Started on: 07-22-2011 05:39 PM
Replies: 48
Last post by: Old Lar on 08-14-2011 09:59 AM
fierofetish

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post07-22-2011 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
I know many of you 'know' my dog Zwerver. You will possibly know he has survived 6 years+ suffering from Leishmaniosis, which usually kills its victims within weeks.
Well, it is back. He is covered all over in blisters, in the last few hours,and can't stop scratching. He has lost 8lbs in weight. from 50lbs down to 42lbs in a very few days. He is shedding his fur a lot. Took him to the vet this evening, and she gave me some medication, and the chance of cortisone injections if it doesn't improve by Monday.
I am trying so hard to be positive.
I have cancelled buying the Nissan tonight, in case we need to spend a lot on keeping him well.
Perhaps you will keep him in your thoughts please.
Don't know what I will do if I lose him now.
I hate to see him suffering.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post07-22-2011 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
I will keep you all in my positive thoughts.
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2011 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
I watched my best friend suffer for a long time... it's hard. Really f'n hard.

Here's hoping he wakes up in the morning feeling better than ever
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2011 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Damn, I've actually been thinking a LOT about him lately, especially after you got rid of your Fiero.

Hope he's ok...
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2011 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-22-2011 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
RANT:
I'm really sick and tired of Life kicking us all the time. It's always the same thing. We get knocked down and down and down, and then a little luck comes along to pick us up a bit. Then it comes back and kicks us again. And I keep on trying to smile and be happy.
I'm tired of fighting.
But...am I being greedy? 6 years ago I was on my knees praying for a few more weeks to come to terms with us losing him. My prayers were answered with 6 years of pure joy. Now I am pleading again for him to get well again.
I won't get through 7 months every year on my own without him
End of rant.
Thanks Boonie, Skuzz and Chris.
One way or the other...the Fiero has been a salvation. But what a price to pay
Nick
8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2011 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Nick, I know how hard it is to lose a little buddy.
And Zwerver has surprised all of us in the past.

Don't count him out just yet, but if he does pass, try to remember the good times, the joy he has brought you, the smiles. And when you are comfortable with it, I am SURE Zwerver would want you to have another little buddy to keep you company.

You will all be in our thoughts... I hope all works out well.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2011 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:

I know many of you 'know' my dog Zwerver. You will possibly know he has survived 6 years+ suffering from Leishmaniosis, which usually kills its victims within weeks.
Well, it is back. He is covered all over in blisters, in the last few hours,and can't stop scratching. He has lost 8lbs in weight. from 50lbs down to 42lbs in a very few days. He is shedding his fur a lot. Took him to the vet this evening, and she gave me some medication, and the chance of cortisone injections if it doesn't improve by Monday.
I am trying so hard to be positive.
I have cancelled buying the Nissan tonight, in case we need to spend a lot on keeping him well.
Perhaps you will keep him in your thoughts please.
Don't know what I will do if I lose him now.
I hate to see him suffering.

Nick,
Ask your veterinarian if Miltefosine (a/k/a Impavido or Miltex), might be ok for your dog. It is used for humans, but *might* be ok for canines, I don't know for sure.
The vet should be able to calculate dosage if it is applicable for Zwerver.
YOU also need to be aware, if you're not already, that the parasite can infest humans as well, so please take proper precautions.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 07-22-2011).]

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-22-2011 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Randye...and yes. We have known that all along There was a time when I got a nasty bite on my arm, and it was thought quite possible I had been bitten by the same Phlobotemus fly that bit Zwerver. I was also told thsat Leishmaniosis only kills Humans with low or no immune system, although many hundreds, if not thousands of People die from it in the Mediterranean Basin area.
I'll certainly mention your advice above to our vet on Monday
Thanks again.
Nick
ARFiero

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2011 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARFieroSend a Private Message to ARFieroDirect Link to This Post
Nick,

My thought and prayers go to you and Zwerver.

Thinking of you all,

Shelby and Lisa
DRA

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2011 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post
Hang in there Nick!

------------------
Dealing with failure is easy: work hard to improve. Success is also easy to handle: you've solved the wrong problem, work hard to improve.

PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2011 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Zwerver has good vibes and prayers from here as well. Sorry it is coming back again and hope all goes well for him, and you. Funny how an animal can bring a grown man to his knees when they get sick or hurt.

Good luck Zwerver and Nick. I hope you get through this as quickly and painlessly as possible. A speedy recovery for him, and you Nick. I know how much this is tearing you apart.

Steve, Melanie, Amanda and all the rest of the menagerie are pulling for you Zwerver.

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-22-2011 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again all I just got back from picking Ellie up from her work, and he seems to have calmed down a bit with the scratching.
Back to dry biscuits and water for a while: no more chicken until he is better. It is too much protein in his diet that causes the Leishmaniosis to flare up, usually
he won't like that
Nick
PS the guy with the Nissan phoned and said not to worry: he will hold the car for at least a week before he tries to sell it again

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 07-22-2011).]

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-23-2011 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
It has got worse during the night.
This was meant to be a happy day: I have to go sign the contract, finally, to do the welding job and get half the money up front which was going to ensure we get through the winter. Instead it will hopefully help to save our Boy. Just hope we have some left at the end of it all. But I don't really care.
It has returned so damned suddenly, with no real warning. I should have known, if I love him as much as I think I do.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-23-2011 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post

fierofetish

19173 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Just found the basterd fly that has bitten him again. It is tiny...no bigger than a fruit fly, about 2mm wide.

No way of stopping them getting into the house. They make no noise at all.
How can such a tiny thing be so damned deadly?? Just went to get some teabags from our spare room, where Zwerver likes to lie down during the hot weather because it is so cool in there.
Shyster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShysterClick Here to visit Shyster's HomePageSend a Private Message to ShysterDirect Link to This Post

I won't get through 7 months every year on my own without him
End of rant.

Yes, you will. If it comes to that, you will. It just won't be pleasant. It will suck, but many other people have lived through far, far worse, and lived.
fierogirls-mom

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogirls-momSend a Private Message to fierogirls-momDirect Link to This Post
Crap......sorry to hear about this, I was hoping it would be gone for good.

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-23-2011 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Of course you are right, Perry. But it won't be fun any more
Darlene...I was pretty sure it would come back. I was warned by the Vets and research on the internet. Still not prepared for it though.

Originally posted by Shyster:

Yes, you will. If it comes to that, you will. It just won't be pleasant. It will suck, but many other people have lived through far, far worse, and lived.

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-23-2011 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post

fierofetish

19173 posts
Member since Jul 2003
I just got home with Zwerver from the vet, before I posted the other thread, Hanging on my door knocker, was a plastic shopping bag, I took it down, and went inside. Zwerver was really curious about the bag, and when I opened it, I knew why. One of my neighbours, and I don't know which, knows Zwerver is sick again, They also know he can eat fish. In the bag, with no note or anything, was a packet of fresh frozen fish. I know who it is for.He will love it.

Some people just don't understand why kindness like this makes me cry.
Just try your best to be nice to Folk. It comes back to you in so many ways. I sometimes fail at it, but mostly succeed. It brings such joy

He never leaves my side, even when he is unwell.
I swept his fur up just 15 minutes ago, and there is now more.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Hoping for the best.

The Red Headed Stranger once sang:
Remember the good times they're smaller in number and easier to recall
Don't spend too much time on the bad times
They're staggering in number and will be heavy as lead on your mind

Don't waste a moment unhappy invaluable moments gone with the leakage of time
As we leave on our own separate journeys
Moving west with the sun to a place buried deep within our minds
Remember the good times...
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-23-2011 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
thanks GM.
Thankfully, we seem to have caught it in time, and the drugs are doing their work. he is scratching a lot less, and is sleeping peacefully on the bed next to Ellie. Looks like I'm on the couch tonight...which I will gladly accept Trying to not be overly optimistic, but fingers etc crossed, he will be a lot better in the morning. The rashes all over his body have subsided, and the fur loss has apparently stopped, or at least slowed down. can't wait for the morning, to see his 'smiling' face peering at me, asking for breakfast, and a walk.
The vet says we have done a good job keeping him fit, and giving him his medicine every day for the last 6 years, so he can fight it better. Most people stop with the drugs when their dog seems 'better', and they are too weak to fight it when it returns.
I am grateful for the reassurance and hopeful comments here, as ever. Now I must get some sleep...been awake for 48 hours At least I feel I can get some shuteye too, now.

God Bless you for your kindness...once again
Nick
PFF
System Bot
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Glad to hear he's feeling better!

edit: it's cool that one of your neighbors did that.

[This message has been edited by FieroRumor (edited 07-23-2011).]

jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Hey Nick, just wanted to offer my support also with prayers and good vibes for you, Elle and Zwerver. If I could send Zwerver a fish as big as a whale, I would but since I can't, here the catch of the day in spirit. Please give Zwerver a pat for me.
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
some info here,for anyone whos interested in Leishmaniosis.I wonder if a bug zapper would help.
http://www.leishmaniasis.info/
navigate the web sight useing the tabs,near the top.
Nick,Ive seen you on this forum maney years and you never realley ask for much of anything.I know you've been through alot latley so Im asking,that maybe we as forum members could help out,through Paypal,or possibley through an international money order, if you dont have Paypal.

For those of you who havent been fallowing along,Nick lives in Spain,with an unimployment rate of 21% and even higher where he lives at about 49%,combined with the pet bills and dailey liveing expensis, and I thought times can be tough here in the U.S.
8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Nick,
I am so glad zwerver is doing better!! Give him a pat for me!
tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post
We're keeping Zwerver in our thoughts and prayers Nick. He's a good dog and deserves better than nature has served him with this disease. Best of luck mate!
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post07-24-2011 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
I hope Zwerver is feeling better today?
Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
Nick, just saw this thread. Here's wishing Zwerver the best of luck in getting better, and well wishes

On another note, I got your package from DRA while I was in the hospital last week, many thanks! Very beautiful piece, and much gratitude It will get many years of use I'm sure
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-24-2011 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
:

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

some info here,for anyone whos interested in Leishmaniosis.I wonder if a bug zapper would help.
http://www.leishmaniasis.info/
navigate the web sight useing the tabs,near the top.
Nick,Ive seen you on this forum maney years and you never realley ask for much of anything.I know you've been through alot latley so Im asking,that maybe we as forum members could help out,through Paypal,or possibley through an international money order, if you dont have Paypal.

For those of you who havent been fallowing along,Nick lives in Spain,with an unimployment rate of 21% and even higher where he lives at about 49%,combined with the pet bills and dailey liveing expensis, and I thought times can be tough here in the U.S.

That is a very very kind thought, JB But honestly, the only thing I look for here is a place to air my happiness and sorrows. I would NEVER ever post anything for ulterior motives, and least of all to ask for money. I received the laptop from the generosity of Todd and the Forum, but I didn't know that was happening. It would be churlish of me to say I wasn't grateful in the extreme, but I didn't plan it that way, and, if I had known, I would have said 'No thanks...I so appreciate the thought, but I must deal with it on my own'.
So thanks again, but it is MY responsibilty to provide for Zwerver and my family, and I will do my best as long as I live .
Thanks to all you other kind folk for more kind words..they are worth much more than cash to me, believe me
Zwerver is up and down at the moment, and that is normal. He is eating, drinking, pooping and peeing, and wants to go for walks. So I hope and pray he has turned the corner again, and we can have another 6 years of a healthy, happy dog...and consequently, a happy family
And God Bless
Nick

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 07-25-2011).]

fierowitch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierowitchSend a Private Message to fierowitchDirect Link to This Post
Nick good vibes and prayers for the wonderful dog that loves you. Sounds like you cayght it early this time and knew what it was. If you need anything you know where we are.
fierowitch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierowitchSend a Private Message to fierowitchDirect Link to This Post

fierowitch

716 posts
Member since Oct 2010

I just got home with Zwerver from the vet, before I posted the other thread, Hanging on my door knocker, was a plastic shopping bag, I took it down, and went inside. Zwerver was really curious about the bag, and when I opened it, I knew why. One of my neighbours, and I don't know which, knows Zwerver is sick again, They also know he can eat fish. In the bag, with no note or anything, was a packet of fresh frozen fish. I know who it is for.He will love it.

Some people just don't understand why kindness like this makes me cry.
Just try your best to be nice to Folk. It comes back to you in so many ways. I sometimes fail at it, but mostly succeed. It brings such joy

How nice someone wanted to help with his special diet while he is sick. I hope he enjoys it.

He never leaves my side, even when he is unwell.
I swept his fur up just 15 minutes ago, and there is now more.

PFF
System Bot
USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
I don't know the safety for dogs, but Lysine has done good things for those people I know with skin problems, and Tea Tree oil/shampoo can ease almost any skin ailment as well as repel near anything.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-25-2011 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Thanks USFiero
The vet gave me medication: Rilexine 600 or Cefalexina 600 mg. Half in the morning, half at night.($80 for 10 tablets...YIKES!!) It certainly seems to be helping!
Having examined Zwerver really closely this morning, I couldn't find any infestations...but 10 minutes later, I had a couple of ticks walking on me His Scalibur collar is meant to deal with those! Anyway, outside into the garden, chained to the fence( ), he was de-infested with an anti-parasite shampoo...which he did NOT enjoy AT ALL!! If you could see his face Hehehe!!! )I told him 'It is for your own GOOD!...don't think he believed me though
Anyway, he is still eating and drinking normally, and the rashes and hairloss have gradually diminished.
I told him that, if he doesn't get better QUICKLY, it will be a shampoo every day for a week
I believe we are winning
Thanks to everybody for caring
Nick
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
cool
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post07-25-2011 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
..Get the Nissan to make money so more misfortune does not come & bite you on the azz then ram the sphinter muscle into your guts because of poverty ..Do the best you can for the Dog ,often you have to man up because other animals & people depend on you.
For many years nothing bothered me because I knew what real suffering was, then I wimp out because a few trucks ran over me ,Now whining & sniffling are often my life ,but I also have to Man up .You do what is best for the family majority, make hard decisions.
More life is comming ,,misfortune drives a fuel dragster ,the good times ??oxcart.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Anyway, outside into the garden, chained to the fence( ), he was de-infested with an anti-parasite shampoo...which he did NOT enjoy AT ALL!! If you could see his face Hehehe!!! )I told him 'It is for your own GOOD!...don't think he believed me though
Nick

------------------

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

84fiero123

29950 posts
Member since Oct 2004

Thanks USFiero
The vet gave me medication: Rilexine 600 or Cefalexina 600 mg. Half in the morning, half at night.($80 for 10 tablets...YIKES!!) It certainly seems to be helping!
Nick

Melanie said these are the same thing, only 250MG and 100 per bottle at $39.50.

http://www.qcsupply.com/542202-cephalexin.html

Don’t know if they will ship over there. Google fish antibiotics or check your local agricultural supply store.

Steve

------------------

tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
Nick

No matter what happens, you have now.

That's all I can say, so take advantage.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-01-2011 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Just a VERY happy ending to this thread
Zwerver has come through it all again, with a relatively clean bill of health. We are keeping his weight to below 40lbs, and he is looking good for it. Fur loss has almost stopped now, and he is back to his normal, loving, mischievious ways
Thanks to you all for caring so much..
Nick
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2011 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Thanks for keeping us informed.

Steve

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock