red paint colors by shawnk
Started on: 05-29-2011 02:07 PM
Replies: 33 (2355 views)
Last post by: skitime on 12-11-2023 10:00 PM
shawnk

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2011 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkSend a Private Message to shawnkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First off yes I searched. I'm looking reprint my GT and want to keep it red. I will describe what I want in the color and see if anyone has a suggestion. I'm looking at a few bright reds but want a rich color not a flatter bright red like the fatory red. I was looking at torch red but anyone know of a rich and bright red.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
shawnk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2011 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkSend a Private Message to shawnkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The colors I'm tossing back and forth at the moment are:

Torch red
Viper red
Ferrari red
Victory red
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2011 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can also try Guards Red:
shawnk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2011 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkSend a Private Message to shawnkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

You can also try Guards Red:

that's nice, I like it.
sricka01

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2011 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm currently getting my 88 GT painted BMW Hellrot Red code 314. Sorry, the car isn't assembled yet but I did manage to take pics of the panels shortly after they were sprayed.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/085108.html

When I was searching and trying to decide the colors were starting to just run together in my mind and make me frustrated. Take a few days and pic out favorites from forum sites, Flickr, smugmug, etc.

Some color that I kept looking back on:
VW Flash Red
Toyota Radiant Red (Tacoma or Yaris)
Honda Milano Red (think Acura TSX)
Audi Brilliant rot LY3J/C8
BMW Hellrot 314 http://farm5.static.flickr....633_93a328f97f_b.jpg
sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2011 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sricka01

773 posts
Member since Jul 2008
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2011 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always liked the 1973 to 1975 Trans Am Buccaneer Red. It was more red than orange. The 1976 Trans Am Carousel Red had a lot more orange and also was an eye searing color.
mafv8

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2011 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mafv8Send a Private Message to mafv8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is my notchie in Viper Red

------------------
84SE, aero body, 4 speed and an injected 355 V8

kooljess

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2011 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kooljessSend a Private Message to kooljessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK here's my Red....

------------------

http://members.cardomain.com/koolflip

86_fiero_gt_92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86_fiero_gt_92Send a Private Message to 86_fiero_gt_92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

im pretty sure its called solid red from nissan
Pappy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PappySend a Private Message to PappyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I vote Viper Red

PFF
System Bot
fierogt27

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
May sound stupid, but ive always liked the PT cruiser torch red
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 04:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want to pick a color do it from a new car. Do not choose a color from a photo or a color chart it will look different in your driveway.
I can tell you my car looks between yellow gold and orange depending on the photos (normally gold), red will look between orange red and pink depending on the photo. Best pic your color from a car you see on the road then just look up the paint code.
Pearlmr2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pearlmr2Send a Private Message to Pearlmr2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wondering what type of wheels you have, brand/size - tire size...I have a 88 GT w/ T-Tops lowered about 1"....Paint looks really good I also like the polished rim look.
nice job !
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the Ferrari Corsa Rosa red and really looks good in person. The nice color contributed greatly to a Best Of Class at an ALL GM show in Silver Springs, FL.

Nelson
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a tip...viewing reds and oranges on a computer is hard for accurate rendering....They just dont photograph or show on screens accurately. To be sure about a color, find out what year and car the color is used on and find a real car before a final decision.

That said, this is my car that is 76 Mercedes Signal Red (#571) and Im almost sure its the same formula as Porsche Guards Red. Color names dont really mean anything. ie/ There is actually 3 differentViper Reds, several Torch Reds, and 7 Cadillac Whites.

mkiker2089

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mkiker2089Send a Private Message to mkiker2089Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would say go with the hot rodder classic of Firethorn Red. It's a little darker than most but it looks great in person

edit--

and as others have said the colors don't look accurate on a monitor. Reds are always duller than reality. Firethorn is a little lighter in person and shines in the sun.

[This message has been edited by mkiker2089 (edited 12-06-2012).]

jasonfox

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-07-2012 02:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jasonfoxSend a Private Message to jasonfoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Candy apple red

smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2012 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got "torch red" based off the shop chip book, it looked great in the book. Once painted, and in the sunlight, it looked too orange to me. I hated it and paid for a restray. I ended up getting the red off some Honda I'd seen, then had them deepen it a bit.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2012 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, even the chip books arent accurate. They are just printed on a printer and if settings arent perfect, they are off. I havent even bothered to pay for my chip books in years any more. They were just a waste of money. Now I just call in the code number, year and make. Then they tell if if its dark red, blue or whatever. Again, I give them make and year too. I always go by code number, but if you say Torch Red, it can be different between years. ie/ 1986 Pure White is not the same as 2005 Pure White, even on same make. Also if you go by names, they are different for different brands under the same make. ie/ Chevrolet will have Classic White and Cadillac will have Castillian White......and both are the same exact color.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 12-07-2012).]

jaybeezi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2012 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guards red is a little orange, a lot of reds are... Another to keep in mind is Flame Red

------------------
Jaybeezi's 3800SC Swap

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2012 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shawnk:

First off yes I searched. I'm looking reprint my GT and want to keep it red. I will describe what I want in the color and see if anyone has a suggestion. I'm looking at a few bright reds but want a rich color not a flatter bright red like the fatory red. I was looking at torch red but anyone know of a rich and bright red.

As others mentioned it's best to actually see the color on the car and not something that is in pictures. I was told that the "Victory Red" was one of thee brightest. I wasn't convinced until I saw the color on two recently painted cars. It was when I knew it was the color for me. I've also seen "reds" on various makes of cars one of which is the Madza. If you happened to see a color you like on a particular car-get the make and model and then head to the dealership and get the codes. Btw, "Victory red" was a bit too bright, so I had too tone it down a bit.

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 12-08-2012).]

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2012 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good info here.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089913.html

------------------
Jonathan
23K mile '85 notchie - Still under construction
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121056.html
I'm not a mechanic but I play one in my garage - me
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely - Lord Acton
Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not - Thomas Jefferson
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants - Thomas Jefferson

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2012 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the factory 88 bright red.

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo.
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project!

hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 04:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has any one tried International Harvester red?
I ask because Carquest has IH red enamel for 42.00 a gallon.
I'm thinking about doing my coupe with it.

I found the color match actually on some tractor restorations using Fiero bright red wa8774 on their tractors.
I also found these pics on the forum here. I don't think they are painted to match, just pics of opportunity.

------------------
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap
13.104 @ 101.45 MPH 3" exhaust, 3.4 pulley, ZZP tune and 18 year old tires.

88 Coupe under construction

CFR87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2023 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CFR87GTSend a Private Message to CFR87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently purchased a 1987 Fiero GT (Red - GM Color Code WA9077). There are some small chips that need touch-up paint. For those of you that are looking for a small amount of touch-up paint, try Testors Gloss Dark Red (1104-RM11041-0611). It is enamel paint and comes in the tiny 0.25 fl oz glass bottles that I remember from my model-building days. It is a very good match for my car. I would not use it for major spots, but instead for example the edge of my engine lid which was nicked by people carelessly taking the battery cover off.
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2023 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

GM "Victory Red" # AB9260 GM WA9260 Victory Red Basecoat/Clearcoat 1 Gallon Paint Kit Auto Car Truck Paint Kit

Lady across the street has an Impala painted this color and I investigated it when looking for a red to do the 308 kit, without having to pay for "Ferrari Red"....it is very "bright" in person.

HAGO!
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2023 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Speaking of reds. This is not a bright red, more of a burgundy. The new GMC Canyon is available with a red that is really nice looking in the sunlight. A neighbor down the street from me just got one of these trucks in this color and it looks very good.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2023 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a red that I like and used on one of my Meras.

It is Corso Rosa (or something similar)

Nelson
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2023 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Just a tip...viewing reds and oranges on a computer is hard for accurate rendering....They just dont photograph or show on screens accurately. To be sure about a color, find out what year and car the color is used on and find a real car before a final decision.

That said, this is my car that is 76 Mercedes Signal Red (#571) and Im almost sure its the same formula as Porsche Guards Red. Color names dont really mean anything. ie/ There is actually 3 differentViper Reds, several Torch Reds, and 7 Cadillac Whites.

^^^ THIS ^^^

anything else and you may be disappointed. Also what others like may not be exactly what you are looking for. Visit new car dealers and see what is there - another option is car shows, but the be prepared that some owners may not tell you what the color is specifically (or know if they bought the car like that).

Plan B would be to visit a paint shop and look through the books - however the chips are small and generally don't give a good perspective.
lateFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2023 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:
Plan B would be to visit a paint shop and look through the books - however the chips are small and generally don't give a good perspective.

If you do this, whether it be for paint or powdercoating of parts, go to the paint shop/powdercoating shop on a sunny day and look at the chips outside in the sunlight. Everything looks different in sunlight compared to any type of interior light in a building.

PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2023 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Victory Red. If properly applied and polished it is rich derp and has a glow about it.

It will make the Fiero red look like it is dull.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 11-28-2023).]

css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2023 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

+2

My Fiero is Medium Red Metallic and it is crazy how it photographs differently depending on which camera I use. My P&S renders it as more of a brown than either my real camera or my phone which make it much more reddish.

skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2023 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I painted my GT the factory OEM red. The original factory red turned a darker brownish red. People would actually argue with me that my Fiero was not painted the factory color. The new paints do not darken and remain bright. I would do it again.

------------------

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 INTERCOOLED SUPERCHARGED

Click here to read the History of Skitimes Car

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock