Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Who has the cleanest 3800SC Swap? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Who has the cleanest 3800SC Swap? by tomanyfieros
Started on: 12-01-2009 04:08 PM
Replies: 116 (6191 views)
Last post by: JCircs on 08-27-2014 01:38 PM
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2010 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just noticed every motor pictured has the emission caped off? Does that provide better performance or is it just to keep the clutter down? Also, does it effect the reliability of the motor (I know you would need to re flash the ECM)?

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 07-13-2010).]

IP: Logged
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2010 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:

That looks nice Guru!
Where did you mount the coil pack? and those must be custom wires...

I mount the coil down below on the firewall near the gas tank. As long as your ignition system is in proper order, there is no reason to worry about rain and arching wires. If your wires are shot, then yes, they are more likely to cause a misfire due to wetness. I'm very anal about my maintenance, so I don't ever worry about this.

Here is a quote in the last paragraph of this post from a swap I recently did about mounting the coils in that location...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/081274.html#p22

I've been sent a few pm's telling me that the coils will short out and wires will arch out when they get old.....well, maybe then they need to be replaced, eh?
Dave
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2011 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump...

No more 3800 swaps since 07/2010?
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2011 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 05-25-2011).]

hnthomps

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2011 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If this thread lasts that long, there will be another set of pictures starting in mid June.

Nelson
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2011 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

If this thread lasts that long, there will be another set of pictures starting in mid June.

Nelson

Mine is still a ways out also... Working on the wiring now and my OCD is getting the better of me...
G_Reaper

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2011 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for G_ReaperClick Here to visit G_Reaper's HomePageSend a Private Message to G_ReaperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine is FAR away. I've got the flywheel! ^_^

------------------
1987 Pontiac Fiero - dropped 2.5 inches - cold air intake - no cat - cherry bomb equipped
If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88MPH your gonna see some serious sh*t.

RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

in the car and running i love it !!
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is one of the cleanest L67 swaps I've seen. The only thing that I think wasn't perfect about it was the ignition wires, but the rest of the swap was immaculate. Don't know who's it is, only that it was at the 25th show. Absolutely beautiful.

Don't remember who's it is, but it is by far, the dirtiest I've ever seen.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Choptop #4

Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn that is looking good.... That engine bay looks clean and tight. I love how those motors look under the hood in these cars. Also easy to get to the plugs from what I hear. Any idea what color you are going with on the car? Congrats on a sweet fiero... peace

Pete

PFF
System Bot
RickN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ryan at Sinister Performance did an excellant job on mine. This is the second summer, the engine and transmission are running strong and are dry as a bone.

------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd (<10K miles)
White 85GT (SC3800 Series II w/ AOD)
White 99 F250SD 7.3PSD 6spd
1956 Ford 860 Tractor w/ Freeman Loader
20Ft H&H Tilt Bed Trailer (Remember - Gravity is not a tie-down)

rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As some of you may know, I am now the owner of skitime's 3800sc GT. It's probably about as sanitary as any swap I've ever seen, especially when you consider it was constructed nine years ago when this was not a very common engine swap. When I look at these more recent swaps, they are absolutely spectacular, but I can see many idea's that were carried over from skitime, even to this day. His method almost became the default procedure.

Today, I would have to say bmwguru Dave performs the most thought out, functional and reliable 3800 swap. He simply puts more thought into the harness, wire routing, location of the coil-pack and a thousand other details that are often glossed over.

[This message has been edited by rpro (edited 06-09-2012).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pete Matos:

Damn that is looking good.... That engine bay looks clean and tight. I love how those motors look under the hood in these cars. Also easy to get to the plugs from what I hear. Any idea what color you are going with on the car? Congrats on a sweet fiero... peace

Pete

Thanks Pete.

The car is currently getting a widebody installed, and it will be torch red.

Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sick man...Sick lookin' design. Cannot wait to see it!! Since it is getting done down in Atlanta and Deano is doing it, when it is near finished I may ride down there and see it in person. I am always up for a ride in a 3800SC sick Fiero... peace

Pete

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rpro:

I have to say that Skitime is on the few first that started the clean 3800 installs.....Unlike the rest of us he did it without alot of pictures, information, ect and did one hell of a job doing it....He set the bar high for others to follow which many of us have.......
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MstangsBware

11509 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

Looks like DarkHorizons car when I saw it at the 25th....
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MstangsBware

11509 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

Looks like DarkHorizons car when I saw it at the 25th....
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2011 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rpro:

Very nice!

I see an intercooler in there; but I do not see a deck-lid notch! How was that accomplished?
rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2011 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
P.O did an intricate job of modifying the hinge and relocated the mounting points on the decklid. It looks stock yet has almost a full inch of clearance. These are all part of the reasons skitime did such a nice job on his swap... a bit of a pioneer you might say.
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2012 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Car:

Customer's car:

PFF
System Bot
deezil

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2012 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is my Mike Gonzalez swapped 3800 into my 88 gt

seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2012 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PURPLE REIGN:

Definatly a dirty motor

Damn decklid is off showing dirty hinges

What kind of supercharger is this? Looks different than a stock 3800 SC
InTheLead

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2012 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:

What kind of supercharger is this? Looks different than a stock 3800 SC

eaton m112

[This message has been edited by InTheLead (edited 05-30-2012).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2012 05:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sabooo's swap:

Charlie's swap:

Michael's swap:

The Gerb's swap:

------------------

www.hausofguru.com

mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2012 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

Michael's swap:

I don't know what it is about this one, but I like it best
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2012 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

My Car:

I'll vote this one. Nice!!
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2012 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:

I don't know what it is about this one, but I like it best

No fair as that is NOT a supercharger.
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2012 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

No fair as that is NOT a supercharger.

But it started out as one.... Come to the dark side of the boost nosrac.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2012 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:

But it started out as one.... Come to the dark side of the boost nosrac.

When is the car going to be back at Tx so you can bring it to one of the larger shows? The Ruckus is coming up next.....
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2012 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw Jason's (Fierofreak00) in person at the Lititz show and I am very impressed by his builds.....top notch

Dave
PFF
System Bot
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2012 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

When is the car going to be back at Tx so you can bring it to one of the larger shows? The Ruckus is coming up next.....

It's running and driving, but it needs to be finished up (tuned etc). I'm hoping the end of summer for sure. I'll try to make it out to the next meet here in Houston and bring pics and such so everyone can see the progress.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2012 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

I saw Jason's (Fierofreak00) in person at the Lititz show and I am very impressed by his builds.....top notch

Dave

While I have only seen pictures I will agree.....Attention to detail over the whole swap...The air brushing pushed it over the top....Very nice work........
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can I vote for mine?

------------------
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap

88 Coupe under construction.

donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

My Car:

How did you get smooth valve covers for painting like that. Every 3800 I have seen had ribbed valve covers.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is my series III engine swap. Not the cleanest install but I think that it looks pretty decent.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by donnie072003:

How did you get smooth valve covers for painting like that. Every 3800 I have seen had ribbed valve covers.

I think he filled in the ribs and painted over it all.
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NOPE !! they are ZZP aluminum valve covers painted !!
here is mine finaly done ..
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some good looking engines here but I've got to say that the nicest looking 3800 supercharger that I saw was the one in Earl Sessions (lildevil) Fiero. I could never figure out how he got that blower so smooth looking and one day I met him at Carlisle and asked him. He told me that he blasted the case clean and then worked the surfaces with a coat of Bondo all over and smoothed it out. Then Earl sanded it smooth, primed and painted it. I thought the method was unorthodox but the end result looked great. Earl is a body and paint guy so I guess this is how he decided to approach his presentation.
If Earl reads this I hope that he will post a picture of his supercharger. He has an outstanding looking car and engine compartment,

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 06-05-2012).]

RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 05:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Some good looking engines here but I've got to say that the nicest looking 3800 supercharger that I saw was the one in Earl Sessions (lildevil) Fiero. I could never figure out how he got that blower so smooth looking and one day I met him at Carlisle and asked him. He told me that he blasted the case clean and then worked the surfaces with a coat of Bondo all over and smoothed it out. Then Earl sanded it smooth, primed and painted it. I thought the method was unorthodox but the end result looked great. Earl is a body and paint guy so I guess this is how he decided to approach his presentation.
If Earl reads this I hope that he will post a picture of his supercharger. He has an outstanding looking car and engine compartment,

I did the same porcess with my blower looked like polished aluminum before i started with eching primer and then paint lots of coats !

and the end result was super clean !
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock