What's up at West Coast Fiero by madcurl
Started on: 03-17-2010 10:08 PM
Replies: 253 (18614 views)
Last post by: unboundmo on 01-07-2014 02:17 AM
MountainHiBlue87GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Friends don't let good threads go by the wayside!

This is the blue car in the posts above.

Almost finished -Last major mods: Champion Alumium Radiator, Drive by Wire Cruise Control, 4T65E HD Tapshift Rebuilt with many hard parts and soft parts from Triple Edge, Tap Shift wiring, Wester's PCM programming for Tap Shift and performance, Snow Performance Boost Cooler, some chrome from Mad Curls chrome shop, stainless grill inspired by Madcurls recent work, and ?

Regards,

David

------------------
Bllue/Grey 1987 Fiero GT - 2006 3800 Series III Drive by Wire

IP: Logged
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I stopped by WCF today. The New York Fiero sounds sweet.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Originally posted by MountainHiBlue87GT:

Almost finished -Last major mods: Champion Alumium Radiator, Drive by Wire Cruise Control, 4T65E HD Tapshift Rebuilt with many hard parts and soft parts from Triple Edge, Tap Shift wiring, Wester's PCM programming for Tap Shift and performance, Snow Performance Boost Cooler, some chrome from Mad Curls chrome shop, stainless grill inspired by Madcurls recent work, and ?

Regards,

David

? is Troyboy. He's the person who turned me onto the grills.

nocuttt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nocutttSend a Private Message to nocutttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chris and Steve (Tennessee) are the beezwax...
Chris can I have ur baby? lol
MountainHiBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Curley:

Thanks for the pics of my car! I still have not actually seen it since the paintshop finished it!

Regards,

David
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Curley:

Thanks for the pics of my car! I still have not actually seen it since the paintshop finished it!

Regards,

David

No problem. I stopped by the chrome shop today. They're still not finished with your intake pipe. I wasn't happy with the finish so I asked them to re-due the pipe. The area that concerns me is were the two parts are welded together. These guys are scarred to grind it down so that the welds aren't too noticeable. If it's okay with you- well leave it as-is after the last treatment.

They might be able to get it down a bit more, but not too much. We'll see next week.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 04-15-2010).]

MountainHiBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Curley! The intake looks great to me!!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks Curley! The intake looks great to me!!

Roger that. It should be finished next week.

Trans cooler.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 04-15-2010).]

Fast Red

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fast RedSend a Private Message to Fast RedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Turbo 3800 with an isuzu behind it?

Scary..
MountainHiBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just found ot that my Westers tuned PCM was shipped to WCF, yesterday!!! Its for the blue car above.
PFF
System Bot
MountainHiBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 03:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tracking the PCM from Wester, its gonna be delivered en la mannna!!

[This message has been edited by MountainHiBlue87GT (edited 04-19-2010).]

MountainHiBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2010 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wester's tune arrived today and we shall soon see how a built Tapshift transmision with a 3.29 final drive ratio works vs a 2.92 non tapshift.
Fast Red

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2010 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fast RedSend a Private Message to Fast RedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is what happens to an olds aurora piston when boost is added

Build for a turbo engine as it happens coming soon
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fast Red:

WOW, nasty. Looking forward to the turbo build

Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 05:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I take it that that piston is from the turbo N* with the ITB setup, no?
Fast Red

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fast RedSend a Private Message to Fast RedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aurora block with new sleeves after the pistons damaged the sleeves

Ross lowered the rings on the piston and added more spaced between the 1 and 2 ring lands

Block with Eagle rods and custom Ross pistons with 9.0 compression.

MountainHiBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ouch!

Those new pistons and rods are way more substantial looking. Did you bore it or leave the sleeves stock?

Regards,

David

[This message has been edited by MountainHiBlue87GT (edited 04-23-2010).]

FordsNeverDie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2010 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FordsNeverDieClick Here to visit FordsNeverDie's HomePageSend a Private Message to FordsNeverDieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good guys! Too bad I couldn't have stuck around another few days.. Woulda been nice to hear the NY one run, and see the new block come in and go together...

CURLY: You are a butthead! Don't even say hi to me when you walk in WCF a couple weeks ago... I see how you are! What - just cuz I've never owned a Fiero means I'm not as good as you guys!? hahaha...

You guys having a BBQ this weekend or next, ain't you!? Or has that been cancelled!?

--- Goobz!
MountainHiBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any pics from Saturdays barbeque?
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fast Red:

How much boost?

Bob

PFF
System Bot
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RCR:

How much boost?

Bob

Too much.
Fast Red

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fast RedSend a Private Message to Fast RedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This piston damage was done by detonation very light detonation with no boost.
I called Shelby as they used this engine in the cobra 1 and talked to their manager in charge of development. As we talked about the problem with the pistons they also experienced the same problem. He asked if we burned the first two on the driver side I replied we burned the first three on the driver side and the third in the passenger side. He also mentioned that the fuel mixture was very critical as any detonation will crack the weak pistons even on the nominally aspirated engines. On the Shelby 1 supercharged engine they changed the rods and pistons. The problem was salved with new forged pistons.
kooljess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2010 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kooljessSend a Private Message to kooljessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry we missed the BBQ......hoping to see you guys sooner than later.

------------------

http://members.cardomain.com/koolflip

whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2010 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
give the old pistons up as offerings to the speed gods for a better outcome on the new ones
Fast Red

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2010 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fast RedSend a Private Message to Fast RedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ross pistons installed in the Aurora engine

Ls4 alternator mount under construction

Fast Red

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2010 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fast RedSend a Private Message to Fast RedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is view of the Tilton clutch with the aluminum flywheel

In this picture you can see the heat shield over the stainless steel headers to keep from frying the firewall

We are also using only three mounts, one on the left side and two on the right side

Fast Red

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fast RedSend a Private Message to Fast RedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

View of the right side with a Super T 70 turbo with a 3.5 in outlet. The AR ratio is .70 on the compressor
.84 on the turbine with wet floating bearings

View of the weber 47 mm Injector throttle bodies

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, Dean. I picked-up your package today. I dropped it off at WCF and Chris and Steve said it looked great. Sorry about the delay, but I had to work and the part wasn't completed until last Thursday and I was out of town.

I had the chrome shop rebuff the area, but since their adjoining pieces- a bit of the weld is still visible.

In other news; now that's sweet!

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 05-05-2010).]

pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HI all

The last pic posted above, are those the 13inch brembo package?

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines....
Enzo Ferrari...

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen....

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aaronkoch:

Turbo 3800 with an isuzu behind it?

Scary..

+ no intercooler, and a blow-off that isnt even needed = fail

Lots of fail, and ALOT more work than needed to be done.. all show no go, thats the fiero way!
PFF
System Bot
MountainHiBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Curley:

Thanks for getting my intake chromed! It looks great! Now Ihave some bling and I am afraid I need more.

Regards,

David

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2010 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Curley:

Thanks for getting my intake chromed! It looks great! Now Ihave some bling and I am afraid I need more.

Regards,

David

Your welcome.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2010 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Your welcome.

I still remember that car with it's last engine swap a few years ago. That 3.4 DOHC turbo sounded ANGRY as it passed me on HW 1
The new V8 is AWSOME.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2010 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is some great work being done at WCF it seems. Most projects look super but I came across the pic and I just wanted to ask: they don't really mount the 3800 PCMs here do they? The grills on my 3800SC run so hot that you can't even touch them. While a PCM can take some heat I would not locate them anywhere in a Fiero but in the cabin, either low behind the seat or in the console.

I consider this PCM mounting to be in a hostile environment of extreme heat and cold but I'm sure that someone will tell me that it works great.
------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 05-06-2010).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-06-2010 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
I consider this PCM mounting to be in a hostile environment of extreme heat and cold but I'm sure that someone will tell me that it works great.

Well how hot was the engine bay in the donor car at temperature? It's probably hotter in my S-10's engine bay with the 2.2l after it warms up, than it is in the Fiero bay; and the S-10 ECM is right behind the battery. I probably wouldn't mount it in that exact location anyway, for other reasons. I'd probably stick it near/under the battery or on the rear trunk wall; maybe inside the trunk if room was an issue.
MountainHiBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2010 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Folks:

WCF put my PCM in the stock Fiero location behind the console, where it rides in air conditioned comfort.

In this case, I think that it was placed where the owner wanted it. After all they have the final say. As a matter of fact everything about a WCF swap is up to the owner.

Also, the PCM was designed to reside in the engine compartment so this is nothing new for the PCM. I doubt that a Fiero engime compartment averages more degrees hot or cold than the engine compartment in the donor car in the same climate.

Regards,

David

[This message has been edited by MountainHiBlue87GT (edited 05-07-2010).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2010 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Folks:

WCF put my PCM in the stock Fiero location behind the console, where it rides in air conditioned comfort.

In this case, I think that it was placed where the owner wanted it. After all they have the final say. As a matter of fact everything about a WCF swap is up to the owner.

Also, the PCM was designed to reside in the engine compartment so this is nothing new for the PCM. I doubt that a Fiero engime compartment averages more degrees hot or cold than the engine compartment in the donor car in the same climate.

Regards,

David

My observation is not meant to berate the good work done at WCF. It is a quality house, make good stuff and they enjoy a good reputation. I just question the location of that one PCM installtion in the picture and I'll tell you why. While PCMs have been designed to run in the engine compartment under conditions of heat on many cars, I have never felt heat anywhere near as high as that on the grills in my 3800SC Fiero. After a hard summer runs or in traffic (where you get no air supply there) the grills are so hot that you can't even touch them. My fears could be unfounded but high heat and electronics are sometimes incompatible. Right or wrong I feel better with the PCM located in the Fiero cabin. I guess time will tell whether a PCM in the engine compartment of a Fiero will hold up or not. The only locations that I've seen used so far are cabin and trunk. Never seen one located in this location.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2010 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its not the first time I have seen and PCM in that location... here is another.

On my SBC swap, the passenger side engine vent would be 160 degrees after a short trip, but the driver side was barely over 100 so in regards to engine bay temps, that is probably the coolest area.

On the next swap in my blue fiero, I am going to try mounting the PCM in the engine bay too, just down low and out of sight and see what happens...

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 05-07-2010).]

nocuttt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2010 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nocutttSend a Private Message to nocutttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis customer truly has final say especially in this case...plus this area has been measured for heat in the past and as fieroguru has pointed out this area has minimal heat issue.

Darkhoorizon quit trolling we know u r the psuedoturbogod here, put things into perspective...when Chris first turbocharged his fiero you where still in diapers, when he turbocharged the FIRST 3800s2 you were probably still in diapers lol
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock