Got another one! by hercimer01
Started on: 03-27-2012 07:13 PM
Replies: 78 (4684 views)
Last post by: jediperk on 07-07-2014 08:14 AM
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2013 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yay!!

I got the remote start to work fully today. I tapped into the door ajar light for a hood pin input to the control box. The car wouldn't start. With the key on and all the doors closed, the light stays out. when the key is off a ground shows up on the door ajar light wire not allowing the remote start to work. I cut the hood pin wire to the remote and it works fine now. I will have to actually have to install the crappy hood pin they sent with the kit. I do this for a living on aircraft so and it wasn't even that easy for me.

Now I have the lighter interior door panels, power locks and power windows, I have the light grey console too. Eventually I will paint the plastic trim around the door to match.The windows are tinted and I picked up some light dove grey head liner at a fabric store. Thats next while I have it apart.

Also i put in a stock EQ Delco radio. Sounds nice.

IP: Logged
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2013 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I removed the head liner backer board. I have never been able to get the material to stick right in the past. So this time I put a layer of glass cloth down and gobbed on the resin. I trimmed it with a razer knife while it was still a little pliable so it would be easier to clean up with my die grinder.

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2013 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The board cleaned up and roughed up.

And then the head liner glued in. I used Dap Contact glue applied with a roller to both the board and the fabric. I applied the glue twice to each surface.

I'm, changing the interior color. I plan on using SEM interior paint on the plastic. I will need new visors.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 02-17-2013).]

exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2013 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I love threads like this.

Great job !

Man those door panels (page 1) cleaned up nice. Can i ask what you used to clean them ??
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks!

I used Clorox clean up with bleach. It got rid of the smoke resin build up on the plastic too and the car smells cleaner. I still need to clean the carpets and seats.

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2013 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been driving the car a-lot. Man it's been running good (knock on wood)
The remote start works perfect and the key-less entry is awesome.

I wasn't sure how it would do in the snow so I drove it to work on a snow day.
I busted out a few snow drifts, I really didn't think it would do as well as it did.
I'm happy.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced the turn signal stalk because the cruise didn't work. I got one at o'reillys for 40 bucks in the help section.

Also I fixed the headlites today.

The dowel pegs disintegrated.

I happened to have a piece of nylon dowel laying around and cut it to length on my bandsaw.

Ta-Da
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
This car is a 3 speed auto 2.5L

Drove it till it ran out of gas the other day. Fortunately I was 1/2 a block away from the gas station headed down hill so I coasted it in. When I filled it up, it took 9.9 gallons and I had driven 238 miles 24 MPG. This car is an automatic and the gas tank is from an 87. I drive it at 70 to 72 MPH 30 miles each way to work.

Something doesn't sound right here or does it?

Edit: 3-27-13
I drove it 200 miles round trip all highway miles. I drove 67 MPH and went 206 miles with 6.6 miles for 31 MPG

Edit: 6-1-13
Been driving it daily to work. With the 3 speed its been getting 28 MPG at around 72 MPH.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 06-01-2013).]

jaybug56

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybug56Send a Private Message to jaybug56Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hercimer01:

Edit: 6-1-13
Been driving it daily to work. With the 3 speed its been getting 28 MPG at around 72 MPH.

I think I saw you drivin' it the other day. Don't see many Fieros around here

Jay
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got some 16s on it.

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
Shes a goner! The timing gear went out on it.
I'm probably just going to fix it. I have a four speed auto i might put in it while i have it apart.
PFF
System Bot
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'll never take them out through the top again! That was a pain in the butt!
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hercimer01:

I'll never take them out through the top again! That was a pain in the butt!

Gona be even more fun putting it back in...... don't ask me how I know

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2013 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Progress. I drilled the old gear with two holes and tapped them out to 1/4 20. Then I used a steering wheel puller to remove it. I drilled the camshaft with a 5/16 drill bit then tapped it out to 3/8 16 and pushed the new gear on with a nut and bolt.
I'm redoing the gaskets too. The valve cover gasket was shrunk and hard as a rock.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2013 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
Gona be even more fun putting it back in...... don't ask me how I know

I am going to try and drop the cradle depending on what shape the bolts are in. I pulled it thru the top to keep it portable for now.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was as bad as I thought. Both rear cradle bolts were rusted loose. The front left was seized up, I had to snap the bolt head and nut off. Now I have to get that out. I spent all Labor day weekend trying to get the cradle out.

Now I gotta figure out how to get this out,
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Going back together. Those cradle bolts were a booger!
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2013 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back on the road! Runs like a champ, and, I think I got all the oil leaks fixed too!
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I spoke too soon. I had to take the motor and trans back out this time the right way cuz the cradle bolts were all in working order now. I found the valve cover was warped on the corners and the pushrod cover needed to be redone also. I've put a mountain of work into htis car, but for the gas mileage,I'll work on it all day!
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2013 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have put about a thousand or so miles on it since I pulled the engine for the second time.
Absolutely no oil leaks now.

Now it has a check engine lite every once in a while when i'm idling on warm up or at a long stop lite.
And my gas MPG is 21 now @ 72 MPH highway. It was around 26 or 27.
I haven't checked the code yet but I will.
Anyone have any Ideas?
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2013 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
I cleaned the IAT sensor with MAF cleaner no change.
PFF
System Bot
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What was your code?

------------------
My Car
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/121571.html#p0

FieroJimmy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2013 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJimmySend a Private Message to FieroJimmyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the code only comes on after idling for a minute or longer, it's probably a high or low idle code.

What does the car idle at? If it's above 1000 rpm and the ecm can't get it down with the IAC valve it'll throw a code. There could be vacuum leaks at the throttle body or intake manifold gaskets, vacuum lines, etc.

You'll need to pull the code to even know where to start, though.

I just noticed the fuel economy drop, it could be leaking fuel past the injector, into the throttle body. At idle that could cause it to throw a rich code (44 or 45, one is rich, one lean, I can't remember which). When not idling there may be enough airflow to bring the mixture back into the acceptable range, turning the code back off, but still driving economy down.

[This message has been edited by FieroJimmy (edited 11-23-2013).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 03:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been working 12hr work shifts lately. Sleeping if I'm not working. I just been to busy to check it.

I started it up tonight after work and it was really cold, It almost sounded like it was running on three cylinders.
Could it run seemingly OK if the plug wires were on wrong?
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 03:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
I have a remote start in it now. When I start it it idles high above 1K RPM and drops down under 1K when it warms up.The SES light doesn't always come on.

Before, when the SES light was coming on, at idle when the car seemed to be struggling to stay running. It was dropping from 800 down to around 600 and I would have to goose it a little to keep it running.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 04:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
I will be able to check the codes tomorrow and the plug wires.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
Code 44 => Lean exhaust, O2 measured too low
I did have the intake off, but left the throttle body on.

This is the code.

I will look at the intake bolts and wires next.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 11-24-2013).]

FieroJimmy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJimmySend a Private Message to FieroJimmyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lean exhaust that sets at idle is just about guaranteed to be a vacuum leak. A fuel related issue would likely cause drivability problems while cruising.

I'd check all the hoses and gaskets first.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I replaced the intake manifold gasket with a new one and actually torqued it. I didn't do that when I had it apart before. I haven't gotten a code yet but I've only driven it three miles.
I also replaced the AC compressor with a bypass pulley. it was starting to squeal.

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2014 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put about 60 miles on it, half city and half highway.
The SES light didn't come on but my mileage is 22MPG still.

It could probably use some new plugs and wires I know for sure. I don't think that could effect my MPG that much could it?

It does idle rough.

Could the O2 sensor be bad sensing lean, causing my MPG to go down?
FieroJimmy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2014 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJimmySend a Private Message to FieroJimmyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's possible the o2 sensor could be bad, there could also be exhaust leaks. The manifold could be cracked where the #1 and #4 runners connect to the main downpipe, or the intermediate pipe flange might not be sealing properly. If there is a leak in the exhaust iy will suck in raw air and make the sensor read lean. The pligs could be partially fouled from running rich while you had the vacuum leak at the intake.
PFF
System Bot
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2014 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced the O2 sensor, spark plugs, wires and thermostat. I took it for a 29.5 mile ride and used only .95 gallons of gas. That is over 31 MPG.

I did notice a hairline crack where the #4 runner welded to the downpipe. I will have to keep an eye on it.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I filled it up today. back to 21 MPG.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2014 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a low mileage series III yesterday. I think a 3800 swap is on the horizon. Also I bought a sunroof and panel for it too.
I'll probably take the series II out of my other car and put it in this one.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Meanwhile.

I found a small crack in the exhaust manifold, I mean small. Hairline! I thought no, really. But yes, that was it.
I went to the local LKQ and they had one 1989 Chevy Celebrity with a Tech4 in in. The manifold is an exact fit.
My gas mileage is now back to 28 MPG @ 70MPH highway w/an automatic.

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sold
jediperk

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on the sale!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock