Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall - Archive
  FS: Red 87GT, 3.4 engine, rust free, in Michigan. $3000 OBO (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
FS: Red 87GT, 3.4 engine, rust free, in Michigan. $3000 OBO by smartaxel
Started on: 07-28-2012 06:52 PM
Replies: 62
Last post by: smartaxel on 07-10-2013 07:27 PM
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2012 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
SOLD-----This is a "rust free" 87 Fiero GT. It's red and (I believe) it's in better shape then many Fieros I have seen. It's got a 3.4 liter engine with about 80,000 miles on it. I bought this car for the 20th Anniversary Fiero show and restored it then. It was a Southern car with a beautiful solid chassis, and I purchased it from Fiero Warehouse as prettymuch a rolling frame. A nice interior was put in, along with the 3.4 liter Camaro engine. It was given a base/clear paint job (although they didn't put enough clear on) and never driven in any winters so the chassis is still clean. At the same time, new rubber control arm bushings were installed, along with poly cradle bushings, and any bad suspension parts were replaced. This car was my absolute baby. The chassis is rust and accident free and she's a good runner. I had a child about 5 years ago, and I find that the 2-seater is hard to handle with a family. The car has been sitting outside the last few months and the sun is getting to it. The paint was fading, and I just don't want the car destroyed. The odometer has 227,000 miles, but in reality, there is probably 16,000 miles on the rubber bushings (control arm, suspension) since it was restored and the drivetrain has around 80,000. Suspension was replaced with KYB at the same time and lower mile springs.

Good-
Great running car. Has never let me down
Free of rust- accident free
Runs really well
Nice interior
Rodney Dickman parts everywhere
Ultimate Getrag shift kit
Good seats, dash, interior
around 80,000 miles on Camaro 3.4 engine
Tires only a few year old with great tread

Bad:
No a/c (needs compressor)
CD player LCD screen flickers sometimes.
Small drip from aftermarket Getrag stabilizer axle bushings
Paint needs to be re-done. It's a 10 year old Maaco base/clear and the clear has broken down. It polishes very nicely but fades by the end of the season.
Once in a while in first gear on full throttle, the car stumbles slightly. I can't get it to happen enough to figure out why it does that. Seems more the beginning of the season.

I don't drive the car everyday at all anymore. It was stored in a garage and was my summer daily driver. Lately, It's been driven a few weeks per year for the last 2 years, and really I don't think that is good for any car. This car is very sentimental to me, but I had to choose. If this one doesn't sell, I will probably put up my 3800 powered Formula.

Car is sold As/Is. Asking $3,000, but will accept offers. I really don't know what the going rate is. I want it to go to a good home.

SOLD---- thanks all
Feel free to ask any questions, make an offer, or come take a look at it.

Notice a small crack in the dash right by the vents (hit brakes hard and backpack hit it). This is repairable.

Custom sunvisors- Thanks for Fiero Thomas

Sunroof- and headliner in good shape

You shouldnt see any rust. Red overspray from paint though

Tires are all good- just Belle Tire's own brand.

[This message has been edited by smartaxel (edited 07-10-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
smartaxel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
Asking too much? Any interest?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by smartaxel:

I believe that your offer price is reasonable but things like a broken A/C system, high miles and other items needing attention narrows down the market quite a bit. Most buyers seem to want a "turn key" car and the low end of the market is for the beaters . Your Fiero falls in that in between area. Not a bad buy but a car that needs the right buyer.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 08-05-2012).]

CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootDirect Link to This Post
Being rust free in Michigan, I thought it would go quick at that price.
Fiero42

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero42Send a Private Message to Fiero42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by smartaxel:

Not a bad asking price, but yes, the miles, no A/C and that full looking ashtray/cig burn in seat would be a turn-off to many buyers. (Not on a soapbox, just trying to help)
smartaxel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
Hey folks...

Thanks for the input. I haven't detailed the car yet. Its been a very hectic summer, and I had plans of an engine detailing, along with interior-- But the Summer has gotten past me, so I wanted to get it up for sale at least. Cows- that is the one you were pictured with at the Fiero Factory a few years back. Completely rust free. It's best of both worlds. Southern steel, but northern interior.

The mileage probably concerns folks. The reality is that the drivetrain and any rubber or moving parts, probably have less then 100,000 miles, and this car probably feels and drives better then many Fieros out there. Dew strips were replaced, exterior glass moldings, ball joints, tie rods, rubber bushings, shocks, springs, struts, interior, dash, steering wheel, seats, plastics, quarter windows, engine, getrag, shifter, radiator all replaced when I prepped it for the 20th. But, the odometer is the odometer. When I bought the frame, I wasn't concerned about the mileage because I never planned to sell it. Things change- unfortunately.

I'm not saying the car is mint- It isn't. It was driven daily for a few seasons, but I think it's a very nice Fiero. I spent probably $8,000-$10,000 on it over the years (that part is very depressing), but I enjoyed it. I'm hoping someone makes an offer. I would hate for the car to continue to sit outside.

[This message has been edited by smartaxel (edited 08-05-2012).]

InTheLead

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadDirect Link to This Post
Any types of trades you're interested in by chance?

smartaxel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2012 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
Not really interested in trades. I don't have garage space, or I'd be keeping the car- so I can't get another one.
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2012 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetDirect Link to This Post
Where in MI are you located? I'd like to take a look at it if your not to far.......I'm in Bay City.

------------------
Tim
'87 GT Auto
Med Red Metallic
78K miles
Bay City, MI

smartaxel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2012 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
Hi,
Its in waterford right now.
smartaxel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2012 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
This is still for sale. Center console trim and ash tray door being replaced this weekend. Feel free to make offers. If not sold, I will be putting up the 88 soon.
PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2012 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
I must have missed it. Manual or auto? Oopps didnt look good enough I see it is a manual.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 12-22-2012).]

gremlin87

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2012 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gremlin87Send a Private Message to gremlin87Direct Link to This Post
Is this still for sale? How about the 88 formula?
smartaxel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2012 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
Yes, both are for sale. Long story short, I have 2 Fieros, but room for one. They are both "for sale" and whichever doesn't sell is the one I will keep. I won't really push selling one till Summer again, however they're available idf someone wants to buy one.

The 87 Gt is a manual Trans. No rust that I am aware of.

The 88 is a red formula T-top with a (professionally installed) 3800 series 2 supercharged, auto trans. The 88 was a michigan car it's whole life but had little rust. i dont think it was driven in snow much There were some rust spots in the trunk framerails a when I bought it, and they were sanded and coated with POR-15. The bumpers were pulled and the interiors of the framerails were checked and also coated with POR 15 and some Eastwood products. The underside was rust free and was coated, along with the gas tank, in a truck bed liner product. It hasnt been driven this entire Summer and has been stored. I don't have an asking price for this one because I have a lotof money into it. It's (kinda) best offer- if I end up selling it. It does need paint. It's got the original red paint and it's not in the best shape at all.

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2012 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
Your 87 is tempting me. Thats about all I am getting from the ins co.if I keep the coupe, but then I will have a problem with the wife with two cars. I really prefer the 88 suspension and brakes.That has me thinking. I have extra 88 brake parts etc which do not fit the 87. Another question parking brake? I have a fairly steep angled drive way and the parking brake has to work. Air conditioning what is needed to make it work? I like air and my coupe has air. Sounds like the Formula is more than I can spend. With the 3.4 and five speed how is the mpg on the highway when you drive conservatively? I may have to use it as a daily driver if I cant keep the coupe. I would have to check to see if my 14" snows would fit. I dont see why they would not. Seat in good condition? I installed Trans Am cloth seats in my coupe and I like the seats.

Oh what tires are on the car? What tread depth is on the tires? Are they high performance tires? My summer set for the coupe are directional performance bridgestone pole position tires.

Engine looks dirty are there any issues? Does it need wires? plugs? sensors? how are the hoses? when were they replaced? Hows the rack?

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 12-22-2012).]

smartaxel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2012 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
AC? Should be just a compressor, but to be honest I never tried to charge this car or pressure test it. When I swapped in the 3.4, I purposely installed a known bad compressor (from a previous Fiero I had) with the plan to replace it the next Summer. I just never did. That Summer I did buy a replacement compressor for it, along with a new drier, but then got busy into the other Fieros (Had a 3.4 turbo I was building, then later spent a lot of $ on the 3800) and had a child, and now we're at today. The replacement compressor and drier could go with the car, however they're in boxes.. In theory, once installed, that should be all it needs, but I couldn't honestly say since I never pressure tested it. This car went from my "baby" to the "second Fiero" to the "Reliable" spare car. Mileage--wise, I don't know. There's no highway between my work and home, so the majority of driving was surface roads. I took it on a few fiero cruises and gassed up when everyone else did. I wouldnt say it gets incredible mileage though. I think I got 3-4 days of driving per tank. I drive at least 2- 2.5 hours a day and my "truck" also lasts me about 4 days, but has a much larger tank. It's not bad on gas, but it doesn't sip it like a 4 cylinder either. What I will say is this car never ever let me down. It was absolutely reliable. Even when the alternator died, it made it home and I was able to get one and replace it in the driveway. The only caveat is that I haven't driven it much the last two years. This Summer I drove it maybe 4 weeks. Last time was October. Last Summer was the same. I usually add gas stabilizer, and change the oil regularly and then I drive it when I want to. I know this isn't really "good" for a car, so I'd want you to drive it and see how it runs. I can't make any promises on anything- I can just go by track record.. Now the 87 and 88 suspension is an oddity to me. I know the 88s handle better then the 87s, but I prefer the "ride" quality of my 87 to my 88. I put all new rubber (again, 10 years ago) bushings in the 87. The 88 has new poly. In comparison, the 87 rides like a Caddy, versus the 88 where you feel everything. This may just be rubber versus poly, and not an 87/88 thing. I'd never do poly again.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2012 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
Donkey poo is that a sunroff? Not a fan of sunroofs. I was selling Pontiacs when they came out in 1977 and heard ALL the complaints I ever want to hear. I have a "bad taste" for them. Sunroofs leak. Water seeks the least path of resistence. I have seen the GM CUV's that are only several years old leak, because the drains are plugged. Any other photos? Like under the bonnet? better shot of the tires? the trunk? underneath and suspension? Rear tail lights etc. Sorry for all the questions but I have a major decision to make. I would love to keep my 88 coupe and I am impressed with your 87 GT. If I keep my coupe and repair it I have to do it in stages and I have to either pull the upper frame rail back to or cut and weld new pieces. So that is in the back of my mind. I have this thing about suspension and handling and I know the 88's were vastly improved. I have poly in the rear of the coupe and I have not noticed what you refer to as "hard ride" When I installed the poly dog bone then I noticed some harshness. Even though I am an old man I dont care for soft suspensions. I perfer a firm ride. Having two Fieros? I would love to and that is what I am battling with. and No the WARDEN would more than likely not go along with that.

What brand are the tires? Are they all seasons or high performance summer tires or directional tires? Are they speed rated?

Paint: is that factory red? I like the mono paint theme. I would paint the body side mouldings red and then have the car sprayed with some clear . I would also shoot the bottom with rustproof.

Again I am sorry for all the questions. Did you say the car is over on the other side of the state? I am in GR.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 12-23-2012).]

smartaxel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2012 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
I see more questions, so here are more responses..

The seats were replaced with nice 87 Gt skins 10 years ago and had 2 layers of seat covers on them since. The only damage I remember is whats in the picture- one cigarette burn. Those were the best seats I could find back when I reskinned them. I drove to Ohio for them. It's been 10+ years and I haven't removed the seat covers since, so I'd have to look again to see if there is any new damage. I dont think so though.

Tires have great tread, however they're generic Belle tire Brand tires in stock sizes. Performance tires they are not at all. Mine are going to be crap compared to the Bridgestones. Two were bought 1 Summer ago, and two were bought a year or two before those if I recall correctly.

Engine is dirty, but it's because its been sitting outside this year. It's airborn dirty/dust and gunk. Like I said, it went from my "baby" to a 'spare" and the detailing vanished once it was no longer sitting in the garage. I didn't prep the car before taking those pics above. I walked out, took the pics and posted them,. The only leaks (at least last time I looked) were the add-on axle seals. The left one drips a little, but I believe I mentioned that up top. I am not aware of any other engine leaks at all. It should be dry. Two years ago, the oil pan drain plug stripped, so I had a shop replace the pan with new OEM along with new gasket. The engine had the head gaskets, water pump, intakes all done when it was installed maybe 10 years ago. I doubt it's had 12,000 miles since then. Wires, plugs, and all hoses were replaced. I think I swapped out radiators at some point too just to be on the safe side. Some Sensors were newish 10 years ago. Oil pressure sensor and EGR solenoid were replaced then. I can't recall which others. No problems with the rack.. If I were going to do anything else, I would replace the fuel pump. It's original AC Delco (1987!!) and that scares me- especially since it sits so much.. I bought a new AC Delco pump for it to do this Summer, and also the Fiero Store rubber gas hoses, but the engine in my 3000GT blew up and all time and ALL funds were diverted to repair it. Again, the 87 got kicked to the curb again... It's been a great car. I dont want to paint a picture that it's perfect.. It's not perfect. However it has been reliable for me.
smartaxel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2012 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post

smartaxel

2823 posts
Member since Feb 2002
More answers:

I'm 2.5 to 3 hours from Grand Rapids. We used to go to the "BOB" when we were younger.

Yep, it's a sunroof. Yes, it will eventually leak, but I prefer them. I had an aftermarket installed into my SUV, and added one to my 3000GT (myself) and put a set of T-tops into a Fiero. I hate closed roofs, but I agree, at some point, all sunroofs will leak. THe GM factory ones from about 2000 were REALLY bad though.

tires are Belle Tire brand. All-season generic.

I'm not as young as I used to be- I prefer softer suspension. Could be that the roads are just so horrible around here

This car has been for sale for a bit. I wont really "push" it till Summer anyway, so I doubt there is a huge rush for folks to buy it. You can always see if yours is repairable, and if not, this is an option. If the weather clears, and roads are salt free, I could meet you partially at aome point too. I just wont take it out in the snow or salt.

Paint is custom red. It was a Maaco base/clear made off a Honda red, with a bit of extra black added. It's darn close to Factory red though. The 88 is factory and there is little difference.

[This message has been edited by smartaxel (edited 12-23-2012).]

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2012 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
Sorry smartaxle I should have asked those questions on PM. My reason for asking about the paint is I would paint the body side moldings to match the car like I have done on my car. But being non factory paint that isnt going to be a easy match. Speaking of painting, I think I would eventually paint the wheels gold to match that nice interior. Do you have any shots pics of the dash and instrument panel head on? Oh my wife likes the car. I have to put a pencil to replacing the belle tire tires, fixing the air, costs of fixing things on a car that has been setting/stored( air filter, fuel filter rustproof, & addessing the V6 issues I hear about on this forum. Oh the possible future costs of tickets, LOL. You know going from a 2.5 with 98 hp WHEN IT WAS NEW to whatever the 3.4 develops will be an adjustment. Fuel mileage will drop from 35 average in the summer that I get with the 2.5. I am thinking of keeping the 88 long enough to swap radios, battery, wipers, headlights, and other upgrades I made to the 88. The 227,000 on the chassis isnt to far from the 186k I have on mine. Am I understanding the engine comments? It sounds like the engine had 80K on it when you purchased/installed and you freshened it up and there is 5k on that? Opps there I go again asking a thousand questions.

Sorry,

Steve W.
N.E. Grand Rapids, MI
smartaxel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2012 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
Im on the road so really quick response. Engine had 60 something thousand at purchase (i believe). Its prob got 80k max now. Prob somewheregot in thethe 70k range. I can go though all my old bills for more info and take more pics when i get home. See if any list mileage. Battery is a couple of years old
PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2012 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
Travel safely it can wait
smartaxel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2012 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
Here are pics taken yesterday. I have NOT cleaned the car at all, and it would really need it be- however it's Christmas and cold outside.
. I also want to mention the plastic shifter console trim is temporary. It will be replaced with the woodgrain that matches the rest of the car. I had to drive the car so I'd tossed it on as it was and havent completed it. If the car was sold, that would be repalced before the sale.

Notice a small crack in the dash right by the vents (hit brakes hard and backpack hit it). This is repairable.

Custom sunvisors- Thanks for Fiero Thomas

Sunroof- and headliner in good shape

You shouldnt see any rust. Red overspray from paint though

Tires are all good- just Belle Tire's own brand.

[This message has been edited by smartaxel (edited 12-25-2012).]

Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2012 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostDirect Link to This Post
Thats a great looking car for the price. The amount of miles on don't really show and its in great shape especially residing in Michigan. Good luck with the sale!
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
I did not see or over looked it. Spark plugs changed?
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002
I have to be in Brighton tomorrow AM to pick up a truck I have sold. How far is Brighton from where it is? If not far and it is outside I may buzz by and look at it.
smartaxel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
Its about 30 to 40 minutes probably. Its outside and i may be home too. I am on vacation thos week.. You are welcome to look or start it up if you like.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
How many miles on the plugs?
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Sent PM
RMOR235

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RMOR235Send a Private Message to RMOR235Direct Link to This Post
any pics of the 88 and price?
smartaxel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
These are pics of the 88. It needs to be repainted although it looks nice in the pics. I should make a new thread for this, but will post them here because of the request. I don't have a price on this one, so I am open to FAIR offers. I only will sell one car. Whichever one that doesnt sell will stay with me a very long time-

[This message has been edited by smartaxel (edited 12-27-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
ddddc

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ddddcSend a Private Message to ddddcDirect Link to This Post
PM sent in regard to T-Top car
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
Stopped by and looked at the GT. Nice car, but it was to cold to check it out completely and some of the roads were icy and some were salted. Started up great and idled smooth, exhaust sounded nice. Its on my short list.

Steve

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 12-31-2012).]

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2013 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
Smartaxle thanks for showing me your car the other day! I have some questions again. Let me get this straight in my head. Been busy trying to close out the month with a few sales, arrival of a new grandson and Christmas/New Years etc. The chassis has 227K. 16,000 miles ago new parts were installed in the suspension. Drive train has 80k. Did you install the drive train when the chassis had about 200k? Did you get the rolling chassis from the Fiero Warehouse with approximately 200k? I am trying to get this clear in my head. It sounds like you "built" the car when the chassis had about 200k correct?

When you had the car painted did they give you some extra paint? A small amount to use for touch up etc? I like the monochromematic look on the Fiero, it makes it appear more contemporary . . "updates" the car, so I would like to paint the mirrors and body side molding. Or do you have the paint codes to match the paint? I know you said it was a special mix.

That's it for now on the questions.

Thanks!

Steve W.
NE Grand Rapids, MI
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2013 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Opps thought of an other question. In one of your replies you mentioned "if you get a "7730 ecm and digital egr on the 3.4"? I am not familiar with this. I would guess that 7730 ecm is an upgrade? as is the digital egr?

Thanks,

Steve W
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2013 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
The 7730 is a new, faster ECM. Allows the elimination of some engine hardware (cold start injector, for one.)
Allows the coversion from distributor to coil packs. Replaces the old vacuum EGR with a more modern setup.
smartaxel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2013 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
I went through the bills for the car. I couldnt find the engine receipt, but I found distributor, some bushings, the strut installs, paint etc.
The car had 217,267 when the engine was installed. It had 227,000 when I put it up for sale. prob has a bit more by now. Engine had like 64,000 or 65,000 miles (I believe) at install. The head gsaskets, intake, oil pan, timing cover etc were all replaced them, along with new head bolts. It also had the oil pan replaced a few years ago. When the engine went in, I did all the work, Since then, I've had shops do things. I have a receipt for the strut install. I don't recall if I did the rubber bushings or if a shop did them. I believe I had sears put them in in the front..

Paint- yes, they gave me extra however it'd dried up within a few days. I think I tossed it out. I do have a Maaco invoice, and it has a paint code, but I'm not sure if its the right code. I had it painted once and it came out too orange for my taste, then I had them repaint it right away with the red I liked. Im not sure if the code on the invoice is the orangy color, or the proper red. The mirrors re already painted body color, but the black trim is not.

Raydar got the 7730 thing. It's a replacement ECM that (I believe) Sinister Performance made popular. It's supposed to have quicker response and allows you to use the digital EGR. i think it also had a smoother idle. I never had plans to install one. My car has 19 pound mustang injectors and a Fiero Factory chip.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2013 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

The 7730 is a new, faster ECM. Allows the elimination of some engine hardware (cold start injector, for one.)
Allows the coversion from distributor to coil packs. Replaces the old vacuum EGR with a more modern setup.

Would this help in mpg? I think that was the avenue smartaxle was thinking of as I mentioned I would have to change my driving style going from a 2.5 with great mileage to the 3.4.

Thanks,

Steve
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2013 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Darned one thing I forgot to check when I was there. Are the cooling tubes unmolested? I was working at dealership-Berger Motor Sales in Ionia and had them do lower ball joint and alignment. The "best tech" who was there a long time worked on it. Well this educated monkey bent my coolent tubes.

Thanks,

Steve
N.E. Grand Rapids, MI

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 03-20-2013).]

smartaxel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
I don't remember mentioning the 7730 ECM. I don't know enough about it to really suggest it other then casual talking about "upgrades". If you search "darth fiero" and "7730" I think you'll find a good thread on it . Not sure how it'd help gas mileage. From a service standpoint, I'd probably leave it with the Fiero Factory chip since it'd like a regular 2.8 to any service stations.

Cooling tubes were both good last I checked. I did replace a driver side cooling tube in one of the Fieros at some point, and it was a royal pain snaking it in the front suspension area. I dont recall if it was this one or not. These should be fine though.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock