1988 Mera for Sale by Fiero-in-Paradise
Started on: 06-28-2008 01:13 AM
Replies: 37
Last post by: katatak on 08-20-2008 03:57 PM
Fiero-in-Paradise

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2008 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseDirect Link to This Post
Edit: My Craiglist ad expired, so I've readvertised it. Here's the new link:

http://honolulu.craigslist....h/cto/793072340.html

Didn't get the boat yet, but I did get a Ducati 900SS, so I really need the Mera to find a good home. Price reduced to $14,500 or best reasonable offer.

Thanks for looking!
Tom

==============

Selling my Land Toy so that I can get a Water Toy (a fishing boat)!

http://honolulu.craigslist....h/car/734794806.html

I know its a long shot, since I'm here in Honolulu, HI. I'd really like this to go to a Fiero enthusiast if possible. If there's a member here that's seriously interested in it, I'll knock off $500 (for an even $15K sale). That will help to cover about half of the shipping costs ($1,055.00) to ship it via Matson to a CA port (either Long Beach or Oakland). (At least this is the cost posted on their webpage).

Thanks!
Tom

[This message has been edited by Fiero-in-Paradise (edited 08-12-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Indyellowgt

Feedback score:    (35)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2008 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtDirect Link to This Post
Wow. Very,very nice.
Don't let the nay-sayers get to you.
That car is worth every penny.
I had the opp to get a MERA a while back for 3k (!) While nowhere in the leauge of your car,it was an 88,with CJB T-tops....

Good luck w/the sale.

-Mark
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2008 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post
With my ratty computer monitor, I can't be sure from your shot of the car's interior whether the car's transmission is an automatic or a manual, and I didn't see any reference to either in your ad's text. Please clarify which it is, automatic or manual, and if it is an automatic, do you know if it is the stock Fiero's 3-speed automatic?

Thanks.
Fiero-in-Paradise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2008 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseDirect Link to This Post
Indy: Thanks for the compliment Mark!

project 34: Good catch, I'll have to fix the ad. Yes, unfortunately it is the stock auto trans. But I'm an older guy, so auto is fine with me, especially with the traffic here on Oahu. I replaced the stock brown plastic T-shifter with a leather black shift knob off a Firebird. IMHO, makes it look a lot better.

Here are some add'l pics.

I forgot to add, sale includes a custom INDOOR car cover. These were made by Reliable Car Accessories back in the day, and made specifically for the Mera, not the Ferrari 308s. These are probably impossible to find anywhere.

Thanks for looking!
Aloha, Tom

[This message has been edited by Fiero-in-Paradise (edited 08-20-2008).]

Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2008 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
Love your car Tom. If I had the money I would add her to my collection for sure. Good luck with that sale. I am sure she will go to the right home

------------------

Indy#64~FieroNews~Boots~Bag s~Wallets~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~

project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2008 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post
Fiero-in-Paradise, thanks for your clarification re the car's transmission.

Separately, I saw no mention in your ad on craigslist or your post here on Pennock's re the presence or absence of rust. A potential buyer might be concerned about that issue when one's car is surrounded by the salt water air of the Pacific Ocean, as your Mera in Hawaii clearly would be.

Could you offer us your comments, or any pictures of your Mera's frame, for example, that you might have addressing this rust issue? I saw none in your ad.

Please be assured that I'm not simply trying to give you a rough time here, because I personally believe that life is just way, way too short for that sort of nonsense. I'm just looking to ascertain whether a potential buyer of your Hawaiian Mera would need to deal with any existing rust issues. Those potential rust issues would not be at all visible from simply looking at the exterior of your Mera.

Fiero-in-Paradise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2008 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseDirect Link to This Post
That's a great point, I'll take some pics of the undercarriage and areas under the wheels and frame. I've only had this car for a bit under a year. In that time, I've only put about 500 miles on it. I bought the car through an intermediary car dealer in Honolulu, so I don't have too much info on the previous owner. I've pulled all of the wheels to inspect the brakes, hoses, etc., and did not see any rust. I've also been under the front and back, no noticeable rust.

But you're absolutely right, pics of the undercarriage would be helpful, I'll work on getting those taken/posted.

Since I've had the car, its been stored in the garage, with its indoor cover. I think the p/o took care of it as well. Here in HI, the real killer of cars is the heat, sun, and UV rays. The original paint is in excellent condition, no oxidation anywhere. And in the interior, the "surrounds" on the aux gauges, the radio, and the shift console are in excellent condition, there is absolutely no buldging out along the edges (like on my 86). The headliner is clean, tight, and has no sagging areas. The dash board, along with the speaker covers, are like brand new, no cracking or discoloration. The rubber around the doors is in such good condition, when you shut the door with the windows up, it still makes that air-tight sound. LOL...the car has led a pampered 20 years of life.

Thank you for the recommendation.
Tom
Fiero-in-Paradise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2008 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseDirect Link to This Post

Fiero-in-Paradise

540 posts
Member since May 2006
Some add'l "undercover" pics. There is some surface rust in the front area, but nothing that can be easily knocked off and re-painted. Guess I'll have to add that to my do-list. Overall, however, not too bad for a car that's lived for 20 years here in Hawaii.

Driver door upper hinge,no rust.

Radiator area is pretty clean, no rust that I can spot.

Here's some pics under the front, undercarriage, and rear (I only took off the left front and rear tires). The undercarriage has areas of red overspray, I'm told that for one reason or another, that this was common on the Meras.

No rust on the springs.

There's hardly any rust even on the muffler clamp!

Pic of the car cover I mentioned earlier:

Thanks for looking!
Tom

project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2008 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post
Thanks very much for going through the effort of posting the pictures. I haven't seen any follow-up posts from others yet, but your pictures strongly suggest to me at least that any rust on that car is minimal. Accordingly, the pictures you've posted are much appreciated, and the more the better, especially since few of us will be close enough to your location to "just stop by" to see the car!

Separately, please pardon my next questions if their answers all seem obvious to you, but they're not all obvious to me:
  1. At the Department of Motor Vehicles, what does one register a Mera as, a Fiero?

2. How does one handle insuring this car adequately? It's clearly worth more than the equivalent non-Mera Fiero would be. What documentation does one then need to present an insurance company that will persuade them to cover the owner in full for the Mera if it's totaled, as opposed to reimbursing the owner only for the value of a non-Mera Fiero that's been totaled?

3. Your car certainly looks like a real Mera to me, but how would a person unfamiliar with your car actually know that it's a Mera (as opposed to some kit car)? More specifically, how could one verify the statement in your craigslist ad, that "This car is the 44th Mera built in 1988, and the 132nd built all together"? Is there a serial number or some other reliable identification that somehow proves the car is a bona fide Mera?
Thank you in advance for your patience.
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2008 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
#1 It is registered as a Fiero. In this case an 88.

#2 GET AN APPRAISIAL. Insure it as a classic car. This is an agreed value that usually has some restrictionsthat are mainly not a daily go getter.

#3 The body work sounds much more solid than a fiberglass knock off, very solid sounding when knocked on and not hollow. Attaching points of the rear deck lid hinge points are very unique and identifiable.
If still present there is a sticker on the underside of the rear deck lid that has the info in question hand written on it.
Rodney Dickman has the Mera Registery and has a list of all the donor cars that recieved the modifications.

[This message has been edited by Indiana_resto_guy (edited 07-01-2008).]

Fiero-in-Paradise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2008 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseDirect Link to This Post
When I registered the car, the VIN number corresponds to a 1988 Fiero Formula. That's whats printed on the registration and owner's forms.

Best to work with one of the insurance companies that specialize in classic cars. To be honest, I have not done so, its just insured right now as a regular Fiero. My car is always locked, alarmed and covered in the garage, and it only goes out for a ride during early morning weekend hours when traffic is nil. Still yet, if I were planning to keep it, this would be near the top of the to-do list.

Several ways to confirm a real Mera. Many Mera owners have completely re-badged their cars with Ferrari markings, but there are still ways to tell.

All Meras will have this tag on the left, inside decklid. It specifies the VIN, build code (#8044), and color. The number 8 indicates the year, 1988, and 044 is the number of the car. Those built in 1987 will have numbers like 70xx.

The most obvious tell-tale will be the block letters on the decklid. Mine still has the "MERA" chrome letters, although many Mera owners have taken these off and replaced it with the chromed Ferrari badge. If I were to keep the car, I would never remove these letters. Just adds to the mystique of the car!

Another way to tell a real Mera are the funky Ford reverse lights placed on each side of the license plate.

The Meras were originally equipped with electric power side mirrors and a unique control, as seen here. However, many Meras are missing the power mirrors and have been replaced with manual mirrors, leaving only the control. Sadly, this is the case with my car, one of the previous owners mounted manual mirrors. I can only suspect that they sold the power mirrors for money.

Electric Vitaloni side mirrors for the Mera are VERY rare. There was a set of used ones on e-bay a couple of weeks ago, the starting bid was $999.00! There is a set of power Vitaloni mirrors on e-bay right now, brand new, that would be a near-perfect replacement. I may bid on these...depending on how high the bidding goes. Right now, I just have other part priorities than mirrors.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...dZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Finally, the round turn signal and brake lights were cast/molded specifically for the Mera, and are stamped with "MERA 1". In the two pics below, you can just barely make out the lettering near the bottom of the lens.

Turn Signal

Brake Light

Thanks for the questions! Please feel free to ask away. Since this is a high-priced sale, I certainly do not mind disclosing as much info and pics as anyone would like.
Aloha,
Tom

PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2008 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
Do you still have the original MERA letters and the nose badge?
Fiero-in-Paradise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2008 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseDirect Link to This Post
Previous owner(s) replaced the nose Mera badge with a Ferrari emblem. The only original Mera badging I have is the small MM design logo (about 1" x 2.5") that was (probably) stuck on the door handles to cover the Fiero tab. Looks like its made from some thick vinyl, since its flexible. If I recall, its black letters on white background. I found it at the bottom of the glove box when I was first cleaning out the car.

Thanks.
Tom
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2008 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero-in-Paradise:
Several ways to confirm a real Mera....

The most obvious tell-tale will be the block letters on the decklid. Mine still has the "MERA" chrome letters, although many Mera owners have taken these off and replaced it with the chromed Ferrari badge. If I were to keep the car, I would never remove these letters.

Just adds to the mystique of the car!
By the way, and wholeheartedly,
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2008 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post
Fiero-in-Paradise, could you provide:
  1. The tire sizes currently on the car, front and rear?
  2. Any close-up, side-view pictures of the tire versus tire opening gaps on your `88 Mera (often said to be quite sizable on non-Mera `88 Fieros)?
  3. A more quantitative assessment of the extent of the "spider webbing" you've referred to in your craigslist ad as "very slight" (e.g., how many instances of it, and approximately how many inches in diameter for each)?
  4. Your assessment of which, if any, of the Vitaloni mirrors on this website, http://www.vitaloni.com , would be a good replacement for the missing power mirrors you mentioned?
Of course, if I were nearby enough to quickly "just stop by," I'd simply ask to do that and see things for myself rather than pester you with questions like some of these, but roughly 4,200 miles separate us, approximately 60% of which are accounted for by that minor impediment to interstate driving known as the Pacific Ocean.

In any case, I'm very pleased that I'm obtaining from you quite the additionl education re Meras.

Out of curiosity, however, where did you find out about some of the Mera details you've volunteered, like the issue with the power side view mirrors you'd mentioned? I believe your comments about the issue with the power mirrors; you'd have little reason to invent them, so please don't misunderstand the intent of my question (which would be easy enough for anyone to do with "text-only" communication).

However, I've just not seen informational detail like that re Meras on Rodney's Dickman's on-line "Mera Registry," for example, nor have I found detailed information on issues like that even in obscure publications like the 4th Quarter, 1999, issue of Fiero Owner magazine, which I know (because I have a copy) featured pictures of Meras on its front and rear covers, along with 13 consecutive pages of articles about Meras in that issue. Where have you learned these informational details about Meras, Fiero-in-Paradise?
Fiero-in-Paradise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2008 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseDirect Link to This Post
Tires: P/O installed Goodrich 245-60-15s all around. Meras originally came with 245-50VR15 Goodyear GT Gatorbacks on the front, and 265-50VR15s on the rear. Goodyear no longer produces tires in these sizes, and there's only one or two companies that currently do, and they need to be special ordered (at least to Hawaii). The 245-60s are an "okay" compromise. They follow the shape of the wheel well nicely, but they sit a bit taller and I do have some rubbing on the inside of the front wheel wells on tight turns (so I avoid tight turns).

I recently had to change the front right tire. I had a shimmy at all speeds and couldn't figure out what was causing it. Finally I discovered the tread area had gone bad, and there was an area that had buldged out (apparently the tread had separated from the casing and air was going in-between, causing the buldging...and the shimmy). Found a local company that had the Goodrich in stock, so I just replaced it with the same size. Now the car handles great. If money (and more important, time) was no object, I'd completely re-do the suspension..lower the Mera by 1/2", install poly, new shocks, etc. and go back to the original sized tires.

Here's a nice side view of the car I recently took while cruising the east side of Oahu. Tire tread to top of wheel well measures about 2.5-2.75". The look is very similar to Indiana_resto_guy's pic above (and I have to add, that is one REALLY nice-looking Mera!). The spacing is comparable to 88GTs, since I also have one w/ T-tops. (THAT toy is where I really want to do the lowered suspension mods.)

Body Imperfections: There are only three areas on the car that would require professional help. But here in HI, I estimate these would still cost me at least $1K to fix, probably more closer to $2K I bet. I've circled the areas on this larger pix. The spider webbing near the corners of the light covers is most likely attributable to the stress on the headlight cover hindges. Those areas probably should be reinforced underneath before fixing/repainting.

Driver side spider web (pix taken looking forward):

Passenger side spider web (pix taken looking back):

Front left tip of body. Car was like this when I bought it, so I just touched it up so that at least the gray primer was not showing. The injury was probable caused by one of the kids working at the car dealership moving it around. With the raised front fenders on a Mera, unless you're a tall person, it does take some getting used to that "blind" area.

I need to take some add'l pics of the mirrors, so I'll address that and your other questions a bit later.

If any other Mera owners would like to jump in with comments, please do!

Thanks!
Tom
Fiero-in-Paradise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2008 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseDirect Link to This Post

Fiero-in-Paradise

540 posts
Member since May 2006
As for your questions about the mirrors: If you look at the original Mera brochures and other old articles (and the pic of Indiana_resto_guy's Mera above), the side mirrors were the "flag" type, and I'm about 99% sure they were powered Vitaloni "Tornado" models. When I bought my Mera, they were equipped with the Vitaloni "Pronto" model, very similar to the Tornado but manual. I did not like them for two reasons. One, the passenger side mirror was flat, making it hard to see that notorius blind spot common on all Meras. Second, no matter what I did, these mirrors vibrated while driving, making it difficult to look at. I don't have a pix of my old Pronto mirrors, but if you do a search on e-bay (VITALONI PRONTO), you'll see what they look like.

One of the reasons for the vibration is because the mounting holes on the Proto are non-adjustable. On one hole, you can use a bolt/nut that will go through the fiberglass AND through the original mirror hole in the metal door frame, and can be tighten down. The front hole, however, can only be tighten down to the fiberglass skin. When I bought the car, this front screw was mickey-moused with a plastic drywall anchor.

So I switched out the mirrors with a used set of Vitaloni "Bravo" model I bought on e-bay. Here's what they look like on my car:

Driver side:

Passenger side:

I like these mirrors for two reasons: One, they don't vibrate, because the base is made such that both of the mounting holes are adjustable, and thus, both bolts can shoot straight through the skin and the original mirror holes on metal door frame, and thus can be tightened down. Second, the passenger mirror is convex, thus allowing a much better view of the blind spot. When I installed these, I used stainless steel bolts, washers and nuts.

However, I dislike the Bravo model for three reasons as well. One, the ball/sockets on mine are worn, and there is no way to adjust them to make them tighter. So although the base is on very securely onto the door, the mirrors are fairly easy to move around (like if someone walks by and brushed against it.) Secondly, the mirrors REALLY stick out, at least 2" further than a flag-type mirror (see my pic in my previous post above). Since the Mera is already about 4" wider than a regular Fiero, I have to be careful on narrow streets. And lastly, the mirrors sit a little too low. Because of the mounting holes, I don't think any of the current Vitaloni mirrors (like the turbo and baby turbos) will look right, they will just sit too low compared to the top of the door.

As mentioned above, there is a set of NOS Vitaloni Tornado powered mirrors on e-bay right now. I think the bidding is running about $260, but I'm sure this will skyrocket as the auction gets closer to the end. These are perfect for the Mera, flag-type so they actually sit higher than the top of the door, and the passenger side is convex. You will almost never find a good, used PAIR of powered Tornado mirrors, and finding a pair that's NOS...no kidding, they must have found these sitting next to the Holy Grail. I will probably bid on these unless the bidding goes nuts...which I think it will.

Most of my knowledge on Meras, and trust me, I am no expert, comes from reading other posts and "talking" with other Mera owners via e-mail. When I bought the car, I was cleaning it out and in the front compartment under some junk, there was a manila envelope that contained copies of Rodney's Mera newsletters, magazine articles, newspaper articles, Corporate Concepts sales window sticker, Robert Bracey letters, Ferrari part order forms, old Fiero Store catalogs, and sales brochures. I consider myself lucky; although all are just black and white copies, they're a wealth of info. Of course, I will include all of this stuff in the sale.

One of the mods that I cannot really confirm are the louvered sail panels. I have only heard that the original sail panels were cast/molded in one piece and were for looks only. I also heard that a couple of owners took these sail panels off, and very carefully cut some of the slots out. On my Mera, there are slots in the sail panels, which is a good thing especially on the passenger side. It allows the driver at least a little peak at the proverbial Mera blind spot.

Here's a pix from the driver's seat, looking back towards the blind spot.

And here's a pix of the driver's side (you can barely see through the panel slots, except the first and last 2-3 "slots" which are not cut through).

Again, I haven't been able to confirm whether or not original Mera sail panels were slotted or not. Perhaps other Mera owners can chime in?

Finally, here's a pix of the installed NRG short steering wheel adaptor. The car came with that steering wheel, but with the Momo adaptor, the steering wheel was having a too-close relationship with my beer belly. The NRG adaptor is great, about 1.75" shorter than the Momo adaptor.

Thanks for looking!
Tom

Fiero-in-Paradise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2008 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseDirect Link to This Post

Fiero-in-Paradise

540 posts
Member since May 2006
project34: I forgot to add, its perfectly okay to refer to me by my name, it would save you some typing:=)

Thanks.
Tom
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2008 04:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
Tom,

The sail panel slots are factory original as best I can determine. They exist on both 87 and 88 Meras. You are also very correct about the numerous Mera identifying features and I may add a couple more to your list. The front deck lid is smooth on a factory Mera. Many of the 308/328 kits have ridges formed into the front deck lid near the forward edge. One other interesting feature that I have noted on Meras may not be a real identifier, but it is on all three of mine. The driver's side sail panel has a slightly larger space at the top than does the other sail panel. This may not always be true but it is common on all three of mine (T-Top, Sun roof, and hard top).

WRT mirrors, the original Vitaloni power mirrors are quite difficult or impossible to find. I know where one set of them is on a 308 kit car, but I would have to buy the vehicle to get them. If you want to go to a manual typ mirror, the Baby Turbos area decent substitute.

The joystick controller is also a good Mera tag. I have never seen them on any other Fiero. Be careful about the tail lights with the Mera stamp on the lens. I know that a number of them have showed up on kit cars. They may have been surplus ones marketed after Mera production was shut down. I actually have them on a nice 308 rebody (86 SE based).

BTW, the 265 x 50 x 15 tires fit rather well on both 87 and 88 Meras using the stock wheels (Chromadora option and stock diamond type wheels). There are at least two tire makers who still have these sizes (Cooper and Dunlop - or they did when I bought a set last year). I did lower the 88 with a Rodney lowering front ball joint and it looks nice. If I had to do it over again I mught go with a 0.5" lower istead of the 1.0". I used a Fiero Store lowering kit on the 87 and while it looks very good you really have to worry about speed bumps and driveways scraping the lower front section air dam if you do not just hit them absolutely perfectly.

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 07-05-2008).]

Fiero-in-Paradise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2008 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for that update! Well then, its probably pretty certain that the slots on the sail panel are not a mod after all.

Are the headlight doors also unique to the Mera? The Meras I've seen have those ridges all the way up, but on the kits (or mods) they are flat/smooth on about the first 3-4 ridges normally on the Mera.

You're right on the tail light lenses, they're probably floating around out there on kit cars. The MERA stamp on them should only be used in conjuction with other identifiers.

That's good info on the tires. I saw them for sale at someplace on the mainland, but sheesh, the cost to ship four of them to Hawaii is like another two tires! If I were to keep it, I think I'd lower it only 1/2" with Rodney's lowering ball joints. But how would one lower the back? Cut springs?

Thanks again!
Tom

project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2008 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Are the headlight doors also unique to the Mera? The Meras I've seen have those ridges all the way up, but on the kits (or mods) they are flat/smooth on about the first 3-4 ridges normally on the Mera.

I think the headlight doors on a bona fide Mera are indeed different, based on the Mera pictures I've seen.

Separately, however, you and hnthomps have inadvertently left me a bit confused about the slots on the sail panels with this statement:

Thanks for that update! Well then, its probably pretty certain that the slots on the sail panel are not a mod after all.

More specifically, I don't understand from the photos shown so far on this thread, the construction of the Mera's rear quarter sail panel slots. You and hnthomps apparently feel the open slots are stock for a Mera, but the Mera photos I've seen elsewhere always seem to show the inner side of the Mera's rear quarter sail panels are completely opaque. That is, one could no more see to the outside of the rear quarter sail panels on a Mera than one could see to the outside through the opaque rear quarter sail panels of a third-generation, `68-`77 Corvette, for example.

Do the slots on the rear quarter sail panels of a Mera simply lead to an opaque panel? Your photo here seems to show otherwise, which is the source of my confusion:

I've no quarrel or dispute with what you gentlemen assert about the Mera's sail panels. Rather, I just don't understand your statements about the Mera's sail panels.

Viewed differently, if one were to put a camera between the Mera's sail panels and take a photograph of either sail panel, would one in fact then not see any sail panel slots, but only an opaque, unslotted, sail panel?
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2008 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post

The Mera sail panel slots open only to the outside. You are correct when you state that there is a solid opaque piece that goes from the back of the sail panel toward the engine compartment. I would take a picture of this but am currently in Baghdad and the cars are in SC.

As best I can tell, the slots are only intended to provide some visibility in what would otherwise be a blind spot. The only one I can really use is on the passenger side and I often look that way when backing up or changing lanes. That is also another marker of a potential Mera since most of the kits that I have seen are solid sail panels.

Nelson

Originally posted by project34:

I've no quarrel or dispute with what you gentlemen assert about the Mera's sail panels. Rather, I just don't understand your statements about the Mera's sail panels.

Viewed differently, if one were to put a camera between the Mera's sail panels and take a photograph of either sail panel, would one in fact then not see any sail panel slots, but only an opaque, unslotted, sail panel?

project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2008 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for your post. I think I now understand what you've both been saying about your Meras: The red sail panels shown in the photos are themselves opaque, but the slotted black "windows" are not.

While I think I understand what you are saying about the opaqueness issue, I know the following trumps any reason I've ever seen for not posting a picture of a Mera on Pennock's:

Originally posted by hnthomps:
I would take a picture of this but am currently in Baghdad and the cars are in SC.

hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2008 04:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
Your understanding is absolutely correct.

Thanks for your post. I think I now understand what you've both been saying about your Meras: The red sail panels shown in the photos are themselves opaque, but the slotted black "windows" are not.

While I think I understand what you are saying about the opaqueness issue, I know the following trumps any reason I've ever seen for not posting a picture of a Mera on Pennock's:

project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2008 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post
The Mera for which this thread was started is stunning in its appearance IMHO and presumably would be relatively easy to service because of its Fiero mechanical underpinnings. However, I've an "Uh-oh!" question that comes to my mind:

Is the 800-pound gorilla in all this the unavailability of the manufacturer's fiberglass replacement body panels that would be needed for the Mera if somebody causes severe damage to one or more of the Mera's fiberglass body panels in an accident?

ferrobi

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2008 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiDirect Link to This Post

The Mera for which this thread was started is stunning in its appearance IMHO and presumably would be relatively easy to service because of its Fiero mechanical underpinnings. However, I've an "Uh-oh!" question that comes to my mind:

Is the 800-pound gorilla in all this the unavailability of the manufacturer's fiberglass replacement body panels that would be needed for the Mera if somebody causes severe damage to one or more of the Mera's fiberglass body panels in an accident?

Pat Kalsmith has 308 molds from Custom Coachcraft that are Mera's and I'm sure there are others

Fiero-in-Paradise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2008 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the complements!

Here's some add'l pics and a few more "disclosures" at the end.

Another rear quarter pix. Its a bit hard to see, but if you notice the door gap, its nice and parallel, there's no binding whatsoever on either the driver or passenger door. IMHO, this is what separates a Mera from a 308 kit car.

Another angle of the engine bay. I did my best to clean it up, paint the strut mounts, dog bone, and air cleaner cover with high temp paint. I have the FERRARI aluminum piece from Rodney that can be attached to the top of the plenium, it goes with the sale. I haven't put it on yet since I was contemplating on having a gal make a custom piece (red anodized aluminum) engraved with "MERA 8044" for the top of the plenium.

A shot of the Chromadora rims:

A closer shot of the shift console. Nice and straight, no bulging out along the edges.

A closer shot of the aux gauges. Again, nice and straight, no bulging out along the edges.

Pic of the headliner. Its in great condition. When I bought it, there was some black gooey stuff along the edges near the pillar panels, but it was easily cleaned with lacquer thinner.

Pic of the Ferrari shoulder pads. These are almost impossible to find, since many of the vendors (like those in Hong Kong selling on e-bay) do not want to sell them for fear of being sued by Ferrari, I suppose. I got these on the so-called "Gray Market" and paid $50 bucks for the pair. They probably cost like $5 to make, if that. Crazy, I know, but it just adds that nice finishing touch.

Pic of FieroThomas' custom manual wallet, embroidered w/ "MERA". Another nice finishing touch (Thanks Tom!)

Okay, here are some add'l disclosures.

Chip on one of the rims. I think I'll try and touch it up w/ some touch-up paint this weekend.

Closeup of the driver's side door edge that was chipped when I bought it. I touched it up a bit, really hard to notice with the door closed, unless you scrutinize the car from about 6".

There's an area along the right rear bumper where the paint is cracked. I think it may be just a defect in the paint, it doesn't look like the bumber was hit on the edge. If I were to keep the car, I would have the rear bumper stripped and powder coated.

Finally, the dew wipes are shot. I'm on the wait list to get a set from DIY_Stu. These are not noticeable at all, since the Mera door skin and the interior door panel sit about 2" above where the top of a regular Fiero would sit.

Enjoy and thanks for looking!
Tom
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2008 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ferrobi:

Pat Kalsmith has 308 molds from Custom Coachcraft that are Mera's and I'm sure there are others

All I found are some inoperative links or websites. Does anyone have specific contact information that would enable one to obtain the fiberglass replacement body panels that would be needed for the Mera if somebody caused severe damage to one or more of the Mera's fiberglass body panels in an accident?

Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2008 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post

All I found are some inoperative links or websites. Does anyone have specific contact information that would enable one to obtain the fiberglass replacement body panels that would be needed for the Mera if somebody caused severe damage to one or more of the Mera's fiberglass body panels in an accident?

I have asked the same question as I need some parts. I may have to use the people in Canada that still have the ability to make some parts for the 308 kit.
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2008 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Indiana_resto_guy:

I have asked the same question as I need some parts. I may have to use the people in Canada that still have the ability to make some parts for the 308 kit.

That is a little disconcerting. My hope was that in particular, you or the other two Mera owners who've posted on this thread might already know exactly where to find replacement fiberglass Mera body panels if the originals had to be replaced after an accident.

ferrobi

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2008 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiDirect Link to This Post

That is a little disconcerting. My hope was that in particular, you or the other two Mera owners who've posted on this thread might already know exactly where to find replacement fiberglass Mera body panels if the originals had to be replaced after an accident.

http://www.automotiveforums.../member.php?u=121359

PFF
System Bot
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2008 03:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ferrobi:

http://www.automotiveforums.../member.php?u=121359

Thanks for the good-faith effort in posting the specific link above, ferrobi. If one clicks on it, an address for fibersmith appears to come up, and clicking on that yields at least one somewhat promisingly-named sub-link, "Ferrari 308 Kit Car," but clicking on that in turn simply yields some dead ends.

Thanks anyway, though, for making the effort to try to help find some fiberglass replacement body panels for Meras. Unfortunately, I'm getting the sense that actually succeeding at this may prove difficult.
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2008 05:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
Pat used to make various 308/Mera parts. His net address was http://www.fibersmith.net/ but I have not tried it in a while.

Fiero-in-Paradise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2008 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseDirect Link to This Post
Wow, this thread seems to be redirecting itself into a General Chat discussion regarding Meras!

From what I have read and heard, Ferrari is pretty adamant at chasing down companies that make Ferrari replica kits/bodies/clips/panels. A company starts advertising that its making Ferrari replica parts, and at sometime later, a cease and desist order is slapped on them, and end of said company. I'm confident that there are still bodies parts out there, and/or guys who still have molds (and yes, some are in Canada), its just that they are "underground" for the most part, and it would probably take some digging around and networking with the right forums and right people to find them. Furthermore, these companies or individuals will not freely give our information unless they're fairly certain who they are dealing with. Rather than availability, I'd be more concerned with the cost of obtaining the part and shipping it. But if you can afford a collectible car, then most likely you can afford the parts (in theory, at least).

Your concerns about getting into an unrepairable accident are somewhat valid. However, anyone that buys a car like a Mera that is in great condition will (hopefully) not be using it a daily driver. That automatically reduces your chances of getting into a severe accident drastically. I don't drive my Mera at night, and I only take it out on nice, sunny days. That reduces the chances of an accident even further. I know the areas of Honolulu where traffic sucks 24/7, and I avoid driving the Mera through those areas. If I have to park someplace, the car is never left unattended. I am the only driver. I'm pretty confident that by planning out my trips, driving responsibly, and driving with a little more vigilance than what I normally drive with, that this Mera will survive another 20 accident-free years and still look as good as it does today. Its for those reasons that collectible car insurers like Grundy offer fairly affordable rates. They understand that normally those who own nice collectible cars will take necessary driving precautions and thus, reduce the chances of getting into an accident.

If that is such a huge concern to a prospective buyer, then I would recommend buying a Mera AND a complete 308 body kit, like the one Ferrobi is selling (and BTW, that's a great price with all the goodies). Put the body kit in storage, and one can rest assurred that they will always have a replacement clip/panel. But realistically, I don't think owners of collectible cars think that way (could be wrong, though).

Thanks,
Tom
Fiero-in-Paradise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2008 06:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseDirect Link to This Post
TTT. Price reduced, see edited first post.
The_Ikon

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2008 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The_IkonClick Here to visit The_Ikon's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_IkonDirect Link to This Post
NICE car bud! We have some great cars for sale in the mall today! Bump for a nice ride!

------------------
85' Fiero 5spd notchback
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.c....&.dir=/2a9c&.src=ph

65' Karmann Ghia
http://photos.yahoo.com/the_ikon1911

Jaguar XJ8 L
Jaguar S Type R
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Ford Ranger

Fiero-in-Paradise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2008 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliment and bump!

Unfortunately timing (i.e., the economy) and distance (cost to ship) are the limiting factors. Of course I won't "give" the car away, but I'm willing to negotiate the price to offset the shipping costs.

Thanks again!
Tom
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2008 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone calculated shipping say to LA? I would be interested in knowing the shipping cost. Could fly into LA to pick it up!

Pat

Edit for my stupidity - just read the shipping costs at the begginng of this thread - Sorry.

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 08-20-2008).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock