Started on: 06-05-2008 11:14 PM
Replies: 85
Last post by: Robs Fieros on 09-17-2009 07:06 AM
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2008 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
For those that don't know, in my free time I transport cars around the country. I pretty much limit my transports to what I can accomplish in a weekend. In some cases, I'll go pick a car up, bring it to my shop and deliver it the next weekend or at an agreed upon time and place. I try to not pick up or deliver over 600 miles any direction from Lexington, Kentucky. Notice the operative word "try" there are exceptions to every rule. I have transported to or from both coasts, up to the US, Canadian border and to the Gulf of Mexico.

So, if you can live with my limitations and want a vehicle transported. I have the equipment to do that. I have a Dodge Cummins powered truck with a custom built car hauler, I can transport two Fieros at one time, if I need to tow a third, I can do that but, those opportunities are rare. I can provide a list of references to anyone that wants it.

You can contact me through PM, I check Pennocks on a daily basis. Yep, I'm hooked, I've got eight notchback Fieros here.

Ron
aka: blackrams

Edited to add: I've had a bunch of folks contact me about transports that I simply don't have the time to do. I can only transport vehicles on the weekend, that includes holiday weekends. Several folks have asked me to transport vehicles greater than 600 miles from Lexington, KY. Folks, I'd love to help you all out and on occasion, I will if I can but, the truth is, I can only travel so far on a normal weekend. I've pushed myself up to 1200 miles in one day but, the honest truth is, that's too far to be safe. Would I do it again, only if I have the time to do it safely. After all, you do want your car to get there in one piece don't you.

On long hauls, I will frequently travel to the pick up point, load the car, return to my shop and deliver the car on a following weekend but, that's got to be within my capability. As an example, I can't get to the Gulf of Mexico in Texas and return in a weekend. My friend and buddy Jake travels with me frequently, he can only go about 400 miles before he has to find some grass to pee on. Jake will not share the driving duties, I've tried to teach him to drive but, he likes to hang his head out the window, the wind noise and slobber blowing back in keeps me from sleeping.

BTW, I also transport other vehicles inaddition to Fieros. Just wanted to make sure we were clear on what I am capable of doing and what I simply can't do. Happy Fieroing.

Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 06-13-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2008 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Ron has hauled 2 of my Fieros with no problems at all. One was several years ago, from Va to Ala. The most recent was a couple of months ago from Md to Ark. Everything he promised/quoted is exactly the way it played out, and he will usually go out of his way to make the transport work out best for both parties.
Don

------------------
http://www.cafepress.com/pffshop
84 se auto-supposedly sold.
84 se 4 spd
88 4 cyl 5 spd
84 Indy #1578
84 Indy #1656

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Ron has hauled 2 of my Fieros with no problems at all. One was several years ago, from Va to Ala. The most recent was a couple of months ago from Md to Ark. Everything he promised/quoted is exactly the way it played out, and he will usually go out of his way to make the transport work out best for both parties.
Don

Don,
Thanks for the kind comments. All I do is try to keep my word on what and how I do things. The client will know up front the cost, the pick up date, the delivery date and the condition of the car upon arrival for pickup. They know how I secure the vehicle and load the car. After doing this for a while, I've transported quite a few Fieros that were purchased sight unseen except for photos. Photos don't always tell the whole story. If I see something, the client is the first call I make to ensure they know what they are buying. Sometimes, not always but, there have been a few surprises that had to be worked out before I completed loading. Overall, I believe you will find that I have not broken my word to anyone and that I have provided a quality service above that of most transporters. Thanks again.

Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 06-06-2008).]

Acesurfer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AcesurferClick Here to visit Acesurfer's HomePageSend a Private Message to AcesurferDirect Link to This Post
good work rams. If you have any people that are farther then that distance please send them my way. Thanks
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Acesurfer:

good work rams. If you have any people that are farther then that distance please send them my way. Thanks

Be happy to Ace. As I indicated, I do this as a sideline to a normal job. So, if it has to be done on other than a weekend, I'll let you know.

Ron
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2008 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
OK, headed to Chicago with two Fieros on Saturday, 21st of June. Anyone have anything they need hauled south?

Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 06-08-2008).]

MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkDirect Link to This Post
Nothing right now, but I just want to say nice job. I don't have a truck and trailer myself... and I don't really want to buy one for the occasional Fiero getting...

Do you have a ballpark of charges like $0.60/per mile or is it just by job? Again, sweet that you are doing this!

-Brian
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
I appreciate the bump and comments.

With the cost of fuel, the price has been going up with every fuel increase. I quit giving quotes based on requests three and four weeks out because the price has risen so fast. Now I tell folks, when you are ready to transport your car. We can talk seriously about cost. I try to keep things as simple as possible. I generally price/quote based on what Mapquest says on mileage as so much per loaded mile. In that I can haul two Fieros I give a price break for miles where I have both on board, the bigger carriers don't do that. Also, if there are toll roads, the client/customer pays or reimbuses for tolls, having more that two axles, can get a bit pricey in some areas.

Ron
opm2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2008 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post

Ron has hauled clear across the nation for me. I've got to say he does a first class job.

We recently installed a couple of extra tiedown anchors, Fiero specific.

His trailer easily handles two Fieros. And it has the ability to carry a third car on a tag-along dolly (not shown, but look at the real estate).

David Breeze

------------------

Pantera Rebody Kits

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2008 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for posting the pics Dave. Really emphasizes to me that I have gotta get some hub caps for that trailer.

Needs more tie downs also, you can never have too many tie downs.

BTW, the dark circle on the back of the trailer is where the built in dolly goes, I don't like to carry it unless needed.

Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 06-09-2008).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2008 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

blackrams

31842 posts
Member since Feb 2003

Originally posted by blackrams:
OK, headed to Chicago with two Fieros on Saturday, 21st of June. Anyone have anything they need hauled south?

Ron

Just a quick bump back to the top, hoping to find something that needs to be headed south from Chicago vicinity.
If not, well, that's why it's a lonely and less traveled road.

Ron
PFF
System Bot
reapermedic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2008 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reapermedicSend a Private Message to reapermedicDirect Link to This Post
I can also vouch for Ron and his transporting. Everything went exactly as stated it would.

Ron, you won't be alone for the trip, you still have Jake eventhough he won't take a turn driving.

Emile
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by reapermedic:

I can also vouch for Ron and his transporting. Everything went exactly as stated it would.

Ron, you won't be alone for the trip, you still have Jake even though he won't take a turn driving.

Emile

Emile,
Thanks for the kind words. Had almost forgotten about hauling that Fiero for you. Did you ever get that ride on the road? Had a lot of potential as I remember. Anyway, thanks again. BTW, Jake still won't drive, all he wants to do is lay down in the back seat.

Still looking for that load coming south it anyone has something.

Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 06-10-2008).]

Fiero Owner

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero OwnerSend a Private Message to Fiero OwnerDirect Link to This Post
Do you cross the border and bring cars into Canada or just bring them to the border? It cost me a little over $2500 I think it was, last year to bring my 88GT from Tennessee to Nova Scotia.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Owner:

Do you cross the border and bring cars into Canada or just bring them to the border? It cost me a little over $2500 I think it was, last year to bring my 88GT from Tennessee to Nova Scotia.

I have not attempted to cross the border, (afraid they won't let me back in) But I have transported one Fiero that ended up in Canada. FieroSound had me haul his Indy, I met him in Butte, MT where we transferred the car to his trailer. It never touched the ground, off of mine onto his. You are very welcome to discuss his experience and how the transport went from his perspective with him.

That transport was a bit of a stretch for me, I had the time/vacation to burn from my normal or regular job. Depending on where you want a car delivered, I have no problem with meeting someone at the border. Haven't tried crossing, I've heard to many stories about folks getting stuck at border crossings and honestly, I just can't afford the time. If you have something you would like transported and the ability to meet me at a border crossing, I'm game, depending on which border crossing we're talking about.

I won't try to feed you a line on this, some transports are simply easier and more cost effective if done by the big transporters. Though I believe I provide a superior service, security and quality, there are some areas that I just can't compete.

Ron
gofast250

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-11-2008 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gofast250Send a Private Message to gofast250Direct Link to This Post
anyone transport fieros is Califorina
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2008 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gofast250:

anyone transport fieros is Califorina

As in, to, from, within California? The question is a little confusing. But, the answer for me, is California is a bit out of my normal operating area. But, I'm sure that there is someone within the Golden State that transports.

Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 01-02-2009).]

Acesurfer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2008 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AcesurferClick Here to visit Acesurfer's HomePageSend a Private Message to AcesurferDirect Link to This Post
for the guy in california I would suggest looking for a large business car transport for out that way because anything coming from our way is going to be way too expensive for what is being done due to gas prices and such. And just fyi for the international fiero transport request... I would also research a big transport company because there is too much of a hassle for us small businesses to do that kind of work.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2008 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Bump, I'm still looking for a load going south from Chicago. Hopefully the destination is within about 500 miles of Lexington, KY. If you've got anything, this is a good time to get a lower price. The closer the destination is to my route from Chicago to Lexington, the cheaper the price.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2008 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Bump, I'm still looking for a load going south from Chicago. Hopefully the destination is within about 600 miles of Lexington, KY. If you've got anything, this is a good time to get a lower price. The closer the destination is to my route from Chicago to Lexington, the cheaper the price.

Please see amended/first or opening post to this thread.

Ron
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2008 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

blackrams

31842 posts
Member since Feb 2003

For those that don't know, in my free time I transport cars around the country. I pretty much limit my transports to what I can accomplish in a weekend. In some cases, I'll go pick a car up, bring it to my shop and deliver it the next weekend or at an agreed upon time and place. I try to not pick up or deliver over 600 miles any direction from Lexington, Kentucky. Notice the operative word "try" there are exceptions to every rule. I have transported to or from both coasts, up to the US, Canadian border and to the Gulf of Mexico.

So, if you can live with my limitations and want a vehicle transported. I have the equipment to do that. I have a Dodge Cummins powered truck with a custom built car hauler, I can transport two Fieros at one time, if I need to tow a third, I can do that but, those opportunities are rare. I can provide a list of references to anyone that wants it.

You can contact me through PM, I check Pennocks on a daily basis. Yep, I'm hooked, I've got eight notchback Fieros here.

Ron
aka: blackrams

Edited to add: I've had a bunch of folks contact me about transports that I simply don't have the time to do. I can only transport vehicles on the weekend, that includes holiday weekends. Several folks have asked me to transport vehicles greater than 600 miles from Lexington, KY. Folks, I'd love to help you all out and on occasion, I will if I can but, the truth is, I can only travel so far on a normal weekend. I've pushed myself up to 1200 miles in one day but, the honest truth is, that's too far to be safe. Would I do it again, only if I have the time to do it safely. After all, you do want your car to get there in one piece don't you.

On long hauls, I will frequently travel to the pick up point, load the car, return to my shop and deliver the car on a following weekend but, that's got to be within my capability. As an example, I can't get to the Gulf of Mexico in Texas and return in a weekend. My friend and buddy Jake travels with me frequently, he can only go about 400 miles before he has to find some grass to pee on. Jake will not share the driving duties, I've tried to teach him to drive but, he likes to hang his head out the window, the wind noise and slobber blowing back in keeps me from sleeping.

BTW, I also transport other vehicles inaddition to Fieros. Just wanted to make sure we were clear on what I am capable of doing and what I simply can't do. Happy Fieroing.

Ron

PFF
System Bot
gofast250

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-13-2008 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gofast250Send a Private Message to gofast250Direct Link to This Post
I was looking for some to transport in the state of Califorina ,From northern Calif. to Central Calif.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2008 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gofast250:

I was looking for some to transport in the state of Califorina ,From northern Calif. to Central Calif.

My advice would be to check with any of the local Fiero groups in either of the two areas, someone must have the equipment to help you out even if that means you have to rent it. Good luck.

Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 06-14-2008).]

MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2008 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkDirect Link to This Post
Bump for a great service
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2008 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
Hey Ron,
If you're out along 23, 70, 71, or 75 through Ohio (Columbus/Delaware area) and need a stop along the way, feel free to contact me. I know we aren't *that* far from where you are, but we could put you up for a night if you want. Even if not stop anyway and we'll grab some chow someplace.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2008 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
I rarely turn down the opportunity for a free meal. Thanks.

Ron
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2008 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
Who said it would be free? I thought you were buyin'?
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2008 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

Who said it would be free? I thought you were buyin'?

Oh! Sorry about that, based on the previous post, I assumed it was a grab and run.

Originally posted by Taijiguy:
we'll grab some chow someplace.

Ron
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2008 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Just a self serving bump, just in case someone needs something hauled.

Ron
KennyC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2008 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KennyCSend a Private Message to KennyCDirect Link to This Post
Figured you may (or may not) find this useful info.....

check out this site: http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/haulquery.pl

Now the odds of finding a fiero on there to haul are near nil, but perhaps someone is looking for something light to be moved that you could snag and carry on the unloaded miles when setting up a haul.

If its useless then just consider this a free/friendly bump
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2008 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KennyC:

Figured you may (or may not) find this useful info.....

check out this site: http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/haulquery.pl

Now the odds of finding a fiero on there to haul are near nil, but perhaps someone is looking for something light to be moved that you could snag and carry on the unloaded miles when setting up a haul.

If its useless then just consider this a free/friendly bump

Kenny,
Thanks,
I'll take a look at it. Most of the time, my limitations (time) keep me from getting back hauls.
But, I sincerely appreciate the info.

Though I try to specialize in Fieros, I've hauled many other vehicles and items. I can handle some pretty big/heavy loads.

Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 06-27-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2008 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Kenny,
I've had three contacts from the website you provided, not sure if any of them will result in a transport but wanted to thank you publicly for the information.

Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 06-30-2008).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2008 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Bump...

Blackrams transported my fiero (the blue one) to and from the 25th without issue. Here is a pic of the rig loaded with my Fiero and the yellow Pantero.

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2008 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
I caught Blackrams and Fieroguru hard at work loading the cars for the ride home. Notice that I stood back and took pictures and insead of lending a helping hand

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2008 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Paul,
Thanks for the kind comments and the opportunity. I really enjoyed the transport and traveling with you.

Jeff,
You are an excellent supervisor, we were barely aware of your presence. You were only in the way about half the time and yet, managed to still confuse what and how we accomplished the task. Notice the 88 Formula is loaded backwards? We thought Jeff was providing ground guiding hand signals. Apparently, he had to scratch an itch.

Thanks for posting the pic. Enjoyed our conversations.

Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 07-28-2008).]

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2008 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
blackrams, you coming down to Central FL anytime soon? Two Fiero in North IL different locations (less then an hr away from each other).

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 07-28-2008).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2008 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jefrysuko:

For future reference--which of the above gentlemen is blackrams?

heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 04:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post
The one at the nose of the car. I'm sure someone had to help him get up.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
For future reference--which of the above gentlemen is blackrams?

I'm the good looking one.

Ron
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

blackrams

31842 posts
Member since Feb 2003

Originally posted by FierociousGT:

blackrams, you coming down to Central FL anytime soon? Two Fiero in North IL different locations (less then an hr away from each other).

FierociousGT,
I currently have no transports going to or from your area but, I'm sure we could work something out. I have an idea that I'll run by you via PM though.

Ron
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock