------------
87 GT....SBC...fast as hell...
Proud new owner of....THE DIRTY RAT

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2012 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Little update on The Rat...Got 1/4 inch gusset plated burned in ala Archie. Flex went from 11/16 from full compression to droop to just a hair over 1/8. Also there is almost no twisting flex now either.
Car is very stiff now but I still plan on adding a couple more plates...stay tuned for Rat updates...coming to a forum near you!

It was that much? With the weight of the power-train in the car, was it even possible to open/close the doors?

You do have it in a jig of some type to hold the chassis in the place you WANT it to be for stiffening it up don't you?
You certainly don't want to weld everything up only to find you have your dimensions off. Tolerances are +/- 3mm

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-29-2012).]

jaymelk2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2012 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes Fierosound I made a rack to hold it straight and square while welding the frame. When testing for flex I slipped my engine and tranny combo in her...put 320 pounds of concrete in the floor and raised it at the rear of the cradle...this is what I call compression...then I raised it just under rear of door and put 160 of crete in trunk to see how far it opened. It was just under 11/16. Now all I have is an 1/8 even when I stand in the car also and bounce...pretty good no? Twisting is almost non existant.
I'm going to add more plates under the door just for kicks and I'm welding 16 gauge sheet in between the rails on the sides...gonna start on cleanup of the bay...she's getting smoothed and paint like my last one, plus I'm doing a double firewall for heat and sound as I wished I'd done on my other.
Will be one hell of a car when done...hoping to make Daytona with it next year...I guess we'll see on that.

------------------

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2012 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you have it well under control.

Any pics of your progress so far?
PFF
System Bot
jaymelk2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2012 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just an update for all. The Rat has a smooth and shiny engine bay now...no connectors to show anymore. I've finished reinforcement for now, since last time I added 1/4 plates in front of doors also. Shes coming together..I want to be at the 30th

------------------

jaymelk2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2012 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was a pretty good weekend...spent sunday installing sound deadening in the front of the car...a note to all...home depot sells a butyl based peea and seal that works great...lot cheaper than dynamat also. Stay tuned...the 30th is coming

------------------

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2012 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pictures ???
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2012 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
E-mail sent.

Nelson
jaymelk2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2012 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have sent pics of some of the rust I started with and a pic of my 383 which I'm sliding into the Rat to exoticse. I'll be sending more of the update stuff in the next day or so....thanx all for being patient.

------------------

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have sent pics of some of the rust I started with and a pic of my 383 which I'm sliding into the Rat to exoticse. I'll be sending more of the update stuff in the next day or so....thanx all for being patient.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 11-07-2012).]

jaymelk2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks so much exoticse...I'll send some more updated ones in a day or two.
Jay

------------------

jaymelk2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had some time for the girl this weekend...pulled and repainted all the front subframe and underhood stuff....replacing brake lines and cleaning the whole front end up...when I'm finished there won't be more than a dozen bolts on her that I haven't pulled. Still shooting for the 30th in Indy. Will be updating with more pics in day or two

------------------

jaymelk2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2013 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To all who wonder......every....EVERY bolt on the Rat has been removed...cleaned.....polished....painted . I came up with...i must say myself, ingenious idea for the targa top and am presently working on body mods. When finished the car will be truly in a league of its' own.....stay tuned.
sabooo

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2013 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for saboooSend a Private Message to saboooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really pleased to hear you're still working on this project. This is one of those cars that is part of the lore of the forum. Thanks for keeping at it.
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2013 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of these days I need to make a trip to Lousiville to check out your progress. Last time I saw the car was when I picked up the MERA that was at Rob's and the 383 that was in the Dirty Rat.
jaymelk2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2013 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anytime guru....I'm in shelbyville...only about 25 miles from Chester. Did you ever get my pm about the mirrors you wanted? I still have them. The Rat is turning into what it always should have been. I'm shaving trim right now and doing a few other mods I'lldiscuss later. Thanks for the interest...I'll try to update more.

------------------

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Anytime guru....I'm in shelbyville...only about 25 miles from Chester. Did you ever get my pm about the mirrors you wanted? I still have them. The Rat is turning into what it always should have been. I'm shaving trim right now and doing a few other mods I'lldiscuss later. Thanks for the interest...I'll try to update more.

That's even better, only 57 miles from me!

I am good on the side mirrors, purchased an 86 GT parts car that had some good ones.
jaymelk2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well folks....at some point this weekend I'm going to pass two milestones...today I topped the 4000 mark building the car. Sometime this weekend I'll also top 1300 hours of labor on it. It's been a long road but I think I see the end coming.

------------------

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am really excited to see this one come back.

Sounds like you have done a loooooooooooot of work. Congratulations and continued good luck in getting her back on the road.

I think we are all anxiouis to see the new pics.
chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 06:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So where are the updates?? Dying to see it....

Rob D.
chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 06:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

chester

4063 posts
Member since Jun 2001
I've heard some local rumors floating around Jay... PM me...
jaymelk2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey rob...sent a pm, don't think it went through...will try to call you this week. I've done many many things to the old girl. Honestly it seems like most here have lost interest in old school stuff except for a couple people who I also need to pm...sorry exot and guru...I've been a little busy. But the rat is looking more bad a** every day.

------------------

Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2013 05:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not so much lose interest as forget that there's things happening when not prompted often

Good to hear that the rat is still being tended to.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock