Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Who do You prefer for President? (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Who do You prefer for President? by J-Holland
Started on: 06-17-2012 08:20 PM
Replies: 79
Last post by: Marvin McInnis on 06-30-2012 02:37 AM
Wichita

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2012 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
David Palmer

IP: Logged
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2012 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

David Palmer

Are you in good hands? A good voice is taking it up a notch from good hair!
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2012 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

yellowstone

9299 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by Toddster:

John Wayne for President

Oh, the big hero draft dodger?
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2012 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post

John Wayne for President

Toddster supported Bush II.

Apparently, dodging the draft is patriotic, if you're rich enough.

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 06-18-2012).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2012 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

Talk about going out of your way just to piss people off. Or do you just hate everything about America, except the opportunities it offers you to fill your wallet?

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 06-18-2012).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2012 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Formula88

53788 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Originally posted by NEPTUNE:

Toddster supported Bush II.

Apparently, dodging the draft is patriotic, if you're rich enough.

It worked for Bill Clinton.

Clinton's political opponents charge that to avoid being drafted into the Vietnam War during his college years, he used the political influence of a U.S. Senator, who employed him as an aide.1 Col. Eugene Holmes, an Army officer who was involved in Clinton's case, issued a notarized statement during the 1992 presidential campaign: "I was informed by the draft board that it was of interest to Senator Fullbright's office that Bill Clinton, a Rhodes Scholar, should be admitted to the ROTC program... I believe that he purposely deceived me, using the possibility of joining the ROTC as a ploy to work with the draft board to delay his induction and get a new draft classification."2,3

1 "Bill Clinton's Draft Letter". Frontline. PBS. November 23, 1991. Retrieved August 30, 2011.
2 Morris, Roger (April 25, 1999). Partners in Power: The Clintons and Their America. Regnery Publishing. p. 100. ISBN 978-0-89526-302-5. Retrieved August 17, 2011.
3 Metcalf, Geoffrey M. (November 28, 2002). In the Arena: Geoff Metcalf Interviews With Doers of Deeds. iUniverse. p. 561. ISBN 978-0-595-25752-2. Retrieved August 17, 2011.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2012 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
So one needs to be an uncritical fan of John Wayne now to show love for the US? I didn't make the story up, it's pretty widely known IMO. And while I don't know where the Clinton story came from in that context (it was about John Wayne for president), yes, he did something similar. I just haven't heard Clinton waxing rhapsodic about aggressive patriotism, John Wayne style...

I don't hate the US, I was commenting on a specific post in an Internet forum, providing evidence supporting my point. Aren't you over-reacting a bit?

Originally posted by Formula88:

Talk about going out of your way just to piss people off. Or do you just hate everything about America, except the opportunities it offers you to fill your wallet?

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 06-19-2012).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2012 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

So one needs to be an uncritical fan of John Wayne now to show love for the US? I didn't make the story up, it's pretty widely known IMO. And while I don't know where the Clinton story came from in that context (it was about John Wayne for president), yes, he did something similar. I just haven't heard Clinton waxing rhapsodic about aggressive patriotism, John Wayne style...

I don't hate the US, I was commenting on a specific post in an Internet forum, providing evidence supporting my point. Aren't you over-reacting a bit?

No, but you seem to be going out of your way to find things to complain about the US. You've had a Euro-chip on your shoulder for a while now. I'm not the only one to notice it.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2012 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

No, but you seem to be going out of your way to find things to complain about the US. You've had a Euro-chip on your shoulder for a while now. I'm not the only one to notice it.

Please explain just how mentioning that John Wayne didn't go to war (like other well-known actors at the time) in spite of being really big on patriotism is complaining about the US.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2012 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Please explain just how mentioning that John Wayne didn't go to war (like other well-known actors at the time) in spite of being really big on patriotism is complaining about the US.

"Mentioning" someone didn't go to war and calling someone a "draft dodger" aren't quite the same thing. You seem to have a strong enough command of the English language to know that.

Are you so miserable here that you feel the need to constantly lash out? (Either in the U.S. or on PFF)
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2012 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

Are you so miserable here that you feel the need to constantly lash out? (Either in the U.S. or on PFF)

No. Maybe I'm just allergic to hyper-nationalists. I read up a little on John Wayne and what's also interesting (apart from the draft issue) that he exclusively got married to foreigners (Peru, Panama, Mexico) and that he was a personal friend of the very Progressive (capital P) Panamanian leader Omar Torrijos Herrera. Seems like his nationalism/conservatism had its boundaries (or that he was very tolerant, which would be a good thing).

I'd say that the legend is much more than the man (as it's usual with legends).

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 06-19-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2012 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

No. Maybe I'm just allergic to hyper-nationalists. I read up a little on John Wayne and what's also interesting (apart from the draft issue) that he exclusively got married to foreigners (Peru, Panama, Mexico) and that he was a personal friend of the very Progressive (capital P) Panamanian leader Omar Torrijos Herrera. Seems like his nationalism/conservatism had its boundaries (or that he was very tolerant, which would be a good thing).

I'd say that the legend is much more than the man (as it's usual with legends).

So one line, "John Wayne for President," was enough of an irritant of your hyper-nationalist allergy to require rebuttal? There was no mention of his patriotism, real or imagined. The mere mention of his name was enough.

You made your "draft dodger" comment with the intent to illicit a reaction. You got one. Mission Accomplished.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2012 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
OK, I over-reacted, too, and I'm sorry about that.
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2012 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
well, why not just be honest about it. GWB, bill clinton and john wayne may all belong on the same list, and there are plenty more public figures, probably enough for a thread of their own, where we can argue that one was an unpatriotic coward while the other guy who did the same thing as a real american.

could be kind of fun to watch.

re john wayne: my next door neighbor in the early 80s was a marine in ww2, paralyzed from the waist down by a japanese machine gun on iwo jima. i visited him a lot at the VA hospital. he loathed john wayne. rightly or not, he felt that JW got all the credit, took none of the risks, and he resented it.
J-Holland

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2012 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J-HollandSend a Private Message to J-HollandDirect Link to This Post
While I can admit that I enjoy the "Duke's" movies, I can understand why wounded Marines may not have liked him. However, before you start cutting the man down, check your facts a little. The truth might be somewhat different than what one sees at first glance.

But if we have to have another actor for President, the best choices would have to have been Jimmy Stewart.
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2012 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

1 "Bill Clinton's Draft Letter". Frontline. PBS. November 23, 1991. Retrieved August 30, 2011.
2 Morris, Roger (April 25, 1999). Partners in Power: The Clintons and Their America. Regnery Publishing. p. 100. ISBN 978-0-89526-302-5. Retrieved August 17, 2011.
3 Metcalf, Geoffrey M. (November 28, 2002). In the Arena: Geoff Metcalf Interviews With Doers of Deeds. iUniverse. p. 561. ISBN 978-0-595-25752-2. Retrieved August 17, 2011.

Not to mention Clinton ACTUALLY did dodge the draft while Bush 2 served his country in the National Guard protecting our borders at a time of war.

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2012 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Toddster

20871 posts
Member since May 2001

Thanks for trying to make one really dumb point.

He happens to be one of only 71 people in history to be named an honorary Marine....oops

http://www.facebook.com/marines/posts/479751900193
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2012 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for trying to make one really dumb point.

He happens to be one of only 71 people in history to be named an honorary Marine....oops

Bob Hope was the only person to be named an "Honorary Vet" by an act of Congress....he never actually served either.

Now, before you get your panties in a bunch, I respected Hope for his work (still do actually) and even played on a couple of his USO tours with Sunday's Child in the late 70's (a girl group Sammy Davis, Jr was managing at the time.)

Anyway.....I nominate Humphrey Bogart for President...if we're going "Hollywood."
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2012 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

Wow, just like CHUCK NORRIS! That's almost as good as really going to war!

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 06-20-2012).]

theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2012 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
President: Friedrich Hayek
Vice President: Adam Smith
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2012 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Not to lessen the honor, but I'll bet he wasn't given an honorary promotion, twice, like Jim Nabors.
I think he's the only honorary Marine ever to receive two promotions. He's an honorary Corporal.
http://www.jimnabors.com/promotion3.html
PFF
System Bot
Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2012 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFDirect Link to This Post

Not to lessen the honor, but I'll bet he wasn't given an honorary promotion, twice, like Jim Nabors.
I think he's the only honorary Marine ever to receive two promotions. He's an honorary Corporal.
http://www.jimnabors.com/promotion3.html

Before don't ask don't tell.
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2012 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Red88FF:

Just sayin'.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2012 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Red88FF:

I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere, but damned if I can find it.
Since the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy was in effect from 1993 - 2011 and Nabors' honors were in 2001 and 2007, maybe you meant "during" Don't Ask, Don't Tell?

Let me guess, you could care less, right?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2012 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I would have to really think on it. Offhand I cant think of anyone that is for / against everything I am. It would def be someone in the 45-55 age range. I dont want a youngster or someone already elderly in charge. Both already have their own problems and limitations. Definately someone who has worked for pay in an executive job, at least minimal experience in a public office, and hopefully with some military service. The one there now has none of those requirements. Hes got worthless degrees in fields hes had nothing to do with. What hes got thats usefull is like me having a degree in fashion merchandising.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 06-20-2012).]

Uaana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2012 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post
I know he'd never get elected.. but looking at the resume'..

Bill Gates.. Gets business, Demands results, and once all is running like honey gives like a Sugar Daddy with an expense account.

There are other reasons.. He doesn't want the job.. extra point..

Thinking a little more.. might be a good "compromise" President.. Libs hate him because .. well he's PC and they're MAC.. Has been ruthless in his business dealings and running of his company.
Con's hate him because he's a "Give to those who need" and then give a little more.. and higher taxes are no big deal..

But he'd never get elected.. he's the nerd everyone picked on in H.S. and college, and has the charisma of an IRS accountant.
Too bad we can't get the best guy instead of the guy with the political ambition and deep pocket sponsors..
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2012 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Uaana:

But he'd never get elected.. he's the nerd everyone picked on in H.S. and college, and has the charisma of an IRS accountant.
Too bad we can't get the best guy instead of the guy with the political ambition and deep pocket sponsors..

Bill Gates would just be his own Super PAC... but he doesn't have sufficiently good hair and white teeth.
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2012 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Bill Gates would just be his own Super PAC... but he doesn't have sufficiently good hair and white teeth.

Oh sheesh, you don't really think we vote for someone based solely on their hair and teeth do you? I mean, we also base our votes on how they schmooze us, and their clothing.

Brad
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2012 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, I also forgot the baby coddling...

Originally posted by twofatguys:

Oh sheesh, you don't really think we vote for someone based solely on their hair and teeth do you? I mean, we also base our votes on how they schmooze us, and their clothing.

Brad

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2012 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Sorry, I also forgot the baby coddling...

Yes, they must properly kiss the babies.

Brad
NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2012 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

President: Friedrich Hayek
Vice President: Adam Smith

Silly BDub, nobody would vote for a Classical Liberal and a Minarchist besides you
PFF
System Bot
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2012 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

Brad

I dunno, I could NOT vote for someone because of their hair and teeth. Bad hair, Bad teeth = Bad habits/judgement. Am I wrong?
lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2012 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tbone42:

I dunno, I could NOT vote for someone because of their hair and teeth.

ah, but would you vote for an awesome rack? might liven up the press conferences.

heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2012 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post
Christina Hendricks, lurker? She seems to have all the requirements, certainly the hair, anyway.
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post06-29-2012 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post
Frank Zappa for president.
Tinton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
User Banned

Report this Post06-29-2012 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TintonSend a Private Message to TintonDirect Link to This Post
Abolish the presidency. Congress too, too many people fight and take sides when they're really all the same. Besides, electing representatives is so 1789, I bet we can run a direct democracy by just having people vote on FB.

------------------

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2012 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
I voted for Barry Commoner (citizens party) in 1980. Anyone else ever hear of him?
lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2012 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tinton:
Abolish the presidency. Congress too, too many people fight and take sides when they're really all the same. Besides, electing representatives is so 1789, I bet we can run a direct democracy by just having people vote on FB.

i'm hoping this is a joke. there's this thing called the constitution, which, while imperfect, is probably as close as anyone's going to get anytime soon.

Originally posted by dratts:
I voted for Barry Commoner (citizens party) in 1980. Anyone else ever hear of him?

yes, i remember the name. feelin' old now, thanks.
NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2012 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tinton:

Great idea. We all know how moral and just the majority of people are.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

I knew his running mate, La Donna Harris, but I did note vote for them.

Whom do I prefer for President? None of the likely choices. In general, the skill set required for being elected President is inconsistent with the skill set required for actually being an effective President.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 06-30-2012).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock