Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  todays obesity compared to 100 years ago. (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
todays obesity compared to 100 years ago. by hookdonspeed
Started on: 11-30-2011 01:41 PM
Replies: 50
Last post by: Jackdaniels on 12-03-2011 10:53 PM
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post
dont think this is a repost, i looked didnt see..
http://modeledbehavior.com/...into-the-discussion/

America’s Obesity Epidemic: Bringing Sideshow Freaks Into The Discussion

Sunday ~ April 18th, 2010 in Just Wow, Society | by Adam Ozimek

There has been a lot of very thoughtful discussion lately about the obesity epidemic facing this country. All I have to add to this insightful and informed conversation is a comment on and picture of a turn-of-the-century sideshow freak:

This is Chauncy Morlan, and around 100 years ago his obesity was so shocking that people would pay money to see him as he toured the country as a circus “fat man”. I find the unremarkableness of his size to be a telling sign of how we’ve pushed the limits of obesity in the past 100 years. Imagine, if you will, what society would look like if 100 years from now if what passed as spectacularly obese today would not even turn heads at the mall.

---
yep... i see like 15 of these freak shows a day now...
and i mean no offense to anyone with a medical disability to why they are over weight... but wow, seriously people, get outa the F'ing house sometimes! put the cheese burger and diet coke down!

[This message has been edited by hookdonspeed (edited 11-30-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
One hundred years ago the life expectancy was 50 and the nutrion was poor. Plus you had to phyically work at any job. There were not many cushy desk jocky jobs out there. There was no x-box for the kids to sit at a TV console to play. Even when I was a kid we played baseball, football and did lots of exploration, hiking the surrounding hills in the summer and winter.

hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

One hundred years ago the life expectancy was 50 and the nutrion was poor.

even more reason people should be in better shape...

There was no x-box for the kids to sit at a TV console to play. Even when I was a kid we played baseball, football and did lots of exploration, hiking the surrounding hills in the summer and winter.

AND WHATS WRONG WITH THAT?! i try to get my kids outside everychance we can... they love it (then again they are still a lil young for the videogames)

[This message has been edited by hookdonspeed (edited 11-30-2011).]

naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:
even more reason people should be in better shape...

So, because "society" says I'm obese, I should stop doing/eating things I enjoy and start doing/eating things I don't care for?

------------------
Nick www.naskie18.com GoogleTalk: naskie18 AIM: naskie18

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Well, don't forget, there was marketing and hype.

"See the World's Largest Man"... but in reality, the guy is big, but not as big as hyped or seen in the painted ad.

People went to "freakshows" because there was no entertainment at the time. Just like people want Jersey Shore now... it is on and it is something to watch (not for me, but some people). Same thing with the freakshows.

BTW, remember Taft... he was something like 330lbs.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

jaskispyder

21510 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by naskie18:

So, because "society" says I'm obese, I should stop doing/eating things I enjoy and start doing/eating things I don't care for?

Hmm, same thing applies to those who drink and smoke... or do anything else that the government wants to control.

(just waiting for the "fat tax" to come out of Congress)

naskie18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:
(just waiting for the "fat tax" to come out of Congress)

Yeah, I'm waiting for that as well...and maybe when that hits, I'll have sufficient reason to get from obese to overweight, or at my "appropriate" weight.

In the meantime, I see no reason to decrease my quality of life simply because I'm fatter than the average person 100 years ago was, or because I'm fatter than what "society" claims I should be.
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by naskie18:

That or stop crying foul about being called 'fat' and being made fun of for weighing 350lbs. (not personally directed at you who proabably dont, but you get the idea)

Also, stop using the money from my insurance company to pay for weight induced diabetis treatments and heart conditions.

Im not quite sure when it became socially acceptable to be morbidly obese, but, well no, I wont say anything political, lol.

ThatFieroKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatFieroKidSend a Private Message to ThatFieroKidDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:

That or stop crying foul about being called 'fat' and being made fun of for weighing 350lbs. (not personally directed at you who proabably dont, but you get the idea)

Also, stop using the money from my insurance company to pay for weight induced diabetis treatments and heart conditions.

Im not quite sure when it became socially acceptable to be morbidly obese, but, well no, I wont say anything political, lol.

I think what he means is, as long as he isn't using tax dollars to cover healthcare or whatever, why should be stigmatized and forced to lose weight against his will. If he is happy with is body he sure as hell should be able to stay that way.
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
Stop being fatasses damnit
carnut122

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

One hundred years ago the life expectancy was 50 and the nutrion was poor. Plus you had to phyically work at any job. There were not many cushy desk jocky jobs out there. There was no x-box for the kids to sit at a TV console to play. Even when I was a kid we played baseball, football and did lots of exploration, hiking the surrounding hills in the summer and winter.

An no drive-up widows with super-sizing along with food delivered to your door.

[This message has been edited by carnut122 (edited 11-30-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
100 yrs ago it was perfectly ok to call someone fat instead of today's beating around the bush and calling them obese.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 11-30-2011).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2011 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

You are both wrong. The evidence is everywhere. Look around. The problem today came about because of the advent of diet sodas.
naskie18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2011 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:

No argument there, that's actually the form I expect the "fat tax" to take, insurance premiums will be significantly higher for those who are "obese" or "overweight" compared to "healthy".

Originally posted by maryjane:
100 yrs ago it was perfectly ok to call someone fat instead of today's beating around the bush and calling them obese.

You think calling someone obese is preferred to calling them fat? Perhaps I've got my definitions wrong (very possible), but I would expect "fat" to include everything that's over a "healthy" weight, whereas "obese" is worse than "overweight".

And just to bring some humor back into this discussion:

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2011 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

You are both wrong. The evidence is everywhere. Look around. The problem today came about because of the advent of diet sodas.

huh? nothing to do with overeating and lack of exercise?

Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2011 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
This is progress. People used to have to pay to see a 600# man. Now they can see one for free at their local Wal*Mart.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2011 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
I am amsued by little fat kids who's faces are so fat they can barely open their eyes

meanwhile - it would be nice if fatties problems didnt spill over into impede others - but it does.
most are just insignificant things - but - the medical impacts are real. and, as long as we insist on "spreading the load" thru garbage like insurance or nat'l health care junk - other people pay for these "enititled" gluttons.

and, yes, you are still allowed to make fun of them. just realize these days, you maybe outnumbered. end up with a stampede of fatties. but - fear not. a brisk walk for 20 paces, and the stampede will be winded......or point that way, and yell "FREE PANCAKES!!"
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2011 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

I am amsued by little fat kids who's faces are so fat they can barely open their eyes

meanwhile - it would be nice if fatties problems didnt spill over into impede others - but it does.
most are just insignificant things - but - the medical impacts are real. and, as long as we insist on "spreading the load" thru garbage like insurance or nat'l health care junk - other people pay for these "enititled" gluttons.

and, yes, you are still allowed to make fun of them. just realize these days, you maybe outnumbered. end up with a stampede of fatties. but - fear not. a brisk walk for 20 paces, and the stampede will be winded......or point that way, and yell "FREE PANCAKES!!"

Insurance is not a scam, but when you involve the government, then yes... it is. That is what insurance does.... spreads the risk. Of course, I don't believe anyone should be forced into insurance. If you don't have insurance, then you need to live with the consequences. No free rides. Even basic insurance is reasonably priced.
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2011 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Insurance is not a scam, but when you involve the government, then yes... it is. That is what insurance does.... spreads the risk. Of course, I don't believe anyone should be forced into insurance. If you don't have insurance, then you need to live with the consequences. No free rides. Even basic insurance is reasonably priced.

thats a matter of opinion. yes, I agree no one should be forced into it - and that includes auto insurance. in fact - I believe no one under 30 should even bother with it. save that money. keep for yourself, dont let some insurance racket take your $$$, and give it to fatties so they can get their insulin and blown out knees replaced. and - if something bad does happen, most likely some other insurance will cover it - and - if not - a loan will still have cheaper payments than what insurance costs nowadays.

but, yes, I do feel that insurance in general is a scam/racket. and, it is a form of shirking responsibility.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post12-01-2011 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Right, its real hard to compare today's society to 100 years ago and be fair.
PFF
System Bot
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post12-01-2011 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

The concept may not be, but the industry has turned it into a scam/hedge fund.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2011 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

thats a matter of opinion. yes, I agree no one should be forced into it - and that includes auto insurance. in fact - I believe no one under 30 should even bother with it. save that money. keep for yourself, dont let some insurance racket take your $$$, and give it to fatties so they can get their insulin and blown out knees replaced. and - if something bad does happen, most likely some other insurance will cover it - and - if not - a loan will still have cheaper payments than what insurance costs nowadays.

but, yes, I do feel that insurance in general is a scam/racket. and, it is a form of shirking responsibility.

Hmmm, I donated a kidney to a 24 year old. The docs were only aware of this issue about 1 year before total shutdown. So you are saying she should have just used a loan to pay the $300K+ to the hospital... and maybe $100K a year for prescriptions for the rest of her life? Who would give out such a loan? Insurance was about $100 a month. You never know when/if you are going to need to be hospitalized, but since not everyone is in the 1%, we need other options besides being in debt for the rest of our lives (or dead because we couldn't afford treatment). What other insurance would have covered this? Maybe if she was hit by a car and it damaged the kidneys before they shutdown, then that person's auto insurance would have paid???
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2011 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

jaskispyder

21510 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by Nurb432:

The concept may not be, but the industry has turned it into a scam/hedge fund.

Agreed, too many lobbyist.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2011 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

huh? nothing to do with overeating and lack of exercise?

No. Nothing. 'Ya see, diet soda eliminates the need to diet or exercise, apparently.
It was sarcasm, .
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2011 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Hmmm, I donated a kidney to a 24 year old. The docs were only aware of this issue about 1 year before total shutdown. So you are saying she should have just used a loan to pay the $300K+ to the hospital... and maybe $100K a year for prescriptions for the rest of her life? Who would give out such a loan? Insurance was about $100 a month. You never know when/if you are going to need to be hospitalized, but since not everyone is in the 1%, we need other options besides being in debt for the rest of our lives (or dead because we couldn't afford treatment). What other insurance would have covered this? Maybe if she was hit by a car and it damaged the kidneys before they shutdown, then that person's auto insurance would have paid???

feel free to spout off exceptions. they are everywhere. and - again - look at them numbers - that person is NEVER going to actually pay their own way, are they?

$100/month insurance, eh? well, at least we know you are spewing forth a true story

and, while we are spewing sob stories, you would apparantly would be more than happy to let that same person NOT receive treatment if they were poor?
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2011 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

feel free to spout off exceptions. they are everywhere. and - again - look at them numbers - that person is NEVER going to actually pay their own way, are they?

$100/month insurance, eh? well, at least we know you are spewing forth a true story

and, while we are spewing sob stories, you would apparantly would be more than happy to let that same person NOT receive treatment if they were poor?

Why are you being a JERK? yes $100 a month. That is what this person paid. The company she worked for offered it up as a benefit. What they paid, I don't know and my point is that SHE PAID $100 a month. A lot cheaper than a loan, which she would have never gotten. As for being an exception, wrong, there are more and more people who need care and never get it. When you enter the hospital because of smoking related illness.... are you going to go out and get a loan? Or just live with the heart attack or stroke? Or are you betting that you will never need to visit a hospital and pay over $10K? Good luck with that. My step-son was in for 2 days and it was $6K. Stay a week and see how quickly those bills add up. You will be selling your home to pay for medical coverage for a 2 week stay in the hospital.

I am not heartless.... there is coverage for the poor. If there wasn't government coverage, they you would see more "poor" buying insurance to cover themselves (instead of another TV or cell phone), or there are places who will pay for medical coverage for such individuals. It is up to the person to be responsible for themselves.

The person I am talking about went to college, got a good job with benefits. If a person chooses to not have medical coverage... then that is their choice, they will have to live with their decision. No one forced it upon them. It isn't heartless, it is reality. They are an adult and time to make a decision and live with it.

Geez, try to show you a real world example of someone who was known to be healthy, but then needed a very expensive treatment and you act like I am trying to pull a fast one on you. Let's face it, with the cost of medical coverage being what it is, being without health insurance of some sort is just insane. Sure people do it, but frankly, I have better things to do with my life than worry about one accident wiping out my savings and my assets.

Oh, and NO, this person won't "pay their way"... that is the whole idea behind insurance... the risk is spread out. What do you think insurance is, a savings account??

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 12-01-2011).]

DevilWithout a Cause

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-01-2011 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DevilWithout a CauseSend a Private Message to DevilWithout a CauseDirect Link to This Post
Gabriel Iglesias

what level is he?
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2011 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Why are you being a JERK? yes $100 a month. That is what this person paid. The company she worked for offered it up as a benefit. What they paid, I don't know and my point is that SHE PAID $100 a month. A lot cheaper than a loan, which she would have never gotten. As for being an exception, wrong, there are more and more people who need care and never get it. When you enter the hospital because of smoking related illness.... are you going to go out and get a loan? Or just live with the heart attack or stroke? Or are you betting that you will never need to visit a hospital and pay over $10K? Good luck with that. My step-son was in for 2 days and it was $6K. Stay a week and see how quickly those bills add up. You will be selling your home to pay for medical coverage for a 2 week stay in the hospital.

I am not heartless.... there is coverage for the poor. If there wasn't government coverage, they you would see more "poor" buying insurance to cover themselves (instead of another TV or cell phone), or there are places who will pay for medical coverage for such individuals. It is up to the person to be responsible for themselves.

The person I am talking about went to college, got a good job with benefits. If a person chooses to not have medical coverage... then that is their choice, they will have to live with their decision. No one forced it upon them. It isn't heartless, it is reality. They are an adult and time to make a decision and live with it.

Geez, try to show you a real world example of someone who was known to be healthy, but then needed a very expensive treatment and you act like I am trying to pull a fast one on you. Let's face it, with the cost of medical coverage being what it is, being without health insurance of some sort is just insane. Sure people do it, but frankly, I have better things to do with my life than worry about one accident wiping out my savings and my assets.

Oh, and NO, this person won't "pay their way"... that is the whole idea behind insurance... the risk is spread out. What do you think insurance is, a savings account??

because $100/month is BS. yes, maybe that was the co-pay for employer provided coverage - which rarely exists anymore. anyone who has look knows that health coverage is more like $400-$600 a month. and that is a sizable amount. that is a house payment. or expensive car payment. in most cases - THROWN AWAY. out the window. yes - there WILL be exceptions. people love to throw compitition & strong survive crap around - why not here as well? many seem perfectly happy to deny poor people health care - why is that OK, but thinking like this is being a jerk?

and - yes - the risk is spread out - that is the whole idea behind nat'l health care.

so - yes - MOST folk would be better off WITHOUT health insurance, especially in there young adult lives. but - that would so cripple the pool that those left buying insurance would be paying crazy rates. the exact same reason people are forced into auto insurance - to subsidize a certain few. most dont actually have any need for auto ins. NONE AT ALL.

and this topic once again highlites why the insurance system sucks.

and - BTW - you would be AMAZED how cost effectively doctors & hospitals can actually be when you dont have insurance. 75% savings. which also highlites what a scam the whole thing is.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2011 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:anyone who has look knows that health coverage is more like $400-$600 a month. and that is a sizable amount. that is a house payment. or expensive car payment. in most cases - THROWN AWAY. out the window. yes - there WILL be exceptions. people love to throw compitition & strong survive crap around - why not here as well? many seem perfectly happy to deny poor people health care - why is that OK, but thinking like this is being a jerk?

and - yes - the risk is spread out - that is the whole idea behind nat'l health care.

so - yes - MOST folk would be better off WITHOUT health insurance, especially in there young adult lives. but - that would so cripple the pool that those left buying insurance would be paying crazy rates. the exact same reason people are forced into auto insurance - to subsidize a certain few. most dont actually have any need for auto ins. NONE AT ALL.

and - BTW - you would be AMAZED how cost effectively doctors & hospitals can actually be when you dont have insurance. 75% savings. which also highlites what a scam the whole thing is.

Wow, drugs can mess with your head.
1)MOST folk would be better off WITHOUT health insurance, especially in there young adult lives.
A: One broken leg, or like a brother in law of mine, failed gall bladder would leave you in debt as bad a student loan. Ever heard of a skateboard accident?

2) most dont actually have any need for auto ins. NONE AT ALL.
A: And how are the uninsured going to pay for my car and injuries when they failed to notice some dirt on the road and smash into me because they failed to keep a safe distance for the environment?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2011 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

So are those "widows" the wives of fat guys who died of complications from diabetes?

It just blows me away to see overweight people buying/drinking Diet Coke by the gallon who figure they're doing something healthy simply because they're not buying the regular crap.
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2011 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I know I see overweight people now far more that i used to. Seems that 7or 8 out of every 10 are big. I saw a lady on tv complaining about how hard it was to get enough food with community pantries and government food credit. She didnt look like she had any problems, she had to weigh 300 pnds. I didnt feel even slightly sorry for her. If she got to near normal weight, she wouldnt be spending $50 @ day for food.
naskie18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2011 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by DevilWithout a Cause:

Gabriel Iglesias

what level is he?

He's "fluffy", which is level 4.

[This message has been edited by naskie18 (edited 12-01-2011).]

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

because $100/month is BS. yes, maybe that was the co-pay for employer provided coverage - which rarely exists anymore. anyone who has look knows that health coverage is more like $400-$600 a month. and that is a sizable amount. that is a house payment. or expensive car payment. in most cases - THROWN AWAY. out the window. yes - there WILL be exceptions. people love to throw compitition & strong survive crap around - why not here as well? many seem perfectly happy to deny poor people health care - why is that OK, but thinking like this is being a jerk?

Do you have health and auto insurance? If so, what level of insurance do you have? I assume only the legal requirement, correct? When you need to go to the hospital, do you shop around for a few days first? How about a broken leg, will you shop around a few days to find the best price for setting the leg and getting a cast? Do you haggle with the doctor over the cost of the service before he revives you after a near death experience?

Medical care does cost a lot and if you can save 75% by not having insurance, that is great, do it. I would rather be one of those "suckers" who pays into the system to be covered. I want to retire one day, instead of the hospital owning my home. Another example? My brother died from complications of cancer. Surgery ran over $300K for the 4 months he did survive. Because it was a brain tumor, he needed surgery to remove the tumors to allow him to communicate with us. Should we have just said "hey doc, what is your best price, or what is the cheapest solution... can't you just get a drill and a icecream scoop to remove some pressure?" Frankly, the surgeon was an artist and did an excellent job. If my brother didn't have insurance, and he survived, he would have been looking at being in debt to the hospital for most of his life and my family would have had to help with prescriptions and such. It would probably have brought my parents into financial ruin. You can take the gamble, but for me, I would rather pay for the safety net.... sure it isn't perfect, but it is better than the alternatives... death or lifetime debt.

BTW, you are being a jerk because you think I am making this up. Do you need to see the scar from my kidney donation? Oh, I guess I could have saved money and just got a knife and cut it out myself while soaking in an ice bath. Why pay a professional to do something you can do at home? Health coverage costs vary... there is nothing stopping someone from shopping around to find the best coverage at the lowest cost. I selected a job based on pay and benefits. I could find a job with better pay and no benefits, then I would pay more for my insurance. It is just a trade-off, but it is not excessive, but instead, just part of being prepared for the future. I have never paid $500 a month for health insurance, even when I bought it out of my pocket. I paid less than $100 a month for coverage of major accidents.

My step-son was in the hospital from a spill from his bike.... $6K for hospital visit plus some other expenses which ran up to about $7K total. What kid in college can afford this? Good thing we had insurance to cover this. BTW, if he didn't go to the hospital for treatment he would have died.

His friend, same age, just had her appendix out, she also would have died without treatment

Two more examples of young people needing medical care and without it they would have died. The cost of insurance is small when you look at this. Sure, both of these could have been paid for out of pocket, but why take the risk and bring about decade long debt?

Also, I don't think you really get the idea behind insurance.... you pay on the chance that you may need it, not that you will need it. Is it a scam? Nope, it is an INSURANCE against future debt, or even death. Do you have insurance on your home, or your belongings? I know I couldn't afford to rebuild my home if it burnt down, as I would have to take from my retirement. It isn't worth it, as my retirement makes more money than what I pay for insurance. Will I even collect on home owners insurance? Probably not in full, but already I have gotten some money back from mother nature's damage. I would rather be conservative.

INSURANCE: A system to protect persons, groups, or businesses against the risks of financial loss by transferring the risks to a large group who agree to share the financial losses in exchange for premium payments.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I have absolutely nothing personal against heavy/ fat people if thats the way they chose to be. What does give me a problem is when they complain about it. I used to hear 'i cant help it, i have a bad thyroid condition and I cant change it'. If that was true, apparently 80% of the population should be on thyroid medication.
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
It just blows me away to see overweight people buying/drinking Diet Coke by the gallon who figure they're doing something healthy simply because they're not buying the regular crap.

I can't help but at that as well...
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

So are those "widows" the wives of fat guys who died of complications from diabetes?

You are assuming they believe it is healthy. I love diet coke... I would drink regular soda, but I can't shed enough calories to justify it. Plus, there is caffeine in diet coke. For me, I dislike the taste of plain water, I would rather have something flavored. Maybe you would rather the person buy regular coke? What would that prove? You are jumping to conclusions about why they are drinking diet coke.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

You are assuming they believe it is healthy. I love diet coke... I would drink regular soda, but I can't shed enough calories to justify it. Plus, there is caffeine in diet coke. For me, I dislike the taste of plain water, I would rather have something flavored. Maybe you would rather the person buy regular coke? What would that prove? You are jumping to conclusions about why they are drinking diet coke.

The conclusion I've "jumped to" years ago is that people who drink vast quantities of this crap just don't give a damn about their health, whether they're drinking regular or "diet" pop.

The next time you're downing a cool "diet" beverage of your choice, sit down and read a little about Aspartame.

America is fast becoming a country of diabetics. Perhaps also read This the next time you're enjoying a Diet Coke. And then pour it down the drain...
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
For sure one hundred years ago I was a lot thinner than I am now. A LOT thinner!

But seriously, I started putting on the spare tire when I got married... just like all my friends did.
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
HI all

This is going to be found a couple of ways, but the more obvious will be 2 ways. Some will think I am right, and some will think I am wrong. I actually find that being over-weight is a kind of slow suicide, just like smoking.. Of course the first argument will be, but people live long lives, well, so do smokers.... Irony though does not come with a sense of humor.. For I am over-weight. Really sux TOO!!!! I had a stroke, and now my heart pumps out at 50% less then a so-called "normal person", whatever that is... It stinx!!! I walk 1 mile aday at a rate of 1.7 miles n hour, and I start to sweat, my heart feels heavy, and I wonder if i'll ever be able to look fit again.... The stroke happened on 12-31-2010, at 33 years old.. This year, my mother has now the same heart problems as I do, but it wasn't a stroke that caused it.. My grand-father and his son, my uncle died of heart attacks, a cousin also had a heart attack, but he survived.. His account is actually more of a luck situation though... They call his blockage, "The widow maker". My cousin though was never a person who worked out. And me, i've already been told that my heart may not make a 100% recovery.. Course I take that with a grain of salt as that is pretty much any account a person goes through in life with...

It's funny how much of your life changes after finding out a person is not bullet proof, stupid stroke, actually go through now, periods of not being able to remember words I want to use.. But I can use other words to help describe what I am talking about... I don't mean to use the words bullet proof... But what the elders say of a teenager who thinks nothing will happen to them HAHA, I laugh now, but it bugs the crap outa me, not being able to remeber that stuff.. Actually wonder what will happen next in that kind of situation.... Just this year I found out my estranged father is losing his mind, is actually going out with Demensia... Course his situation is a little more complicated as he was a drug user... Actually knew what mary jane smelt like before I ever saw it in real life, lol.....

Course, yeah, before the stroke I never thought of being over weight or even obesity at all.... Actually, I am one of the few who tried the idea to love the personality before the body, don't judge a book by it's cover thing, course it didn't take but a week to realize that I am just as shallow, well maybe less or so I like to think, as those who say so without trying it....... Now I wonder, were they shallow, or did they answer themselves honestly, questioning whether or not looks do play an important role... Now I wear a 2X size sweatshirt, I tell people that I like the room, but it's also a hide the gut thing..... Well I guess it's kinda true, liking the larger sweatshirts, but it also is too hide my gut... But there are people who actually are more attracted to the larger person... It's actually built in me to like a more robust person, a big-boned woman, but that gets infused with liking athleticism too... Life is funny....

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines....
Enzo Ferrari...

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen.... An advancement, of other
voices I came across.

S.F??, hint, it's a car manufacturer....

Do not walk infront of me, I may not follow. Do not walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and be my friend forever.
-unknown- found here: http://crystal-cure.com/love-quote.html

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock