Lexan Sunroof Group Buy!! by retroman
Started on: 07-09-2013 08:01 PM
Replies: 39
Last post by: retroman on 10-19-2013 05:29 PM
retroman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanDirect Link to This Post
I have been wanting to do this for awhile. I think a lighter more durable sunroof makes sense, so after some searching I found a company by the name of Pro Glass that is not only willing to custom mold Lexan to OEM specifications, but according to their website, they do it on a regular basis for several car manufacturers and racing teams around the country. Pro Glass has quoted me ~$225.00 for 1/8" tinted Lexan formed with mounting points for OEM hardware. They are willing to do a discount, but only if I can get at least 5 others. I do not know how much the discount will be as of right now, but I hope to find out soon. If you are a definite "yes", you can email Bob at info@proglasswindows.com with a link to this thread and can also specify tinted or non-tinted if you wish, but please don't forget to respond below so we know how many we have onboard. More on the website here: http://www.proglasswindows.com/FormedWindows.html Thanks!!

[This message has been edited by retroman (edited 07-09-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
1/8 isn't near thick enough. The stock Fiero Sunroof glass is almost 1/4". It's just a 1/32 shy of 1/4.

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 07-10-2013).]

Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero sunroof actually has a rather important curvature on the roof. It's importance being that the curvature goes along with the body of the roof to properly seal the sunroof glass against the sunroof hardware.

Will they be able to keep this curvature intact? Obviously I'm very sure they will be able to, since many custom cars use Lexan side windows with similar curvature. But I ask because Lexan in many typical racing applications is usually straight to very little curvature. Since most racing vehicles do not see water (or if they do water will not hamper the vehicle's operation), maintaining OEM curvature on pieces that may normally have such curvature in place is not priority.

For a Fiero sunroof in particular, if the replacement Lexan piece's curvature is not near spot-on, it will leak. If it lacks curvature in the middle water will likely get in through the sunroof latch. If it lacks the curvature on the sides it won't seal fully against the sunroof hardware potentially opening up leaking hazards on the sides. And even then I wonder how well a lighter and thinner material would seal going through twisting motion and such, since it will not be fully sealed all around like similar applications (it would use the front two latch points and the single middle on the rear).

You may ultimately have to supply them your OEM sunroof glass or a spare one so they can properly determine if for sure the resultant product will actually work.
retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanDirect Link to This Post
I've already discussed these issues with them and they say they can do it. I wasn't aware of the true thickness of the stock roof, but they do offer 1/4 inch thick Lexan. They may be able to shave that down 1/16 so the roof lines match up for a stock finish. Also, yes, they did tell me that they need an OEM roof for comparison so they can copy the proper dimensions and curvature. Since I drive my car everyday, I am looking to either purchase a spare or find someone on here who wouldn't mind loaning one for the cause.
fierohobby

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohobbySend a Private Message to fierohobbyDirect Link to This Post
I have one currently not being used I'd be willing to lend, dependent on assurance that it will be returned, undamaged. Contact me via PM.

-fh
retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierohobby:

I have one currently not being used I'd be willing to lend, dependent on assurance that it will be returned, undamaged. Contact me via PM.

-fh

PM Sent...
JHarvey

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JHarveySend a Private Message to JHarveyDirect Link to This Post
I have one that I wouldn't mind selling. An extra one that is
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
I have several extras and would be willing to donate one to the cause. I could care less if I ever see it again. It might be nice to have a lighter sunroof panel as it would be easier to remove.
retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jefrysuko:

I have several extras and would be willing to donate one to the cause. I could care less if I ever see it again. It might be nice to have a lighter sunroof panel as it would be easier to remove.

That was my original thought. I hate taking out the stock panel just because it weighs so much. Thanks for being willing to donate. Anyway, Pro Glass is in Bristol. Is that close to you by an chance?

[This message has been edited by retroman (edited 07-11-2013).]

Jefrysuko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by retroman:

Pro Glass is in Bristol. Is that close to you by an chance?

Nope, I'm about 9 hours away from them. I'd have to ship it.
retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanDirect Link to This Post

Nope, I'm about 9 hours away from them. I'd have to ship it.

That's not a problem. Still a lot better than having to ship from elsewhere so far. I can cover cost of shipping. How soon do you think you could get it out to them??

[This message has been edited by retroman (edited 07-11-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Direct Link to This Post
Are you talking about Bristol, Illinois? I live about 5-10 minutes away.
retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rbell2915:

Are you talking about Bristol, Illinois? I live about 5-10 minutes away.

I am. Would you be willing to loan a panel?
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Direct Link to This Post
I'm not entirely sure yet. How long will it take for them to copy it? And tomorrow is chore day so I can't do it tomorrow.
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Direct Link to This Post

rbell2915

1437 posts
Member since Mar 2013
And I only have one sunroof panel which is on my car. That's why it'd be a little hard to do without knowing how long it'll take.
retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure how long they would need it, but I am asking. If you do decide to loan, anytime that is convenient for you would be good. I appreciate the interest. Thanks.
retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanDirect Link to This Post

retroman

470 posts
Member since Oct 2010
I got a reply back this morning. Pro Glass will need the stock sunroof panel for a week. Thanks.
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Direct Link to This Post
I'm sorry, a week is too long for me. I wish I could help, but yeah.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2013 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
For Pete's sake.... everybody only has the one IN their car?

I got one from a Canadian Pick n Pull for $25 as a spare for my Indy.
I can't believe nobody near Bristol has bought one for a spare at that cheap price.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-15-2013).]

goatvenom

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for goatvenomSend a Private Message to goatvenomDirect Link to This Post
i have one om willing to sell to the cause i have no use and i don't care for the sun roof in these cars any way pm me and ill sell it to anyone who desires it, name the price
Jefrysuko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
All, Sorry I had a death in the family that took up my weekend.

I thought we were talking about Bristol TN not Bristol IL (Looking at their address they are really in Yorkville and google maps even corrects it as such). I'm still about 3 hours away from there but it is near my in-law's and I might be making a trip up there soon. Either way I really don't need several sunroofs laying around my house so I'll get one to them one way or another.
PFF
System Bot
retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanDirect Link to This Post

All, Sorry I had a death in the family that took up my weekend.

I thought we were talking about Bristol TN not Bristol IL (Looking at their address they are really in Yorkville and google maps even corrects it as such). I'm still about 3 hours away from there but it is near my in-law's and I might be making a trip up there soon. Either way I really don't need several sunroofs laying around my house so I'll get one to them one way or another.

So sorry to hear about your loss...

Sorry about the confusion with which Bristol I was referring to, and thanks for clearing it up. Not sure exactly how soon you'd be able to make the trip, but thanks for still being willing to do this.

So I'm not sure if anyone else here is onboard. I suppose you all would prefer to see the finished product first??? If so, that's fine. I don't mind being the first to jump in. I will provide pics and updates as necessary.
Jefrysuko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to attempt to deliver a sunroof tomorrow. I haven't contacted pro glass yet so I'll do that in the morning before I head out.
retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 02:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanDirect Link to This Post
Thanks!! Definitely looking forward to the finished product.
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireDirect Link to This Post
I have 2 spares and you guys have none -facepalm-
Jefrysuko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
sunroof has been delivered. Bob is expecting a call from you retroman
retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Jefry. I will call him in the morning. Little too late tonight...
retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanDirect Link to This Post

retroman

470 posts
Member since Oct 2010
Tried calling them this morning, but the number (1-630-553-3141) they have listed on the website appears to be no longer in service. I have emailed them and am waiting a response. I hope I can get the ball rolling on this today.
Jefrysuko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by retroman:

Tried calling them this morning, but the number (1-630-553-3141) they have listed on the website appears to be no longer in service. I have emailed them and am waiting a response. I hope I can get the ball rolling on this today.

I called him via that number twice yesterday!
retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanDirect Link to This Post
So, I tried a few more times and was finally able to get through. Don't know how I can dial a # and get rejected multiple times by Verizon one minute (from both a cell and landline btw), and call back the next minute and get through.. Anyway, even though I got through, I still haven't been able to talk to Bob yet. Hopefully soon... I'd like to get this done as quickly as possible.
retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanDirect Link to This Post
Well, after a few more emails and some phone tag, I finally got a hold of Bob today. My order is in and he said that it should be in the mail by the middle of next week. I will post pics as soon as it gets here for anyone else considering doing this. Thanks to Jefrysuko for loaning an OEM spare and everyone else who has taken interest in this thread. More to follow...
PFF
System Bot
kyyljoy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyyljoySend a Private Message to kyyljoyDirect Link to This Post
how much of a weight difference is it really? and how durable is it?
retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kyyljoy:

how much of a weight difference is it really? and how durable is it?

I hope enough of a difference so that every time I remove my sunroof, I'm not looking like a bumbling idiot trying to not to drop the thing. The old roof is quite a hefty chunk of glass, but the worst part about it is that even though it can be easily carried once it's out, getting it out and putting it back in takes a little finesse and just feels awkward. I hope shaving off a few pounds will make the process easier. I will weigh the new and the old roof together and post the difference here. I don't think it would be enough to make a huge difference at the track, but it still is a difference. As for durability, I've never actually used Lexan in any of my vehicles, but I've heard it's fairly durable. They use the stuff for aircraft windshields, and I think the Mythbusters even fired a frozen chicken at it. Don't remember the results though...
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
I could be wrong but I think flexibility is going to be an issue. Plexi is too flexible. I have a 1 inch thick, 15" long piece of square plexi (rod) here and I can bow it by hand with moderate effort. Also, as you drive at speed, pressure builds and I think your going to get whistling sounds and or fluttering. There is also the issue of the plexi flattening out over a short period of time from heat/sun.

There is a good reason why plexi is not used on production cars.

Like I said, I could be wrong but I don't see this ending well.
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post

JimmyS

4666 posts
Member since Apr 2006
I reproduced the sunroof panel out of core mat/fiberglass as a blank out panel. http://fierofiberglass.com/...es/SunroofPanel.html It is the exact thickness of the sun roof. I sell it for pretty darn close to what these lexan panels will be. I had over 50 people say they would buy 1 if I made them. After 4 years now, I have sold a total of 3.

I wish you well with this but it has been my experience over the past 7 years that 1 in every 10 who say they will buy, actually do.
retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Jimmy. I have seen your blank out panel, and it's something that I have been keeping in mind for the future. You did bring up some valid points. Since I'm the guinea pig here, I will have to see how the new roof behaves first hand. I don't intend to offer the panels for sale because I don't have the skills, experience, or equipment to do so, but should someone else try this, they will know what they will be getting from my experience with it.
retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanDirect Link to This Post
So, it's been two weeks since my last post. I had given all my info to Proglass, but I haven't seen or heard anything more about the sunroof, and they haven't charged me for it either. I guess I will have to call them in the morning to see what is up.
retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2013 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanDirect Link to This Post
I got a reply back this morning. I was told that my sunroof will be shipped out tomorrow morning. As this thread is beginning to take a direction that is not suited for the Mall, I will be starting a new thread elsewhere on PFF to show off my new roof and discuss what it's like to live with it. I will post the link here as soon as it's up which won't be until I at least have pics of the new sunroof. In the meantime, if anyone feels like reviving this thread for its original purpose, you are welcome to it. Thanks.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotDirect Link to This Post
How would this be an improvement over the factory sunroof that already fits and works perfectly? I would think a slight weight reduction will be .01% of the weight of the car and not noticable. Lexan expands quite a bit in heat, and getting the curvature for a good seal and clarity would be quite a challenge for questionable gain.

It will be interesting to see if you post some pics
retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanDirect Link to This Post
New thread posted in General Fiero Chat here:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...092932.html#lastpost

And so the experiment begins...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock