Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  What movies are in need of being remade? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
What movies are in need of being remade? by Toddster
Started on: 08-08-2011 09:57 PM
Replies: 51
Last post by: Toddster on 08-11-2011 01:59 PM
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
In relation to another thread. What movies had the right idea but just came off wrong the first time around?

I always thought the 50's sci-fi movie "The Day of the Triffids" would be a GREAT movie if remade with modern movie effects and some decent screen writers who could do the original book justice.

Also, the original movie "Dune" was too melodramatic with David Lynch directing. I would love to see a descent remake.

What movies are on the top of your list?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Xyster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XysterSend a Private Message to XysterDirect Link to This Post
In twenty years Fight Club and Idiocracy will be at the top. Right now? Smokey and the Bandit.
TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xyster:

In twenty years Fight Club and Idiocracy will be at the top. Right now? Smokey and the Bandit.

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!! They should NEVER remake Fight Club. That movie was sooo good that it's... well it's perfect! Edward Norton and Brad Pitt!!! Who do you suggest replace them? Noone! That movie can't get better, so they should just leave it alone.

Smokey and the Bandit? Meh. Excellent classic but I don't think it would be very relevant. Would be neat to see a 2012 Trans Am though.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
The entire Dirty Harry series and still starring a much older Clint Eastwood.

Edit......And Married with Children

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 08-08-2011).]

Xyster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XysterSend a Private Message to XysterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheRealShadowX:

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!! They should NEVER remake Fight Club. That movie was sooo good that it's... well it's perfect! Edward Norton and Brad Pitt!!! Who do you suggest replace them? Noone! That movie can't get better, so they should just leave it alone.

Smokey and the Bandit? Meh. Excellent classic but I don't think it would be very relevant. Would be neat to see a 2012 Trans Am though.

Ok. You're right about Fight Club. And in twenty years the majority of the world's population (or at least the US) will be to stupid to appreciate Idiocracy.

Smokey and the Bandit could be cool though. Remake it with RRunners Fiero instead of a F-body.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post08-08-2011 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheRealShadowX:

You are, without a doubt, 100% undeniably correct.
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
Noooooo, Smokey and the Bandit was brilliant as it was. That would be like remaking the Casablanca, you don't mess with perfection.
TommyRocker

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
The Final Countdown would be cool with modern effects if they could get good actors and scripts...

Also, The Philadelphia Experiment.

[This message has been edited by TommyRocker (edited 08-09-2011).]

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Harry Potter. (more $$$$)

Star Wars (Super Hyper edited 'full' version)

Attack of the Killer Tomatos

Istar

Mindwalk

Slacker.

The Yule Log.

[This message has been edited by FieroRumor (edited 08-09-2011).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Plan 9 From Outer Space.

The original sucked.

Any chance they could redo Sleepless in Seattle where he chases harlots, gambles like a lunatic, drinks till he's falling down thru the whole show then throws the female lead off the roof right at the end?

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 08-09-2011).]

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
Some of the old disaster movies are just so cheesy by today's standards. Movies like Towering Inferno, the Airport series, Earthquake, etc.

I didn't like Citizen Kane, but I don't know how it would be modernized and yet make the same statements.

How about the Incredible Shrinking Man?

Originally posted by TommyRocker:

The Final Countdown would be cool with modern effects if they could get good actors and scripts...

[This message has been edited by Cheever3000 (edited 08-09-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
None.. hollywood should come up with some ORIGINAL ideas instead of trying to spoon feed us regurgitated crap at twice the price.

Ok.. maybe one... "The Brotherhood of Satan" could sorely use a remake.
timmer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timmerSend a Private Message to timmerDirect Link to This Post
day of the triffids was redone and it was not bad , made for tv it was
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

The entire Dirty Harry series and still starring a much older Clint Eastwood.

Edit......And Married with Children

I liked Gran Torino, so id like those myself.

A new MWC would be great, wonder who would play Kelly. There are a huge number of very hot stars out there now....I wouldnt be able to pick one. Of course remake would have to still have to have Al as dad.

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-09-2011 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Dirty Dancing.

Lionsgate announced on Monday that "Dirty Dancing" is going to get a reboot -- songs from the 1960s would be added, and "Dancing" choreographer Kenny Ortega (who came up with the "dirty" dance itself) will direct.

It's a fun concept, but who can possibly fill Patrick Swayze's shoes as Johnny?

Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by timmer:

day of the triffids was redone and it was not bad , made for tv it was

Yeah? I wonder if it was shown here in the states. I wouldn't mind seeing it. But I still think it would make a great picture on the big screen.
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Toddster

20871 posts
Member since May 2001

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

I didn't like Citizen Kane, but I don't know how it would be modernized and yet make the same statements.

Funny you mention that because even thought critics rank it as one of the best movies ever made I have never liked it that much. I suppose in a sense I can see what they mean from an artistic standpoint, but it was too dark, too overacted, and it requires the audience to suspend disbelief too much for the message to register.

The problem is, who would you trust to remake it?
Bullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BulletSend a Private Message to BulletDirect Link to This Post

They could do allot with this one today.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bullet:

They could do allot with this one today.

Yeah, but it would all be CGI - not "real" stunt driving.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
As unlikely as it is, I'd like to see them remake "Stroker Ace, Stand On It", but have it be more true to the book. The original screen play was so disconnected from the book and so stupid in its entirety I can't stand it. But the book however, was a fall-off-the-couch laugh riot. If they did it true to the book it would be worth doing.

[This message has been edited by Taijiguy (edited 08-09-2011).]

Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
I have to admit, there is one really great movie I would love to see modernized, The Gumball Rally!
PFF
System Bot
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xyster:

Smokey and the Bandit could be cool though. Remake it with RRunners Fiero instead of a F-body.

The original premise was bootlegging Coors across the Mississippi.

Re-do B movies (or movies that sucked):

Barbarella
The Evil Dead
Robot Monster
Catwoman
Destroy All Monsters
Class Of Nuke 'Em High
Nazi Surfers Must Die
The Toxic Avenger
The Plague Of The Zombies
Seventh Voyage Of Sinbad
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

The original premise was bootlegging Coors across the Mississippi.

True that is.

Without the law, which was changed in 1980, the movie has lost relivence. Not even factoring in the lack of Pontiac, a Trans Am and Cledus Snow.

Cledus passed away, he was after all the Snowman.

[This message has been edited by htexans1 (edited 08-09-2011).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Fast Times At Ridgemont High

The Amazing Colossal Man

The Omen

The Graduate

Tunnel Vision (Many of you won't remember this one, but it was way ahead of its time.)
and the Groove Tube (similar concept)

I can think of some ideas for new movies too.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-09-2011).]

miketria

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for miketriaSend a Private Message to miketriaDirect Link to This Post
Escape from New York and Los Angeles
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toddster:

Also, the original movie "Dune" was too melodramatic with David Lynch directing. I would love to see a descent remake.

Lynch's Dune dialog was mostly right from the book....
Same thing for SciFi mini series... From Dune, 40th Anniversary Edition written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson but given author credit to Frank.

Seeing Dune as only a movie? IMDb said in development for 2014. I'm not in a hurry to see it... Just Brian and Kevin milking the franchise again.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Nazareth

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NazarethSend a Private Message to NazarethDirect Link to This Post
Flash Gordon.... Gotta keep the soundtrack though!
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nazareth:

Flash Gordon.... Gotta keep the soundtrack though!

Highlander
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-09-2011 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

"Fast Times At Ridgemont High" cannot be remade.
Just like "The Breakfast Club".

They are themselves onto themselves.

It would be like trying to remake "Coolhand Luke".
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
Their remaking RED DAWN!!!!
WOVERINES!!!!!

[This message has been edited by RotrexFiero (edited 08-09-2011).]

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

WOVERINES!!!!!

The film was scheduled to be released on November 24, 2010, but was shelved due to MGM's financial troubles, and is now set for a 2011 release, maybe 2012...
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-09-2011 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

The film was scheduled to be released on November 24, 2010, but was shelved due to MGM's financial troubles, and is now set for a 2011 release, maybe 2012...

Yup, plus I believe they have had to change enemies twice, due to "complaints".

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 08-09-2011).]

partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post
Can't believe this far down and not one of you has mentioned "Fritz The Cat".
Xyster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XysterSend a Private Message to XysterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

WOVERINES!!!!!

I hope it's the Chinese this time. Keep it just as threatening as the original.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Original was Russian, remake was Chinese now it's North Koreans...

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 08-10-2011).]

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

Gokart Mozart

12143 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by partfiero:

Can't believe this far down and not one of you has mentioned "Fritz The Cat".

Originally posted by Boondawg:

"Fast Times At Ridgemont High" cannot be remade.
Just like "The Breakfast Club".

They are themselves onto themselves.

It would be like trying to remake "Coolhand Luke".

timmer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timmerSend a Private Message to timmerDirect Link to This Post
Time Bandits needs to be redone
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Just heard on the news that Jeff Daniels said Dumb and Dumber 2 is being written and Jim Carrey will be in it also.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Just heard on the news that Jeff Daniels said Dumb and Dumber 2 is being written and Jim Carrey will be in it also.

Wasn't there a second and 3rd already made? Dumb and Dumberer and When Harry Met Loyd?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Do you know the pool scene with Phoebe Cates was rated as the sexiest scene in a movie just a year or two ago. Close behind was pool scene with Denise Richards in 'Wild Things".

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock