dune buggy fiero? by pontiackid86
Started on: 04-18-2009 02:48 AM
Replies: 71 (7789 views)
Last post by: BrittB on 12-15-2013 07:11 PM
Hockaday

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Artworks...you don't happen to have a 300ZX do you?
IP: Logged
artworks

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fitting the body panels in place today.
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

artworks

159 posts
Member since Dec 2010
Nope, I don't have a Nissan - only American cars in my shop.
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't done any new build work lately but I've been busy collecting parts. I've solved the engine and trans controller problem. Cadillac Hot Rod Fabricators put me in touch with a guy selling a Holley Commander and trans controller he had in an 88 Fiero. It should work fine for my application, and solve a lot of brain damage problems. I've also been working on the rear spring/shock. I found an airbag coilover system I like from Universal Air - the bag goes over the shock and works in conjunction with the steel spring, so I get the best of both worlds - air lift and steel spring dependability. They're machining the bracket at Universal now; I should have it back in a week.

[This message has been edited by artworks (edited 03-22-2012).]

Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should start your own thread and document your progress. It might even make it to the construction zone!
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2011 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't done any work on the car lately, but I have been putting together a new coilover shock system for the rear.
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2011 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

artworks

159 posts
Member since Dec 2010
The coilover is a 9" bilstein (24" max extended length, 15" collapsed, 9" of travel) with a Universal Air coilover airbag and 300# per inch spring below the bag. I'll have adjustable ride height and quality - fully deflated and I'm on a stiff steel spring, fully inflated and I'm up to 5" higher and a stifff air and coil spring - normal ride height will be somewhere in the middle. I sure hope it works 'cause the bags are $400 each (plus the shocks and steel springs).
Flamberge

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2011 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by artworks:

Fitting the body panels in place today.

Is that a 62 Biscayne in the background?
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2011 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes it is - good eye! The photo was taken at my friend Gary's shop. The 62 is Cory's car - he's dropping a blown 3.8 V6 into it.
Flamberge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2011 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes it is - good eye! The photo was taken at my friend Gary's shop. The 62 is Cory's car - he's dropping a blown 3.8 V6 into it.

My best friend in high school had one he was restoring. VERY unique look to it.
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2011 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Correction - its a 61 Belair. This weekend Cory was redoing the dash while Gary and I were installiing the radiator.
PFF
System Bot
greenfiero1986

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2011 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greenfiero1986Send a Private Message to greenfiero1986Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are right about the Stinger looking cool, never seen that before. What a brilliant idea.
Flamberge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2011 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Correction - its a 61 Belair. This weekend Cory was redoing the dash while Gary and I were installiing the radiator.

Gah! Foiled again! I was close though. I bet it has four found lights in the back and not 6.
FieroDev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDevSend a Private Message to FieroDevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You ever think of deleting to door trim? looking at these body styles ive always noticed that the boor molding always throws the look off.
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2011 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You mean the horizontal line in the middle of the door? I'm planning to spray everything below that line with Line-X (the truck bed protectant). The stuff is bullet-proof and comes in my favorite color - black. The whole underside will be sprayed with Line-X. Above the waistline will be gloss black. The whole hood, roof and decklid are gloss. I'm not sure how to finish it at the back, but I'm sure something will come to me.
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New work

[This message has been edited by artworks (edited 04-03-2011).]

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

artworks

159 posts
Member since Dec 2010
The photos above show the rear suspension in place - note the subtle difference between these and the earlier photos - we had to re-fab the shock mounts so they would clear the spring perches. The top mount uses the original strut bolt holes, but there's a 1/4" plate instead of the old spring perch. The airbags clear just fine, and will give me 5" of forced articulation. The steel springs are 300 lb/inch coilovers for a stiff ride when the bags are full or empty. In between, the air will give a nice cushion. Man this stuff takes a long time!

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2012 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its been way too long since I've worked on the project. What can I say - life got in the way. Fortunately, I've recently gotten back at it.
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2012 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

artworks

159 posts
Member since Dec 2010
This is the fabricated upper motor mount - its the original Fiero mount cut apart with a new bar in between and a fabricated plate on the back of the motor.
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2012 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

artworks

159 posts
Member since Dec 2010
a couple of views of the radiator support and front bulkhead fabricated onto the original Fiero sheet metal. It doesn't look much like the original does it?
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2012 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

artworks

159 posts
Member since Dec 2010
Front shocks mounted! Notice the S10 brake calipers on the custom brackets, connected to the early Pinto spindles. The lower A arms started out as a part from HT motorsports and got tweaked from there. The upper A-arm is hot rod stock for chevy.

PFF
System Bot
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2012 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was able to get some work done on the car this weekend. These are the coolant lines that run under the car between the engine and radiator. They're fin tubes from a home boiler heating system with AN-20 fittings on each end. The radiator already has AN-20 bungs welded to it, and the northstar now has bungs welded on the coolant log and thermostat. Now I just need to order the braided lines to connect everything. This should provide enough cooling. I'll still need to install an aluminum skid plate to the bottom of the frame rails.

[This message has been edited by artworks (edited 03-19-2012).]

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2012 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow.

I hate to cause an echo, but you really should start a build thread. Not only would you most likely get your own spot in "The Construction Zone", which I always take as a spot of honor, but more people would know about this amazing build.

The only reason I haven't seen this thread in 3 years is because of the title and author. No offense, but PK in 2009 was almost painful to read. He's grown up a LOT since then. I don't think he's a bad guy, never did.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that missed this amazing, really amazing build because it doesn't have it's own thread.

Sorry PK, I hope you don't take this the wrong way bro.

Brad
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2012 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well thank you sir, I appreciate the compliment. I sent a note about a year ago, asking that my project be considered for the build zone but haven't had a response. You've motivated me to send a follow up.
timcha

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2012 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timchaSend a Private Message to timchaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a thought.....the clamps you are using to hold the radiator "pipes" will likely cause electrolysis if not insulated from the copper.
timcha

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2012 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timchaSend a Private Message to timchaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

timcha

741 posts
Member since Jun 2008
I would suggest purchasing insulated clamps from a refrigeration supply house. Otherwise, this build is FANTASTIC!. I have an 87 that I would like to do something similar with in the future.
gtxbullet

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2012 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thiis turning into a real one of a kind build!

I'm loving it!

keep the updates coming!!!

P.S. - you have got a great mind to put that suspension together as you have. Great Job!!!!
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2012 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. A great mind - hmmmm. I've been told sick before, but not great You're right about the pipe clamps - I was worried about that from the beginning. We had these clamps laying around. For final assembly they'll need to be insulated. Now if I can just get Lefthander Chassis to call me back with a price on the AN-20 hoses, I can tell my banker how much to make out the second mortgage for. That stuff is like $15/inch!
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2012 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've always wanted to build a JalapeƱo...

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project!

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2012 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did it! started a thread for the build. Thanks for the encouragement.
hairballrm

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2013 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hairballrmClick Here to visit hairballrm's HomePageSend a Private Message to hairballrmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is for sale near me and cheap.
Pontiac fiero batmobile trade $1500 - $1 (Amity, OR)

------------------
"Now you too can see in the dark."
http://projectorretrofit.com/ Please Like me on Facebook

PFF
System Bot
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hairballrm:

This is for sale near me and cheap.
Pontiac fiero batmobile trade $1500 - $1 (Amity, OR)

That's in my area and I saw it once, very rough and I didn't spend much time looking it over.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock