Started on: 04-18-2009 02:48 AM
Replies: 71 (7781 views)
Last post by: BrittB on 12-15-2013 07:11 PM
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2009 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been thinking about possabley getting another fiero when i finish or come close to finishing my fiero. what i want to do is make a dune buggy style fiero but make it look like a hybrid of a dune buggy and a sand rail. Im talking tube bumpers running boards lift it a few inches bigger tires roll cage. you know somthing you can take to the beach and have it look real rugged and cool. it wouldent be taken off road except for mabey on the beach. i dont want to do somthing like the sand shark or the jovato kit or whatever its called. I want to do somthing real nasty looking.?

Anyoe ever done one of have pics of any?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
BazookaFiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2009 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaFieroSend a Private Message to BazookaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You mean the jalepeno? Always thought it looked like a fun car

------------------

"Why is he wearing his knees outside of his legs?"

[This message has been edited by BazookaFiero (edited 04-18-2009).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-18-2009 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whatever happened to this one? I actually thought that it looked cool. I can see blasting down trails in this.

------------------

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2009 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Whatever happened to this one? I actually thought that it looked cool. I can see blasting down trails in this.

mine would be somthing like this but mine would have the door taken off and doors made out of metal tubing id probabley just use the hood the rear clip the roof and mabey the side skirts. it would be an open front wheel front with a set up like the plymoth prowler over the front wheels.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2009 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero is almost ideal as a dune buggy platform. The balance is near perfect and the traction in the back end is very good.

Sounds like a blast to build one. Especially if you mounted a 3800sc in it

Arn
CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2009 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Stinger looks cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oBg8C6PMYo

------------------
Red 1988 GT 5 speed
Poly all around, Koni's & Lowered
LQ1 powered

proff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2009 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CC Rider:

The Stinger looks cool

looks like alot of fun
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2009 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ever time I see a Fiero without the body panels, I think of the movie The Road Warrior. Plenty of sand buggys in that film.

You are right, it wold be fun to build!

------------------
Jay Brintnell
Southern Ontario Fiero Association and the Ontario Pontiac Club

Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival. - W. Edwards Deming

Rolling Thunder

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2009 03:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The Stinger looks cool

I'm sure all of those accessories would be an optional package. Though, it's a great attempt at making a very cool little car. If it's AWD, I wouldn't mind having one.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2009 05:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rolling Thunder:

I'm sure all of those accessories would be an optional package. Though, it's a great attempt at making a very cool little car. If it's AWD, I wouldn't mind having one.

The stinger might be alright if it didn't come with a load of crap you will lose or never use.
CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2009 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the load of crap because it would all be used if you took it camping or to the beach.

It's all about personal choice I guess
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2009 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shame to know we will never see that from pontiac. almost brought back the t tops ... its like i said why does GM kill all there good ideas and market all there bad ones.
FieroMatt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2009 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMattClick Here to visit FieroMatt's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroMattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That must be an old video from the 80's maybe? They mention a cassette deck. I don't think they have put cassettes in cars for at least 5 years.

Edit: found and article about it. http://www.highperformancep...c_stinger/index.html

[This message has been edited by FieroMatt (edited 05-21-2009).]

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2009 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The Stinger looks cool

An ice chest in the driver's door? What were they thinking?

But I kinda like all the gadgets. Not that anyone would ever actually use them. Fun to say you got 'em anyway. And the bags remind me of the old Fiero luggage.

Dash

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2009 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DashSend a Private Message to DashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
JALAPENO AND STINGER

DO WANT!!!

SANTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got one for you. Starting with an 87 GT, I'm building an off-roader that will have a Jalapeno body. I've welded 2"x4"x1/8" wall thickness tube steel under the chassis, effectively creating a 4" body lift. The front track has been widened 2" per side, and for the rear I've mounted a Cadillac Northstar 4.6L engine/trans. The front spindles and rotors from the Caddy will become the rear wheels, and I'm now fabricating the rear suspension - Macpherson struts are lame, so I'm going with a custom link suspension tied to the Caddy spindles (they're aluminum!). There are air bags on the front end, and coilover air bags for the rear. I've upgraded the Northstar cams with high-lift units from Cadillac Hot Rod Fabricators, with a proported 375 HP output - the stock engine was 300. In front (where the engine is "supposed" to go) there's an 8,000 LB winch with synthetic rope instead of cable - 86 lbs. I think of it as ballast. There's still a lot to be done on the car, but I'm expecting to have a rolling chassis this winter. Then its time for the body install, followed by fabricated roll bar and bumpers (aka air tanks). Then I need to take the whole thing apart for sandblasting and LineX undercoating. Its been 2 years so far, but I'm getting there.
17Car

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 17CarSend a Private Message to 17CarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like quite the project artworks, welcome to the forum!
Northstar? This sounds interesting.
Post some pictures if you can

------------------
* 97 Olds Cutlass DD
* 86 Mustang SVO Rear Ended, R.I.P (Sold)

* 86 Fiero GT, Soon to be Northstar

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

I have been thinking about possabley getting another fiero when i finish or come close to finishing my fiero. ....

Will gas still be available to purchase when this happens?

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I find it funny that it comes w/ TWO dust busters!

That car needs a Le Clic camera option:

and Phillips radio (dang, forget the model, but ti would SO fit that car)
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

I have been thinking about possabley getting another fiero when i finish or come close to finishing my fiero. what i want to do is make a dune buggy style fiero but make it look like a hybrid of a dune buggy and a sand rail. Im talking tube bumpers running boards lift it a few inches bigger tires roll cage. you know somthing you can take to the beach and have it look real rugged and cool. it wouldent be taken off road except for mabey on the beach. i dont want to do somthing like the sand shark or the jovato kit or whatever its called. I want to do somthing real nasty looking.?

Anyoe ever done one of have pics of any?

PK, you are slipping - maybe some of the "shine" has worn off since you picked up that Solstice but you referred to your Fiero as "when i finish or come close to finishing my fiero" and not "when i finish or come close to finishing my IMSA". If you IMSA realizes that you are messing with another 2 seater (Solstice) it's wrath will be endless! Better start picking up spare parts now!
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2010 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

The stinger might be alright if it didn't come with a load of crap you will lose or never use.

I was thinking the same thing. So much stuff to lose, and it all looked like cheap plastic crap.
PFF
System Bot
Spynx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2010 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpynxClick Here to visit Spynx's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpynxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That Stinger reminded me of another Pontiac concept I saw at an auto show a few years back....

http://www.autoworld.com/ne.../piranha-concept.asp

------------------

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2011 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I figured out how to do photos. Here's a few from last year.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2011 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by artworks:

<snip>

Impressive for your first two post. I definitely want to see more. My wish for Christmas is that you are not a troll.

Jim
pro street dave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2011 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pro street daveSend a Private Message to pro street daveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello SPYNX-HAPPY NEW YEAR.
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2011 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't know what a troll is, but I'm sure I'm not it. I'm a mid-life crisis hobbyist that wants to build a fun car to drive to work. If I ever get it done, I'll bring the thing to Iola and you can tell me if its worth the effort. I have more pictures from today that I'll post next.

I don't know if you can see it, the lower front control arms are HT Motorsprts, except they've been mounted with screw-in ball joints from a Chysler. The front spindles are early Ford Pinto - turns out they're the same height as Fiero. The good news here is that there are lots of after-market parts for Mustang/Pinto spindles, so the front brakes are 11" aftermarket for Mustang II (the hot rodders friend). The upper a-arms are aftermaket Mustang also. The air bags are from Universal air, with about 9" of articulation. Of course, the suspension only gives me about 7" of front movement, but I'm trying to keep the stock Fiero geometry (I'm not a rocket scientist).

Today we installed more of the rear suspension. Lots of pipe bending, all 1" DOM 1/8" wall, mated to 1/4" steel plates that bolt to the Cadillac spindles. The front of the "traction bar" is bolted to the frame with 5/8" chrome-moly heim joints. Caster is fixed by the track bars, and toe-in is adjustable by changing the spacing of the heim joint to the frame - two shear ponts for each bolt means adjusting spacing on both sides of the heim. Camber is adjusted with heim joints and a "swedge". Each rear axle is supported by a coilover unit, with airbag over the steel spring. I'm waiting for the bags to be delivered now, then I need to order the shocks and steel springs.
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2011 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

artworks

159 posts
Member since Dec 2010
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2011 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by artworks:

Interesting project.

I do think you are going to have a binding issue with your suspension travel. With the two links that connect to the upright going forward, as the suspension goes through its range of motion, the upright will rotate slightly. The issue is you still have the lower A-Arm installed which will want to prevent this slight rotation causing the suspension to bind.
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2011 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good observation, except that the lower arm won't bind, its a ball joint - the original from the Cadillac. As the suspension travels, it rotates about the front pivot point, slightly changing the caster. Since the spindle is pinned by the ball joint at the bottom, it will move back and forth a bit at the top. However, the ladder bar is about 28" long - this should translate into about 1" of total movement at the top of the spindle.
This is a photo of the driver's side front suspension. Sorry it takes me a while to post photos. I'm still figuring this site out.
SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2011 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

WoW....

Sorry, ALL this great stuff and correct spelling in a PK thread.... IMPRESIVE

------------------
aka. SmoothGT
NotAFieroAnyLonger
CURRENT BUILD:
" SmoothGT-'w8nc' "
RIP. "Little Feather"

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2011 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is kind of a cool off-roader...

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

PFF
System Bot
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2011 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SMTHGT:

Sorry, ALL this great stuff and correct spelling in a PK thread.... IMPRESSIVE

Fixed it for you.

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More photos - We finished the rear ladder bar and it works great!

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 04:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BazookaFiero:

You mean the jalepeno? Always thought it looked like a fun car

http://www.kitcar.com/artic...r/knotts01/home.html another pic of a red one here.
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The winch was installed on Saturday - 8,000 LB Smittybilt with synthetic rope. Including the two pieces of 3"x1" C-channel, I've added about 130 lbs to the front, right over the axle.
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its sitting on its own wheels for the first time in almost 2 years!
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had the body panels for over a year now, this is the first time they've actually sat on the car
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

artworks

159 posts
Member since Dec 2010
Note the tail lights - from a 2009 Nissan Cube. I still need to hack the crap out of the 'glas to make them fit, but I think the look suits the body.
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Artworks, you should start a new thread for that build. You're doing an awesome job so far! I'd like to see it without all the clutter of other people talking earlier. But either way, keep the updates coming!
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the kudos. Right now I'm struggling to figure out how to wire the engine and trans. One thought I had was to use the existing PCM and graft it into the Fiero harness. My knowledgeable friends tell me that's a fool's game - it will take forever to get rid of all the error codes. CHRF sells a Holley Commander control module and harness for the Northstar ($1.8k), but I still need a controller for the electronic trans. I think I've found a solution with Powertrain Control Solutions - they sell a $750 controller and $150 harness that looks like it would work. I suppose I could also change the trans, but my research says the 4T80 trans is virtually bulletproof - they use the pig in hearses and limos. Plus I've already installed the posi unit from Phantom Grip. Any advice y'all could give on controlling a Northstar engine and trans would be welcome.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock