Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Fox Valley Fieros do a sneaky overhaul! (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Fox Valley Fieros do a sneaky overhaul! by jetsnvettes2000
Started on: 09-02-2011 12:08 AM
Replies: 62 (2280 views)
Last post by: project34 on 12-05-2014 06:02 PM
jetsnvettes2000

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2012 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much is the glow paint a gallon tommy? Id like to try the white on the chop I think for something to play with.
IP: Logged
86fierofun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2012 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetsnvettes2000:

Hmmmm i think we put new mounts in? not sure I forgot! lol When your ready for paint I will drive down and help mark get it done.

Ok, one looks new, the other does not. I suppose I can just change that one. And your help would be greatly appreciated! It would occur on a Saturday, sometime soon.
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2012 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

86fierofun

3650 posts
Member since Aug 2004

How much is the glow paint a gallon tommy? Id like to try the white on the chop I think for something to play with.

No clue. lol. looks like a british site. It would be pretty cool though eh? especially on your car! Dang.... this just got added to my future fiero build...

Edit: i just saw the color I linked is called red. That looks orange to me. Is my monitor wonky? Or am I? :P

Edit 2: http://www.riskreactor.com/...ategory_Code=GPO1GAL
these guys have a lot of glow in the dark paint. 250 a gallon ish. not bad...

[This message has been edited by 86fierofun (edited 10-13-2012).]

Oosky

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2012 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OoskySend a Private Message to OoskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
glowing paint?? is that legal? haha thatd be sweet to see a glowing car xD
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2012 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86fierofun:

Ok, this color is EXACTLY what I would want, if only it were the actual color instead of a phosphorescent glow. Though the glow stuff is pretty cool, I wont lie.
http://www.stardustcolors.c...nt-paint-orange.html

Edit: i just saw the color I linked is called red. That looks orange to me. Is my monitor wonky? Or am I? :P

On my monitor, as on yours, 86fierofun, the color you referenced also doesn't look red --- even though the paint vendor twice labeled it "red" in the photo he provided!

However, if you look closely at the wording in the link itself for accessing that photo, that link's wording has the word "orange" in it --- but not "red".

All things considered, I therefore conclude that neither you nor your monitor are wonky, but that the paint vendor most likely is.
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2012 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oosky:

glowing paint?? is that legal? haha thatd be sweet to see a glowing car xD

Probably not. Lol. I think I may have to try it though for accents. On which car yet I don't know...
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2012 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

86fierofun

3650 posts
Member since Aug 2004

Originally posted by project34:

On my monitor, as on yours, 86fierofun, the color you referenced also doesn't look red --- even though the paint vendor twice labeled it "red" in the photo he provided!

However, if you look closely at the wording in the link itself for accessing that photo, that link's wording has the word "orange" in it --- but not "red".

All things considered, I therefore conclude that neither you nor your monitor are wonky, but that the paint vendor most likely is.

Phew! Glad it wasn't me

Project34, what is your preference between the orange and the blue? I want to keep the bumper pads black (gloss black), and I still can't decide in my mind which color choice would work better with a bumper pad car...
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2012 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did some asking of a few cop friends and their is no law against a glowing car. As long as it is not blinding it kinda falls into the grey area of accent lighting like when a semi is lit up like a Christmas tree SO, we could paint the whole car in glow paint if wanted. I think it would be cool to do it and put el rope in all the body seams would look tron like then
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2012 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Project34, what is your preference between the orange and the blue? I want to keep the bumper pads black (gloss black), and I still can't decide in my mind which color choice would work better with a bumper pad car...

86fierofun, in regard to your question I've quoted immediately above, given only those two color choices you'd pictured earlier, I'd favor the latter.

That said, I nonetheless much more favor bright red on my own Fiero, and on some other two-seaters as well. This is evidenced quite nicely by the fact that, years ago, I had my old, formerly silver Corvette repainted a bright red --- the same bright red as the factory bright red on my '86 Fiero GT --- something which likely would have many or all of the more anal-retentive Corvette purists among us desperately searching for some Ex-Lax and for some defibrillators.

Despite my readily-admitted bias toward bright red for most two-seaters, I still might be able to help you out with your upcoming color choice decision, based on some things I learned when having to do some color research I'd once conducted at work:

People's most popular color preferences very often are product-specific, or even product-model-specific. Very often, people require pictures to be able to express their product color preferences well, but sometimes they don't. If one doesn't believe the latter, I suggest trying to visualize yourself wolfing down some perfectly fresh steaks or fish that just happen to be a bright neon green. (I think most people wouldn't need a picture to decide what they think of eating bright neon green steaks or fish.)

I'd add that while fine for hearses, and periodically extolled by various so-called "professional" color experts as "coming back", I predict black won't be regarded anytime soon by most people as appropriate for perfectly fresh bananas or oranges --- nor will a bright, blood-red color (such as that which I favor on most two-seaters) be regarded anytime soon as a perfectly fine color for most people's new and unused tampons, or toilet paper, or Kleenex.

In regard to cars in particular, and given the lines of its Mafia-staff-car design, the first-generation (2005-2010) Chrysler 300C four-door sedan, to me looks best in solid black --- not in my otherwise favorite, bright red color for most two-door, two-seaters. Said differently, I think the 300C's design lines are conducive to the car being painted solid black.

In a similar vein, and just as further food for thought, I'd think that the design lines of your "bumper-pad" Fiero notchie would lend themselves much more nicely to a distinctive, two-tone paint job than would an "aero-nose" Fiero because the beltline of "bumper-pad" Fieros --- unlike that of an "aero-nose" Fiero like mine --- extends around the car fully, thus providing a natural dividing line for a two-tone paint job. Accordingly, it should be much less of a challenge to get a two-tone paint job to look right on your "bumper-pad" Fiero notchie than it would on an "aero-nose" Fiero like mine.

Consider, for example, that because of its own unique design lines that were conducive to a two-tone paint job, the Plymouth Prowler was able to pull that off with its year 2000, relatively rare (only 151 produced for sale), "Woodward Edition" (black lower body with red pinstriping at its uppermost section, and a "Prowler Red" upper body).

Closer to home, and regardless of mine or anyone else's personal color preferences, I think SuperchargedV6 did a stellar job with a two-tone paintjob on his bumper pad notchie. (Check out the picture that currently appears under his user name in his posts on this forum.)

Finally, as further food for thought, you may want to consider the following:

1. Log on to Google.
  2. Click on "Images".
  3. Type into the search box, "bumper pad Fiero".
  4. Hit the "Enter" key.
Although that somewhat surprisingly also yields a number of "aero-nose" Fieros, that nonetheless is how I eventually ran across this photo, which makes me feel better about my self-admitted bias toward bright red Fieros:

I hope you've found my post helpful, 86fierofun, and good luck to you on your repaint project!
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2012 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did some asking of a few cop friends and their is no law against a glowing car. As long as it is not blinding it kinda falls into the grey area of accent lighting like when a semi is lit up like a Christmas tree SO, we could paint the whole car in glow paint if wanted. I think it would be cool to do it and put el rope in all the body seams would look tron like then

Yes. YES. YEEEESSSSS! TRON FIERO!!!! Hahahaha!!!!! You know the a-team paint job that I talked about? I want to do that on an aero notchie. THIS future car would get the tron treatment. It so will. In time... some day... it will

project34, thank you for that post! That's exactly the comments I'm looking for I appreciate your like for the bright red color. That is what it originally was, and I must say is a very fine color. I saw often at my old job an 84 with an absolutely perfect red paint job. It does look nice, that's for sure. However, when I go to say the Dells show, there is almost a never ending supply of red fieros, which makes me want to go with something different. Which also leads me away from the orange (been done) and toward the light blue, even though orange is my favorite color. I have only briefly thought of a two tone paint job, but your mention of it does make me ponder the option again. What colors to use, i don't know, but I do know it would be a darker bottom with a bright top half. Hmmmm....

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes. YES. YEEEESSSSS! TRON FIERO!!!! Hahahaha!!!!! You know the a-team paint job that I talked about? I want to do that on an aero notchie. THIS future car would get the tron treatment. It so will. In time... some day... it will

project34, thank you for that post! That's exactly the comments I'm looking for I appreciate your like for the bright red color. That is what it originally was, and I must say is a very fine color. I saw often at my old job an 84 with an absolutely perfect red paint job. It does look nice, that's for sure. However, when I go to say the Dells show, there is almost a never ending supply of red fieros, which makes me want to go with something different. Which also leads me away from the orange (been done) and toward the light blue, even though orange is my favorite color. I have only briefly thought of a two tone paint job, but your mention of it does make me ponder the option again. What colors to use, i don't know, but I do know it would be a darker bottom with a bright top half. Hmmmm....

Tommy, I am floggin my brain to point of melting it trying to figure out the lights for the car, I went to radio shack and they were as useless as tits on a bull helping me figure out what I need to do the lights. Help!!!!
PFF
System Bot
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tommy, I am floggin my brain to point of melting it trying to figure out the lights for the car, I went to radio shack and they were as useless as tits on a bull helping me figure out what I need to do the lights. Help!!!!

Right, lol. I was going to get you a schematic. I'll look back at my links and find the led's I suggested. Then I'll put together a schematic for you. I'll work on it during the week and I can get you a complete parts list. Radio Shack wont be much help to you. Most can't tell me what parts they have in their bins. And usually, they cost more than getting something from digikey.com with shipping.
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FYI I am in the final hours of finally opening my shop if all goes well, Tomorrow I am meeting with a person for leasing a shop from and I will be ready for business if all goes well. I will be needing to make at least 2 grand a month to keep the rent paid so I will have to charge for work at the shop. Send me business!! I will have capabilities to do cars and anything else! garage doors, whatever! long as it makes me money!!! my only goal is to make enough to keep the place open so we have a base of operations for Fox Valley Fieros. I plan on getting lifts in the shop and it already has a paint booth. My business name has been hard to choose but I think I am going to call it Fox Valley coatings and restoration.
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet! I will certainly spread the word! My next fiero will get tron-a-fied at your shop. You can charge me plenty for it :P
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...when I go to say the Dells show, there is almost a never ending supply of red fieros, which makes me want to go with something different. Which also leads me away from the orange (been done) and toward the light blue, even though orange is my favorite color....

86fierofun, I've seen pictures of orange Fieros before, but as far as I know, orange never was a regular GM production color for Fieros. Therefore, if you're not that enamored of painting your Fiero orange, even though you say it's your favorite color, you presumably want some color that is very, very different. To that end, painting the car "chrome" may have some appeal to you, because although I've seen a "chrome" car on TV (possibly painted by West Coast Customs?), I've never seen a "chrome" paintjob on a Fiero.

Nonetheless, although a "chrome" paintjob presumably would be great for blinding truly stupid tailgaters at night, its legality might be questionable for that very reason.

That brings me to the unusual "glow-in-the-dark" paint that you mentioned earlier in this thread. I've also never seen that on a Fiero, and a skilled attorney presumably could assert that "glow-in-the-dark" paint is actually a "safety feature": If a pedestrian accidentally gets hit at night by a "glow-in-the-dark" car, he arguably had to have been walking around in the dark with his eyes closed (akin to the recent case where somebody in Wisconsin was hit by a train as a result of his earbuds blasting music into his ears that was loud enough to prohibit him from hearing the train that hit him).

jetsnvettes2000, I think that your choptop Fiero --- covered in all-white, "glow-in-the-dark" paint --- would be greatly successful in scaring the hell out of trick-or-treaters (as well as their understandably anxious parents) next Halloween --- especially if you were dressed up in some sort of "ghost costume".

In all seriousness, I don't think that "glow-in-the-dark" paint is as nutty as it may first sound.

Accordingly, I say, "Go for it!"

However --- and in considerably less seriousness --- I envision at least three disadvantages with a white, unique, "glow-in-the-dark" paintjob on your choptop Fiero:

1. You can't ever let 86fierofun know about this because then, he'd only exclaim in total despair, "Phooey; it's already been done!"

2. You can't ever successfully rob banks at night again with your Fiero: Because of its white, glow-in-the-dark paint, the cops won't even need to ascertain your car's license plate number from an eyewitness, or from the hidden cameras of the bank you've robbed again. Instead, the cops easily will apprehend you by simply putting out a bulletin to apprehend that same evening anybody having a car with an all-white, "glow-in-the-dark" paintjob (the make, model, and license plate number of the car being totally irrelevant).

3. Instead of having to live with white-and-black "Fox Valley Fieros" stickers that match your car, we'll then all have to live with glow-in-the-dark white-and-black "Fox Valley Fieros" stickers that match your car.
All razzing aside, good luck to you with the start-up of your own business!
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love your replies project34!

While orange was not a factory color, it is a popular repaint color (after all, it is so cool! ) I like orange, but I also really like that blue on a car...

I would love a chrome paint job, but like you pointed out, I think the police may not like it as much as I do. That, and I am pretty bad with cleaning my cars, so it would look grimy very quickly. Now a chrome glow in the dark car... THAT would be eye catching!!
TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FYI I am in the final hours of finally opening my shop if all goes well, Tomorrow I am meeting with a person for leasing a shop from and I will be ready for business if all goes well. I will be needing to make at least 2 grand a month to keep the rent paid so I will have to charge for work at the shop. Send me business!! I will have capabilities to do cars and anything else! garage doors, whatever! long as it makes me money!!! my only goal is to make enough to keep the place open so we have a base of operations for Fox Valley Fieros. I plan on getting lifts in the shop and it already has a paint booth. My business name has been hard to choose but I think I am going to call it Fox Valley coatings and restoration.

AWESOME!!!!

A million congrats man! Glad to see your goals coming to life!

Cant wait to see it!

------------------

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found a shop but, it has some problems, it needs to be wired 3 phase and no booth. Ugh plus they want a year rent up front but it includes heat power and water. Anybody got a spare 14 grand laying around and want to invest??? Comes with free paint jobs for life helpin me get going!
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2012 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I love your replies project34!

Thanks for the compliment.

While orange was not a factory color, it is a popular repaint color (after all, it is so cool! ) !!

Because orange was never a factory color on Fieros, I frankly was a bit surprised to find any pictures of orange Fieros on the Internet, but yes, I did find more than I would have expected earlier.

I like orange, but I also really like that blue on a car..

Perhaps a question to ask yourself here is whether you are reacting primarily to that light blue, or are you reacting primarily to the design lines of the Z3 on which you mentioned you earlier saw that light blue?

I ask that question because while you fairly easily can change the color of a car, you cannot change as easily its overall design lines.

I'm normally not a big fan of two-tone paint jobs, but the design lines of bumper-pad notchies seem almost ideal candidates for two-tone paint jobs, because, as I'd said earlier, the beltlines of "bumper-pad" Fieros --- unlike those of an "aero-nose" Fiero like mine --- extend fully around the car, thus providing a natural dividing line for a two-tone paintjob.

I would love a chrome paint job, but like you pointed out, I think the police may not like it as much as I do. That, and I am pretty bad with cleaning my cars, so it would look grimy very quickly....

With the possible exceptions of road tar and some types of bug guts, chrome --- like various silvered colors --- actually doesn't display the street's detritus (e.g., dust, water spots, bird droppings, etc.) as well as very dark colors like black.

You may benefit by keeping that in mind if you give any further thought to a two-tone paintjob like the one you described earlier:

I have only briefly thought of a two tone paint job, but your mention of it does make me ponder the option again. What colors to use, i don't know, but I do know it would be a darker bottom with a bright top half. Hmmmm....

Here is a photo of a two-toned Fiero I excerpted from an archived thread ( https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-1-059318.html ) helpfully titled for search purposes, "Two-tone Fieros" (instead of something useless like "Help!"):

Just as further food for thought, you could change the darker color of that Fiero's lower half to the light metallic blue you like, and the upper half to some even lighter color, both of which should be relatively easy to keep clean (unlike black).

And no, given your desire for a unique paintjob, it appears to me that hasn't already been done before ( ), but as any halfway decent logician can attest, one also can't prove a negative statement like that one.

Whatever you end up deciding to do, 86fierofun, please post some pix for us after it's finished, OK?

Good luck to you on this!
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2013 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A spring bump (if it can be spring with snow on the ground...)

I took her for a drive yesterday. A short one. Considering how long she sat she ran beautifully! I have a new set of wheels for her, but got to the point of trying to get the lug nuts on when I realized not all lug nut outer diameters are created equal... I felt like a bit of a dummy for that one. Oh well, gives me more time to actually get new tires on the wheels instead of the bald tires that are on there.

Come on warm weather! I want to get the paint done!
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump! Hey Mark did Tommy finally decide on a color yet?????!!!!!!!!Get that thing painted!!!!!!!
PFF
System Bot
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the paint done yet!!!!! Mark get to work!!!!!!! Oh ya Bump!!
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2014 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
jetsnvettes2000, the last I heard, 86fierofun (a.k.a. "Tommy") had decided to forego any unusual paint job schemes in favor of an unusual engine set-up instead. Given his strong desire to have a Fiero different from anyone else's, that seemed to make sense, at least to him:

Later, when he was 99.9% finished with his complex, supposedly unique engine project --- needing only to somehow further screw up his Fiero in order to produce even more white exhaust smoke than that clearly visible in the above picture --- I advised him of something which, in retrospect, I probably shouldn't have.

I pointed out to him that the above picture actually was NOT that of his own Fiero, but that of someone else's Fiero, whose oddball engine set-up he'd somehow miraculously managed to duplicate --- inadvertently --- almost detail-for-detail.

With that comment on my part, 86fierofun started sobbing uncontrollably and inconsolably. He then curled up into a fetal position on the ground, while exclaiming in dismay, almost unintelligibly, but repeatedly, "No, no, that just can't be --- I thought my unusual engine set-up was unique --- in a way unlike what any unusual paint job scheme possibly could be!".

All good-natured razzing of you aside, 86fierofun, I hope this finds you well: We've not heard anything from you in quite some time.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock