Fiero Boneyard by Def Leprd
Started on: 09-10-2016 10:32 AM
Replies: 72 (2734 views)
Last post by: Rick Morehouse on 06-29-2020 01:10 PM
Def Leprd

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2016 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Def LeprdSend a Private Message to Def LeprdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have heard of a Fiero Boneyard in Arizona but can't figure out where it is. Anyone know about it?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2016 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe that was Phil who moved to Nevada. Now all of his cars are just rotting away in the desert and who knows what is in his warehouse. This is from a thread last year. You can see some good cars there and what appears to be an Enterra at the front of that convertible GT:

lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2016 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
and a Nash Metropolitan. Jeez Phil is a worse person than I previously thought.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2016 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks like an automoda 88GT.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2016 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

That looks like an automoda 88GT.

Probably. Note the third brake light mounted to the bottom of the wing.

This is near the corner of S Vasco PL and Gamebird Road, Pahrump, Nevada if anyone wants to take a closer look. Hell, I may steal a few if he doesn't do anything with them soon:

fierogt28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2016 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

This is near the corner of S Vasco PL and Gamebird Road, Pahrump, Nevada if anyone wants to take a closer look. Hell, I may steal a few if he doesn't do anything with them soon:

Ya, I seen that. Its a shame to see rare collector cars just sit there while someone could enjoy it more than this Phil gentleman, or crook.
fierogt28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2016 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierogt28

2938 posts
Member since Feb 2005

Ya, I seen that. Its a shame to see rare collector cars just sit there while someone could enjoy it more than this Phil gentleman, or crook.
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2016 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The white '88 GT convertible is an Automoda kit. It had the power option....meaning it had 2 hydraulic rams to open and close the top. Kind of pointless since you still ad to remove the T-Top" panels first, but I suppose if it got too windy while you were driving you could at least get the back half up easily.

If my memory serves me (and I could be mistaken), it was owned by Efrem Zimbalist, Jr.....not sure if he was the original owner or what, but when I visited FOCOA headquarters in the late 90's/early 2000's that is what Gloria told me.

I can only imagine how dry rotted the interior is now that it's been baking in the Nevada sun for years.

I think the yellow T-Top Formula is the saddest one in the group.....if it's the one that was signed by everyone on the line the day it was built, that is. It is also probably in rough shape if it's been sitting outside all these years. With such a big building and so much land (to build another storage building) I have no idea why these are sitting outside. Makes no sense to me.

[This message has been edited by mrfiero (edited 09-11-2016).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2016 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...and what appears to be an Enterra

Damn.
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2016 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:
With such a big building and so much land (to build another storage building) I have no idea why these are sitting outside. Makes no sense to me.

Perhaps the building is full of more Fieros ... somebody should really pay them a visit ...
mr_corean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2016 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mr_coreanSend a Private Message to mr_coreanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well **** . I guess I'm taking a road trip tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it goes. Anyone have any contact info for this guy?
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2016 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mr_corean:

Well **** . I guess I'm taking a road trip tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Keep in mind that those Google Street View images are from June of 2011. A lot can change in five years.
jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2016 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wasn't there a story behind him, I remember those Google pics,, didn't someone claim him ripped them off or something ?

------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
Northstar Rebuild

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2016 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well **** . I guess I'm taking a road trip tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Please do

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 09-14-2016).]

Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2016 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well **** . I guess I'm taking a road trip tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it goes. Anyone have any contact info for this guy?

Yes! Thank you!! Perhaps biggest Fiero auction ever coming soon!!!
mr_corean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2016 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mr_coreanSend a Private Message to mr_coreanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went out there yesterday, it wasn't until evening so the sun was going down and the pictures aren't very good. Who ever is the owner definitely did not want anyone getting into the shop as evidenced by the last picture, lol. I think I'm making some headway on tracking down the owner as the gentleman who owns the house just to the north of the property was very friendly and helpful. Warning: The following pictures may be disturbing to some viewers. Viewer discretion is advised.

mr_corean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2016 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mr_coreanSend a Private Message to mr_coreanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mr_corean

437 posts
Member since Mar 2005
Some of the points I thought were the saddest was the rust showing on the hinge mechanism of the convertible as well as all over the frame of the stripped car. These are in the desert so rust shouldn't really exist at all. Also the convertible is completely falling apart on the interior due to exposure. Lastly I believe the convertible was originally yellow. As you can see in the pictures it is now basically white. An interesting thing about it that I couldn't get a decent picture of, the wing has a third brake light on the bottom of it. I don't know anything about kits or whatever, but maybe someone here will be able to use that with the pictures to get an idea of where it came from. The chop top was pretty sweet and I really dug the riveted sail panel look. Hopefully I can find the owner and they are cool with showing me some more because this stuff is pretty cool so far.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2016 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow, I'm really surprised at what you found. It's like time has stood still out there in the desert.

Originally posted by Patrick:

Keep in mind that those Google Street View images are from June of 2011. A lot can change in five years.

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2016 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Some of the points I thought were the saddest was the rust showing on the hinge mechanism of the convertible as well as all over the frame of the stripped car. These are in the desert so rust shouldn't really exist at all. Also the convertible is completely falling apart on the interior due to exposure. Lastly I believe the convertible was originally yellow. As you can see in the pictures it is now basically white. An interesting thing about it that I couldn't get a decent picture of, the wing has a third brake light on the bottom of it. I don't know anything about kits or whatever, but maybe someone here will be able to use that with the pictures to get an idea of where it came from. The chop top was pretty sweet and I really dug the riveted sail panel look. Hopefully I can find the owner and they are cool with showing me some more because this stuff is pretty cool so far.

I'm so glad to see some updated closeups. Thanks for doing that. Also, I hope that yellow car doesn't have the factory plastic covering the seats. That would mean a fairly new car was just dumped out there.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 09-15-2016).]

TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2016 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for sharing the pics. Shame to see those Fieros sitting being faded away by the sun. If that's what didn't earn a spot in the garage, it would be interesting to see what's inside.
mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2016 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm so glad to see some updated closeups. Thanks for doing that. Also, I hope that yellow car doesn't have the factory plastic covering the seats. That would mean a fairly new car was just dumped out there.

It looks like it is the T-Top Formula I was referring to in my previous post. It was signed by everyone on the line the day it was built and AFAIK only had a few hundred miles on it. I also don't think the convertible was ever yellow....I always remembered it as being white (I saw this car 15-16 years ago when it was in far better shape at FOCOA's HQ in Anaheim).

Here's a newspaper article from 1994 that mentions the Indy Pace car.....with 7 original miles on it as well as the yellow Formula signed by the factory workers.

http://articles.latimes.com..._1_fiero-owners-club

PFF
System Bot
mr_corean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2016 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mr_coreanSend a Private Message to mr_coreanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are actually 2 pace cars in the line. One in the front left and another 2 cars back.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2016 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:

It looks like it is the T-Top Formula I was referring to in my previous post. It was signed by everyone on the line the day it was built and AFAIK only had a few hundred miles on it.

Here's the really sad part.....the article says the CHASSIS was signed by 350 members of the plant. I hope those signatures are not rotting away under the vehicle but are safe under the hood.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 09-15-2016).]

mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2016 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here's the really sad part.....the article says the CHASSIS was signed by 350 members of the plant. I hope those signatures are not rotting away under the vehicle but are safe under the hood.

The signatures were/are under the body panels.....many are permanently covered up by the roof panel, etc. That being said....the ones that are viewable are probably protected since the hood and decklid are closed.

I just realized there are 2 Pace Cars.....I an pretty sure one of them is that 7 mile car. I also noticed that the black '88 GT T-Top still has Eagle GT+4 tires.....I wonder how many miles are on that one? They haven't made the GT+4 in more than 20 years.

It seems Phil doesn't care for Fieros anymore. He works with/for the local historical society and evidently has a substantial collection of President Lincoln stuff. i wish he would sell the Fieros to someone who will preserve them....I know I'd buy 2 or 3 of them right now if I could.
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2016 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Mr Corean for taking the trip and taking those reconnaissance photos.

After seeing those pictures I just want to punch Phil in the nuts.
ITR SOL

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-16-2016 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITR SOLSend a Private Message to ITR SOLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just spoke with Phil on the phone (Google works wonders guys, he's listed). He did answer the phone and was willing to talk a bit. He said he's trying to get the cars sorted and put them inside. I was asking about the Enterra specifically. He said he's willing to consider letting go of some things, but also said it would probably be the first of the year before he'd be able to get anything moved around. Nice guy.

By the way, I told him a thread surfaced about his collection, so I'd be careful what you post, he may very well come looking for this thread.

[This message has been edited by ITR SOL (edited 09-16-2016).]

trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2016 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:

After seeing those pictures I just want to punch Phil in the nuts.

I spit coffee on to my computer monitor when I read that! I laughed out loud!

[This message has been edited by trivet (edited 09-16-2016).]

Def Leprd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2016 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Def LeprdSend a Private Message to Def LeprdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks so much for all of your replies and mr corean for taking the trip. I'm a flight attendant and the week after me husband bought my 86 GT for me, I had a passenger on board wearing a Fiero T Shirt. Of course he was my favorite passenger that day! We swapped pics of our babies and he talked about the boneyard that originally inspired my post. He had taken a road trip across the country to visit the place. I though what a great resource! He talked about getting some great parts including like new seats. I just assumed I'd be able to Google it and find it right away. Maybe the guy was a nut, or just exaggerating. If there's anything like that out there somewhere I'm sure we'll figure it out eventually.

BTW, my husband worked for a Pontiac dealership in the 80's and he said that he doesn't remember the seats covered in plastic when they came from the factory. Regardless, he said they would have removed it during the new car PDI.
FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2016 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Def Leprd:

Thanks so much for all of your replies and mr corean for taking the trip. I'm a flight attendant and the week after me husband bought my 86 GT for me, I had a passenger on board wearing a Fiero T Shirt. Of course he was my favorite passenger that day! We swapped pics of our babies and he talked about the boneyard that originally inspired my post. He had taken a road trip across the country to visit the place. I though what a great resource! He talked about getting some great parts including like new seats. I just assumed I'd be able to Google it and find it right away. Maybe the guy was a nut, or just exaggerating. If there's anything like that out there somewhere I'm sure we'll figure it out eventually.

BTW, my husband worked for a Pontiac dealership in the 80's and he said that he doesn't remember the seats covered in plastic when they came from the factory. Regardless, he said they would have removed it during the new car PDI.

Sounds like he was talking about "The Fiero Factory" (TFF automotive) or the now defunked kickhill farms?
Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-17-2016 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My silver gt came out of this collection.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2016 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ITR SOL:

By the way, I told him a thread surfaced about his collection, so I'd be careful what you post, he may very well come looking for this thread.

He is more than welcome to see my post about stealing his collection. I'm not sugarcoating the fact that some idiot has zero respect for some rare vehicles.......most of which probably can no longer be restored. He is more than welcome to come on here and respond to my post. Not that I'm nominating the two of them but If he truly gave a damn, he could EASILY have emailed Silvertown or even mr_corean for some help. I'm sure they would have been glad to help him move those into the warehouse and see the rest of his collection. But instead, he simply didn't give a rats ass what happened to these vehicles.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 09-17-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-17-2016 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

He is more than welcome to see my post about stealing his collection. I'm not sugarcoating the fact that some idiot has zero respect for some rare vehicles.......most of which probably can no longer be restored. He is more than welcome to come on here and respond to my post. Not that I'm nominating the two of them but If he truly gave a damn, he could EASILY have emailed Silvertown or even mr_corean for some help. I'm sure they would have been glad to help him move those into the warehouse and see the rest of his collection. But instead, he simply didn't give a rats ass what happened to these vehicles.

There was an 88 white gt that was recently purchased that I saw on the board that had been in Arizona via Wisconsin just as mine had been. The story I was told was that it (they) had been part of a large collection and my silver gt had been moved outside when the collection changed owners, hence the sunburn on the hood, roof and decklid. That was July of last year and it has been solid as a 30 year old car can be. I call dibs on the Indy fingers crossed.

kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2016 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I WOULD LOVE TO BRING AN INDY HOME to Indiana . Show off at shows , restore , preserve, ect.
ITR SOL

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-17-2016 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITR SOLSend a Private Message to ITR SOLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Again, it's Phill Huff who has these cars, and I'm not sure if he still frequents this forum. It took me all of 30 seconds to find an active number for him in NV. If anyone is serious, posting here would not be the best way to reach him.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2016 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At one time Phil Huff ran a museum at his location in So. California in which was called the Fiero Owners Club of America. It was not a traditional car club but a for profit business. He ended up having problems with many people for parts and magazine orders and went out of business. He was able to acquire some rare cars and the original Fiero Factory signs from GM. Then he had to leave California and ended up in Nevada with a new business.
If Phil thinks this much of a rare classic car collection, he may be suffering from a hoarding sickness. He is on in years and will never in his lifetime restore any of these cars. IMO, they will be left to rot away.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

RED87SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2016 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RED87SESend a Private Message to RED87SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First time I have seen mention of the Fiero Owners Club of America. I got two of these stickers with the package of documentation the previous owner gave me 3 years ago.

Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-18-2016 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Again, it's Phill Huff who has these cars, and I'm not sure if he still frequents this forum. It took me all of 30 seconds to find an active number for him in NV. If anyone is serious, posting here would not be the best way to reach him.

Said he wasn't moving on it until first of the year which works great for me!
Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2016 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice piece of recon! I wonder how much value has been lost from all the exposure. A crying shame ...
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2016 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He did do ALOT for the Fiero for almost 2 decades. I do agree he went out bad. But don't hate on him so much.
At least the cars he has STILL exist, they could have been long since crushed.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2016 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Someone with resources please just call him and try and get the cars before they are toast.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock