Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall - Archive
  Re-Post - '86 GT w/SBC, Lambo and More (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Re-Post - '86 GT w/SBC, Lambo and More by Saxman
Started on: 03-21-2007 04:42 PM
Replies: 75
Last post by: Saxman on 01-03-2008 11:32 PM
Saxman

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2007 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
EDITED TO CHANGE PRICE AND DETAILS - PLEASE READ ENTIRE THREAD

I decided to re-post this since all my other posts include unnecessary info that detracts from the sale item. Links to the other posts are included, but I wanted all the information to be here at the top of the thread.

Unfortunately, I need to move this car since my wife will only let me keep two Fieros and my new muscle car. (Luckily - I will still have a V8 powered Fiero left!)

This car is in Waldorf, MD. I'm asking $4900. Please ignore any other prices in this thread. $4900 is where I am now.

Anyway, this car has so many new and improved parts that I may forget to list some, but here goes:

-7X,000 mile 86 GT w/ sunroof (that's some low miles)
-Chevy small block 350 - LM1 type engine with Edelbrock 4-Barrel and Performer intake. Engine only has 100 miles on it.
-V8 Archie Small Block Chevy conversion kit
-Electric water pump ($250)
-4-speed manual trans with new clutch, new T/O bearing, new clutch and pressure plate and a new clutch slave
-New drive shafts on both sides
-New brakes with steel braided lines
-Poly EVERYTHING underneath
-Trans has 1 solid and 1 poly mount. Engine is solid mounted.
-Lambo doors (needs a single weld on the strut connection to be completed on driver's side. Pass side is connected) (there were over $1200 new)
-Fresh purple paint with blacked out hood and trunk. Paint damage on front right from running into my jack stands (extra paint included)
-Powder coated parts underneath with lots of Por-15 on cradle and undercairage
-Gauge pod on the A-pillar for temp and oil (temp not wired to sensor yet - so I am using a mechanic gauge for now)
-Custom under-hood Sub
-Updated GM CD player included (not connected)
-Antenna shaved
-4-core Nova radiator
-Custom dual exhaust with dual cats - sounds great!
-Custom 17" wheels - Needs new rubber

This car is a blast to drive and gets lots of attention. I have not taken it to the track, but I plan to if it does not sell soon.

I still have not figured out the heating problem as the temp still goes up to 230 degrees after a long drive. I thought I had it licked by taking the coolant line off of the exhaust, but that did not fix it. I'm still playing with it, but I jsut don't have enough time.

The interior is nothing fancy, but all the parts are there. The car has no A/C or heat because of the custom front-mounted sub.

More on the Lambo hinges -- they still need adjusting, plus that one piece welded. Other than that, the doors open and close OK. If I can't sell the car, the hinges will come off because I am 6'5" and I don't like them. Too tight of an entrance for me.

If you have a question - feel free to email me. I'll post more info as I remember it.

Here are some photos - some may be duplicates from above. All trim pieces went back on the car after these photos:

This images is larger than 102400 bytes. Click to view.

Other threads on this car are at https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/078605.html and https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/076693.html . There are several other short threads with questions while I fixed this car, so just do a search under my name.

As always, I don't like surprises - so I will do my best not to surprise anyone else.

Thanks for looking!

------------------
V8 "FinIERO" Fino Kit - www.finiero.com -
'87 T-top - soon to become the new "FinIERO" (fin-'yeah-row) donor car
'86 GT V8 (for sale)
'87 GT (for sale)

[This message has been edited by Saxman (edited 07-14-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ke4mns

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2007 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ke4mnsSend a Private Message to ke4mnsDirect Link to This Post
is this car still available my nephew is interested later mark
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2007 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
No deals are finalized, so first $ gets her.
FieroFinatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2007 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFinaticClick Here to visit FieroFinatic's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroFinaticDirect Link to This Post
any known mechanical problems w/ the car?

Do the doors leak at all?
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2007 06:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
I replied to your PM. I mentioned an oil spattering on top of the engine, but I found out what it was:

When I went out in the garage last night to clean things up a bit, I saw some oil drops on the valve covers. There are no oil spots on the garage floor, so looked around and it turns out that the dipstick does not seal. Oil is blowing out a bit. I'll be buying a new dipstick soon!

I will be taking it for a long drive Sunday, so I'll let you know how she does.

I have not taken her for too many long drives because I took the wheels off my Fino and I don't want to wear them down (because the purple Fiero needs new tires and a good alignment).

Keep in mind that there is no heat, so it may not be fun in the winter depending on where you live. Heat can be added back in if you want.

The trans shifts nice. No problems there. I recently filled it with fluid. Lots of new parts.

There are little things, but nothing to keep it off the road. Things like wiring in the temp gauge, a new headliner and fixing up the interior. If I were going to keep it, I would be selling those lambo doors because they are a pain and not worth the effort in keeping them lined up.

(edited to correct the oil source. Loose dipstick was the culprit)

[This message has been edited by Saxman (edited 03-24-2007).]

Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2007 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Saxman

5151 posts
Member since May 2005
Just a bump to show that I found why the oil was spattering. Damn dipsticks...
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2007 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Oops - double post (darm PDA's and the refresh buttons don't work well together)

[This message has been edited by Saxman (edited 03-25-2007).]

Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2007 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Saxman

5151 posts
Member since May 2005
Well, I went for the long drive today and the same temp problem occurred. I pulled over and noticed that the coolant hose had fallen back onto the exhaust, so I moved it back up and drove her again. The same thing happened - and she went up to 230 so I pulled her back in the garage.

This is so frustrating and I have so many other projects to get to so I am lowering the price to a rediculous level.

Before I took her out today, I bled the clutch because there was a slight chatter when the pedal was not pushed. Now it chatters more! So, so frustrating, so my impatience is your reward.

It was a blast driving it for the last hour.

[This message has been edited by Saxman (edited 04-22-2007).]

1st fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2007 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1st fieroSend a Private Message to 1st fieroDirect Link to This Post
Man, i wished you live alot closer, id attempt to buy it. good luck on the sail.

------------------

Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2007 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1st fiero:

Man, i wished you live alot closer, id attempt to buy it. good luck on the sail.

Thanks, but I just set the car on fire to cook some marshmallows. It drove me over the edge...

OK - just kidding... (for now)
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2007 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Bump for the weekday readers...
PFF
System Bot
antinull.com

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2007 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post
do the doors open all the way?
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
The doors don't open all the way out with these Lambo hinges, but I still have the regular hinges if the buyer wants them.
topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
Hmmmm, checking my bank accounts..........

...........if it doesn't sell in the next week or so, send me a pm, I might take it off your hands.
flames4me

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flames4meSend a Private Message to flames4meDirect Link to This Post
hi, i was wondering if that was an NHRA legal roll cage? if so, and the buyer does not want it, i am very interested in just the rollcage. thank you.

PS if your not going to sell just the rollbar, can i get some more info on it? if its a kit, where to get the kit. if its homebuilt, who built it. anything will help, thank you again.

------------------
1986 Silver 5 speed Fiero 3.4 DOHC
Bored .30, Fully balanced and blueprinted
13.93@101mph as it is on the street.
... ... !
350ci 400hp/tq SBC, 4 bolt main
Spec Stage 3, Nitrous Oxide, many extras.
87 GT 5-speed Getrag, power everything.

Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Keep watching here, topher_time. I'll keep bumping this one for a little longer.

I had a nice offer on the Fino, but I would rather keep it because I really like the body style. If this purple one does not sell for at least $4900, I may have to sell the Fino and keep this one. I'd be losing too much if I let this one go any cheaper.

flames - the roll bar came from Chase. I believe it was around 250 to make and another 200+ to ship. I plan to use it on the Fino, so it's not for sale separately.

This roll bar only goes across the back from the bottom of the back of each seat, so I don't know if it is race legal or not. The folks at Chase might know more about it.
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Wow - this car must be scaring people away, but I don't see how at this price. What's keeping everyone away?

Waaaaahhhhhhh...
FieroFinatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFinaticClick Here to visit FieroFinatic's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroFinaticDirect Link to This Post
it over heats and u dont trust it on long drives :/ & it has a cheap attempt at lambo doors on it :/ besides that its okay i guess :/

Not being mean just being honest.
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
That's what I was wondering. Thanks for the opinion. I guess a lot of others share it.

I think I should pull the hinges and go with the stock ones. Now that I have more time to get out in the garage, the heating problem is on the chopping block. I have to figure this one out!

Perhaps there is more to the coolant line on the exhaust. Let's see...

Thanks again!
FieroFinatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2007 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFinaticClick Here to visit FieroFinatic's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroFinaticDirect Link to This Post
oh yah...and its PURPLE!
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2007 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
There is already a purple one here in Waldorf, so it's old news here...

PFF
System Bot
AV8DAY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2007 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AV8DAYSend a Private Message to AV8DAYDirect Link to This Post
I like this car and I think your price is reasonable. The only problem I have is I don't know nothing about fixing engine problems on cars.
As it sits I don't think this would be a good car for me. But if you could find the time to really sort this car out I would be interested in it.
Just thought I would let you know. Good luck either way.
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2007 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Thank, AV8DAY. I've had lots of good advice on this heating problem, but not enough garage time to get to this one.

My bro-in-law had his second heart attack in one week's time so I was tied up for another weekend.

Maybe next weekend.
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2007 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Well, I'm talking to someone about buying the Fino instead since this one won't sell. I hate to do it, but one of them has to go. With the new boat, I have way too many projects that I can't get to.

I do hope the purple V8 sells, but time is running out. My neighbors have not complained about the 2 Fieros outside beside the 21' boat, but I will not be surprised if they do soon, even though everything is well covered.

If the Fino goes, then the putple V8 will be my b**ch for a while!

So, here's another bump in the night to see if I can move this purple beast.
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2007 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Well, here's another bump for the Purple V8.

I need the garage space and I don't want to move this car outside. I don't think it has ever been stored outside since the engine transplant.

Anyone interested?
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2007 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Bumpity-bump...
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2007 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, "Hugh" for the advice on my heating issue. I hope I can try your advice out (today) and report some good news. It would be nice if directing air over the radiator will solve the problem.

I imagine there are 10 or so guys out there that told me the same thing that will wish I had listened earlier (me included)>

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, everyone!
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2007 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Saxman

5151 posts
Member since May 2005
Well, I jacked up the front to get a good view of the radiator to get busy on HUGH's suggestion (and others earlier on) to add the air dam. While I was under there, I took a few pics.

I think I mentioned earlier that the car needs new bushings all around, but I was wrong. Here is a shot of the front right and front left and you can see that poly is used throughout.

Here is another shot that shows the radiator head-on. It looks very clean and hangs very low. I just don't see how this thing could not be getting enough air, but what do I know.

[This message has been edited by Saxman (edited 07-14-2007).]

Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2007 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Saxman

5151 posts
Member since May 2005
My camera started getting wierd for these last few shots, but in this one, I tried to take it at the level of the bottom of the front bumper to show how that radiator hangs down because of its height. The straight line across the middle of the pic is the bottom front of the bumper.

I also have a couple shots of the Lambo hinges. First is the passenger side. This was taken with the door open and raised. You should notice the triangular shaped piece that the top of the strut is attached to. This hinge is fine, but on the driver side, the triangle portion popped off at the weld onto the hinge itself.

Passenger side:

Driver side door open but not raised (popped weld):

She is still in the garage now waiting to move outside while I take the drivetrain out of an old '87 GT I am selling. Again, the camera is jacked up, so the sparkles are not the paint - just my dying camera.

Here is under the hood. That box is the front sub box that comes in from the footwell of the passenger side.

And here is what the footwell looks like with the sub facing the passenger's feet:

Finally, one more shot of the engine as she sits:
This images is larger than 102400 bytes. Click to view.
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2007 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Saxman

5151 posts
Member since May 2005
Also, as you look at the shots of the poly parts, you can see that there are jacking points welded in to the frame. I don't know if the factory did this on later model Fieros or not, but my 84 does not have these plates. I used cardboard to keep from scratching the purple parts.

The undercaraige is painted with POR-15 everywhere else behind those control arms.

How convenient that jacking plate is!!
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2007 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Saxman

5151 posts
Member since May 2005
I just got a friendly note from one of our very upstanding members. He mentioned that some of you may not know that all of the problems that I had with the previous owner might be affecting the sale. He remembers me calling this car the "Purple-Pain."

For the record, I have fixed everything that kept this car off the road. If not for the high-temperature issue, I could drive this car all day long, but as it is now, I only get 20-52 minutes at a time until I figure the problem out. Again - that 25 minutes is a BLAST!

So, I am not trying to dump this car on anyone. I am actually VERY close to keeping it and dealing with my angry wife. I know I will have to sell her eventually, so I might as well make the room now before I get even more attached to it (like when this heating problem is solved).

Thanks for the advice!
PFF
System Bot
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Last bump for April!
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2007 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkDirect Link to This Post
Like everyone else, it sounds like sweet deal. If I could unload all my other stuff I would be interested...

------------------

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Business up front, party in the back...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2007 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Well, sadly, she is sitting outside while I work on the 87 GT. I hope to have the '87 drivetrain removed by Sunday, then she goes back in the dry air.

So far, I have a few people that want to take her in a few weeks when they get money together, so she's still available until I see some cash!

Thanks for the bump!
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2007 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
The green pollen/haze really makes the purple on this car look cool!

No charge for the pollen!
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2007 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Saxman

5151 posts
Member since May 2005
I'm wondering if I should take this car up to Carlisle next weekend.

Are there many Fiero owners/lovers there that choose not to read Pennocks? (beside the guys from the other Fiero site?)
fieroman_5000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2007 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroman_5000Send a Private Message to fieroman_5000Direct Link to This Post
wow what a great deal this is! I only hope that when I can get back into Fiero's again (in ? years) I'll be able to find deals like this one. Good luck with the sale!
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2007 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the bump!

At this rate, I may still be driving it when you get back into Fieros...
McNasty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2007 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for McNastySend a Private Message to McNastyDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2007 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
I'm trying a new electric water pump this week so I'll let you guys know the sales status after it is in. If the pump fixes it, I'll either update the price or take it off the market. I don't know which just yet...

The pump on there now is pretty loud. I hope that is it!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock