Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Capt Fiero's now a gun owner. SKS (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Capt Fiero's now a gun owner. SKS by Capt Fiero
Started on: 07-19-2012 03:29 PM
Replies: 45
Last post by: ls3mach on 09-18-2012 08:43 AM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
With the unfortunate passing of my father one of the items I inherited was his gun collection. This one was his favorite. Has several banana clips with a case of 1200 rounds of ammo. I have never fired it, heck I am not sure if I have even put the clip in it. I like the fact that its not that heavy and the stock folds down to make it easier to handle.

Honestly I am not sure what I am going to do with it. After speaking to a few gun people in Canada, it will be a nightmare for me to bring it here as I have no papers at all for me to own any firearms in BC, and importing apparently will cost nearly as much as the gun is worth. For the time being I am going to leave it in Oregon with my grandparents, along with the other guns. (revolver and a few rifles) If I move to Oregon I'll get papers to carry. If I end up staying in BC I'll probably give all the guns to a friend to lock up in a gun safe and take them out only when I am down in Oregon. Is there anyone special I should know about the gun. I believe its considered a rifle due to the stock, does the fact that it folds away make any difference? Odd Question, not that I am thinking about selling, but what is it worth as it sits.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Niterrorz

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
NICE! they make some good mods for the sks, you should look through cheaperthandirt.com.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post07-19-2012 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
It is a rifle due to how it was originally made, and that looks like an aftermarket stock to me. There would be issues 'converting' from pistol to rifle or vice-versa..

I don't think there are any legal issues nationally now that Clinton's stupid AWB nonsense is over ( it relegated folding stocks and magazines among other things ) but your state might have some regulations left over.

EDIT: Those rules are US based, forgot you live up north.. YMMV greatly

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 07-19-2012).]

Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
My dad has an SKS, I've shot a few round through it. I sure woke up all of my neighbors when I shot it, the thing was like a canon.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

It is a rifle due to how it was originally made, and that looks like an aftermarket stock to me. There would be issues 'converting' from pistol to rifle or vice-versa..

I don't think there are any legal issues nationally now that Clinton's stupid AWB nonsense is over ( it relegated folding stocks and magazines among other things ) but your state might have some regulations left over.

EDIT: Those rules are US based, forgot you live up north.. YMMV greatly

I know the gun was modifed in a few diffrent ways. From what I understand it was semi auto. Might not be anymore. I have already found a friend of a friend that will inspect it for me and make sure that everything is legal to operate.

I am in Canada however the gun is in Oregon and I am not even going to try and bring it up here. It will just be another yankee toy for me.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post07-19-2012 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

I know the gun was modifed in a few diffrent ways. From what I understand it was semi auto. Might not be anymore. I have already found a friend of a friend that will inspect it for me and make sure that everything is legal to operate.

I am in Canada however the gun is in Oregon and I am not even going to try and bring it up here. It will just be another yankee toy for me.

If its been converted to full auto, my suggestion is to forget you have it ... ( both for saftey and legal reasons )
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post07-19-2012 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
The rules change as often as underwear, but if I am not mistaken an SKS is soon to be (if not already) restricted--meaning it would be treated as a handgun. IF the lib's get their way, it would end up prohibited, meaning only the military or cops can play with them.

<edit>
You may also run into trouble up here with magazine size...it used to be a 10 round limit and 3 for shotgun, but that was before the current round of rule changes and registry dropping so I'm not sure there either. http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/c.../20110323-72-eng.htm You would have to look into that particular model of gun.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 07-19-2012).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post07-19-2012 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

The rules change as often as underwear, but if I am not mistaken an SKS is soon to be (if not already) restricted--meaning it would be treated as a handgun. IF the lib's get their way, it would end up prohibited, meaning only the military or cops can play with them.

It's not "restricted" down here.
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
dennis_6

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
Gun may be technically illegal in the US. Read up on 922 R compliance. If it is a foreign made gun, it has to have so many domestic parts in it, or it still falls under whats left of the assault rifle ban. They sell compliance kits.

Counting Parts for 922(r)
See also: Sporting vs Non-Sporting Firearms

The United States has a lovely bit of import law, Title 18 USC § 922(r), which prevents most of the more interesting rifle designs from being directly imported into the US. The import regulations are commonly referred to as "922(r)" in gun circles.

In order to legally build a non-sporting rifle out of a parts kit (or modify a 'sporting' rifle to include 'non-sporting' features), no more than 10 imported parts may remain in the final product. This is generally done by replacing foreign-made parts with domestically-built parts.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwi...egalFederal922rParts

Gun laws are stupid, and people that push for them are more so.

Not real hard or expensive to convert it back to stock, if that will let you import it.

Spend the money to import the gun. The SKS might as well be a semi auto 30-30. It is a very reliable design, and more accurate than a AK. It also probably has sentimental value to you. You can do much worse than a SKS as your only firearm.

[This message has been edited by dennis_6 (edited 07-19-2012).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2012 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Thank You for the Video I have never actually even seen an SKS being fired. As to trying to convince me to import it into Canada honestly I would love to, but from the people that I have spoke to, its just to much of a nightmare. From what I have found it will cost me around $500-$700 in permits and licensing to get it here legally and in my position. I don't want to sell it as it was my fathers, which is why I would look for a safe place to store it with a friend state side. Then once my future plans on where I am going to live are more solid, I would make the decision to bring it to Canada or ??? I am not sure. I am going to have to talk to a few more people in BC and see if I have anyone that can legally import the gun for me. Then I'll have to find out what kind of documents I need to have to simply own it. My wife was born and raised in BC and even having a pellet riffle in the house she had to hide it. So I am sure she would be worried about me keeping it in the house and knowing me, if I were to have it here, the only reason would be for protection, which would mean I would want to keep it loaded and in a place I could easily get to it. IE on hooks between the wall and the headboard in our room. Not so dumb as to keep one in the chamber, but still want it handy. Its been a year or 2 since I have heard of any kind of forced entry into a house around here, but things are starting to get a bit more aggressive with poverty on the rise and desperate people do dumb things.

I'd love to see more pics video's of other similar guns as well as knowing what kind of penetrating power this has. Are there literally dozens of different loads you can get for ammo. Spending the last 15 years in BC I have only touched a gun at a shooting range once in that time, so I am really behind the curve, and before that it was pretty much just as a teenager, take gun, put bullets in, keep open end away from face and friends pull trigger. Oh and make damn sure the shotgun stock was firmly against your shoulder before you pulled the trigger, especially if it was loaded with slugs.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2012 05:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post
Canada has a long border with the USA, time to take a long walk. Hehehehe.

http://thefiringline.com/fo...wthread.php?t=203702

Before shooting, rack it, dry fire, rack it back again, check that the firing pin is not poking forward.
IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2012 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Direct Link to This Post
Wow! Almost thought it was mine for a second... I have a Chinese made one and a Russian one. The Chinese one is setup just like that, the Russian one is completely un-modified. The Russian one still has the bayonet and soviet markings...
I prefer the Russian one, but the Chinese one is just as reliable, but the Chinese one is not quite as accurate on the longer range.
The Chinese ones were selling for about 300-500 a decade ago.
Around that time frame, there was a flood of plastic 30 Round magazines for them. Those plastic magazines are garbage. The 10 round metal magazines are still the best.
SKS's are easy to clean.

Like FriendGregory posted; "Before shooting, rack it, dry fire, rack it back again, check that the firing pin is not poking forward." I would add, check that the safety (lever next to the trigger) does what it is supposed to do, as well.

-Dave
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2012 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero: Thank You for the Video I have never actually even seen an SKS being fired. As to trying to convince me to import it into Canada honestly I would love to, but from the people that I have spoke to, its just to much of a nightmare. From what I have found it will cost me around $500-$700 in permits and licensing to get it here legally and in my position.

Yeah, those fees are more than the rifle is worth.

That said, I used to own an SKS rifle. It was fun to shoot, although the accuracy was nothing to write home about. The ammo is cheap, too. IMO, it's a good plinker.

Also, FYI it should be semi-automatic. If it was modified to be fully automatic, then it would be highly illegal (and should be un-modified or destroyed ASAP).
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2012 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

Thank You for the Video I have never actually even seen an SKS being fired. As to trying to convince me to import it into Canada honestly I would love to, but from the people that I have spoke to, its just to much of a nightmare. From what I have found it will cost me around $500-$700 in permits and licensing to get it here legally and in my position. I don't want to sell it as it was my fathers, which is why I would look for a safe place to store it with a friend state side. Then once my future plans on where I am going to live are more solid, I would make the decision to bring it to Canada or ??? I am not sure. I am going to have to talk to a few more people in BC and see if I have anyone that can legally import the gun for me. Then I'll have to find out what kind of documents I need to have to simply own it. My wife was born and raised in BC and even having a pellet riffle in the house she had to hide it. So I am sure she would be worried about me keeping it in the house and knowing me, if I were to have it here, the only reason would be for protection, which would mean I would want to keep it loaded and in a place I could easily get to it. IE on hooks between the wall and the headboard in our room. Not so dumb as to keep one in the chamber, but still want it handy. Its been a year or 2 since I have heard of any kind of forced entry into a house around here, but things are starting to get a bit more aggressive with poverty on the rise and desperate people do dumb things.

I'd love to see more pics video's of other similar guns as well as knowing what kind of penetrating power this has. Are there literally dozens of different loads you can get for ammo. Spending the last 15 years in BC I have only touched a gun at a shooting range once in that time, so I am really behind the curve, and before that it was pretty much just as a teenager, take gun, put bullets in, keep open end away from face and friends pull trigger. Oh and make damn sure the shotgun stock was firmly against your shoulder before you pulled the trigger, especially if it was loaded with slugs.

Sks and AK 47 both use 7.62x39
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RODu_dmJO_M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCoG4eT0p0

[This message has been edited by dennis_6 (edited 07-21-2012).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post07-21-2012 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by dennis_6:

Sks and AK 47 both use 7.62x39

You mean both CAN use.. there are other calibers.
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2012 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

You mean both CAN use.. there are other calibers.

The AK74 uses the 5.45x39 round and yes they have made export versions of the AK in other calibers. The actual as made AK-47 as far as I know was 7.62x39 only.

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post07-21-2012 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

The AK74 uses the .22 caliber, and yes they have made export versions of the AK in other calibers. The actual as made AK-47 as far as I know was 7.62x39 only.

Not that id ever want one, but i'm sure i have seen 'official' 47's with that silly nato 5.45×39mm round. Perhaps they were variants instead, i could be wrong.

Not related, but i still need to find myself fa mini-30 to match my 74.. and replace my Beretta.. bla bla bla ( trying to consolidate my calibers.. i have to many )

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 07-21-2012).]

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2012 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
Deer taken with SKS
http://www.youtube.com/watc...Yyeo&feature=related
Hog taken with 7.62x39 @ 115 yards one shot drop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lckzhI2uX5M

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2012 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
I collect the SKS rifles and I can tell you that price varies by condition, country of origin, and your geographical location. The prices assume they are in original condition, no aftermarket parts.

A Yugo M59/66 can go for between $150-350, some are near junk while others are unissued.
A Yugo M59 is a bit less common but still enough around not to command too much of a premium. They can be had for about the same $150-400. Not many are in that great of condition however, you will really have to look to find a nice one.
A milled receiver Chinese SKS depending upon if it is commercial or military production can go for $150-300. Early Sino-Soviet models are worth more.
A stamped receiver Chinese SKS usually goes for $200-350.
A Romanian SKS goes for $200-400. Most are mismatched and a good number have pitted barrels. Again, you will really have to shop around to get a nice one.
Russian ones are too tough to lump into one category. Unless it is something special, most fall in the $250-450 range. Low production years and early dated Tula arsenal models can be very pricey.
An Albanian SKS ranges from $200-500, most are heavily used while occasionally you can find one near unissued.

Now onto the really rare oddball ones.

East German, North Korean, and North Vietnamese SKS rifles are extremely rare. Unless you are dedicated to collecting them, odds are you will never even see one of them. I only saw one North Korean SKS that was supposedly a Korean War trophy without capture papers and the seller wanted $8000.

Poland was rumored to have produced a honor guard SKS, but i have never been able to confirm it. Some laminated stocks for them showed up once on gunbroker from a Polish seller. Also, Iran is rumored to have produced a copy, but I cannot confirm that either.

http://answers.yahoo.com/qu...0071022201416AABvUNz

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2012 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001

Not that id ever want one, but i'm sure i have seen 'official' 47's with that silly nato 5.45×39mm round. Perhaps they were variants instead, i could be wrong.

Not related, but i still need to find myself fa mini-30 to match my 74.. and replace my Beretta.. bla bla bla ( trying to consolidate my calibers.. i have to many )

So you are looking for a 5.45x39 mini 30?
PFF
System Bot
8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
If you DO Decide to sell it, Drop me a line. Been looking for an SKS to replace my old one.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post07-22-2012 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

So you are looking for a 5.45x39 mini 30?

No, want it to match my AK-47 caliber so it would be 7.62x39 instead. A friend had one up for sale for 300 bucks last year, but i just didn't have the cash and had to let it go

I'm thinking the mini 14 is the 5.45x39 variant.

EDIT i see the confusion,i had said 74 in the previous post, but meant 47.. i thought i had fixed that.. sorry about that.. stupid typos

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 07-22-2012).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
WOW Guys, I have just spent the last hour reading and watching videos from the posts. The one that surprised me the most was the water jug into frying pan into 2 large blocks of wood and penetrated all of them I had no idea they had that much penetration. I also noted the scope on one of them, I thought the term was "spray and pray" with the SKS, kinda cool to know that you can actually some kind of accuracy with them.

Anything is that of all the clips posted most of them looked more like normal rifles with wood stocks that don't fold, is this one an odd one? I know I did not post pics of the ammo or clip but these clips with the gun are about 8-12 inches long and in a 1/4 U shape, banana clip is I believe the correct term. I don't know how many rounds go in each clip as I did not check. But it looks like it could hold at least 15 rounds in each clip. The Ammo case is sealed, its a big wooded box that looks like an old apple box, but its sealed with metal straps around it. Stamped 1200 rounds.

The next time I am down in Oregon, probably in a few weeks I am going to take a much closer examination of the gun. I will try to find someone locally that I can trust (if the results are less than legal) to come and give the gun a once over maybe take it out in the back field and put a clip in it and pull the trigger to see what happens. Just do it once and put the gun away. We hear semi automatic fire from people hunting all the time at the house as we are only a few hundred yards from the city limits. (City limits term can be taken with a grain of salt as the "city" has a population of 600 people) Its a country farm community.

Thank you for posting the jpg of various wound profiles of different rounds as well, although I don't understand it much, it was cool to look over and "try" to understand it.

------------------

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post07-22-2012 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

WOW Guys, I have just spent the last hour reading and watching videos from the posts. The one that surprised me the most was the water jug into frying pan into 2 large blocks of wood and penetrated all of them I had no idea they had that much penetration. I also noted the scope on one of them, I thought the term was "spray and pray" with the SKS, kinda cool to know that you can actually some kind of accuracy with them.

Anything is that of all the clips posted most of them looked more like normal rifles with wood stocks that don't fold, is this one an odd one? I know I did not post pics of the ammo or clip but these clips with the gun are about 8-12 inches long and in a 1/4 U shape, banana clip is I believe the correct term. I don't know how many rounds go in each clip as I did not check. But it looks like it could hold at least 15 rounds in each clip. The Ammo case is sealed, its a big wooded box that looks like an old apple box, but its sealed with metal straps around it. Stamped 1200 rounds.

The next time I am down in Oregon, probably in a few weeks I am going to take a much closer examination of the gun. I will try to find someone locally that I can trust (if the results are less than legal) to come and give the gun a once over maybe take it out in the back field and put a clip in it and pull the trigger to see what happens. Just do it once and put the gun away. We hear semi automatic fire from people hunting all the time at the house as we are only a few hundred yards from the city limits. (City limits term can be taken with a grain of salt as the "city" has a population of 600 people) Its a country farm community.

Thank you for posting the jpg of various wound profiles of different rounds as well, although I don't understand it much, it was cool to look over and "try" to understand it.

Look at some videos comparing the AR-15 penetration to the AK/SKS ( larger caliber ) and there is a HUGE difference.

Those profiles are just what the bullet/damage path looks like when it hits a block of ballistic gelatin. ( and what you would see in a human, if it didn't hit bone along the way.. )

As far as your stock, its not 'weird'. someone just took off the original lower wood stock and replaced it with an aftermarket stock.

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 07-22-2012).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
So the AR is Larger than the SKS / AK? I see lots of references to 5.45x39 I understand that is the size of the bullet, however how is it measured, length / diameter / weight. I know these are stupid newb questions, but I would like to know this stuff before I actually start firing the gun. I had a friend back in high school that had this ammo in a 45 and although I never shot it or saw it fired it sure looked intimidating, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Talon is their any worth while reason to find this for an SKS if its even available? Maybe its just a "rice" thing that looks cool but has no practical advantage.

What kind of things should I be concerned with purchasing for this gun? I am guessing good ear protection would be top of the list. I don't think I would need a scope as I don't plan on going hunting with it and in a danger situation the last thing I would be doing is looking through the scope. Unless I could find one that had the (forgive me if this sounds dumb) laser dot so I knew exactly what I was going to hit without question just at a glance. Possibly one with a balance switch so when the gun is stored or pointed muzzle down it would be off, but would switch on as soon as the gun was handled in a level or semi level position. (if those even exist)

Again thank you for all your patience with all these questions.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post07-22-2012 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

So the AR is Larger than the SKS / AK? .

AR is smaller. I meant the larger version of the AK/SKS. The smaller version is the same as a AR-15 ( all the non-standard variants of all 3 not withstanding )

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
My Dad left me a 22LR single Cooey. It isn't worth much at all. But, I wouldn't let the Cretien Liberals take it from me. I took my licence, and licenced the gun, just to have it. Now the Long Gun Registry is dead I feel I was ripped off, but, I still have it.

If you have a collection, the matter is somewhat different. You can take the safety course and get qualified for restricted weapons. You can then apply to bring in the whole shooting match at once. Sure it will cost, but, will it cost more than the whole collection?

It is worth looking at. Sure your grandparents can hold it for now, but for how long? Just my .02

Arn
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

So the AR is Larger than the SKS / AK? I see lots of references to 5.45x39 I understand that is the size of the bullet, however how is it measured, length / diameter / weight. I know these are stupid newb questions, but I would like to know this stuff before I actually start firing the gun. I had a friend back in high school that had this ammo in a 45 and although I never shot it or saw it fired it sure looked intimidating, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Talon is their any worth while reason to find this for an SKS if its even available? Maybe its just a "rice" thing that looks cool but has no practical advantage.

What kind of things should I be concerned with purchasing for this gun? I am guessing good ear protection would be top of the list. I don't think I would need a scope as I don't plan on going hunting with it and in a danger situation the last thing I would be doing is looking through the scope. Unless I could find one that had the (forgive me if this sounds dumb) laser dot so I knew exactly what I was going to hit without question just at a glance. Possibly one with a balance switch so when the gun is stored or pointed muzzle down it would be off, but would switch on as soon as the gun was handled in a level or semi level position. (if those even exist)

Again thank you for all your patience with all these questions.

AR is most commonly chambered in 5.56 Nato. This is a smaller round it is .223 dia round. Your SKS is chambered in 7.62x39. That is a .30 caliber round, .311 to be exact if I remember correctly.

Leave the 1200 rounds alone until you either have a cleaning solution mad for corrosive ammo, or you find out for sure those rounds are not corrosively primed. If you do not clean corrosive primer residue out of the gun it will rust.
Wolf, brown bear, etc is fine and non corrosive.

You don't need expensive hearing protection, the disposable ear plugs work fine, if not better than most of the expensive options. Shooting glasses should be used, you only have one set of eyes. Standard ANSI safety glasses would probably be fine.

Wouldn't worry about super bullets like the black talon either. If you want expansion find some good hollow point ammo. You will lose penetration with that, but the wound will be nastier than a FMJ round.

As for things to buy for the gun, that is really up to you. http://www.timbersmithusa.c...?act=viewCat&catId=3 makes really nice wood stocks.
detachable mags are available. sgworks.com makes a cool bullpup stock. Haven't heard of a balance control red dot sight, but Aimpoint will supposedly be fine if you leave it on a year. I would be learning to shoot with iron sights, and bench the gun and see how well it groups. If the gun hits high and to the right, you can adjust the sights. If the gun has 10 inch groups at a 100 yards, and it is not your shooting, then the gun is not accurate.
Some SKS are more accurate than others, they are all reportedly at least combat accurate.

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
These are stripper clips for speed loading internal mags.

SKS banana mag

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
Forum dedicated to the SKS http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php
PFF
System Bot
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
I have that same SKS rilfe with modified stock. They are fun to shot, slightly less power than a 30-30, but they can really spit the bullets out.

Back in the early 90s they were about $70 each, and were selling like crazy. Many gun owners said they were garbage, and by American gun standards they were very inaccurate. By that I mean they shot three inch groups at a hundred yards, which for hunting sucked.

The stocks were like $30 and they were easy to convert.

I really doubt that SKS is fully automatic. You take a huge risk having or converting firearms without ATF consent. Either way it is very expensive.

The value of that rifle now is around $300-400 dollars.
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
Gun might be easier to get in than you think, though you might have to put a non folding stock on.
http://www.survivalistboard...wthread.php?t=214033
Sorry about all the survivalist boards, I have been using google, and evidently survivalist like the SKS. lol
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

I have that same SKS rilfe with modified stock. They are fun to shot, slightly less power than a 30-30, but they can really spit the bullets out.

Back in the early 90s they were about $70 each, and were selling like crazy. Many gun owners said they were garbage, and by American gun standards they were very inaccurate. By that I mean they shot three inch groups at a hundred yards, which for hunting sucked.

The stocks were like $30 and they were easy to convert.

I really doubt that SKS is fully automatic. You take a huge risk having or converting firearms without ATF consent. Either way it is very expensive.

The value of that rifle now is around $300-400 dollars.

3 inches at a 100 yards is great for hunting, . Compare that to a 12 gauge firing foster slugs. In ohio you have to use shotguns for deer.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post07-22-2012 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

I had one of those, and shoving a banana in it would have been about as useful as actual ammunition.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post07-22-2012 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Sorry about all the survivalist boards, I have been using google, and evidently survivalist like the SKS. lol

Like an AK, they are cheap, super rugged brain dead simple to fix if they do break, and widely available. ( or at least used to be cheap.. )
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

I had one of those, and shoving a banana in it would have been about as useful as actual ammunition.

Did you try holding the gun "gangsta" style? I heard that stance causes a wall of lead, that no life can escape.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

SKS banana mag

Yes those are the mags.

Thank You Dennis I will look into that aimpoint as well. I will also figure out what type of Ammo is in the boxes. I won't bother with fancy ammo either if its really not needed. As to accuracy, let alone 100 yards, if I could get 6" groups at 100 feet I would consider myself lucky.

Back to the clips I just found out from a friend that any clip that holds more than 5 rounds is not legal in BC and larger clips must be modified so they can't hold more than 5 rounds. Seems strange but thats the law I guess.

Dumb question buy the piston with the actual banana sticking out, what is it?

------------------

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

Yes those are the mags.

Thank You Dennis I will look into that aimpoint as well. I will also figure out what type of Ammo is in the boxes. I won't bother with fancy ammo either if its really not needed. As to accuracy, let alone 100 yards, if I could get 6" groups at 100 feet I would consider myself lucky.

Back to the clips I just found out from a friend that any clip that holds more than 5 rounds is not legal in BC and larger clips must be modified so they can't hold more than 5 rounds. Seems strange but thats the law I guess.

Dumb question buy the piston with the actual banana sticking out, what is it?

You are most certainly welcome, firearm ownership and target shooting is rewarding. If you plan on hunting with the rifle, most hunting regs call for expanding ammo. Soft points and hollow points fall under that, at least here in the US. Unless I felt the need to shoot through car doors, or defeat some time of cover, I would just use soft points or hollow points as all around choice. FMJ is fine for defeating cover and punching paper though. The military uses FMJ, because expanding ammo is not allowed in war.

On aim point battery life...
Some are rated 50,000 hours Though they start at 400 dollars. Might want to try a cheaper red dot, to see if you like the concept first.

5 round mag is not a problem, they are out there. Might also want to check if the mag limit applies to internal mags, some places it only applies to detachable.
http://www.midwayusa.com/pr...-round-polymer-black

The pistol is a Intratec TEC like the one here.
http://mrcompletely.blogspo...m-fire-race-gun.html

[This message has been edited by dennis_6 (edited 07-22-2012).]

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2012 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
Just remembered mojo makes a peep sight for the SKS, a lot cheaper than a good red dot.

Tritium front sights are available for SKS rifles too.
http://www.opticsplanet.com...ium-night-sight.html

[This message has been edited by dennis_6 (edited 07-23-2012).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock