Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall - Archive
  An easy "Phantom Wiper" fix that works. (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
An easy "Phantom Wiper" fix that works. by TopNotch
Started on: 08-27-2010 06:35 PM
Replies: 69
Last post by: 600racer on 03-13-2012 02:05 PM
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2010 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
I have developed a fix for the "phantom wiper" problem. You know -- you're driving down the road, and your wipers make one swipe of the windshield. Or you turn on your turn signal, and get a wiper swipe.
You may have already read about it in this thread.
My fix requires no soldering or dis-assembly of anything. You just connect one wire from my little box to one of the wires on the connector to your delay wiper assembly with a clamp-on splicer, and connect the other to an existing screw. In 5 minutes or less, your problem is solved.

To see exactly what is involved in installing one of these, I have made up a web page of instructions here.

I have 15 of these made up so far. If you would like one, Paypal $15 to me at me(at)patswayne(dot)com (if you're in the USA). Or PM me to make other arrangements.

Forum member jscott1 (whose car has a bad case of "phantom wipers") has been sent one of these for evaluation. If you'd like to wait for his results before getting one, that will be OK.

Edit: 13 sold, 2 left of this batch.

[This message has been edited by TopNotch (edited 09-01-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Joe 1320

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2010 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe 1320Click Here to visit Joe 1320's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe 1320Direct Link to This Post
Paypal sent for one. Forgot to put in the message space what the payment is for but I guess you'll figure it out.

------------------
Competition Yellow 84 2.5 Bone stock right down to electrical gremlins.
87 328 GTB replica.

Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2010 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
I'll take #3. Paypal Sent.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2010 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post
I want one. Great invention.
Now what part of this is the real paypal address? me(at)patswayne(dot)com

Spoon

------------------
Two yeast spent their entire life "about 2 days" discussing what the purpose of life could be and not once did they even come close to the fact that they were making champagne. Quoted by: Unknown

hetterbr

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2010 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hetterbrSend a Private Message to hetterbrDirect Link to This Post
P.M. sent

TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2010 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

I want one. Great invention.
Now what part of this is the real paypal address? me(at)patswayne(dot)com

Spoon

Replace (at) and (dot) with @ and .
I don't want spam robots emailing me. They would if I used an actual email address.

[This message has been edited by TopNotch (edited 08-28-2010).]

Joe 1320

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2010 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe 1320Click Here to visit Joe 1320's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe 1320Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

Replace (at) and (dot) with @ and .
I don't want spam robots emailing me. They would if I used an actual email address.

big time. once you post a valid email address prepare your mailbox to be flooded with spam.
------------------
Competition Yellow 84 2.5 Bone stock right down to electrical gremlins.
87 328 GTB replica.

[This message has been edited by Joe 1320 (edited 08-28-2010).]

flimbob

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2010 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for flimbobSend a Private Message to flimbobDirect Link to This Post
Payment sent
Deac86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2010 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Deac86GTSend a Private Message to Deac86GTDirect Link to This Post
In for one. Paypal sent.
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2010 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
in for one as well. PP sent.

------------------
Cliff's 610th Positive Feedback Giver.
#12 NYFOC Member
In recent times, the custom aftermarket car/automobile roadwheel has become a status symbol. These wheels are often incorrectly referred to as "rims". The term "rim" is incorrect because the rim is only the outer portion of a wheel (where the tire is mounted )

CarverToo

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2010 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarverTooSend a Private Message to CarverTooDirect Link to This Post
I'm interested; Still have one available? I'll Paypal you $15 as soon as hear back!

Thanks,
Rob

[This message has been edited by CarverToo (edited 08-29-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2010 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
Still plenty available, and I have parts to make more.
daddyengineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2010 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daddyengineerSend a Private Message to daddyengineerDirect Link to This Post
I just sent you a paypal, let me know if you didn't get it.

------------------
Scott

fklucznik

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2010 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fklucznikClick Here to visit fklucznik's HomePageSend a Private Message to fklucznikDirect Link to This Post
I'm interested and will pay $15 for one. Will paypal you soon as you PM me your email. Thanks.

Your timing is good, I was just about to install a kill switch off the fuse block to fix mine. Like your idea better.
Fiero Tom

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2010 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero TomSend a Private Message to Fiero TomDirect Link to This Post
Will paypal you soon as you PM me your email.
wylde3

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2010 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wylde3Send a Private Message to wylde3Direct Link to This Post
PayPal has been sent. I sure hope this fixes mine. Wipers come on every time I use the signals, gets so annoying.
Fiero Tom

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2010 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero TomSend a Private Message to Fiero TomDirect Link to This Post
One for me. Paypal sent.
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2010 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
All modules purchased over the weekend are in the mail now. Those purchased today will be in the mail tomorrow.
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2010 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
Still 4 left of the current batch.
hye_4_life

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2010 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hye_4_lifeSend a Private Message to hye_4_lifeDirect Link to This Post
PM sent.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2010 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post
"PM" me your email address and I will take one via paypal. Sounds like a good idea. Mine seems to be getting worse.

Spoon

------------------
Two yeast spent their entire life "about 2 days" discussing what the purpose of life could be and not once did they even come close to the fact that they were making champagne. Quoted by: Unknown

PFF
System Bot
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2010 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
I received mine yesterday. Going to install it tonight.....stay tuned.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2010 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Okay I got around to installing mine. I had a severe case of phantom wipe. With each and every turn signal I would get a wipe. So I got the module as a beta tester.

Shipping was super fast.

Packaging was excellent.

Instructions were well written and very detailed.

The module was well built and the inclusion of the crimp connector was nice. Some don't like crimp connectors and you don't have to use it, but in this non-critical application I think it's fine.

Tools needed are minimal, just a 7 mm socket and a set of pliers for the crimp connector.

It really did only take 5 minutes or less.

Results...

For me a definite improvement. I still get an occasional phantom wipe, but it went from 100% to something less than 20%. My delay board must really be in bad shape and I should replace it, but for less severe cases this should clear it up to where you never get the phantom wipe.
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2010 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

For me a definite improvement. I still get an occasional phantom wipe, but it went from 100% to something less than 20%. My delay board must really be in bad shape and I should replace it, but for less severe cases this should clear it up to where you never get the phantom wipe.

Thanks for trying it on your severe case wipers. I'm glad to know it helped.
You may want to contact Whodeanie about a new board. He has a couple that were given to him to sell to raise money for Robbie (robsfieros).
jscott1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2010 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Okay.... Thanks for allowing me to beta test the unit.

It is a very nice improvement to the stock setup to eliminate a common Fiero annoyance.
fklucznik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2010 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fklucznikClick Here to visit fklucznik's HomePageSend a Private Message to fklucznikDirect Link to This Post
Received mine yesterday...installed today...fixed an anoying problem I've lived w/ for 5 yrs.

Thanks.
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2010 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
Got mine installed, here's my report.

Took all of 5 minutes to install. Directions were easy to follow and pictures were excellent. I drove the car around town for 2 hours and used the signals every chance I could. I tilted the wheel multiple times, even took it out on the highway and engaged the cruise.

ZERO PHANTOM WIPES!!!

Now my issue wasn't as bad as Jscott had, but I would rate it as moderate, and it was annoying enough that I didn't drive the car sometimes. I would now feel comfortable declaring it solved. The only issue I see is that the intermittent function is a bit choppy at the onset, but that was spelled out in the directions and it's a very minor tradeoff for the benefit received. I would rate this little mod in the top 5 things I've ever done to make my Fiero more pleasant to drive, and probably the single best value for the dollar spent.

Sooooo....if you have any reservations about ordering this little doohickey, don't. I hereby award it the coveted "Frizlefrak Seal of Approval".

Thanks Top Notch....well done.
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2010 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
Two of my customers reported that the modules didn't work, but instead made their wipers go all the time. Both of them had the same symptom before installing the module -- The low and high speeds were the same. If you have this symptom, the module probably won't work for you.
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2010 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
Bump, PM/$$ sent....
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2010 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

Bump, PM/$$ sent....

Both received. The unit will go out tomorrow.
If anyone else wants one, let me know, and I'll make more. The unit going to skuzzbomer is the last one already made.
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2010 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
Money has been sent.
Thank you
Tom

------------------
1984 Indy Pace car #64 Parade car #4 1985 Fiero GT 4speed
1986 Fiero GT 1997 Supercharged GTP
2005 Cobalt with a twist

FieroNews~Boots~Bag's~Walle ts~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~Download the Fieronews Catalog HERE~

PFF
System Bot
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2010 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
I made 4 more of these last night, and took them to today's [url=http://gafiero.org/]Georgia Fiero Club{/url] meeting. I sold 3 of them, and installed two of those myself. Both worked fine. The 4th one is available for sale now.
(ps. I gave club members a discount.)
hetterbr

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2010 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hetterbrSend a Private Message to hetterbrDirect Link to This Post
I received my package yesterday. It took about 10 minutes to install. The instructions were well written and the pictures made it easy to install.

I drove the car around last night for about an hour and would have expected a few phantom wipes, but there were none.

This seems to have solved that problem. now on to some others.

thanks, I am very happy with this item.
BobJones97

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2010 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobJones97Send a Private Message to BobJones97Direct Link to This Post
Payment sent! Thanks!

Mark
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2010 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
I got this when he first put them up for sale. the directions were fantastic! Just remember you have to have the fan plugged in for it to work. ( I took mine all the way out to clean it...and it was spotless already inside there ). I havn't had a phantom wipe since. If you're a person who thinks '' man thats simple...bet I could make one myself "...you're probably right...but for this cheap with a complete ready to go product...just buy it trust me...you wont regret it. I only wish it had been available to save my windshield ( its all burnt to hell now ). If I ever buy another fiero..and I will...this will be one of my first purchases.

------------------
Cliff's 610th Positive Feedback Giver.
#12 NYFOC Member
In recent times, the custom aftermarket car/automobile roadwheel has become a status symbol. These wheels are often incorrectly referred to as "rims". The term "rim" is incorrect because the rim is only the outer portion of a wheel (where the tire is mounted )

skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2010 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
Bought it, it arrived the day after being sent out, installed it (literally took longer to locate my 7mm ratchet than to install it).

Been driving for two days now and haven't had a single phantom swipe. It does work exactly as described - only thing is, I seem to have lost my "very low" setting on my delay wipers. They default to the mid-low setting when you turn them on.

However, that is to be expected because of how the whole thing functions. All in all, its a great product and it'll save you money in the long run if you buy good wiper blades (a single blade costs more than the box in my case, so its kind of a no-brainer now that I know how well it works).

In case you haven't gotten the message yet, it works - its worth it.
fklucznik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fklucznikClick Here to visit fklucznik's HomePageSend a Private Message to fklucznikDirect Link to This Post
free bump!
Seanpaul

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanpaulSend a Private Message to SeanpaulDirect Link to This Post
I need one. if you still have some PM me. thanks.
Mirriador

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 05:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MirriadorSend a Private Message to MirriadorDirect Link to This Post
pm sent
Mirriador

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MirriadorSend a Private Message to MirriadorDirect Link to This Post

Mirriador

39 posts
Member since Nov 2009
paiment sent
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave