Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  JohnWPB 1986 GT Fastback worklog (Page 17)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
JohnWPB 1986 GT Fastback worklog by JohnWPB
Started on: 12-03-2010 12:28 AM
Replies: 648 (28123 views)
Last post by: JohnWPB on 06-01-2016 10:35 PM
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2016 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats man I am sure that must have been very satisfying to hear it roar to life! nice long weekend to tinker with it but it has been raining a good bit here. Good luck

Pete

------------------
"May the grins begin when you turn the key and hear the engine roar over your shoulder" ......Gall57 (slightly modified LOL)

Pete Matos
A&N Precision Machine
CNC Machining and prototyping
Port St.Lucie, Florida
A&N Precision Machine on Facebook!

IP: Logged

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2016 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

....so we ran another ground cable from the battery, to the engine cradle. Got everything all bolted up and tucked away, and the engine now cranks over as it should when the key is turned!

CONGRATS!
Vernon8360

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2016 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engine start, terrific milestone. KEYS! Very useful when you can find them.
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2016 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SWEETNESS MY FRIEND!

& the spoils of your Victory are close at hand!

Careful not to get too many tickets!
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2016 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, the car is almost ready to sit on all 4 again......

New calipers & pads, new hubs, new slotted drilled rotors, new struts, ball joints, tie rod ends, and stainless steel brake lines. That takes care of the rear for the most part!

In searching for a method of connecting the main radiator line, and "Teeing' in" the heater core line.... I found all sorts of methods. Some splicing hoses together, some using metal pipe fittings from Home Depot ect.

I went in the back of the parts counter to have a look at the selection of radiator hoses they had. SO many had "T's" in them, but just about all of them had the wrong size hoses, or the right size hoses, that flared out to a much larger hose at the "t".

It was then that I spotted this one on the top of the rack. PERFECT! Here is what it looks like when I purchased it:

After cutting off the clamps, here is what I was left with:
The angle of the heater hose connection is perfect! It will point it right in the direction it needs to go to connect to the hose coming from the car.

I purchased this at AutoZone locally, but the number should easily cross reference if anyone else needs one. HERE IT IS ON AMAZON

Lastly, the gas tank was pretty rusted on the inside... as the car has sat quite some time. I cleaned it the best I could with different chemicals, and let it dry a couple days. Today I put some POR-15 Gas tank sealer in the tank, swished it around, and have set it up to dry. A couple days ago, I went ahead and painted the outside of the tank to keep it from rusting.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 06-01-2016).]

TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2016 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't forget to sign and date it before re-installing!

Someone many years down the road would appreciate the find!
PatrickTRoof

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2016 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent work, John! Remember to get a video of the first "official" startup!
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2016 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

After cutting off the clamps, here is what I was left with:

Just saw this last week and found it very educational. If that pipe is plastic I would watch this:

http://www.motorweek.org/fe..._garage/clamps-hoses
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2016 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXOPIE:
Don't forget to sign and date it before re-installing!
Someone many years down the road would appreciate the find!

Too late........

Originally posted by PatrickTRoof:
Excellent work, John! Remember to get a video of the first "official" startup!

I plan on it! It's going to be tomorrow from what it is looking like now

Informative video Alex! I always thought those clamps were inferior, and replaced them when I could. Good information in there.

I am impressed with the POR-15 tank sealer! I poured 2 of the small cans in the tank, and duct taped the openings closed. I then danced around with the tank swirling, tilting, rolling, angling, rolling, twisting and probably some other moves for around 15 minutes. I wanted to make absolutely sure the interior was coated, and coated good. I poured out the remaining loose liquid as the instructions said.

I then hooked up my Shop-Vac with the hose connected to reverse, and blew it into the tank. The air coming out was warm and dry, and I let the puppy run like that for a few hours. That set it up where it is completely dry to the touch.

I shoved my phone down in the tank, and here is what it looks like on the inside. I WISH I had taken some photo's before, when it was all rusted! It was pretty bad. You can see the texture of the rust in the picture, but it is not completely covered by the sealant:

I am very happy and know that I will probably never have to worry about rust inside the tank again.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 06-01-2016).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock